1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Leave the heavy texts (Kandel's Neuroscience and Alberts' MBC) at home?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by oompa loompa, Jul 31, 2006.

1. oompa loompa

oompa loompa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey guys, I'm packing right now and I'm tempted to take these two books with me, as I know they are great reference books and I've used them before in class so I've already hi-lighted a lot of chapters. However, I wonder whether I'll even look at them in med school? Plus, I'm betting my med school library will have them on the shelves. Should I still take my own? They're awfully heavy, but maybe it's worth having your own copy.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Honestly, you will have more than enough resources to look at. Most people get by nicely on just the note-set and lecture slides, and perhaps look at a board review type book as a backup resource. The big texts will probably sit dusty on your shelf.

4. EvoDevo

EvoDevo Forging a Different Path
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My two cents:

You'll NEVER need either text while in school, unless you're working in some sort of research lab. Trust me. My copy of Alberts sits forlornly on my bookshelf nowadays. The books are usually more detailed and have a different focus than your class' syllabus. This is doubly true for the Kandel book.

5. Bubchik

Bubchik Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I second that! Sell them on e-bay and make some money!
    Buy BRS instead, or High Yield.