LECOM Bradenton Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been taken off of the alternate list recently? Or know how often they review those applications?

Has anyone been taken off of the alternate list recently? Or know how often they review those applications?

I was put on the alternate list in november, and I was accepted 1 month later. I believe they meet on Tuesday mornings, and I found out on a Tuesday, early afternoon. I recommend sending a letter of intent if you haven't yet, and definitely keep in touch every few weeks to show how genuinely interested you are! I kept in touch with Mr. Shively, he was great. :luck: Good Luck, stay positive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to everyone accepted for the Class of 2016! (CONGRATSS!)

I was wondering when you all plan on heading down to Bradenton? And if you have any ideas on where you'll be living?

I'm still waiting on several other schools but right now Lecom-B is my only acceptance, which I'm really grateful + excited about! I'm planning to head down there by the 2nd week of July.

I was wondering when you all plan on heading down to Bradenton? And if you have any ideas on where you'll be living?

I'm still waiting on several other schools but right now Lecom-B is my only acceptance, which I'm really grateful + excited about! I'm planning to head down there by the 2nd week of July.
I was planning on moving after the 4th of July, and just scheduled a flight for the 2nd to last weekend in april to look for a place to live. Maybe consider joining the facebook group, there are lots of discussions going about living situations and what not.

Got the alternate letter yesterday, so we'll see how things play out in the next few months. Congratulations to everyone who got in!

I'm thinking about moving down the weekend of the 13th.
I'm probably going to look into housing around May. Does anyone know if that would be a good time to start apt-hunting?

I cannot really say what time is better than another. I would have to say there should be plenty of options available to you.

Also. I have heard that "Keller Williams On the Water" is very accommodating to LECOM med students and in some cases allowing you to go month-month after the first year. Just fyi.

I have an interview and recently had foot surgery so walking is a still a little bit of a challenge. Is the tour at the begining or the end of the day? Does anyone know? Thanks!

Ours was toward the end of the day, but you may have a long walk to the men's room on the first floor!

I have an interview and recently had foot surgery so walking is a still a little bit of a challenge. Is the tour at the begining or the end of the day? Does anyone know? Thanks!

Hey ours was at 8am but it lasted until about 1:30/2p. Best of luck, man that stinks, but at least they'll see how dedicated you are! Goodluck :luck:

Has anyone heard back from the 2/24 interview day?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from the 2/24 interview day?!?!
Hey I interviewed on 2/24 and just heard back from LECOM and got my letter in the mail yesterday. I didn't get a phone call though, which was kind of weird. Hope you get some good news soon!

Just got invited for an interview on 3/19, only 4 days notice I'm freaking out!! Any advice from anyone?

Just got invited for an interview on 3/19, only 4 days notice I'm freaking out!! Any advice from anyone?

Hey, Congratulations!!! I definitely understand the nerves, considering the late notice. But I would say try your best to stay calmmmmm and be confident! They picked you because they obviously like a lot of your stats, now you just have to prove yourself through the interview and you should be good.

I have a friend who was invited last minute in Feb, about 3 or 4 days notice as well and she got in right away! The interview isn't too bad, check out earlier pages on this forum as well as the Interview questions page, etc. Do your research on PBL at Lecom, just be able to describe it and maybe some good points about it and how you're fit for this type of curriculum. Other than that the other ?s are pretty general or based on your app. which you should already know pretty well. :luck:

Thanks so much for your reponse, I have been reading about the PBL and honselty when i read the first page I smiled, this is perfect for me! I am the definition of "hands on learner," I will definitely come up with some concrete reasons why to give them during the interview. And I'm sure everyone asks this question but would you happen to know the stats on percentage of people who interview that are accepted? I was trying to do some research on it but I can't find much.
Thanks!

Nevermind I read the previous post, 700 interviewd, 150-200 accepted, I don't like those odds, but I'm going to do my best!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I interviewed on 2/24. It took me until 3/9 to get my DO letter in. I know the committee met this Tuesday....should I call? Or wait?

I am freaking out...

Hey Guys!! I am new to the D.O. discussions. I kind of put them in the "not a real med school" category like most ignorant people until recently. Now, I want to know more. I read a lot about LECOM and I really like the different types of learning pathways they offer. I also like the fact that D.O. focus on the "whole body approach". I believe diet and exercising should be used over prescriptions roughly 50% of the time.
What should I know that I may not? I would love any and all advice or information about D.O. school in general and LECOM. I heard about the grade replacement factor earlier today. Anything else like that would be great to know. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

Hey everyone

I've got an interview on April 13th. Does LECOM-B use individual interview or group style interviews?

Hey everyone

I've got an interview on April 13th. Does LECOM-B use individual interview or group style interviews?

Congrats! They actually utilize both individual and group interviews. The individual interview will be first thing in the morning and the group will be right before lunch.
Good luck.

Thanks so much for your reponse, I have been reading about the PBL and honselty when i read the first page I smiled, this is perfect for me! I am the definition of "hands on learner," I will definitely come up with some concrete reasons why to give them during the interview. And I'm sure everyone asks this question but would you happen to know the stats on percentage of people who interview that are accepted? I was trying to do some research on it but I can't find much.
Thanks!

Nevermind I read the previous post, 700 interviewd, 150-200 accepted, I don't like those odds, but I'm going to do my best!

my advice is really stress that in your answer. Our interviewers pride themselves in picking people that will work in PBL. They have been doing this a long time and can see through the BS and pick people that are self-motivated. Good luck! Its a really laid back interview

Thanks!

Hey rja06cfsu, I posted about the 700 interviewed 150-200 accepted-- ignore the stats, you have been selected for an interview! I was in a very similar situation to you, I graduated from FSU in december and I was invited to an interview less than 5 days before the actually interview.

My advice to you is, stay positive throughout the whole process, look up previous LECOM-Bradenton questions on the archive, and really think about why you would be a perfect fit for problem-based learning.

I interviewed on 2/20, was waitlisted on 2/21, and then accepted on 2/29, so if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've been through it all!

P.S. If you need to relax the day before the interview, don't forget to watch FSU beat Cincy in the NCAA tournament! Good luck!

Just a quick update: Match results are flowing in, and many, many people got some great matches. I got my #1 (Psych at UVa, our hometown!). Many people got their #1 choices, which is what really counts. Many ER, Ortho (most DO ortho, but still), one of my good friends got DO ENT, which is also hard...more later gotta run!

Just a quick update: Match results are flowing in, and many, many people got some great matches. I got my #1 (Psych at UVa, our hometown!). Many people got their #1 choices, which is what really counts. Many ER, Ortho (most DO ortho, but still), one of my good friends got DO ENT, which is also hard...more later gotta run!

Awesome!!!!!! Congrats and good to hear! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:

Congrats!!

Thanks :) I will try and watch the game but I think I'm going to be nervous no matter what. This is the only school that I've gotten an interview from so I have to be fantastic :)

Ok so since I was only given four days notice of my interview that means I was only given four days to get my LOR in. I am trying my best but this is the first time I have used the interfolio system and I am a little confused. My D.O. letter was submitted via interfolio but will it automatically be sent to LECOM for me or do I need to create an account on interfolio and tell them to send the letter there for me?

Ok so since I was only given four days notice of my interview that means I was only given four days to get my LOR in. I am trying my best but this is the first time I have used the interfolio system and I am a little confused. My D.O. letter was submitted via interfolio but will it automatically be sent to LECOM for me or do I need to create an account on interfolio and tell them to send the letter there for me?

You don't NEED to get your letters in within 4 days and before you interview. But for a decision to be made, you do. I didn't have any of my letters in when I interviewed and just got them in within a week or so. Got accepted about a week after they received them.

Your letter can't be submitted to LECOM with Interfolio until you create an account. Then you create a Letter ID form asking your letter writer for a letter. Instructions on how to submit the letter online/snail mail are on the form. Then once you have received it in your account you can send it to LECOM.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Check the D.O. Letter of Recommendation form that bradenton sent you. You can ask your D.O. to simply email your letter of recommendation to [email protected]

Check the D.O. Letter of Recommendation form that bradenton sent you. You can ask your D.O. to simply email your letter of recommendation to [email protected]

Hah totally forgot about that! I used that for my letters too just to make sure they got them as quickly as possible. I seem to remember that email address being down though because I had to send it to an actual person. Anyways, much better than having to use Interfolio.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Hi guys,
I'm looking for suggestions/opinions from students who currently attend Lecom-B. Ideally my boyfriend and I would like to live 20-25minutes North of Bradenton so that we'll be a little closer to Tampa + St. Petersburg.

Any suggestions on what cities to look at or particular apt. complexes that are safe and nice places to live? I appreciate the help!

You do not need it at the time of the interview, but I would let them know that it has been sent. I sent my LOR directly to admissions almost 6 weeks post interview and they made a decision on my file the next week when the committee met.

Enjoy your interview!

Hi guys,
I'm looking for suggestions/opinions from students who currently attend Lecom-B. Ideally my boyfriend and I would like to live 20-25minutes North of Bradenton so that we'll be a little closer to Tampa + St. Petersburg.

Any suggestions on what cities to look at or particular apt. complexes that are safe and nice places to live? I appreciate the help!

north of the area can start to get rural until you get to st pete/the brandon area, so unless you want to go that far there aren't a ton of quality options that I am aware of. I wouldn't recommend living that far away though. Once you start to get into the meat of the school year you will hate wasting the half hour to an hour each way(depending on time of day and year) so you can live closer to the bigger cities

Got the alternate letter yesterday, so we'll see how things play out in the next few months. Congratulations to everyone who got in!

I am alternate as well. Bummed. I thought my interview went very well, but who knows :(

Hi everyone,
I have a really depressing situation and I really need some advice. I applied to LECOM-B for this cycle and I thought that my stats were not competitive (3.9 GPA, 24 MCAT). I applied pretty early and was not getting any interviews so I decided to apply to AUC in the Caribbean. I also decided to take a teaching job in South Korea for six months while I waited for medical school to begin. I recently got accepted to AUC for the Sep 2012 semester and I paid the deposit for my seat. I'm in Korea right now and I was recently told that I was offered an interview at LECOM-B. Now I feel so regretful because I missed my chance for an interview. My question is whether I should just go to AUC in the fall or reapply to DO schools again next cycle? Also how often do people get accepted when they are offered an interview at LECOM. Basically, I'm asking whether I had a good chance of being accepted if I was able to go to the interview.

Hi everyone,
I have a really depressing situation and I really need some advice. I applied to LECOM-B for this cycle and I thought that my stats were not competitive (3.9 GPA, 24 MCAT). I applied pretty early and was not getting any interviews so I decided to apply to AUC in the Caribbean. I also decided to take a teaching job in South Korea for six months while I waited for medical school to begin. I recently got accepted to AUC for the Sep 2012 semester and I paid the deposit for my seat. I'm in Korea right now and I was recently told that I was offered an interview at LECOM-B. Now I feel so regretful because I missed my chance for an interview. My question is whether I should just go to AUC in the fall or reapply to DO schools again next cycle? Also how often do people get accepted when they are offered an interview at LECOM. Basically, I'm asking whether I had a good chance of being accepted if I was able to go to the interview.

If it were me I would either try to make it back for my LECOM interview or reapply again next year. Your GPA is very competitive but your MCATS are lacking a little so if you could retake your MCATS and raise your scores by like 3-6 points I think you'd be in great shape to get accepted to a DO school. I don't know a ton about the carribean schools but from what I've heard you don't always get the best training or residency placements. Hope that helps. Good luck with everything!

I am alternate as well. Bummed. I thought my interview went very well, but who knows :(

Mine wasn't so great, IMO. The group interview especially (a couple of people dominated the conversation, and the topics weren't anything I was well-versed in). It wasn't a bad school... but I got into one I liked a little better (and was a little less expensive, believe it or not!).

I'm pulling off the alternate list once I have a chance to write the letter. Good luck to everyone who's still in the game there! :)

Hey all,

Anyone from 3/19 interview hear anything yet? I got an email on Wednesday to get my LORs in. I can't imagine not being on at least the alternate list, but it's already pretty late in the season so I'm sure a lot of seats are filled by now. Here's hoping cause I loved the school and there were a lot of great applicants in my pool, and it'd be great to see a lot of them in class.

@meddilemma: GPA is fantastic, your MCAT is obviously a weakness, but people have gotten in with lower so you have a shot. I'd apply by the end of the summer if you choose to forgo AUC and try for LECOM or some other DO; you've gotten an interview this late in the season, it only follows that you should be able to again with the same stats earlier in the next application season. Your teaching abroad would be a nice bullet point as well, so that wasn't time wasted.

I'm of the persuasion that one makes the most of their education, so I have nothing against Caribbean schools, but I have heard that placing for residencies in the States can be difficult from an out of country school. It might be worth waiting a year now to give yourself less headache later. This thread might be relevant to your question: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-33945.html

Confirmed my withdrawl today. LECOM's a great program, so best of luck to everyone who's headed there in the Fall! Hopefully I'll see some of you in a few years on rotation! :)

Same for me, but I have the feeling that everyone's interview went well, they are so nice it's hard to imagine walking out of that room feeling anything less than confident. Good luck to everyone, I wish we could all get in.

Confirmed my withdrawl today. LECOM's a great program, so best of luck to everyone who's headed there in the Fall! Hopefully I'll see some of you in a few years on rotation! :)

To those who have withdrawn, do you mind sharing where you're headed? Best of luck to everyone!!

Hi Guys,
So I'm wondering if anyone on the Alternate List has had any change in their status? I emailed Lecom-B and they said they'll be reviewing Alternate files in Dec/Jan. I'm reallyyy hoping to be accepted but just getting antsy, let me know if you've heard anything please :)

Did you get a response to this? I am also on the alternate list and waiting to hear about an acceptance. Does anyone know if I have to wait for a letter or does my portal change first? Thanks!!

Did you get a response to this? I am also on the alternate list and waiting to hear about an acceptance. Does anyone know if I have to wait for a letter or does my portal change first? Thanks!!

This late in the game they will probably give you a phone call as the first step(at least thats what some of my classmates told me they did). The admissions office will probably want to know if you want the spot before they send you all the info about getting accepted and the turnaround time to give the deposit is going to be very short(only a few weeks I believe).

I will be withdrawing from my 4/20 interview as I got into my top choice. I hope one of you still waiting to hear gets it.

Wow I posted this a verry long time ago lol. Anyways I heard from Lecom-B about 1 month after my interview so 3 1/2 weeks after I was watilisted. They called me around 11 am on a Mon. or Tues. morning. It took a while for my status to change online. I did submit a letter of intent and I kept in touch with Ron Shively throughout the wait. Best of luck to you! :)

Can anyone please give me more information on the drug screening process? I understand that the day after I turn in on all the matriculation papers they will give me instructions for the drug screen. Can someone tell me how long they give you to actually go to the testing center? Also, what all is tested for in the screen? I'm sure amphetamines, alcohol, THC...what else? Thanks in advance!

I believe from what I was told it is a 10-panel drug screen so cocaine, angel dust, heroin and marijuana, also soem prescription drugs like tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, opiates, methadone, barbiturates and methamphetamines. Don't think they test for alcohol, not sure how you could since it leaves your system so quickly but definitely not in a 10-panel. As far as how long you have to take the test or anything I don't know because I have not been accepted yet :) You can PM yodelyolo though if you want, he is super nice and he is the one that told me it's a 10-panel.

Can anyone please give me more information on the drug screening process? I understand that the day after I turn in on all the matriculation papers they will give me instructions for the drug screen. Can someone tell me how long they give you to actually go to the testing center? Also, what all is tested for in the screen? I'm sure amphetamines, alcohol, THC...what else? Thanks in advance!

You receive an email 1-3days after you complete your background check info. and pay the $134 through the Verified Credentials website. You can do this before you submit all of your Matriculation Papers, the link was sent in an email about the Background check and FAO Info. The confirmation email should be received about 1-3 days after completion of the background check info. with a registration # to go to a Lab for your drug test. It is a simple urine sample, and you can find out what is the most convenient lab site by going to labcorp.com. Hope this helps* Best of luck*