Leaving Podiatry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giants2008

THEMANTHEMYTH
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Way back when, some students from my class left, but usually because they wanted to pursue a different career. Really think hard about what exactly you want out of a career. As far as healthcare fields go, podiatry isn't very academically challenging compared to many other medicine fields.
Can you pinpoint the exact difficulty you are having? Being a first year student, I would guess that you may be struggling with basic sciences. Don't respond here but think back if you had problems with basic science concepts in undergrad, the types of study habits you have, and the mechanisms you use to learn.
The podiatry programs are designed to allow you to learn to think clinically, view the body in systems...neuro, vascular, derm, skeletal, etc. There isn't any advanced math and it all should make sense to you at some point in time, hopefully by the end of 2nd year. The didactic basic science work is only 2 years. You may go back to it as needed to apply a basic science concept to a live clinic patient problem.
The students who graduated near the bottom of my class are doing very well in practice.
Best of luck in your decision!

If you like the subject (medicine) and want to work with your hands, you should consider going to a 5 year plan. Does your school offer this? It's easy to get discouraged at the early stages, but it's not a clear picture of what things will be like long term.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been following SDN for years now. I have recently entered a Podiatry School in the fall and I think I have made a poor career choice. Before entering school I thought Podiatry would be a good fit for me because I want to work with my hands and help patients; however, as school goes on I am getting "cold feet" because of the length of time in school and I do not feel I can hatch it. My grades are just passing and I have heard school doesn't get any easier. At the current time, I am only 24 years old so I am still young enough to make a change. From hearing my story, do you guys think I should leave schol? Or are these feelings normal?

Thanks,
Giants 2008

I can tell you from experience that pod school is tougher than people think but anything worth while is going to cost you to get it.
You need to talk an upper class-man or a prof with details, I can not tell you what to do, however I believe PA is only 2yrs, PT is 4yrs so if I was to choose btn the 2 I would pick PA.

. As far as healthcare fields go, podiatry isn't very academically challenging compared to many other medicine fields.

Podpal,

Sorry doctor, but speak for yourself and your own practice. I find practice challenging and the academic portion of practice is as challenging as you want to make it.

Making a blanket statement like that is simply irresponsible. Not all DPM's have simple practices, and some of us treat some relatively complicated cases as well as perform complicated surgical procedures. I would consider this academically challenging.

Maybe you simply haven't challenged yourself enough or raised the bar high enough.

As far as healthcare fields go, podiatry isn't very academically challenging compared to many other medicine fields.

That's not very helpful advice for the op...who is struggling to pass his classes.

Going back to the topic, it is really a personal heart wrenching decision that the op must figure out for him or herself. If you have a passion for podiatry, then stick it out a bit longer into the clinical years. Otherwise, consider an alternative career goal.

I undersand where you are coming from OP. It sounds like you like the field, but you are not getting the grades you want. It took me a while to get into the groove fot studying for these level of classes. Definitely talk to professors and other classmates about how to succeed in their classes. Working with one or two other people helps me out to discuss topics and to force me to study. What do you call someone who graduates POD school that got all C's? ... A DPM. THere are many Podiatrists out there that barely squeeked by and are doing great. I have wanted to quit many times and switxh to the PA program. But I stuck with it and am doing well. It does seem like a long time for school and residency, but in the grand scheme of things, its only a few more years than starting completely over in a new field at this point. If you don't like Podiatry, then do something else. But if the only thing holding you back is hard classes and 3 years of residency, then suck it up and work hard.
You are an adult now and your youth is over. It's fun being an adult. You can enjoy your time while in school. You are working really hard now so you can enjoy the second half of your life a lot more. If you need some help with study tips or time management just send me a PM.

leaving opinion out of it, if you were to go PA, assume you have to wait at least a year to start, then 2 years of school. 3 years to finish PA, 3 years to finish DPM.

FWIW I found first year to be the most challenging. It got easier (for me) after that.

One of my classmates back then was having a hard time with classes, but he stuck it out and is now fairly well-recognized in our profession.

If it's a matter of "losing your youth" rather than academics, then I don't know what to do about that. I thought that's what undergrad was for.

PADPM and Podmeister seem to have found the 2 initial years of podiatry school challenging. Perhaps their undergrad education didn't prepare them for the level of basic science classes of 1st and 2nd year podiatry school.

I already had more difficult classwork in undergrad than was presented in pod school basic science 1st and 2nd year. Before pod school, I'd already tutored numerous people in basic sciences. Prior to pod school I was involved in training programs for RNs, MD's, and DO's for several different medicine topics. I had tutored many students in the basics sciences, a variety of biology classes, chemistry, physiology, etc. In my opinion the first 2 years of pod school were very unchallenging; it was repetitive material that I already knew and had already taught.

Compared with other Medical School training programs, MD or DO, podiatry basic science years leave out coursework that is presented to students in these other fields. Example: medical schools teach classes such as psychiatry and respiratory disease in much more depth. Going into a different medical field may not be any easier for you.

This was why I asked if you are simply having trouble with the basic sciences or with everything or if podiatry is simply an incorrect career option for you.

If you are only struggling with the basic sciences, this can be corrected with hard work and study. I promise you that if you work hard in the basic sciences the concepts will eventually click. Your school administrator may allow you to take some time off of the program without losing your place in the school. Personally, I tutored many students in basic science classes. Do you have a tutor? Your school should offer tutoring services for you for any course you are struggling with.

Before you make a decision to leave, consider visiting podiatrists in your area and see if you like the type of work that they do. The first 2 years are so different from the last 2 years. The final 2 years of training are VERY specific to podiatry, and the clinical training is outstanding. Podiatry is a very rewarding profession. I am so extremely proud of what our profession offers to the public, I can't say enough good words about it.

If you shadow a podiatrist you will see if it's all going to work out for you. Also, after you graduate, you will have ample time in residency to study the material for each rotation. You will see how the basic science concepts mesh with clinical concepts in fields like medicine.

Well, honey, don't give up until you are completely sure it is what is right for you. It's tough to decide things when you're just a kid, and you are very young. Think it through, and best of luck.

No offense, but if the first two years were so easy you must have practically aced your classes? And with such a high GPA and good clinical skills (as posted by yourself in the residency thread you started), why is it you have yet to land a residency? It is quite possible you are the one exception but typically people who have high GPA's, passed the boards the first time around, and have solid clinical skills land residency positions. Especially when there are more positions than applicants. Something just doesn't add up...

I totally agree with Podpal. Pod school isn't as challenging as I thought it would be. I have taken much harder classes at my undergrad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
PADPM and Podmeister seem to have found the 2 initial years of podiatry school challenging. Perhaps their undergrad education didn't prepare them for the level of basic science classes of 1st and 2nd year podiatry school.

I already had more difficult classwork in undergrad than was presented in pod school basic science 1st and 2nd year. Before pod school, I'd already tutored numerous people in basic sciences. Prior to pod school I was involved in training programs for RNs, MD's, and DO's for several different medicine topics. I had tutored many students in the basics sciences, a variety of biology classes, chemistry, physiology, etc. In my opinion the first 2 years of pod school were very unchallenging; it was repetitive material that I already knew and had already taught.

Compared with other Medical School training programs, MD or DO,
podiatry basic science years leave out coursework that is presented to students in these other fields. Example: medical schools teach classes such as psychiatry and respiratory disease in much more depth. Going into a different medical field may not be any easier for you.

This was why I asked if you are simply having trouble with the basic sciences or with everything or if podiatry is simply an incorrect career option for you.

If you are only struggling with the basic sciences, this can be corrected with hard work and study. I promise you that if you work hard in the basic sciences the concepts will eventually click. Your school administrator may allow you to take some time off of the program without losing your place in the school. Personally, I tutored many students in basic science classes. Do you have a tutor? Your school should offer tutoring services for you for any course you are struggling with.

Before you make a decision to leave, consider visiting podiatrists in your area and see if you like the type of work that they do. The first 2 years are so different from the last 2 years. The final 2 years of training are VERY specific to podiatry, and the clinical training is outstanding. Podiatry is a very rewarding profession. I am so extremely proud of what our profession offers to the public, I can't say enough good words about it.

If you shadow a podiatrist you will see if it's all going to work out for you. Also, after you graduate, you will have ample time in residency to study the material for each rotation. You will see how the basic science concepts mesh with clinical concepts in fields like medicine.

Well, honey, don't give up until you are completely sure it is what is right for you. It's tough to decide things when you're just a kid, and you are very young. Think it through, and best of luck.

Podpal,

Please don't put words in my mouth. I highly recommend that you re-read my post. I never mentioned anything about my experience during my years in podiatry school.

I simply commented on your statement that compared to other healthcare fields, podiatry isn't as academically challenging. I took that to mean that the actual field of podiatry wasn't academically challenging, since you never mentioned that the education process wasn't as academically challenging in your original post. If that was what you meant, you certainly did not make that very clear.

That is why I responded the way I did in my post. If you actually took the time to read my post, you will clearly understand that my response never mentioned anything about the educational process, but simply addressed the academic challenges during everyday practice.

OP -

I think that the time you spend in clinic really helps to bring points together. If you are at a school with an on campus clinic, visit it on your down time. it may help to ease your anxiety. Now that I've been getting some clinic time, it helps to show my what I'll be doing in just a few weeks time!

As for losing your youth - get over it. If you're worried about missing six nights a week at the bar, those days are for the first month after you turn 21. As a non-trad, I wish I would have just stuck it out back then. But you can always find a balance in your life, and you don't have to be stuck indoors 24/7. That was the key to my first two years...BALANCE!

No offense, but if the first two years were so easy you must have practically aced your classes? And with such a high GPA and good clinical skills (as posted by yourself in the residency thread you started), why is it you have yet to land a residency? It is quite possible you are the one exception but typically people who have high GPA's, passed the boards the first time around, and have solid clinical skills land residency positions. Especially when there are more positions than applicants. Something just doesn't add up...

I agree and have been wondering about this for a long time since podpal joined the forum.

Podpal,

Please don't put words in my mouth. I highly recommend that you re-read my post. I never mentioned anything about my experience during my years in podiatry school.

I simply commented on your statement that compared to other healthcare fields, podiatry isn't as academically challenging. I took that to mean that the actual field of podiatry wasn't academically challenging, since you never mentioned that the education process wasn't as academically challenging in your original post. If that was what you meant, you certainly did not make that very clear.

That is why I responded the way I did in my post. If you actually took the time to read my post, you will clearly understand that my response never mentioned anything about the educational process, but simply addressed the academic challenges during everyday practice.

If you actually took the time to read my post, you will clearly understand that my response never mentioned anything about practice, but simply addressed the lack of academic challenges during the initial 2 years of podiatry school.

Sorry, I strongly disagree.

This is YOUR direct quote doctor;

"As far as HEALTHCARE FIELDS GO, PODIATRY ISN'T VERY ACADEMICALLY CHALLENGING COMPARED TO MANY OTHER MEDICINE FIELDS".

I don't see any mention of the first years of school, or the educational process in those comments. All I read is the words "podiatry isn't very challenging academically". You didn't write that "podiatric EDUCATION" isn't academically challenging.

So I read your post perfectly correctly. You simply didn't state your point very well.

When I graduated there were not more positions than applicants. There were more applicants that positions. The profession appears to be facing this same challenge again. When I graduated I was licensed to practice right out of school. After a couple of years of trying for that elusive residency slot, I went into practice.

Sorry, I strongly disagree.

This is YOUR direct quote doctor;

"As far as HEALTHCARE FIELDS GO, PODIATRY ISN'T VERY ACADEMICALLY CHALLENGING COMPARED TO MANY OTHER MEDICINE FIELDS".

I don't see any mention of the first years of school, or the educational process in those comments. All I read is the words "podiatry isn't very challenging academically". You didn't write that "podiatric EDUCATION" isn't academically challenging.

So I read your post perfectly correctly. You simply didn't state your point very well.

OOh, you are getting your knickers in a twist about this, aren't you? I mentioned NOTHING about clinical practice. The original post was refering to the FIRST year of pod school. My post was in reference to the FIRST years of pod school. This child's concern is about the first year of school, let alone clinical material.

Why are you so aggressive toward me? I'm posting to help this kid make a good choice before she/he leaves a very rewarding profession. If this child goes into a different medical field the basic sciences aren't going to get easier. They can get harder though, as I mentioned, Medicine goes into much more depth in topics not covered in pod school. Let's get her/him through the basics before we nit pick about clinical material!

If your posts are indicative of your interpersonal skills, it's extremely obvious to me as a residency director why you may have had difficulty in the past obtaining a residency.

In one of your posts, you refer to the original poster as "honey". Now in your most recent post, you refer to this mature young adult as a "child".

Don't you find those two references just "slightly" degrading? First referring to the poster as "honey" than referring to the poster twice in your last post as a "child"???

I'm not getting my "knickers" in a twist, I'm simply defending MY profession, the one that you decided to insult. YOU clearly stated that our profession was not as academically challenging as other medical fields, no matter what you MEANT to say.

As a result, I defended my profession.

I would strongly recommend that you brush up on your communication skills which could certainly be contributing to your problem landing a residency program despite your "tremendous" class ranking and grades.

You didn't make your point very clear in your original post and then insult the original poster by called the poster "honey" and a "child", two terms which I personally find offensive and unprofessional.

I totally agree with Podpal. Pod school isn't as challenging as I thought it would be.

You're so full of crap. Unbelievable.

Don't you find those two references just "slightly" degrading? First referring to the poster as "honey" than referring to the poster twice in your last post as a "child"???

Honey is one thing, but child? CHILD?! haha. Talk about sounding old...

I don't get this talk about "losing your youth". As opposed to what, going out there in the real world, working 9-5, and regaining your youth? Unless you have kids to take care of with a family to support or you are older women wanting to have kids before your uterus shrivels away into another vestigial organ, I think school just prolongs your youth if anything.

If you balance your time you can have a blast, make friends, and enjoy schooling. For example, you can live on the beach in Miami, swim in the ocean every morning when it's warm, exercise and play intramurals with friends, party when you don't have midterms/finals, walk to the bikini bar on study breaks (one of my favorites), and the women here are endless. That's not to say I don't study hard because I study a LOT. But if you study hard, play hard too. There's nothing to "lose".

OP, whatever you do I urge you to not look at you education as a means to an end and miss out on life. Yeah it's corny as hell to say but it really is the journey (the "now") which should always be your focus: http://www.freshminds.com/animation/alan_watts_life.html

Dear Podpal,

Thanks for your words of encouragement and for giving me your opinions. I think PADPM is getting a little out of hand, I PERSONALLY do not find it offensive for Podpal to call me honey or child because I think it makes the post more personal. On another note, it is nice to get first-hand experience from someone who has been through it before. I guess all I can do now is "keep on fighting the good fight" and do the best I can. Thanks everyone for your opinions and I am amazed that my first post caused so much buzz lol.

Take care,
Giants2008

P.S. Paulywog, I will definitely private message you one of these days to pick your brain.

Giants2008,

Although you may not understand this early on in your training/career, I was attempting to do two things. First, I was attempting to defend our profession when it appeared that podpal was insulting our profession when she stated it wasn't as academically challenging as other health professions. It was not clear that she was referring to the educational process. And if she was, that certainly wasn't going to give you any more confidence.

Secondly, I was attempting to defend YOU. Although you were not personally offended by the use of her terms "honey" and "child" in her post, in reality there is a very fine line that should not and can not be crossed now that you are in PROFESSIONAL school. In a hospital setting, work environment, residency program, etc., those terms would not be tolerated and would be considered unprofessional and would be considered a form of harrassment. Whether or not you thought it was "nice" does not negate the fact that as a practicing professional, Podpal should have exercised better judgement when she was dealing with a student in professional school and referred to you as "honey" and "child".

I'm sorry that you didn't understand the true intention of my posts, and instead only saw my posts as "out of hand". Maybe now you'll "get it".

You're so full of crap. Unbelievable.

Honey is one thing, but child? CHILD?! haha. Talk about sounding old...

I'm old enough to be her/his mother. I am oldish but I'm still podalicious! In my area of the country we refer to people as honey all the time. It's a term of endearment, not disparaging in any way. I refer to most young people as kids or children and treat them like they are my own. Thanks for the post honey!

If your posts are indicative of your interpersonal skills, it's extremely obvious to me as a residency director why you may have had difficulty in the past obtaining a residency.

In one of your posts, you refer to the original poster as "honey". Now in your most recent post, you refer to this mature young adult as a "child".

I'm not getting my "knickers" in a twist, I'm simply defending MY profession, the one that you decided to insult. YOU clearly stated that our profession was not as academically challenging as other medical fields, no matter what you MEANT to say.

As a result, I defended my profession.

I would strongly recommend that you brush up on your communication skills which could certainly be contributing to your problem landing a residency program despite your "tremendous" class ranking and grades.

You didn't make your point very clear in your original post and then insult the original poster by called the poster "honey" and a "child", two terms which I personally find offensive and unprofessional.

I wouldn't call you HONEY. You are too mean!:(

Not mean, just honest.

podpal said:
When I graduated there were not more positions than applicants. There were more applicants that positions. The profession appears to be facing this same challenge again. When I graduated I was licensed to practice right out of school. After a couple of years of trying for that elusive residency slot, I went into practice.

You learn new things every day. I wasn't aware of a single year as of late where every slot was spoken for. Even last year there were 20+ positions that went unfilled...interesting

Podpal -

You clearly have no idea how to interact appropriately in a professional setting. If anyone referred to me as "honey" or "child" in a the context of a professional conversation, which this forum certainly is, I would be immensely offended.

Regardless of how much older you are, regardless of where you are from, there is no excuse for being so utterly tone deaf with regard to professionalism.

"child" or "honey" would be kind of creepy coming from someone other than my parents or wife. Should we start a new thread for podpal and PADPM?

You learn new things every day. I wasn't aware of a single year as of late where every slot was spoken for. Even last year there were 20+ positions that went unfilled...interesting

I am with dtrack here, when was the last time every position was filled?

"child" or "honey" would be kind of creepy coming from someone other than my parents or wife. Should we start a new thread for podpal and PADPM?

Paulywog,

Other than showing complete disrespect, what exactly is your point?

Do you have a problem with the fact that I commented on my thought that podpal's use of the terms "honey" and "child" were both unprofessional and inappropriate?

Apparently you don't because you even stated you would find the use of those terms "creepy" coming from anyone other than your parents or wife.

So exactly what point were you attempting to make with your post? Would you simply like to see a debate between podpal and myself or would you like to take on that honor?

Sorry to jump in here, but I would like to add something:

What people post in writing can, and usually will, be misinterpreted as you, PADPM, have done with Paulywog's "honey" post. Paulywog was making a cynical joke, not attempting to ruffle feathers. His context was actually referring to (and thereby SUPPORTING) the same notion that you made (but in funnier/more light-hearted terms) of: the use of calling someone "honey", etc. is inappropriate in a professional setting. I would say "but I'm sure you know that", but the fact I am writing this shows that you do not. But this is all besides the point.....No need to begin time-wasting debates about useless semantics.

Last edited:
And the new thread idea is referring to your incessant need to be correct and to correct incessantly, even when it is not needed. Paulywog is most likely (again semi-jokingly) inferring that you and Podpal should discuss the NON-issue elsewhere or not at all....right Paulywog?:D

And the new thread idea is referring to your incessant need to be correct and to correct incessantly, even when it is not needed. Paulywog is most likely (again semi-jokingly) inferring that you and Podpal should discuss the NON-issue elsewhere or not at all....right Paulywog?:D

My incessant need to be correct and to correct incessantly? I guess wanting to be correct may have contributed slightly to my success in practice and to why patients keep coming back to me. Sorry that I don't accept mediocrity or inaccuracies.

When you reach my point in your career, and you've been involved with as many aspects of our profession as I have, regarding practice, the APMA, ACFAS, ABPS and residencies, I'll be happy to accept your criticism.

Yes, I always strive to be "correct" and since this is a forum where I've attempted to educate students, residents, etc., I thought that providing useful, accurate and "correct" information would be appreciated by the majority of the members of this site.

And that is apparently reflected by the significant amount of private messages I receive daily thanking me for many of my posts that I've taken the time to answer/write on this forum.

But some get it, some don't and I'm never going to please everyone.

Paulywog,

Other than showing complete disrespect, what exactly is your point?

Would you simply like to see a debate between podpal and myself or would you like to take on that honor?

THESE two statements are why I felt like saying anything at all. Yes, you have proven to everyone on these forums (I have been reading many of your posts over time) that you have all the experience in the world under your belt, and yes, your CORRECT knowledge is appreciated by many (on occasion myself included)... but to puff up your chest and strut your stuff about almost EVERYTHING when someone brings up a point or possible flaw in a statement/argument of yours, is borderline narcissitic and overtly "cocky". NO ONE is ALWAYS correct (as you know) and even with all the accolades and accomplishments in the world, you can't always know what others mean in their online babblings or intercessions, and to dissect them into meaning something that they don't, can prove foolish. Ask any married couple as to the truth of that...SIDE NOTE: It's also important to remember that in these forums, one can still learn something...even from those of lesser accomplishment.

Again, Paulywog was agreeing with you (as I do) that saying "honey" or "sugarplum" or whatever is inappropriate in a professional setting...Regardless of profession. His semi-cynical comment for you to "take the argument with podpal somewhere else" is a notion probably seconded by many...There is no need to "call him out" on it as if he is disrespecting you. Or Podpal for that matter, unless they directly CALL YOU OUT(which NO ONE has ever really done, or needed to do, in these forums)...

“To become truly great, one has to stand with people, not above them.”
-Charles de Montesquieu

I'm only a lowly pre-pod but I think this thread has been maxed out. No more useful information is being shared for the OP to use in helping with his/her decision. The Moderators of this forum should lock it so no one else can post.

studywithfury is 100% correct. This has gone "off-topic" and has now gotten personal.

I have a significant amount to say regarding your comments jpevball, but will restrain myself.

If you have anything else you'd like to comment on, PM me and I'll me MORE than happy to respond.

jpevball -

I know it's your own prerogative, but a first year trying to call out an attending sort of sucks.

Although you may not agree with everything your attendings tell you, if a patient isn't at risk, disagree in your head. PADPM works very hard to educate us. If you don't like his posts, hit ignore.

If you think PADPM is cocky and narcissistic, wait until you're on externships or have visited more places...

My opinions are unwelcome in Podiatry.

My Opinions are unwelcome in Podiatry.

jpevball, thanks for the backup. (We actually went to undergrad together and know eachother quite well) It is true what jpevball wrote that I was actually agreeing with YOU! There have been many situations in my life where texting or wiriting comments in forums have come accross with a different meaning than intended. It is hard to read a sentence, sometimes, and know the emotion behind it. I was trying to say to stay on topic and if you want to move away from the topic, then start a new thread. Now see what happened?
I would never try to disrespect anyone on this forum, especially a Podiatrist with as much knowledge and skill as PADPM. I am sure we would get along great in "real life." I have read many of your comments and have learned a ton. Sometimes you might let your emotions get the better of you. What we write doesn't always come accross as we would like it. THe last few comments of yours "came accross" really cocky and arrogant (I'll give that to jpevball). We are not trying to say you are not a great Podiatrist. Being a great podiatrist does not always equal a great communicator on forums. Some things you said were not that expected from a professional of your caliber. Again, what you wrote might have been different in your head, but most of us read your comments as a bit authoritative. Just because we have less experience doesn't automatically mean we are wrong and you are right. If we were arguing over a surgical procedure, you would obviuously be the expert. But when it comes to interpreting what I wrote, you are not the expert. jpevball knows me better than you and is the expert. You threw in the "I've been on here longer than you and been around podiatry longer than you" attitude, and it came off a bit offensive. I still respect you tremendously and will continue to read what you write. I will try to be more specific and clear when writing in these forums. I honestly was not trying to disrespect you, it was quite the opposite.

The first year covered Anatomy, Biochem, Physio, Histology, Immunology and Neuroscience. It was challenging in the sense that so much information was covered and forced down your throat, especially the anatomy labs, although I had most of the other classes in my undergraduate curriculum. The second year covered general medicine, pharmacology, pathology, biomechanics, and podiatric medicine/surgery, which I never had any exposure in undergrad so yes it was also challenging. I really doubt that any undergrad programs include those courses in the second year but you may prove me wrong.

That is quite a blanket statement made by podpal. I really think it all depends. ESPECIALLY those schools that take the first year with the regular medical students, it is an extremely challenging year. My first year was very challenging at DMU. My 2nd year wasn't quite as bad but was still fairly rough.

That is quite a blanket statement made by podpal. I really think it all depends. ESPECIALLY those schools that take the first year with the regular medical students, it is an extremely challenging year. My first year was very challenging at DMU. My 2nd year wasn't quite as bad but was still fairly rough.

I agree with jonwill.
I attend a pod school where there is no DO integration, and all I can say is some of the first year classes are easier than CC classes (for me atleast).

I was wondering about podiatry schools affiliated with DO schools VS independent podiatry schools. Are classes like anatomy, biochem, histo, etc really that different depending on whether your affiliated or not. Do the schools affiliated with DO programs go into more detail, etc. Any input would be great! Thanks

let me clarify by different I mean more difficult. Maybe DO affiliated schools are harder because they curve the class with the med students??

let me clarify by different I mean more difficult. Maybe DO affiliated schools are harder because they curve the class with the med students??

Would anyone even be qualified to answer this question... no one has been through both DO affiliated schools and non affiliated schools to compare. I could be wrong on this maybe someone transferred over or something but I doubt anyone can give a good reliable answer to this question.