LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know a lot of people get rolling bags to carry the massive number of books required for PBL. I was just wondering if there was a favorite style or brand that people liked, or any advide on the best place to buy them. Plus, I was wondering how necessary you think the wheels are. Would you be okay carrying a sturdy canvas bag? And, roughly speaking, how many books do you bring to class with you?

I would definitely get wheels. I've seen 1 or 2 people without them, but IMO, they're a MUST. How many books depends on the person and your facilitator and your group members...etc. I usually bring between 5-8 with more on my computer as e-books.

Alot of people have these rolling plastic boxes from Staples, but I just have a rolling carry-on type thing that I use for now. I might upgrade soon though...it's a little too small and flimsy.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends how many books you want to bring in with you. In some groups you may try to work out who is going to bring which book, but that was just a pain. So I just used one of those rolling type carry-ons which pretty much held all my books (except a couple or so that I didn't use much or need every day).

I just kept the suitcase in my car so that way no matter where I studied I had them all right there, nice and neat.

If you go that route get one with decent, hard, durable wheels. These really weren't made to carry THAT much weight and I ruined the rubber wheels of my first one within the first wheel rolling it on the concrete back and forth from school.

I would definitely get wheels. I've seen 1 or 2 people without them, but IMO, they're a MUST. How many books depends on the person and your facilitator and your group members...etc. I usually bring between 5-8 with more on my computer as e-books.

Alot of people have these rolling plastic boxes from Staples, but I just have a rolling carry-on type thing that I use for now. I might upgrade soon though...it's a little too small and flimsy.
absolutely get wheels! hauling all that crap back and forth gets old really quick. wal mart has a samonite with an external zipper for your laptop so you can take it out without dumping out your books. you can carry around 6+ books plus accessories like charger, pens, clipboard...etc. I think it was $40. also ebags.com had some cheap ones a few years ago when I was looking

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Sorry to change the subject, but if anyone has any news about the alternate list, would you please please please post?!? :confused: I am starting to lose hope!

well hey, while we're busy changing topics.

Are there no places to rent in Eastern Bradenton? I've got 5.5 million responses for West Bradenton off of Cortez, but Craig is definitely failing in his listing of Eastern Bradenton place for rent for cheap. I'm dissappointed in him.

Are there no places to rent in Eastern Bradenton? I've got 5.5 million responses for West Bradenton off of Cortez, but Craig is definitely failing in his listing of Eastern Bradenton place for rent for cheap. I'm dissappointed in him.

Have you checked the SGA site? http://lecomsgabradenton.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=159&board=51.0 Sometimes rooms or places for rent will pop up on there.

If you're looking at apartments just check directly with some of the complexes that are near the school..... Colonial Grand, Lake Vista, Yacht Club, etc... There are quite a few, can do a google search for what is around here.

Also check out http://www.realtor.com/ Can search for rentals, and try putting in Lakewood Ranch, FL instead of Bradenton. Probably won't get as many results but they'll all be over on the east side here.

Have you checked the SGA site? http://lecomsgabradenton.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=159&board=51.0 Sometimes rooms or places for rent will pop up on there.

If you're looking at apartments just check directly with some of the complexes that are near the school..... Colonial Grand, Lake Vista, Yacht Club, etc... There are quite a few, can do a google search for what is around here.

Also check out http://www.realtor.com/ Can search for rentals, and try putting in Lakewood Ranch, FL instead of Bradenton. Probably won't get as many results but they'll all be over on the east side here.

thanks man!

Searching for lakewood ranch in craigslist can also help.

Hey guys! Sorry to change the subject, but if anyone has any news about the alternate list, would you please please please post?!? :confused: I am starting to lose hope!

I have posted lots of false hope on this thread as far as the alternate list goes. I am also on the alternate list and there is a general consensus that June is about the time we should start hearing some information. There is no point in freaking out however that is exactly what I am doing. I am glad that I am not alone. Good luck and please post the second you get that acceptance call !!!! :D

you can always call a realtor. i had a thousand calls/emails from them when i was looking. there are plenty of homes/townhomes in lakewood ranch that's up for rent. also on university there's a few apartment places. behind the publix off of university/I-75 are town homes (i don't remember the name...commerce?). I don't know the condition but there's an older apt building called carlton arms on sr64. that's about as far west I'd go looking for a place, it gets a little shady (and too far from school) afterwards. if you don't mind the drive, parrish has a bunch of homes also. good luck!

you can always call a realtor. i had a thousand calls/emails from them when i was looking.

During my interview one of the students said she used a realtor when looking for her apartment and that they was very helpful not to mention free.

During my interview one of the students said she used a realtor when looking for her apartment and that they was very helpful not to mention free.

Well, not necessarily free. I've yet to see any real estate agent provide free service. Most likely she is getting her fee from the owner who is looking to rent.

There is definitely a glut in the real estate market, and since sellers aren't getting anything near to what they paid for (and many of the properties in LWR have higher price tags than other parts of Bradenton), they'll do better by renting and holding the property until the market turns.

Yea, there was one lady who came in and worked with incoming students (free for the students, not sure if she had any deals going with the owners) for our class but I ended up not using her. I don't think she is helping out in any official capacity anymore though.

Of course you could find a local agency and have an agent help you out. Personally I think it's just as easy to go online and do some searching. When we first moved down we started off dealing with an agent but it was just a pain giving her a list of what we wanted, then waiting a day or so to get a list, then giving her more details on what liked, didn't liked.....and on and on. It was just easier to go on and look for ourselves.

I went on earlier to that realtor.com site and with a quick search found a handful of 2bed/2bath townhomes in Lakewood Ranch area for under $1000/month. You can currently get a lot for your money.

My wife and I just signed a lease as I'm moving up to St Pete/Largo area for rotations and we quickly realized that we would be paying pretty much the same rent for less space. :( We've been spoiled by this 3 bed townhome we've been in for the past 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, not necessarily free. I've yet to see any real estate agent provide free service. Most likely she is getting her fee from the owner who is looking to rent.

There is definitely a glut in the real estate market, and since sellers aren't getting anything near to what they paid for (and many of the properties in LWR have higher price tags than other parts of Bradenton), they'll do better by renting and holding the property until the market turns.

Although we didn't get our house through an agent, we were working with one to find a place and he foudn us quite a few nice places we were considering before we found this one.

Also, a classmate just found a house for next year using a realtor.

It is free for us. I think they get paid a commission on the rent by the landlords/owners.

Well dang, thanks guys. I was thinking the realtors got paid two-way commissions, from both the renters and the buyers. But if not, I'll try and find one today. Thanks again for the help.

It is free for us. I think they get paid a commission on the rent by the landlords/owners.

That was what I got out of my conversation with one of the students although I was too distracted by the interview process to engage in a in depth conversation about how realtors get paid for a free service. We could end speculation by calling a realtor but then again it would not be as fun as this.

If someone has contacted a realtor or is a realtor, please post a reply so we may have some direction.

I have posted lots of false hope on this thread as far as the alternate list goes. I am also on the alternate list and there is a general consensus that June is about the time we should start hearing some information. There is no point in freaking out however that is exactly what I am doing. I am glad that I am not alone. Good luck and please post the second you get that acceptance call !!!! :D
THANKS! and good luck to you too!!! You better believe I will be posting as soon as I get my call (if it ever actually happens)! It is nice to know that there is someone else out there just as stressed and obsessed (constantly checking my phone to see if they called haha)! Please let me know the second you get in as well!

I am on the waiting list too, did they tell you guys where you are on the waiting list?

I actually did ask where I was on the waiting list and was told that they do not give out that information. Heather later told me that they do not rank us until it gets really close to the beginning of classes then they pick the top 5 and have them get all the shots and student loans ready just in case they need them.

But I am way ahead of myself. The next step in the agony of our waiting process is May 15th. May 15th is when majority of the MD school applicants have to decide which school they want to go to. Why is that important to us?! Many MD applicants see DO schools as a back up plan. (Basically as a way to stay close to home if they do not get accepted to USF. I do not share in this view. LECOM Bradenton is my #1 choice :D ). Many of the MD applicants hold DO positions. May 15th is when most applicants have to show their cards and choose only one school. Theoretically this is when the phone starts ringing. Then All the schools have to dive into their waitlist and quickly fill the positions before another school picks them up.

Then again, I maybe wrong. If you want to have some fun look at the MD threads and see how many of them mention the 15th and this phenomenon.

I do formally request that current students help me and my fellow waitlisters by correcting any false information or false direction that this post may contain. Any advise is also greatly appreciated.

Although we didn't get our house through an agent, we were working with one to find a place and he foudn us quite a few nice places we were considering before we found this one.

Also, a classmate just found a house for next year using a realtor.

Well, come to think of it...some RE agents maybe open enough to realize that maybe one of these new doctors-to-be may eventually settle in this area or may refer someone else to them when it is time to purchase a house. Word of mouth can be a very powerful thing.

To all of you wait-listers, best of luck! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Well, come to think of it...some RE agents maybe open enough to realize that maybe one of these new doctors-to-be may eventually settle in this area or may refer someone else to them when it is time to purchase a house. Word of mouth can be a very powerful thing.

To all of you wait-listers, best of luck! :luck::luck::luck::luck:
definitely free for the looker but not for the homeowner. regardless if it gets rented or not, the homeowner is paying every month (going rate is 10% of asked rent, ie mortgage) to the agency to keep an eye on it/take care of problems/rent it. so if you see a Realtor sign somewhere.....hypothetically you could find the owner on the internet and call to bargain a deal BEFORE you sign on with a realtor. it is in the owner's best interest to get what they can in rent and hang on to the property b/c selling it now is a huge loss. no one has a job in med school so saving $100-200/mo adds up!

I actually did ask where I was on the waiting list and was told that they do not give out that information. Heather later told me that they do not rank us until it gets really close to the beginning of classes then they pick the top 5 and have them get all the shots and student loans ready just in case they need them.

But I am way ahead of myself. The next step in the agony of our waiting process is May 15th. May 15th is when majority of the MD school applicants have to decide which school they want to go to. Why is that important to us?! Many MD applicants see DO schools as a back up plan. (Basically as a way to stay close to home if they do not get accepted to USF. I do not share in this view. LECOM Bradenton is my #1 choice :D ). Many of the MD applicants hold DO positions. May 15th is when most applicants have to show their cards and choose only one school. Theoretically this is when the phone starts ringing. Then All the schools have to dive into their waitlist and quickly fill the positions before another school picks them up.

Then again, I maybe wrong. If you want to have some fun look at the MD threads and see how many of them mention the 15th and this phenomenon.

I do formally request that current students help me and my fellow waitlisters by correcting any false information or false direction that this post may contain. Any advise is also greatly appreciated.

If you look at last year's thread, applicants found out where they stood on the waitlist already. I hope things move along soon!

If you look at last year's thread, applicants found out where they stood on the waitlist already. I hope things move along soon!

Wow!!!!! you are right!!!!

Here is a quote from AmandaL444 on 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM "I called today and found out I'm #19 now on the LECOM accepted list. Whoo hoo! That list keeps moving and I'm getting excited!"

Again on 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM : "15 on the list today guys, and I got an e-mail today saying that I will be getting my matriculation packet in the mail. Whoo hoo!!!"

again on 05-09-2008, 10:51 AM : "#10 as of today! Yay. It's looking good. Everyone out there on the waiting list, keep the faith. It still seems to be moving up an average of 3-5 spots a week."

Does anyone know if they changed the rules this year or can we call and find out our position by calling? I called the first week in April and I was basically told that I am to wait for the phone call and that they do not give out the waitlist positions. After reading last years thread I feel like we are definitely in the dark.

Any ideas?!

According to last years thread, It appears that there are two alternate list. One is ranked by the top 30 applicants and the second list is unranked. Once the applicants are pulled from the ranked list into accepted status new applicants become ranked from the unranked list. Apparently the ranked list averages 40 positions a year.

The ranked list was not made last year until April 21. If this year mirrors last year then that would explain why I was not given a ranking when I called the first week in April.

digitlnoize have you heard anything about a ranked list this year? Am I correct in my analysis of last years thread in terms of the alternate list?

This ranked alternate list from last year has really thrown me for a loop!!!!

According to last years thread, It appears that there are two alternate list. One is ranked by the top 30 applicants and the second list is unranked. Once the applicants are pulled from the ranked list into accepted status new applicants become ranked from the unranked list. Apparently the ranked list averages 40 positions a year.

The ranked list was not made last year until April 21. If this year mirrors last year then that would explain why I was not given a ranking when I called the first week in April.

digitlnoize have you heard anything about a ranked list this year? Am I correct in my analysis of last years thread in terms of the alternate list?

This ranked alternate list from last year has really thrown me for a loop!!!!

I have not heard anything. Give me until the end of next week. We have finals and craziness right now, but as soon as school's over I'll see what I can find out.

Yes, they did tell me were I was ranked. They said I was in the top ten but didn't mention where in the top ten I stand. I was just trying to see if this was something they were telling everyone, because I didn't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

I must find the time to call them up now.

When did you ask?

I didn't actually ask, they just told me when they called to say I was wait listed and that was on April 28. I haven't heard anything since then.

Boo...I never received any phone call...I guess its safe to say I didn't get into top 5.

:(

I have not heard anything. Give me until the end of next week. We have finals and craziness right now, but as soon as school's over I'll see what I can find out.

That would be very helpful Digitlnoize. I am running into too many conflicting stories. I have not had a chance to call yet.

Who has called so far and what did they say? :confused:

That would be very helpful Digitlnoize. I am running into too many conflicting stories. I have not had a chance to call yet.

Who has called so far and what did they say? :confused:

I found out I was on the waitlist around the second or third of April. I was told the waitlist would be ranked sometime in May, but I haven't checked back yet to see if they've done the rankings. I wanted to give them at least until mid to late-May before calling again.

I called this afternoon and talked to Heather. She told me that the school will not be ranking the alternate list until a couple of weeks before class starts. She also mentioned that as of right now, the class is full and there is very little movement because very few accepted people are withdrawing.

I called this afternoon and talked to Heather. She told me that the school will not be ranking the alternate list until a couple of weeks before class starts. She also mentioned that as of right now, the class is full and there is very little movement because very few accepted people are withdrawing.

Same exact answer I got when I called in April !!!!

Well I know for sure that the deadline for many MD schools is tomorrow so maybe we will start getting some good news.

Just be patient. Hopefully things will start moving soon. Movement depends on lots of factors...

When I was WL'd at my state MD school, movement never happened because the #1 state school had overaccepted their class = less WL acceptance for them = #2 school had less people drop THEIR spot = #3 school had less people drop their spot = you see how this goes.

Fortunately for me, the "#3 school" and LECOM-B were tied for 1st on MY rank list, so I'm happy with where I wound up!

But, goings on at many other schools are currently affecting the LECOM-B (and other) waitlists.

Just be patient. Hopefully things will start moving soon. Movement depends on lots of factors...

When I was WL'd at my state MD school, movement never happened because the #1 state school had overaccepted their class = less WL acceptance for them = #2 school had less people drop THEIR spot = #3 school had less people drop their spot = you see how this goes.

Fortunately for me, the "#3 school" and LECOM-B were tied for 1st on MY rank list, so I'm happy with where I wound up!

But, goings on at many other schools are currently affecting the LECOM-B (and other) waitlists.
Digitl is right, I am a masters student that is associated with an MD school and I know they have been full for a very long time and do not plan to touch their alternate list. Luckily I'm not waiting on that list! This is just a very competitive year and we just need to hope for movement!

General LECOM-B question!

I took English COMP1 class in community college and COM3 public speaking class. I then transferred to university where I had to take a course equivalent to English literature for them i.e. Professional writing. Would that suffice the 6 hour Enlgish requireemnt along with COMP1 course? Would my Public Speaking course be counted towards English requirements?

Hey everyone, If you guys want a good laugh and proof how people on the waitlist can turn crazy... go to page 48 on NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009.

Read the whole page.

I had to tell you guys that after reading their thread that I truly love everyone on this thread. I feel embarrassed for them. If the admissions committee reads their thread they will second guess their decision to even waitlist some of those applicants.

I am proud of the choices that LECOM Bradenton has made so far!!! :)

General LECOM-B question!

I took English COMP1 class in community college and COM3 public speaking class. I then transferred to university where I had to take a course equivalent to English literature for them i.e. Professional writing. Would that suffice the 6 hour Enlgish requireemnt along with COMP1 course? Would my Public Speaking course be counted towards English requirements?

Not sure. I'd call and ask.

Hey everyone, If you guys want a good laugh and proof how people on the waitlist can turn crazy... go to page 48 on NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009.

Read the whole page.

I had to tell you guys that after reading their thread that I truly love everyone on this thread. I feel embarrassed for them. If the admissions committee reads their thread they will second guess their decision to even waitlist some of those applicants.

I am proud of the choices that LECOM Bradenton has made so far!!! :)

Haven't read it yet. Give me a couple weeks.

I will say that I agree that LECOM-B does a spectacular job of picking their students. My class is awesome, and you can really tell that they went out of their way to get the best PEOPLE not the best NUMBERS.

They've told us that too. So, for those that care, LECOM-B will look at "the whole person" when you're applying. Of course, that doesn't mean that grades don't matter, it's getting to be a hella competitive school, but at least they won't accept douchebags just because they rocked the MCAT.

Incidentally, our public transportation system here is called: MCAT. I just always think it's funny to see busses driving around with MCAT all over them.

For those of you wondering about the MD school deadline and what it means, May 15th is the day that many MD school require people to pay their admissions deposit by. I would imagine that it may take a few weeks after the deadline for the trickle down from the top tier waitlists to reach those waitlists lower on the totem pole if that makes sense to anyone.

WOW... I really don't know what to say, but I also am very pleased with the wonderful people on this discussion! How embarrassing for them!

I won't comment on other schools but I really think we have some good students here. Yeah, there are always going to be a few here or there that seem to rub people the wrong way but for the most part everyone is pretty cool, fun to be around, and willing to help.

And every school is going to do stupid stuff at times that really get under your skin so your class kind of becomes like a 2nd 'family' where we all kind of feel like we're "in this together" whether it's going out or complaining about some policy.

SWOOPO IS A SCAM------------------------------------->
Check out:
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swoopo

-I saw this add when I was not logged in don't know if it is still running or how it got there but it is messed up.

Last edited:
Got a question. Does anyone remember how much they spent of text books? LECOM financial Aid department estimates it at 3700$ but I need a laptop and I assume this is included in the total. So I am trying to get a ballpark figure that I should aim at spending on a laptop so that I will still have enough left over for textbooks in the Fall. THanks.

Nowhere close to that much. I already had a laptop though. I think there may be computer money in your fin aid too, but don't remember. If it is, it's best not to think of it that ways anyway...

www.bigwords.com

Search for your text books there or another price search engine. You can save a pretty penny getting used books there or amazon or whatever. You also don't need every book they tell you to get...