Leaving ABIM Research Pathway to do postdoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfuddledPhud

Reaction score
I'm a PGY2 in the ABIM research track (fast track/short track). I've recently been thinking of finishing PGY2 and just doing a research postdoc.

Are there any options to practicing medicine if I leave the fast track for a postdoc, and later decide I want to do medicine again? Any options to practice medicine with just two years of IM under my belt if say my research career tanks and I want to return to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PGY2 in the ABIM research track (fast track/short track). I've recently been thinking of finishing PGY2 and just doing a research postdoc.

Are there any options to practicing medicine if I leave the fast track for a postdoc, and later decide I want to do medicine again? Any options to practice medicine with just two years of IM under my belt if say my research career tanks and I want to return to medicine?

No, not good ones. Unless research is the only thing you want to do---academia, industry, etc, which would likely require 1, maybe 2 postdoctoral periods (likely 5 years of research training, perhaps a little less if you already have a PhD)---then finish your residency and get BC'd.

You can do WTF you want afterwards, and you'll be in a better clinical position (if so desired, by you or your future employer).

Reactions: 1 user

The short answer (as @DrMetal) pointed out, is no. The longer answer is also no, but how to make it all work out for you in the end depends on what sub-specialty you're in. Depending on this, and the program you're in, you may only have one more year of fully clinical work before you can settle in to 2-3 years of a true 80/20 (or even 90/10) research/clinical position. This will get you BE in 2 specialties and dramatically expand your future career options.

Quitting IM after 2 years is perhaps an even bigger waste than not doing residency at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it unless you have an iron clad career path ahead of you on research. It doesn't make sense to give up the stable career prospects of medicine to go into the completely unstable research path. Talk to any recent grad or post doc. You'd probably have to repeat residency to go back to medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Second @gutonc. I completed the ABIM research pathway in cardiology. You are not board eligible with only two years of internal medicine training (unless you return and do a third year of medicine) which would limit your future career opportunities. At this point, you should:

A) Complete a third year of internal medicine (which at most programs entails significant elective time that can be used toward research)
B) Do a short, outpatient-focused sub-specialty (e.g. allergy, rheum, endo, geri, sleep, etc.). It is only 1 year of clinical training (which is likely more pleasant than residency) followed by three years of >80% protected postdoctoral research time (which you plan on doing anyway).

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely finish residency in this case or matriculate to fellowship. One issue is my research interest is fairly specific (IE I'd like to go to a specific institution for postdoc but did not get an interview there for fellowship).

What do you all think about finishing IM, then going elsewhere for a postdoc? I imagine having IM residency completed would keep some doors open to return to medicine if the postdoc didn't pan out?

Last edited:
If you step away from clinical medicine after residency for any period of time, you may find trying to get back in a challenge. Clinical skills atrophy quickly if not used.

And then there's this: I tell my mentees that you learn 50% of what you need to know during your residency/fellowship, 25% in the first six months of your first job, and the last 25% over the rest of your career. So you can see that any atrophy is a big problem.

I'm confused about "you're a PGY-2 in the research track" and "you didn't get an interview with the fellowship". Usually the fellowship in the research track is at the same institution as the residency -- that's the whole point. So you wouldn't be interviewing for anything. If your program doesn't guarantee a fellowship spot and now you're not getting one, that's a more complicated situation -- you'd now no longer be in the research pathway, and might suggest you'll have problems getting a fellowship elsewhere.

Regardless, path forward is relatively straightforward. If you're in the ABIM research pathway, you should plan to complete that locally. try to do research that's proximate / applicable to your long term goals. Consider asking your local mentor if a collaboration with this other site/lab is an option. Once complete, you apply for a position at this other institution. If you're in the research pathway but staying at your home program is untenable, then ask to switch to standard training and apply for fellowship next year -- although you'll need to be prepared to explain that on interviews and you'll have some risk of not getting a fellowship at all. If you're not in a research pathway, then finish PGY-2 and apply for fellowships as a PGY-3. Consider a research year after completing fellowship at the program of your dreams, or just apply for a job.

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely finish residency in this case or matriculate to fellowship. One issue is my research interest is fairly specific (IE I'd like to go to a specific institution for postdoc but did not get an interview there for fellowship).

What do you all think about finishing IM, then going elsewhere for a postdoc? I imagine having IM residency completed would keep some doors open to return to medicine if the postdoc didn't pan out?

Your planned path is very atypical, with probably very little data point to say which is best.

The most important thing is your long-term career planning. Do you want to be a physician-scientist PI vs pure research PI vs industry or others

From what I know, physician-scientist PI is still easier than than a pure research PI (grant application difficulty, though overall still highly competitive. Please correct if I am wrong). Dose your research interest match any subspecialty of medicine? If so, you will probably be better to subspecialize. If you do post-doc after residency, and then go back to fellowship. There might be gap of research when you do your your fellowship. Clinical skill atrophy is also an issue but since the purpose of fellowship is to train you new clinical skills. It is probably a smaller issue in my sense.

So you could do fellowship after residency, and then research post-docs at your aimed institution.

If your plan is to become a pure research PI (0 clinical time), then go ahead and do research post-docs after residency. If your research dose not work out, as long as you are broad eligible, you will be able to find a physician job (I have seen many physicians whose clinical skill sucks despite continuous practice.....and they still have a job)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The ABIM doesn't have any restrictions on doing your research at another institution. Your home institution needs to be supportive of it.

I am a little confused. Are you in the internal medicine or clinical subspecialty pathway? If the former, you need 2 years and need to dedicate 3 years thereafter to 80/20 research to clinical. Are you wanting to do a post-doc to get away from the 1 day a week clinical time? Is your institution lacking in research labs that you are wanting to do your post doc in?