Leave Walgreens as a P4 for Publix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MindOverMatter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, and sorry in advance for another "which retail chain to choose" thread, but I just found myself in a quandary, and could use some advice.

I've been an intern for Walgreen's for 4 years now, and really enjoy it there. I have seen my stores move from pre-to-post power, and overall I still find my job enjoyable. I love the computer system, hours, pay, and how Walgreen's is on the cutting edge of the retail world (for better or worse). I never thought I would work anywhere else, aside from maybe a per diem job at a hospital, which I am still looking into.

However, I am just now finishing up my community rotation at a Publix and my mindset has completely changed over this last month. I have seen the light, as they say. The decrease in stress working there has really made me begin to wonder if this would be something that I should pursue. Additionally, my preceptor has been discussing the benefits and limitations of working for the company, and it has really started to make me think.

So yesterday, the regional pharmacy supervisor stopped in our store. When he first came in to the pharmacy, my preceptor mentioned that he should hire me, to which he said "well I have a lot of people applying for the same position." Then apparently after watching how I work/interacted with patients, he told me I was at the top of the list and offered me a position. If I decided to accept the offer, I would start immediately as an intern, and then move to a pharmacist once I graduate.

So here I am, on one of my 3 days off this week (thanks to Publix scheduling), contemplating my future. Any help? Here's what I have so far in weighing the pros/cons.

Pros of Walgreen's

• great computer system
  • 8 hour days
  • higher pay
  • locations nationwide (can move anywhere in the country)
Cons of Walgreen's

• higher stress
  • drive-thru
  • longer night/weekend hours
  • less time for clinical functions
Pros of Publix

• less stress
  • better hours (M-F 9-9, Sat 9-7, Sun 10-5)
  • 6 holidays off each year (never have to work Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc)
  • small enough patient base to feel that you have your own "practice" (as strange as that sounds)
  • more time for clinical duties
  • great stock options
  • no drive-thru (at most locations anyway)
  • Publix deli :)
Cons of Publix

• antiquated system (this store is still on PDX until end of the year)
  • less pay
  • locations only in the southeast US
  • give away free antibiotics/metformin (which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it)
I told the supervisor that I would think about it for a day or two, but I'm kinda on the fence, yet leaning toward Publix. I just hate having to tell my boss and a company that I've devoted 4 years to that I am going to go somewhere else right at the moment when I would make an impact. It's not my style to leave a job like that, but I feel that it may be a better decision for me in the long run.

The pay issue isn't that big of a deal, as the difference between the two is basically evened out when the stock options are included. And the money has never been the big issue for me anyways. What I'm really thinking is that I might burn out of retail much quicker at Walgreen's than I would at Publix. Plus, did I mention the deli?

Anyways, any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I will be checking this thread periodically. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go with Publix. Unless someone who works there knows something about the company I don't, go with Publix.

Looks like publix is the better option, I've neither worked for wags or publix and strictly going off your post, it seems like the better fit for you.

and on another note, +1 for your excellent formatting/grammar, i usually don't read these posts, but your writing skills & succinctness made it an easy read. kudos to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be less money but the lower stress and better hours add more positives than you can even imagine.

A small patient population will also add to your job enjoyment. I shadowed a pharmacist at a WAGS that loses nearly half their patient population when winter rolls around and people head south. He was really frustrated with WAGS because they had went from 8 to 10 to 12 hour days and with his hour commute, he had no day left. But he said he would never leave because he loved his patient population so much.

Publix, without a doubt. I have never worked there, but I adored shopping there. They always had the cleanest stores, the nicest and most helpful employees, the best selection, I would be surprised if that level of service didn't continue to their pharmacies. Plus it tends to draw a slightly nicer clientele. I really miss going to Publix.

The grass is always greener on the other side >_>

Oh, you got 4 years in for WAG, you count that benefit for working 4 years too?

Looks like publix is the better option, I've neither worked for wags or publix and strictly going off your post, it seems like the better fit for you.

and on another note, +1 for your excellent formatting/grammar, i usually don't read these posts, but your writing skills & succinctness made it an easy read. kudos to you.

hah, I was just thinking this as I opened the thread. MindOverMatter always has something legitimate to contribute. Congrats on being in this position in the first place!

Well thanks guys. It seems pretty unanimous so far. I've talked to my parents as well, and they are also on the side of Publix. I do feel lucky to be in this position, considering all the grads that are out there still looking for a job. I just don't know how I'm going to tell my current boss that I've found something better. But I guess I'll have to find a way.

Well thanks guys. It seems pretty unanimous so far. I've talked to my parents as well, and they are also on the side of Publix. I do feel lucky to be in this position, considering all the grads that are out there still looking for a job. I just don't know how I'm going to tell my current boss that I've found something better. But I guess I'll have to find a way.

just be honest with your boss. you've been faithful to the company for 4 years and it sounds like you've been a decent (at worst) employee. just be aware of the possibility of burning your bridge with walgreens and may not be able to go back to that particular store/company.

dude. Jump on that publix offer NOW.

Wait until you have a written letter or communication from Publix. Get a meeting with your DM or pharmacy supervisor. Make sure you thank them for everything they have done for you over the last four years. Explain that you received an offer that is better for you at this point in your life. Don't go into details or explain why the offer is better, that way you don't have to say Walgreens sucks. Make sure you stay positive. Give plenty of notice, but be prepared to get fired on the spot. Also make sure they have signed off on any paperwork that has to be submitted to the State Board. Also make arrangements to meet with your preceptor and thank him or her.

wait until you have a written letter or communication from publix. Get a meeting with your dm or pharmacy supervisor. Make sure you thank them for everything they have done for you over the last four years. Explain that you received an offer that is better for you at this point in your life. Don't go into details or explain why the offer is better, that way you don't have to say walgreens sucks. Make sure you stay positive. Give plenty of notice, but be prepared to get fired on the spot. Also make sure they have signed off on any paperwork that has to be submitted to the state board. Also make arrangements to meet with your preceptor and thank him or her.

qft

Wait until you have a written letter or communication from Publix. Get a meeting with your DM or pharmacy supervisor. Make sure you thank them for everything they have done for you over the last four years. Explain that you received an offer that is better for you at this point in your life. Don't go into details or explain why the offer is better, that way you don't have to say Walgreens sucks. Make sure you stay positive. Give plenty of notice, but be prepared to get fired on the spot. Also make sure they have signed off on any paperwork that has to be submitted to the State Board. Also make arrangements to meet with your preceptor and thank him or her.

Never jump ship without having the next step firmly in place...

Publix is an awesome place to shop - The deli sandwiches are the best by far. I've heard nothing but praise for the pharmacy (my wife uses them). I think you are making a great choice.

Thanks Old Timer, that's good advice. What type of paperwork would they have to send to the State Board? I'm just a lowly pharmacy intern. I didn't think there would be any notification needed at all, but I may be wrong.

So I told the regional supervisor of my decision today, filled out an application, and did the drug screening/background check. I haven't told Wags of my decision yet, and in fact I'm even working there tomorrow. But I'm not going to say anything until I get something in writing from Publix.

Thanks for all your help guys. Now I'll go back to posting random pics/gifs in threads. :)

Thanks Old Timer, that's good advice. What type of paperwork would they have to send to the State Board? I'm just a lowly pharmacy intern. I didn't think there would be any notification needed at all, but I may be wrong.

I think he means get someone at Wags to sign off on your intern hours completed...I don't know what state you're in, but most states require intern hours and that they be vouched by a pharmacist you worked with. It's easier to get it now than later.

I think he means get someone at Wags to sign off on your intern hours completed...I don't know what state you're in, but most states require intern hours and that they be vouched by a pharmacist you worked with. It's easier to get it now than later.

Ah, gotcha. Well these hours were not part of my internship requirement, just for money/experience.