LECOM Bradenton Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Scheduled for this Friday... They gave me 5 day notice. My friend is interviewing on the 20th but I doubt I would be able to schedule it for then. I have a feeling there was an opening from a cancellation and so I got first available. Wasn't expecting so soon, though! Alas, the earlier I interview the earlier I will find out about acceptance/wait/reject. Can't wait!

Wow... definitely a quick turn around! Let us know how it goes... good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info!
Do you or anyone else know when the first day of orientation is? July 23rd or July 30th? The lady on the phone said it was July 25th for c/o 2015.

No, I don't know. I am assuming it will be the 23rd but I am not sure. They said I should be getting a packet with info ( shots, immun, etc....) about mid January so hopefully that info will be in there as well.

They will acknowledge it in the portal system under your status I believe. As far as when they actually cash your check, I am not sure as I gave them a certified check from my bank which comes out when you get it from the bank. I think Mrs. Shively sends a conformation email as well but don't quote me on this.
I am definitely looking forward to starting this July!!!!:thumbup:
yeah, you'll get an email confirmation from Annette Shively, and a status update in the portal. I sent my check a few weeks ago and it hasn't been cashed yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!
Do you or anyone else know when the first day of orientation is? July 23rd or July 30th? The lady on the phone said it was July 25th for c/o 2015.

I called last week because I needed the dates for my family to be able to schedule vacation to help me move down. I was told that you'll need to be in town on the 20th for orientation and that classes start the 23rd. I haven't seen that written anywhere, so I'm sure it is still subject to change but that's what I have been told. Hope it helps!

thanks for all the info guys!

Had my interview last Friday (the 6th), called today, and found out I was accepted! Woot woot! :thumbup: :D

So this may have been answered but....

Whats the cheapest way to get to LECOM-B from the Philly area?
Are the hotels/motels near LECOM-B in walking distance? taxis?
Do the hotels provide free shuttle from and to the airport and/or the campus?

Im interviewing on 2/06. Would calling the Admissions Office be helpful?

I can't tell you the cheapest way to get there since I drove.
Wingate hotel gives a flat fee of $70 for interviewees, but book directly through them and let them know you are interviewing at LECOM. I do believe they provide shuttles. There were several students who stayed there as well, maybe they can tell you a bit more. The staff there were super friendly and the rooms were good for the price you pay.

congrats!! what does the status say on your online portal under admissions status??

It read something to the extent of: "Congratulations, you have been scheduled to interview..." I confirmed the scheduling, and it now reads: "Thank you for confirming your intent to attend the scheduled interview at LECOM Bradenton. We look forward to meeting you and sharing information about our program."

congrats!! what does the status say on your online portal under admissions status??

It will say "Congratulations on your acceptance to LECOM Bradenton! We received your matriculation fee and contingency agreement. We will be in contact with you over the next few months." If you are accepted and fill out your paper work.

Members don't see this ad :)

Mine actually doesn't say anything about being accepted, instead it says:

"
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

I was actually kind of scared when I saw that, and I told my roomate that I probably got rejected, but I called in and asked what the status of my application was (I didn't want to say "did I get accepted or rejected?" haha), and Annette let me know.

I went from Philly airport, had a transfer in Atlanta, and then went to Sarasota airport.

Definitely rent a car. WAY cheaper than taxi (I think I spent 110$ on a ride to/from the airport and to/from the Wingate hotel to Lecom, which is only 5 miles away or so).

I stayed at the Wingate, pretty reasonable with the Lecom discount. They don't provide a shuttle service though.

Has anyone received the matriculation packet yet in the mail? They said mid-January we should be receiving it.

Has anyone received the matriculation packet yet in the mail? They said mid-January we should be receiving it.

I don't think they've mailed it out yet. Annette sent me the confirmation e-mail yesterday and the e-mail still noted mid-January for the matriculation packet.

and I can't believe it! They won't give me state tuition because I moved to Florida 8 days after date of orientation. EIGHT!

Orientation is going to be July 20th if anyone wanted to know.

I don't think they've mailed it out yet. Annette sent me the confirmation e-mail yesterday and the e-mail still noted mid-January for the matriculation packet.

and I can't believe it! They won't give me state tuition because I moved to Florida 8 days after date of orientation. EIGHT!

Orientation is going to be July 20th if anyone wanted to know.

OMG i cant believe that! I mean I understand that they are strict about 1 year prior to matriculating, but when do classes officially start? I would see if you can work something out and look through the fine print to see if it is based more on official start date of classes or if orientation is the actual date they go by. But man that is frustrating!!! But at the end of the day I guess we just have to be happy that we r in somewhere right? lol ahhh med schools, how they take our $$$ and run! crazyy

OMG i cant believe that! I mean I understand that they are strict about 1 year prior to matriculating, but when do classes officially start? I would see if you can work something out and look through the fine print to see if it is based more on official start date of classes or if orientation is the actual date they go by. But man that is frustrating!!! But at the end of the day I guess we just have to be happy that we r in somewhere right? lol ahhh med schools, how they take our $$$ and run! crazyy

I think there are probably laws around this sort of thing...

Fortunately, since it's a private school, the difference between instate and out of state is very, very small...

I think there are probably laws around this sort of thing...

Fortunately, since it's a private school, the difference between instate and out of state is very, very small...

I sent my documents via e-mail for review and they responded after consulting with their legal counsel. Well, you're right, I am happy to be accepted though! The difference is small between IS and OOS at LECOM, but I could really use that extra couple thousand.. It's just more like, if only I moved flew down a few days earlier to get the paperwork done. I already tried to move before August knowing that I would need to establish residence for tuition... just didn't know LECOM starts so early.

Mine actually doesn't say anything about being accepted, instead it says:

"
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

I was actually kind of scared when I saw that, and I told my roomate that I probably got rejected, but I called in and asked what the status of my application was (I didn't want to say "did I get accepted or rejected?" haha), and Annette let me know.

Ahhh. Mine says the same so I thought the same thing. I got too scared to call. Lol maybe I will though, I can't wait a month lol

Ahhh. Mine says the same so I thought the same thing. I got too scared to call. Lol maybe I will though, I can't wait a month lol

Do it! I got the official letter in the mail today, so your letter shouldn't be too far along! Good luck! :xf:

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted to and is going to be attending LECOM-Bradenton. I'm sure the school will treat you well in the coming years and you all will become fantastic physicians. I am replying to the person above me in regard to coming off of the alternate list. The consensus seems to be to stay in touch with the admission's office. Send them a letter of intent stating that you want to attend LECOM-Bradenton, and reasons why. I was never placed on the alternate list, so I cannot give you further specific details, but here's what I can provide:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=554436&postcount=6

(that link above came from this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=50676)

I hope this helps! Good luck to you all ^_^

I agree with the post above me. Send a letter of intent with reasons why you want to attend and why you would be a solid addition. GL!

I am still waiting on my DO letter writer to send in, decision is pending on the receipt of this final requisite. Hoping it is no later than the end of this week so I can find out next Wednesday. :xf:
Alternate listed. Damn. Any advice for moving off of it?

Good luck to all of you interviewing, remember to have fun! I interviewed in November, deferred the decision, got accepted mid-December, and declined the spot. I hope it goes to someone who really wants it! :)

As a side note, I should just start charging people like $30 to sleep in my parents RV and get a ride to and from the interview lol. Bradenton is a nice, quiet little town...but when you've lived here your whole life it's pretty much the last place I want to be for medical school haha.

If someone just got offered a last minute interview spot for this Friday, YOU'RE WELCOME. haha just kidding, but good luck.

1 of my friends from grad school was offered a last min. interview this friday soo thank you! It went to a greattt candidate :) And best of luck to you and your future endeavors!

1 of my friends from grad school was offered a last min. interview this friday soo thank you! It went to a greattt candidate :) And best of luck to you and your future endeavors!

That's awesome to hear, best of luck to your friend!

Anybody from the January 13th Interview Group muster up the courage to call and find out about their admissions decision? My D.O. letter is finally going to be in by today, so hopefully I can call this Wednesday to find out.

P.S. Good luck to those who just interviewed this past Friday!

First acceptance of the cycle!!! Woooo!!! :banana:

GL to those still waiting for an invite and especially those that just interviewed this past Friday!! :luck:

Anybody from the January 13th Interview Group muster up the courage to call and find out about their admissions decision? My D.O. letter is finally going to be in by today, so hopefully I can call this Wednesday to find out.

P.S. Good luck to those who just interviewed this past Friday!

I called last Tuesday afternoon (couldn't wait until Wednesday). Alternate listed.

I just applied to LECOM Bradenton, and wanted to get a jump start on the supplemental. Does anyone have the questions so I can start working on them?

I just applied to LECOM Bradenton, and wanted to get a jump start on the supplemental. Does anyone have the questions so I can start working on them?

Lol, well, I think you've probably got a better handle on the secondary than you think... No essays, just fill out some paperwork. Best secondary ever!

Anyone interviewing here on the 2/3 and staying at the Wingate hotel and want to meet up. PM

Cool! congrats! I love the east coast life but I can't manage to leave the west coast ;) Plus the fishing over there would be too distracting:D

I feel you dude, great deep-sea fishing. Marlins, everywhere.

So I have some questions about LECOM - Bradenton. When I interviewed I was able to see the PBL aspects of the curriculum when I sat on on the second year class. I think I am still missing out on certain aspects of the curriculum.

From what I understand now (I may be wrong) is that you spend ~8-10 hours a week in class for PBL/OMM. PBL presents clinical presentations which are relevant to certain topics in basic sciences, which are then required reading and possible exam material. So what about students who read slowly, or what if the book is hard to follow? Both of these have been issues for me at different points in time. Are there any lectures?

So I have some questions about LECOM - Bradenton. When I interviewed I was able to see the PBL aspects of the curriculum when I sat on on the second year class. I think I am still missing out on certain aspects of the curriculum.

From what I understand now (I may be wrong) is that you spend ~8-10 hours a week in class for PBL/OMM. PBL presents clinical presentations which are relevant to certain topics in basic sciences, which are then required reading and possible exam material. So what about students who read slowly, or what if the book is hard to follow? Both of these have been issues for me at different points in time. Are there any lectures?

Plenty of us read slowly. If the book is hard to follow, you pick another one that's easier for you. Most of us read in about 8 zillion different sources anyways. For example, if we were doing a case on a patient with an MI, I would read heart physiology in a bunch of books, like:

First Aid for USMLE Step 1
Required Physiology Textbook + associated Q-book
BRS Review Physiology
Maybe some other website or phys textbook from the library...

Anyways, sometimes it just helps to see drawings or figures from the other books. Sometimes you need clarification on a certain topic. If one resource isn't working for you, you have the freedom to use another.

Some people watched lectures obtained from various sources. Kaplan lectures were quite popular, as were lectures from other med schools, online, etc. Goljan Pathology lectures are a life saver, seriously.

PBL is more like 6 hours a week, I think. 2 hours/day MWF. At least when I did it, eons ago.

I'm interested in the group interview portion. What kind of questions do they ask in this? And does everyone just chime in a response, or do they take turns going around so everyone has a turn to speak? Thanks!