LECOM Bradenton MMS Program 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys! Did anyone else not take Ochem 2 and use biochemistry to fulfill the requirement instead? When I spoke to Kandyse on Friday, she said that the admissions committee would have to approve the biochemistry course that I took and make sure that it included a lab component. My particular course was 4 credit hours, but did not include a lab component because my school doesn't offer intro biochemistry lab. She asked me to send a course description from my university's catalog. LECOM-Erie didn't seem to have a problem with it and never even questioned/emailed me about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys! Did anyone else not take Ochem 2 and use biochemistry to fulfill the requirement instead? When I spoke to Kandyse on Friday, she said that the admissions committee would have to approve the biochemistry course that I took and make sure that it included a lab component. My particular course was 4 credit hours, but did not include a lab component because my school doesn't offer intro biochemistry lab. She asked me to send a course description from my university's catalog. LECOM-Erie didn't seem to have a problem with it and never even questioned/emailed me about it.

Well, I think they just need two labs for a general chemistry - since this is what is needed to full-fill pre-med and pre-dental requirements. Usually you always have to take Ochem 1 and 2 with lab. Erie probably didnt notice it yet - but generally the admin will once they review the application. They just want to make sure you have all of the course requirements for the D.O/M.D or DMD. So far I have not seen anyone replace biochem with Ochem lab on the forums...

Push and see if they will make an exception, maybe. Did you take the MCAT/DAT (not sure if you are pre-med/dental). And as far as Erie, I would reach out to Jamie and ask instead of being surprised later.

Hope this helps!

I'm a little bit worried because my letter still hasn't come in yet. Is it just out of state students that have the "You will receive your letter within 30 days" status or should I take that as a rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little bit worried because my letter still hasn't come in yet. Is it just out of state students that have the "You will receive your letter within 30 days" status or should I take that as a rejection?

No, everyone gets that. That is how they send all letters. When was that posted? It should come between 2-5 days via regular first class mail. Hang in there and check your mail for the letter daily. :) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
No, everyone gets that. That is how they send all letters. When was that posted? It should come between 2-5 days via regular first class mail. Hang in there and check your mail for the letter daily. :) Good luck!
Oh thank god, I was having a crisis. It was posted almost 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the letter. Even though I am out of state, my apartment is in Florida so I was worried as to why it was taking so long to get the letter. I even called and asked which address they sent it to, to make sure it wasn't my Maryland one.

Confused about this whole PC requirement laptop. I am a big MAC person - and just bought a new one not too long ago. Then I thought, Surface Pro - pretty cool laptop/tablet, and the paper work says we can't even have that. Is this really true? The exams are not compatible with MAC. Does anyone who is in the program have any input on that? Trying to avoid any extra spending and really just want to use my MAC and ipad ... help! @TarpolianDynamite and MMS associates lol

I asked the LECOM IT DEPARTMENT, they said that most LECOM STUDENTS HAVE macs so using a mac is perfectly fine, however I do not know how our tests will work if we have macs

Oh thank god, I was having a crisis. It was posted almost 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the letter. Even though I am out of state, my apartment is in Florida so I was worried as to why it was taking so long to get the letter. I even called and asked which address they sent it to, to make sure it wasn't my Maryland one.

Oh 2 weeks? No you need to contact Kandyse for that. Is should not take that long. What address is posted for you on the portal? That is the address they will send it to. This one must have gotten lost... 2 weeks is quite a long time. Call or email her. That is what I would do!

I asked the LECOM IT DEPARTMENT, they said that most LECOM STUDENTS HAVE macs so using a mac is perfectly fine, however I do not know how our tests will work if we have macs

Helps a lot thanks. That is what I was told my a few students there now too. I almost spend a lot on a PC. Wheeewww!

About tests, we should be find too with MACs - per current students. :)

Oh 2 weeks? No you need to contact Kandyse for that. Is should not take that long. What address is posted for you on the portal? That is the address they will send it to. This one must have gotten lost... 2 weeks is quite a long time. Call or email her. That is what I would do!
Thank you for the advice! Based on what she said on the phone I think I got in! (She said she was sending a new letter and changing the 'due date' to match the new letter, so I'm thinking it's the deadline for acceptances??). Going to wait for the letter though and not get my hopes up too high :D

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the advice! Based on what she said on the phone I think I got in! (She said she was sending a new letter and changing the 'due date' to match the new letter, so I'm thinking it's the deadline for acceptances??). Going to wait for the letter though and not get my hopes up too high :D

Glad I could help. I hope you got in as well. :) Let us know. If you live in FL - that should be within a couple of days.

The exact same thing happened to me! My letter ended up getting lost in the mail and I was told the same over the phone. It was good news, so sounds like you're in!

I just got my acceptance to LECOM in Bradenton for the MMS program! Is there a facebook group? Also, is anyone looking for a female roommate?!

I just got my acceptance to LECOM in Bradenton for the MMS program! Is there a facebook group? Also, is anyone looking for a female roommate?!
Great to hear, congrats! If you dont me asking, when did you submit, get verified, and how long did it take to hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there is a FB group :) I believe it is titled, "LECOM Masters of Medical Science 2019-2020" !

Facebook Page...

Hey, I just got into this program. I also got accepted into the USF MSP3 program. I am not sure which one to chose. LECOM seems better since it offers an interview but it requires me to take the MCAT before Jan 2020. USF doesn't offer an interview but I have more flexibility to take the MCAT after taking a few classes. I want to improve my MCAT score which is why I am doing a masters program. If I do LECOM then I am only restricted to this medical school. if I do USF I can apply to other schools as well but a year later. Not sure which program is better. Any input will be helpful.

Hey, I just got into this program. I also got accepted into the USF MSP3 program. I am not sure which one to chose. LECOM seems better since it offers an interview but it requires me to take the MCAT before Jan 2020. USF doesn't offer an interview but I have more flexibility to take the MCAT after taking a few classes. I want to improve my MCAT score which is why I am doing a masters program. If I do LECOM then I am only restricted to this medical school. if I do USF I can apply to other schools as well but a year later. Not sure which program is better. Any input will be helpful.

Hey, im pretty sure you can still apply to other medical schools even if you choose to go to LECOMs masters program.

If I do LECOM then I am only restricted to this medical school.

You will not be restricted to LECOM if you come here, several of us got in to other schools and chose not to interview, including me.

Nope. Essentially this is an one year masters program. You can apply to anywhere you want during that year or after. That is up to you. I talked to a few students to went to NYU after etc... You can do anything you want after, but the option of LECOM is there if you fall into those categories that they want and are looking for. Hope that helps. This is what I gathered from months and months of research for myself. :)

Nope. Essentially this is an one year masters program. You can apply to anywhere you want during that year or after. That is up to you. I talked to a few students to went to NYU after etc... You can do anything you want after, but the option of LECOM is there if you fall into those categories that they want and are looking for. Hope that helps. This is what I gathered from months and months of research for myself. :)

Thanks for the input. Are you a student there? i have heard some mixed reviews regarding rotations during the third and fourth year? I spoke with Kandyse and she said 85% of the students who were in MMS got accepted into their DO program. Thats a huge percentage. I am strongly considering it.

Thanks for the input. Are you a student there? i have heard some mixed reviews regarding rotations during the third and fourth year? I spoke with Kandyse and she said 85% of the students who were in MMS got accepted into their DO program. Thats a huge percentage. I am strongly considering it.

No, I am not a student yet. I will be this year. :) I have not heard anything about the rotations, so I cannot help with that. But their success rate is pretty good, from what I heard based on their rules etc.

Has anyone had their account updated this past week? I sent my last letter in Monday last week and have not seen any updates.

Has anyone had their account updated this past week? I sent my last letter in Monday last week and have not seen any updates.
Not sure about my account but I got an email saying they received and processed mine. I probably sent mine in that same Monday.

Has anyone been accepted into the MMS without MCAT scores? I'm scheduled to take the MCAT late may, so I wont have the scores ready by the deadline.

Does your acceptance/rejection letter go to your permanent/legal address or your current address? I'm currently at new jersey for work so I put that as my current address but my home is in florida. And I can't check the mail there.

Did you apply without the MCAT?

Does your acceptance/rejection letter go to your permanent/legal address or your current address? I'm currently at new jersey for work so I put that as my current address but my home is in florida. And I can't check the mail there.
I believe it goes to your current address. Also if you dont have an MCAT score they can use your AIS score.

Has anyone been accepted into the MMS without MCAT scores? I'm scheduled to take the MCAT late may, so I wont have the scores ready by the deadline.

For my class, we had a few people who were accepted to both the MMS and our respective programs with just AIS.

Hey guys, my letter writer is having trouble sending her letter to Ms. Taylor directly. Does anybody have any other email or contact I could have her send it to?

Has anyone heard about the textbooks we will need for the MMS program?

Has anyone heard about the textbooks we will need for the MMS program?
I can post our booklist from this past year sometime when I get some free time and if you guys want it. I wouldn't be surprised if they change up some of the books though.

Reactions: 3 users
The lecom portal seems to be down for me. Is anyone else having the same problem accessing the website?

The lecom portal seems to be down for me. Is anyone else having the same problem accessing the website?
Yes the portal is down for everyone. They sent out an email to students and they don't know when they'll have it back up (something to do with power out in Erie).

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know how strict the dress code is for women? A couple of us are trying to figure out whether options like pixie cut pants will be okay, because the guidelines only reference slacks. Also, I know the guidelines restrict sandals without socks, but is this rule enforced? Thanks for any info:)

Does anybody know how strict the dress code is for women? A couple of us are trying to figure out whether options like pixie cut pants will be okay, because the guidelines only reference slacks. Also, I know the guidelines restrict sandals without socks, but is this rule enforced? Thanks for any info:)
It's honestly not THAT strict for women. I'm not sure what pixie cut pants are but they're probably fine. I wear "dress pants" (ankle length navy/black/khaki) and a sort of dressy blouse most days with flats. I definitely don't wear slacks. The shoes should be closed toe though. Hope this helps!

It's honestly not THAT strict for women. I'm not sure what pixie cut pants are but they're probably fine. I wear "dress pants" (ankle length navy/black/khaki) and a sort of dressy blouse most days with flats. I definitely don't wear slacks. The shoes should be closed toe though. Hope this helps!

Sorry for being immature but how strictly do they enforce the dress code? Like are you allowed to roll up sleeves, loosen your tie, and not close the top button? Can you get by with wearing sneakers instead of formal shoes? What happens if you get “caught”? Who, in particular, enforces the dress code?

Again, I respect their policy but I’m curious to know how ocd they are about this.

Sorry for being immature but how strictly do they enforce the dress code? Like are you allowed to roll up sleeves, loosen your tie, and not close the top button? Can you get by with wearing sneakers instead of formal shoes? What happens if you get “caught”? Who, in particular, enforces the dress code?

Again, I respect their policy but I’m curious to know how ocd they are about this.
You can get away with loosening your tie and stuff every now and then. Wouldn't recommend sneakers. Sneakers would probably be the one that got you caught or noticed the most. Sleeves rolled up are fine and some people (me) even wear hoodies over their clothes to take tests in. I definitely dressed nicer during my first semester until I got a feel of how they were about the dress code then started working in some more lax pants (like khakis) instead of dress pants. If you get "caught" you get sent home. Security will stop you and they will say you need to go change and come back. But if they don't, you are still presenting yourself in an "unprofessional way" to your professors who will ultimately decide if you should be accepted to the medical or dental school. Play it safe until you know how lax you can be. Your goal should be to make the best grade you can while staying out of the spotlight. Messing up the dress code and getting caught is a sure fire way to make sure your name sticks with someone.

After 5 pm weekdays and all day on weekends, there is no dress code so you can pop that top button all you want after that.

Reactions: 2 users
You can get away with loosening your tie and stuff every now and then. Wouldn't recommend sneakers. Sneakers would probably be the one that got you caught or noticed the most. Sleeves rolled up are fine and some people (me) even wear hoodies over their clothes to take tests in. I definitely dressed nicer during my first semester until I got a feel of how they were about the dress code then started working in some more lax pants (like khakis) instead of dress pants. If you get "caught" you get sent home. Security will stop you and they will say you need to go change and come back. But if they don't, you are still presenting yourself in an "unprofessional way" to your professors who will ultimately decide if you should be accepted to the medical or dental school. Play it safe until you know how lax you can be. Your goal should be to make the best grade you can while staying out of the spotlight. Messing up the dress code and getting caught is a sure fire way to make sure your name sticks with someone.

After 5 pm weekdays and all day on weekends, there is no dress code so you can pop that top button all you want after that.

Are the hoodies only allowed during tests or do you wear them at normal school hours too? Thx for the detailed info. And do they care about hairstyles at all? Again , not to sound immature but I’ve been doing the f***boy haircut for the last couple of months and I’ve become fond of it. Do you think I should change it to something less noticeable or would the staff not care?

Are the hoodies only allowed during tests or do you wear them at normal school hours too? Thx for the detailed info. And do they care about hairstyles at all? Again , not to sound immature but I’ve been doing the f***boy haircut for the last couple of months and I’ve become fond of it. Do you think I should change it to something less noticeable or would the staff not care?
Don't have a mullet ( hair has to be above your shoulders) and don't dye your hair any funky colors. Most of this is in your matriculation packet. You can wear jackets and stuff whenever but you're in South Florida so unless you want to die of heat exhaustion, you won't need a jacket every day.

Hey I'm in the same situation. I took biochem but didn't take orgo 2 and orgo 2 lab. The class average was a C- so I didn't want to risk my future over it. What did the person say? Did it work out for you?

Hey I'm in the same situation. I took biochem but didn't take orgo 2 and orgo 2 lab. The class average was a C- so I didn't want to risk my future over it. What did the person say? Did it work out for you?
Hey! I was told that my admissions decision would be arriving soon (it was sent out on Monday), so I will let you know in a few days once I find out whether or not I was accepted.

Hey! I was told that my admissions decision would be arriving soon (it was sent out on Monday), so I will let you know in a few days once I find out whether or not I was accepted.

Thx, I wish you the best of luck! :cat:

I know I'm super late but I honestly just kind of found out about this program? Do you guys think its too late to even apply? At this point, Im willing to do the Lake Erie location even though I live in FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.