LECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi!
I was accepted to the PBL program in PA and in Florida, and I'm TOTALLY torn over which to go to. Basically, I have a never-ending supply of questions...some of which are:
1. Do you feel like there's enough people in PBL that you don't get stuck with the same ones over and over (more for Erie than Bradenton)?
2. In your opinion, is the grading method fair?
3. If you could do it again, would you do PBL?
4. If I get stuck, are the professors as open to helping me as opposed to a LDP person?
5. How many times a week do you meet with your group in your first year? Second year?
6. If I decide to specialize instead of doing primary care, will the school help me with my goal, or will there be hurdles for my to jump over?
7. Have older students (MS3, maybe) complained that they aren't exposed to everything on the boards?
8. Do you live in an apartment? Does it have a garage? Was it hard to find somewhere nice?
9. Have you heard good/bad things about the PBL in Florida?

Is there anything else that springs to mind that was a surprise to you when you first started, or that wasn't as good as it was made out to be?

Sorry this is so long. I'm really happy to have found a PBL LECOMer on here - usually everyone is lecture based.

~Amy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Amy,

Maybe I can help a little, as I am a LECOM-Bradenton kid....

1. We here in Bradenton as you already know only do PBL (it rocks!).
2. Yes, the grading method is fair.
3. I now understand why PBL'ers say once you go PBL you won't go back...
4. The beauty of PBL is that you work together as a team with your other PBL'ers, helping each other work through the problem areas....believe me, this method is very effective.
5. Meeting times for the 1st year here is variable because we have Anatomy for the first 10 wks. During that time we only meet once a week, and it is really relaxed during that time. Once Anatomy is over, it is full speed ahead, and we meet three times a week for a minimum of 2hours per session as a group. This is the same for the second years as well. Don't let that mislead you though, you are responsible for about 8-10 hours of out of class material (ie. you read!).
6. You can do whatever you want, you determine what level of interaction you want, if you want the help, it is here.
7. I haven't met any MS3's since I am the second class through this place, but the board scores speak for themselves....PBL'ers have something like a 98% pass rate....one of the LECOM erie PBL'ers scored the highest on COMLEX 1 this year....can't beat them apples.
8. I have an apt....I had a garage, but it was an extra 125 a month and all I kept in it was my motorcycle....seemed silly so I just store it in a friends garage now....Finding someplace nice isn't too difficult, I do recommend looking early though, Colonial Grand (where I live, as do a ton of other students) is close and they offer a 5% LECOM student discount.... Bear in mind that apts in Florida are a little pricey...I have two roommates and our 3bdrm is $1300/month, electric was crazy high with the heat ($140), and water avgs around another $40. We have straight DSL and nothing else, no land lines or anything of that nature and that runs an additional $32 a month.
9. I have heard the Good, the Bad, and the whatever about Florida, as with any institution, it will be what you make of it....if you work hard and study you will do fine. I find the PBL to be addictive and don't want to stop, but it is a lot of responsibility....you have to take charge of your own education, they won't hold your hand....until your in academic trouble...then they will hold your hand just long enough to smack it with a ruler (kidding....)

As for surprises.....I would have to say the whole laptop thing is over rated....I went out and dropped a small fortune thinking I needed this super computer....don't do it....get something that is cheap and meets the bare minimum, in fact, I will sell you mine for cheap....okay, kidding about selling mine, but really that was one thing that heated me up, you don't need the lap top, especially if you have a desk top and a printer. Also, I am still peaved at the fact that we don't have a book store, the library is growing slowly but surely, but the book store thing sucks. But it is a new school and the aches and pains of such are expected and are only minor in nature.

If I had to choose again, I would still come.....

I hope this helps....if you have any other questions feel free to contact me directly and I will try and help.

M-
LECOM-B c/o 09'

kota315 said:
Hi Amy,

Maybe I can help a little, as I am a LECOM-Bradenton kid....

1. We here in Bradenton as you already know only do PBL (it rocks!).
2. Yes, the grading method is fair.
3. I now understand why PBL'ers say once you go PBL you won't go back...
4. The beauty of PBL is that you work together as a team with your other PBL'ers, helping each other work through the problem areas....believe me, this method is very effective.
5. Meeting times for the 1st year here is variable because we have Anatomy for the first 10 wks. During that time we only meet once a week, and it is really relaxed during that time. Once Anatomy is over, it is full speed ahead, and we meet three times a week for a minimum of 2hours per session as a group. This is the same for the second years as well. Don't let that mislead you though, you are responsible for about 8-10 hours of out of class material (ie. you read!).
6. You can do whatever you want, you determine what level of interaction you want, if you want the help, it is here.
7. I haven't met any MS3's since I am the second class through this place, but the board scores speak for themselves....PBL'ers have something like a 98% pass rate....one of the LECOM erie PBL'ers scored the highest on COMLEX 1 this year....can't beat them apples.
8. I have an apt....I had a garage, but it was an extra 125 a month and all I kept in it was my motorcycle....seemed silly so I just store it in a friends garage now....Finding someplace nice isn't too difficult, I do recommend looking early though, Colonial Grand (where I live, as do a ton of other students) is close and they offer a 5% LECOM student discount.... Bear in mind that apts in Florida are a little pricey...I have two roommates and our 3bdrm is $1300/month, electric was crazy high with the heat ($140), and water avgs around another $40. We have straight DSL and nothing else, no land lines or anything of that nature and that runs an additional $32 a month.
9. I have heard the Good, the Bad, and the whatever about Florida, as with any institution, it will be what you make of it....if you work hard and study you will do fine. I find the PBL to be addictive and don't want to stop, but it is a lot of responsibility....you have to take charge of your own education, they won't hold your hand....until your in academic trouble...then they will hold your hand just long enough to smack it with a ruler (kidding....)

As for surprises.....I would have to say the whole laptop thing is over rated....I went out and dropped a small fortune thinking I needed this super computer....don't do it....get something that is cheap and meets the bare minimum, in fact, I will sell you mine for cheap....okay, kidding about selling mine, but really that was one thing that heated me up, you don't need the lap top, especially if you have a desk top and a printer. Also, I am still peaved at the fact that we don't have a book store, the library is growing slowly but surely, but the book store thing sucks. But it is a new school and the aches and pains of such are expected and are only minor in nature.

If I had to choose again, I would still come.....

I hope this helps....if you have any other questions feel free to contact me directly and I will try and help.

M-
LECOM-B c/o 09'

Wow! Thanks for all the insight. Makes me want to call the school and ask if I can switch from the LDP to the PBL! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dorkus Maximus said:
Wow! Thanks for all the insight. Makes we want to call the school and ask if I can switch from the LDP to the PBL! :laugh:
do it....do it, just do it....

kota315 said:
do it....do it, just do it....

Peer... pressure..... Don't know if I can hold out...... OK, I'll do it!

Dorkus Maximus said:
Peer... pressure..... Don't know if I can hold out...... OK, I'll do it!

You will be happy....I am sure....

Thanks, everyone, for the LECOM comparisons. I appreciate it!

hopefulfuturedo said:
I have decided this is where I will be attending, lets get our posts up here and get to know each other before next August. Congrats to everyone. :D

I also just found out I got accepted and will be attending LECOM!!! :D Where are you from? I agree, it would be nice to get to know eachother before we start school.

iwillbesoon said:
Hi!
I was accepted to the PBL program in PA and in Florida, and I'm TOTALLY torn over which to go to. Basically, I have a never-ending supply of questions...some of which are:
1. Do you feel like there's enough people in PBL that you don't get stuck with the same ones over and over (more for Erie than Bradenton)?
2. In your opinion, is the grading method fair?
3. If you could do it again, would you do PBL?
4. If I get stuck, are the professors as open to helping me as opposed to a LDP person?
5. How many times a week do you meet with your group in your first year? Second year?
6. If I decide to specialize instead of doing primary care, will the school help me with my goal, or will there be hurdles for my to jump over?
7. Have older students (MS3, maybe) complained that they aren't exposed to everything on the boards?
8. Do you live in an apartment? Does it have a garage? Was it hard to find somewhere nice?
9. Have you heard good/bad things about the PBL in Florida?

Is there anything else that springs to mind that was a surprise to you when you first started, or that wasn't as good as it was made out to be?

Sorry this is so long. I'm really happy to have found a PBL LECOMer on here - usually everyone is lecture based.

~Amy

I'm also completely torn. My gut reaction is to go to Bradenton, because it just felt more comfortable to me. but the little things about it being a completely new school scare me. then again, snow from halloween to st patrick's scares me more!! December 15th is getting closer and closer...

DOtonijay said:
I also just found out I got accepted and will be attending LECOM!!! :D Where are you from? I agree, it would be nice to get to know eachother before we start school.

I am from Gunnison, Colorado and am currently getting my Bachelor's in Cell and Molecular Biology. When I have more time I will write a little more about my self. Where are you from?

Hi I just got accepted to LECOM-Erie. I really wanna do my rotations in Philly or pittsburgh b/c I just love being in a city since I go to school in chicago. Is it easy to do this from LECOM that I can easily pick my rotations or would i have to do amazingly well in school to pull this off??? thanks

NUcat1 said:
Hi I just got accepted to LECOM-Erie. I really wanna do my rotations in Philly or pittsburgh b/c I just love being in a city since I go to school in chicago. Is it easy to do this from LECOM that I can easily pick my rotations or would i have to do amazingly well in school to pull this off??? thanks

Hi I am LECOM MSIV. I can answer just about anything you guys need to know. As far as rotations it is super easy to go where you want. You really have no limitations as to which hospitals in the nation you rotate at. Then only thing is that if its a non-affiliate you have to do the leg work yourself and set up the rotation, housing, flights, paperwork, etc. The rotations office will pretty much approve anything you want and long as you set it up first. There are people in my class who have spent the last 2 years living in California doing all their rotations there, or Seattle, or MI or wherever. It's really whatever you want which is nice. Good luck all, LECOM is a good school with a good reputation.

cabinbuilder said:
Hi I am LECOM MSIV. I can answer just about anything you guys need to know. As far as rotations it is super easy to go where you want. You really have no limitations as to which hospitals in the nation you rotate at. Then only thing is that if its a non-affiliate you have to do the leg work yourself and set up the rotation, housing, flights, paperwork, etc. The rotations office will pretty much approve anything you want and long as you set it up first. There are people in my class who have spent the last 2 years living in California doing all their rotations there, or Seattle, or MI or wherever. It's really whatever you want which is nice. Good luck all, LECOM is a good school with a good reputation.

Hey! Thanks for helping us out. What learning pathway are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
iwillbesoon said:
Hey! Thanks for helping us out. What learning pathway are you?
I did LDP. It worked for me since I really like a schedule and I like the fact that you have more than one exam per subject. Plus I am an auditory learner and in LDP you really don't have to buy many text books whereas in PBL you buy about $2000 worth of texts because there is no one teaching you. I like lecture because we got lots of clinicians from around town who came in to talk about patients, etc. Plus in LDP you start your cinical training the second semester. We have a class called CODA which really preps you for the step II clinical exam. I just took it and the CODA final at LECOM was way harder than the step II national test.

cabinbuilder said:
I did LDP. It worked for me since I really like a schedule and I like the fact that you have more than one exam per subject. Plus I am an auditory learner and in LDP you really don't have to buy many text books whereas in PBL you buy about $2000 worth of texts because there is no one teaching you. I like lecture because we got lots of clinicians from around town who came in to talk about patients, etc. Plus in LDP you start your cinical training the second semester. We have a class called CODA which really preps you for the step II clinical exam. I just took it and the CODA final at LECOM was way harder than the step II national test.
Hi. I hope you don't mind answering a couple of questions I have about LECOM-PA as I'm trying to decide between it and WVSOM. What time is lecture over? What are the format of exams? How much snow accumulation does Erie get dump with at any one time? <-- quite possibly the most important question :) . How easy/hard is it to set up your own rotation site? What's the closest one can live to the school - trying to decide if I need to get a car? If you have any opinion about WVSOM I'd like to hear. Thank you and good luck finishing up your last year of medical school!

Forgot. What do you suggest incoming students buy (steths, etc... ) before heading to Erie?

If I wanted to do rotations in chicago for my 3rd and 4th years, could it be at any hospital there along with the allopathic med students??? Or does it have to be a DO affiliated hospital in some way??? Sorry I'm still new on the idea that I can do my rotations almost anywhere. thanks

FutureDocDO said:
Hi. I hope you don't mind answering a couple of questions I have about LECOM-PA as I'm trying to decide between it and WVSOM. What time is lecture over? What are the format of exams? How much snow accumulation does Erie get dump with at any one time? <-- quite possibly the most important question :) . How easy/hard is it to set up your own rotation site? What's the closest one can live to the school - trying to decide if I need to get a car? If you have any opinion about WVSOM I'd like to hear. Thank you and good luck finishing up your last year of medical school!

Forgot. What do you suggest incoming students buy (steths, etc... ) before heading to Erie?

Hey FutureDocDO,

I can answer one of your questions. There's an apartment complex called Laurel Ridge that is at the corner of Ellsworth and Grandview - basically across the street from the school! I'm think I'm going to try and land a place there. The company is Pastore - phone # is 814-838-9640 and their website is www.pastorebuilders.com (Although I couldn't seem to find it on their website). You might need to call. Also, a great website for apartments is:www.rentalguideerie.com

what area do most students live in???

NUcat1 said:
If I wanted to do rotations in chicago for my 3rd and 4th years, could it be at any hospital there along with the allopathic med students??? Or does it have to be a DO affiliated hospital in some way??? Sorry I'm still new on the idea that I can do my rotations almost anywhere. thanks

I stayed with at 4th yr for my interview and I was told that the FP rotation is the only one that had to be with an osteopathic physician.

FutureDocDO said:

I can't really say the time lectures are over since every day is different. It ranges from 2pm to 5pm depending on the week/day/course/system. As far as exam format?? Everything is multiple choice just like the boards with the exception of the anatomy lab practical which is a lined sheet of 50 and you write in what the structure is for that number.

As far as the weather in Erie, You are on the great lakes so I have seen 3 feet overnight -no joke. But it doesn't not last long and the storms come and go. Erie avgs about 120inches of snow a year. Bad weather makes for good studying though.

Setting up your own rotations is very easy but you have to do the leg work and get the hospital to accept you. The clinical office only does the leg work for affiliates off the list (the list is very long btw) but once you get a hospital to accept you then you just do the online rotation request form and they send your info to that site. You need the contact name, hospital name, phone number and fax number and you are set. You are also responsible for setting up your own housing at a non-affiliate site.

As far as housing everything is close in Erie. I live 7 minutes from the school. Most students live 3 - 5 minutes away. I think the farthest I know is 20 minutes. For those of you from the big city there is no traffic in Erie and the longest I've been in the car to get to school/rotation here was 20 minutes. With that said I don't know how you would survive here without a car. You have to get to the store for food/supplies and I don't trust the bus system that much. Plus in the winter if you can have 4WD you are doing yourself a huge favor.

I do not know anything about the West Virginia school.

As far as supplies? Not really. Erie is about the cheapest place on Earth to live. There is no tax on non-food items and the sales are unbelievable. Having a computer is over rated unless you like to type your notes. If you get note service its really not necessary. I only took my computer to school about 3 times/semester to download the class notes and I printed them at office max with my LECOM discount - cheaper than note service. The school gives you a steth during the white coat ceremony.

I think that answers everything?? Good luck in your career.

Hey, PBL people!
My parents are asking me if there's any books or equipment I want for Christmas...got any suggestions? I say if my parents want to buy me books, I should let them, but I don't know which ones are good! If you've got one you really like, could you give me the ISBN # so I get the right edition? Thanks!

iwillbesoon said:
Hey, PBL people!
My parents are asking me if there's any books or equipment I want for Christmas...got any suggestions? I say if my parents want to buy me books, I should let them, but I don't know which ones are good! If you've got one you really like, could you give me the ISBN # so I get the right edition? Thanks!
All you have to do is go to the LECOM website under the bookstore and get the book list for your class. You can order everything on line if you want. It comes in a couple days

Thanks, cabinbuilder, for the book advice.

Got another question: Has anyone here had experience with buying/selling a house in Erie? I THINK (read: could change at any moment) I'm headed for LECOM-Erie instead of Bradenton. I started looking for houses and found a lot of them on that Coldwell Banker site. Thing is, I probably will end up selling it after four years if I don't do my res in PA (and I'm not sure I want to if it's true that I'd have an extra year tacked on...something about a rotating year or something?). Does anyone have any advice either way? In my eyes, the benefits are that hopefully I will break at least even on room & board by the end of the four years, I'll have a garage, no roommates (probably), and since I have a HUUUGE family it will be easy for me when they visit. Plus, I just want a house. But since I saw SOOO many for sale, I wonder if it's hard to sell...?

Oh, hey, the mail just came & I got accepted to CCOM. Hm, something else to think about.

cabinbuilder said:
I can't really say the time lectures are over since every day is different. It ranges from 2pm to 5pm depending on the week/day/course/system. As far as exam format?? Everything is multiple choice just like the boards with the exception of the anatomy lab practical which is a lined sheet of 50 and you write in what the structure is for that number.

As far as the weather in Erie, You are on the great lakes so I have seen 3 feet overnight -no joke. But it doesn't not last long and the storms come and go. Erie avgs about 120inches of snow a year. Bad weather makes for good studying though.

Setting up your own rotations is very easy but you have to do the leg work and get the hospital to accept you. The clinical office only does the leg work for affiliates off the list (the list is very long btw) but once you get a hospital to accept you then you just do the online rotation request form and they send your info to that site. You need the contact name, hospital name, phone number and fax number and you are set. You are also responsible for setting up your own housing at a non-affiliate site.

As far as housing everything is close in Erie. I live 7 minutes from the school. Most students live 3 - 5 minutes away. I think the farthest I know is 20 minutes. For those of you from the big city there is no traffic in Erie and the longest I've been in the car to get to school/rotation here was 20 minutes. With that said I don't know how you would survive here without a car. You have to get to the store for food/supplies and I don't trust the bus system that much. Plus in the winter if you can have 4WD you are doing yourself a huge favor.

I do not know anything about the West Virginia school.

As far as supplies? Not really. Erie is about the cheapest place on Earth to live. There is no tax on non-food items and the sales are unbelievable. Having a computer is over rated unless you like to type your notes. If you get note service its really not necessary. I only took my computer to school about 3 times/semester to download the class notes and I printed them at office max with my LECOM discount - cheaper than note service. The school gives you a steth during the white coat ceremony.

I think that answers everything?? Good luck in your career.
Thank you so much for posting. I have a couple additional questions if you don't mind answering. What was last year's COMLEX I & II pass rates? What kind of stethoscope is provided at the white coat ceremony? I hope it's a Cardiology III. When is the white coat ceremony? Is the anatomy practical straightforward naming or contains those 2nd and 3rd order questions? Again, thank you. I might bug you as more questions come to mind. If you can't tell I'm trying to decide where to send my deposit. I'm now leaning towards LECOM-Erie.

FutureDocDO said:
Thank you so much for posting. I have a couple additional questions if you don't mind answering. What was last year's COMLEX I & II pass rates? What kind of stethoscope is provided at the white coat ceremony? I hope it's a Cardiology III. When is the white coat ceremony? Is the anatomy practical straightforward naming or contains those 2nd and 3rd order questions? Again, thank you. I might bug you as more questions come to mind. If you can't tell I'm trying to decide where to send my deposit. I'm now leaning towards LECOM-Erie.

The Comlex I & II pass rates we as students are not privvy to. I only know what I hear through the grapevine. I know historically about 30 students fail each year. But like I said before you have to pass both steps in order to graduate from LECOM. IT is required and you have to do it in 6 years fro starting. I know in my class about 15 failed step I the first time, 6 failed step I the second time. 4 failed the 3rd time and were dismissed. I know afew who failed step II (<10) and passed the second time. There are always a few but ultimately everyone has to pass.

It is the cardiology III steth given out.

The white coat ceremony is at the begininng of second semester. Early February.

The anatomy practice is hard. LECOM has the hardest anatomy course of any school. Most of it is straight but there are many 2nd, and 3rd order questions. We also get bones, and x-ray questions.

I don't mind answering questions. LECOM prepares you well. It has a good reputation for putting out quality doctors.

cabinbuilder said:
The Comlex I & II pass rates we as students are not privvy to. I only know what I hear through the grapevine. I know historically about 30 students fail each year. But like I said before you have to pass both steps in order to graduate from LECOM. IT is required and you have to do it in 6 years fro starting. I know in my class about 15 failed step I the first time, 6 failed step I the second time. 4 failed the 3rd time and were dismissed. I know afew who failed step II (<10) and passed the second time. There are always a few but ultimately everyone has to pass.

It is the cardiology III steth given out.

The white coat ceremony is at the begininng of second semester. Early February.

The anatomy practice is hard. LECOM has the hardest anatomy course of any school. Most of it is straight but there are many 2nd, and 3rd order questions. We also get bones, and x-ray questions.

I don't mind answering questions. LECOM prepares you well. It has a good reputation for putting out quality doctors.
Thank you!

Whats harder...the USMLE or COMLEX???

Ok, guys...I've decided. Erie it is. I'm not changing the check again.

Why did you choose erie over ccom, azcom, pcsom???

iwillbesoon said:
Ok, guys...I've decided. Erie it is. I'm not changing the check again.

NUcat1 said:
Why did you choose erie over ccom, azcom, pcsom???

Hmm..just liked it better overall I guess. Besides Bradenton, it's the only one with PBL (that I've been accepted to). I wasn't in love with AZCOM - it's a good school and pretty and all, but I just didn't think I'd be all that happy with it or with the "set up your own rotations" policy. Plus, it's a few hundred $ to make a trip home. LECOM is about a $60 plane ride - round trip. CCOM is only an hour from my house - it makes sense that I'd go there, but when I interviewed I just wasn't impressed. Plus, I have two friends going there and they brought up some things I hadn't thought of that they weren't thrilled with. I think if I went there, I'd be happy with it in the end...but I guess I just don't want to go there. PCSOM had the NICEST people, but they limit you to four hub sites for your rotations, and they indicated that they want to to stay there for your res too.... The thing is, I really LIKED that school, but again, no PBL and I'm not sure I want to dedicate the next several years to their hub site areas. With LECOM, I know that it's possible for me to set up my own rotations (possibly even back home) if I want to.

Plus, tuition at CCOM for instate is still $32k....and tuition at LECOM is $25k....I bet overall (even with moving expenses and all) it'll be cheaper at LECOM. Housing in Downer's Grove is EXPENSIVE, and I'd go crazy if I tried to live an hour away from CCOM at home.

Other Erie draws: reminded me a bit of IL, people were nice, PBL program is what I want (that was the biggest deciding factor), area was pretty, lots of research opportunities, board scores were lower than AZCOM but higher than CCOM - so I know they're somewhat competitive, I'm a technology freak & they had lots...meh, who knows - I just liked it best. Honestly, if CCOM had PBL, I'd probably go there.

Sounds like youi're from Chicago, so you probably think I'm crazy for leaving.

Yea I'm from Chicago. I'm gonna be finishing up my senior year at Northwestern U. i know for sure i'm gonna miss living in a city. thats why i'm tryin to see how easy it is to set up my own rotations so that maybe i can come back someday. hopefully it'll work out. i think i'm still waiting to here from nova and pcom. if those dont work out, which looks like it wont, then i guess i'll be at lecom-erie then.

iwillbesoon said:
Hmm..just liked it better overall I guess. Besides Bradenton, it's the only one with PBL (that I've been accepted to). I wasn't in love with AZCOM - it's a good school and pretty and all, but I just didn't think I'd be all that happy with it or with the "set up your own rotations" policy. Plus, it's a few hundred $ to make a trip home. LECOM is about a $60 plane ride - round trip. CCOM is only an hour from my house - it makes sense that I'd go there, but when I interviewed I just wasn't impressed. Plus, I have two friends going there and they brought up some things I hadn't thought of that they weren't thrilled with. I think if I went there, I'd be happy with it in the end...but I guess I just don't want to go there. PCSOM had the NICEST people, but they limit you to four hub sites for your rotations, and they indicated that they want to to stay there for your res too.... The thing is, I really LIKED that school, but again, no PBL and I'm not sure I want to dedicate the next several years to their hub site areas. With LECOM, I know that it's possible for me to set up my own rotations (possibly even back home) if I want to.

Plus, tuition at CCOM for instate is still $32k....and tuition at LECOM is $25k....I bet overall (even with moving expenses and all) it'll be cheaper at LECOM. Housing in Downer's Grove is EXPENSIVE, and I'd go crazy if I tried to live an hour away from CCOM at home.

Other Erie draws: reminded me a bit of IL, people were nice, PBL program is what I want (that was the biggest deciding factor), area was pretty, lots of research opportunities, board scores were lower than AZCOM but higher than CCOM - so I know they're somewhat competitive, I'm a technology freak & they had lots...meh, who knows - I just liked it best. Honestly, if CCOM had PBL, I'd probably go there.

Sounds like youi're from Chicago, so you probably think I'm crazy for leaving.

i'm hoping i get into lecom, i'm from erie so going back home to lecom would be awesome, i'm interviewing soon and would like to know if anyone has any tips for me, also any questions about erie let me know, considering i grew up there.
hopeful for the class of 2010

turbosloth said:
i'm hoping i get into lecom, i'm from erie so going back home to lecom would be awesome, i'm interviewing soon and would like to know if anyone has any tips for me, also any questions about erie let me know, considering i grew up there.
hopeful for the class of 2010

Excellent, I do have one. What should I look for in a house in Erie? Do you guys have flooding problems ever? Just stuff like that that I might not think of.

As far as tips: be enthusiastic about SOMETHING in your file. They don't give many facial expressions, so sometimes when you're excited about something, they smile too. Also, read over those feedback posts! There is a set list of questions, and it will help you to practice them. The rest of your day besides the interview is pretty structured, so that's really your only contact with people who make recommendations (unless other people rate you that you don't know about).

not to be pessimistic or anything..but if i were you iwillbesoon..i would go to CCOM..despite the extra costs...mainly because of their clinical education..as one of the other SDNers have mentioned..clinical education is probably more valuable than the first 2 years...and the school is also near your home town..if it were me it'd be a no-brainer..but if you felt that LECOM is the better fit...which i totally understand (NSUCOM just felt so right for me)..than im happy for you :)

As far as tips: be enthusiastic about SOMETHING in your file. They don't give many facial expressions, so sometimes when you're excited about something, they smile too. Also, read over those feedback posts! There is a set list of questions, and it will help you to practice them. The rest of your day besides the interview is pretty structured, so that's really your only contact with people who make recommendations (unless other people rate you that you don't know about).[/QUOTE]

I've never had problems with flooding where i lived. as for looking for a place to live, the new apartments/condos that are being built around lecom seems to be the best way to go, my friend lives in one and the rent is pretty cheap for a two bedroom apt, with a garage and two levels, i think it's 700 bucks. Staying close to lecom would most likely be beneficial especially in the winter with the lake effect snow.

turbosloth said:
As far as tips: be enthusiastic about SOMETHING in your file. They don't give many facial expressions, so sometimes when you're excited about something, they smile too. Also, read over those feedback posts! There is a set list of questions, and it will help you to practice them. The rest of your day besides the interview is pretty structured, so that's really your only contact with people who make recommendations (unless other people rate you that you don't know about).

I've never had problems with flooding where i lived. as for looking for a place to live, the new apartments/condos that are being built around lecom seems to be the best way to go, my friend lives in one and the rent is pretty cheap for a two bedroom apt, with a garage and two levels, i think it's 700 bucks. Staying close to lecom would most likely be beneficial especially in the winter with the lake effect snow.[/QUOTE]

Can ya give me some names of these new condos/apt complexes???

mikeypo0 said:
not to be pessimistic or anything..but if i were you iwillbesoon..i would go to CCOM..despite the extra costs...mainly because of their clinical education..as one of the other SDNers have mentioned..clinical education is probably more valuable than the first 2 years...and the school is also near your home town..if it were me it'd be a no-brainer..but if you felt that LECOM is the better fit...which i totally understand (NSUCOM just felt so right for me)..than im happy for you :)

mikeypo0--Did you interview at Erie? I know that I was impressed with it. I went in not even considering it, and left thinking that I would be happy.

Seriously, a lot of the talk that goes on on these boards are just talk. People have oppinions about schools with out even visiting them. I am stunned at how awsome some of the schools were, in comparrison to others. (not a direct attack to mikey)

To iwillbesoon, sorry you are not coming to Bradenton. But I understand your process of thinking. I am thinking of turning down MSU (a pretty highly ranked school with awsome rotations) for Bradenton and PBL. There was just something about that school that made me love it. Sorry to hear that you wont be coming there though. Would have been nice to be classmates. Best of luck.

mikeypo0 said:

Yeah, CCOM is closer, but it doesn't have PBL!! That's like, a HUGE minus. I really hate lecture. There were a few other things that bugged me about CCOM. So many of the students seemed run down and generally tired. Plus, there was some of the "IF you go to class" attitude there...I would prefer if the students thought class was really valuable (e.g. good and interesting and worthwhile). That's not a reflection on the students exactly, more on the administration. The cost doesn't really bother me. I use it to compare, but money isn't a huge deal. I think that if CCOM was less than LECOM that I'd still probably go to LECOM. I was impressed with CCOM's match list though. Wish LECOM would make theirs available...

FrogE7 said:
mikeypo0--Did you interview at Erie? I know that I was impressed with it. I went in not even considering it, and left thinking that I would be happy.

Seriously, a lot of the talk that goes on on these boards are just talk. People have oppinions about schools with out even visiting them. I am stunned at how awsome some of the schools were, in comparrison to others. (not a direct attack to mikey)

To iwillbesoon, sorry you are not coming to Bradenton. But I understand your process of thinking. I am thinking of turning down MSU (a pretty highly ranked school with awsome rotations) for Bradenton and PBL. There was just something about that school that made me love it. Sorry to hear that you wont be coming there though. Would have been nice to be classmates. Best of luck.

Aww, thanks. That's sweet. Good luck with your decision. I just woke up one day and was like "Erie. That's it. No more thinking."... it wasn't easy. When do you have to decide by?? Must be coming up soon...

FrogE7 said:

No i decided not to apply to LECOM erie..because my friends brother went there.and he absolutely hated it..this of course was like 6 years ago..when the school didnt have as many clinical affiliations..and the city wasnt as developed..but i respect ya'lls decision..some schools just feel like a perfect fit..and a happy student = a student that studies well, etc...so definately go to a place where you feel the most comfortable..so you can rock it..and be the best doc you can!! let us know which school you guys ultimately decide..

for me..it was NSUCOM.i absolutely loved the place :love: ..and i interviewed rite after the hurricane hit too..hehe..

so as you all know I have decided to go to Erie and sent in my check and signature page like two months ago. The check hasn't cashed yet and I haven't recieved anything from them saying they recieved my acceptance documents. Has anyone of your checks cashed or have you recieved anything. thank you so much. I am so worried because next week is December 15 and everytime I call them they say she is to busy to talk to me and she won't return my e-mails or phone calls. :mad:

hopefulfuturedo said:
so as you all know I have decided to go to Erie and sent in my check and signature page like two months ago. The check hasn't cashed yet and I haven't recieved anything from them saying they recieved my acceptance documents. Has anyone of your checks cashed or have you recieved anything. thank you so much. I am so worried because next week is December 15 and everytime I call them they say she is to busy to talk to me and she won't return my e-mails or phone calls. :mad:

Funny you posted this! I was just about to do the same! :laugh: I sent in my acceptance and check about two months ago as well, but haven't heard a thing and my bank account still looks like it's in good shape (it will be a different story once that check goes through!). I was going to call tomorrow, but from what you've said, it would be a lost cause anyway... It would be nice to have some confirmation though, wouldn't it? :confused:

I sent in my check last week, and I called yesterday to check, my hasnt been cashed as well. Lady in admissions said that they received it, but it hasnt been processed yet. So I guess they dont cash checks right away. :)

Which cell phone carriers have service in PA? Does Cingular? My f***ing Sprint contract finally ended. If you aren't sure who has decent service, can you tell me the names of some of the cell phone companies that have stores in the area?

iwillbesoon said:
Which cell phone carriers have service in PA? Does Cingular? My f***ing Sprint contract finally ended. If you aren't sure who has decent service, can you tell me the names of some of the cell phone companies that have stores in the area?

Cingular, Verizon, T-mobile... I had Verizon for couple years now, and I like it :) :thumbup:

so whats social life like in erie?? how far is it from pittsburgh?? anyone have any ideas where to live?? i called the office and they said they got my deposit but havent processed it yet.

Erie is 2 hours by car to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo.

If you have kids you want to live in Millcreek, the schools are way better than Erie city schools. Othere wise if you are single there are tons and tons of apts close to the school within 10 mintues drive. Erie is a very small city so nothing is really that far. If you have specific housing questions I should be able to help you as far as location. You don't want to be too far away since winter storm driving is hell and Erie is not flat so people tend to get stuck easily. I prefer my 4WD over anything but that's just me.

Ever hear about an apt complex called Lovell Place??? Its somewhere on French Street.

cabinbuilder said:
Erie is 2 hours by car to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo.

If you have kids you want to live in Millcreek, the schools are way better than Erie city schools. Othere wise if you are single there are tons and tons of apts close to the school within 10 mintues drive. Erie is a very small city so nothing is really that far. If you have specific housing questions I should be able to help you as far as location. You don't want to be too far away since winter storm driving is hell and Erie is not flat so people tend to get stuck easily. I prefer my 4WD over anything but that's just me.

French street is on the East side of the city from the school and way down the hill close to the lake. It's about 20 minutes to the school from there but a real bitch to do during the snow storms. You can live way closer with less hassles in the winter.

LECOM is on West Grandview. I know they give out lots of housing fliers in the acceptance letter packet. I know many classmates lives in Grenada on Kuntz road and hated it there. There are really nice townhouse appt on West 38th and West Grandview about 3 mintues from the school. Unless I know where you are looking that's about the best I can give you right now.

NUcat1 said:
Ever hear about an apt complex called Lovell Place??? Its somewhere on French Street.

I have known people who live at Lovell and really like it - it's a gorgeous renovation, and nice to be able to walk to the clubs and restaurants in the "downtown," if you like that feature.