Leave the heavy texts (Kandel's Neuroscience and Alberts' MBC) at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm packing right now and I'm tempted to take these two books with me, as I know they are great reference books and I've used them before in class so I've already hi-lighted a lot of chapters. However, I wonder whether I'll even look at them in med school? Plus, I'm betting my med school library will have them on the shelves. Should I still take my own? They're awfully heavy, but maybe it's worth having your own copy.

Members don't see this ad.

oompa loompa said:
hey guys, I'm packing right now and I'm tempted to take these two books with me, as I know they are great reference books and I've used them before in class so I've already hi-lighted a lot of chapters. However, I wonder whether I'll even look at them in med school? Plus, I'm betting my med school library will have them on the shelves. Should I still take my own? They're awfully heavy, but maybe it's worth having your own copy.

Honestly, you will have more than enough resources to look at. Most people get by nicely on just the note-set and lecture slides, and perhaps look at a board review type book as a backup resource. The big texts will probably sit dusty on your shelf.

My two cents:

You'll NEVER need either text while in school, unless you're working in some sort of research lab. Trust me. My copy of Alberts sits forlornly on my bookshelf nowadays. The books are usually more detailed and have a different focus than your class' syllabus. This is doubly true for the Kandel book.

EvoDevo said:
My two cents:

You'll NEVER need either text while in school, unless you're working in some sort of research lab. Trust me. My copy of Alberts sits forlornly on my bookshelf nowadays. The books are usually more detailed and have a different focus than your class' syllabus. This is doubly true for the Kandel book.
I second that! Sell them on e-bay and make some money!
Buy BRS instead, or High Yield.