LECOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not a Panera Bread too?!!!!!!!! And I just re-started my low-carb diet....there goes the neighborhood! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey HopefulDO & Dorkus

Sorry about the Broncos! I thought they were going to make it. :(

I hope I didn't make Brookwood seem that bad because its not. It just has its ups and downs like any other place. I just hate to see you guys settle for this place (like I did) because its one of the few places that allows pets.

They are pet friendly but it isn't exactly a pet friendly area. If you have a small indoor pet it isn't that bad. However, if you have a medium/large dog it could definately be a hassle. My neighbor is constantly picking up $hit after his dog.

There are other places that allow pets so don't just limit yourself to Brookwood. If you call and ask the property management places they should be able to hook you up with something. Try looking in the Erie Times because there is usually something that pops up. Also, contact the school because there are students with rental properties who only rent to LECOM students. I almost rented from some LECOMers last year but I didn't and now I'm wishing I did. :(

If your better half is going to Penn State-Behrand then Brookwood is probably as good as its going to get.

My lease is up in June so I will be looking in the next few months for something better. I was told by a recent LECOM grad that Fairview is an awesome place to live so thats where I am going to look. However, if nothing comes available I will still be here. So, maybe we will be neighbors?

Dorkus - Lake View is an awesome place. I was just over there last Saturday for a party. I would love to live there but I couldn't give up my dogs.

If you guys need anything just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Werty

NUcat1 said:
What and where is the most expensive place to live in Erie/Milcreek??? I need something to gauge on.

I don't know the most expensive but I can probably tell you the cheapest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wegmans is the ultimate of all grocery stores. I just love there candy section around Halloween. Yum! Yum! :)

wertyjoe said:
Wegmans is the ultimate of all grocery stores. I just love there candy section around Halloween. Yum! Yum! :)

Wegman's is THE MOST EXPENSIVE grocery store in Erie. You cannot survive on student loans and feed a family if you shop there.

cabinbuilder said:
Wegman's is THE MOST EXPENSIVE grocery store in Erie. You cannot survive on student loans and feed a family if you shop there.

Then the other grocery stores in Erie must be dirt cheap because I've been down south for seven years and Wegmans is by far significantly cheaper than anything around here (probably comperable to Food Lion prices but Food Lion is just gross and has no selection!) We have a Harris Teeter that is the closest thing in quality to Wegmans but is much more pricey.

doctorE2010 said:
Then the other grocery stores in Erie must be dirt cheap because I've been down south for seven years and Wegmans is by far significantly cheaper than anything around here (probably comperable to Food Lion prices but Food Lion is just gross and has no selection!) We have a Harris Teeter that is the closest thing in quality to Wegmans but is much more pricey.

Wow, there are lots of choices in Erie and Wegman's is the most expensive and I feed 4 people at home. Plus I think the quality of their meat is low and it's way overpriced for all the marbling in it. I worked in a grocery store for 6 years before going into med school so I have a frame of reference.

I shop at Quality Markets, Save-A-Lot for my canned/dry goods, Erie County Farms (I buy 4 months worth of meat for $250) and large items at Sam's Club. There are lots of choices in Erie and for me I only get prescription drugs at Wegmans since it's close to my house.

cabinbuilder said:

I'm not feeding an army like yourself. :)

We shop at numerous grocery stores however you can't beat the variety that Wegmans has.

Looks like I'll be joining you all in Erie next year :D I just sent in my deposit today!

Spankete87 said:
Looks like I'll be joining you all in Erie next year :D I just sent in my deposit today!

Whoohooo! Doesn't it feel great to get the whole application process over with? :D

Dorkus Maximus said:
Whoohooo! Doesn't it feel great to get the whole application process over with? :D

Most definitely! And I'm espcially glad that I don't have to obsess over my mail box anymore :D

It's about time. They sent one financial aid thing, and then a huuuge packet of stuff to sign/do and send back, an academic calendar, and laptop requirements. Also...they raised tuition - not much, but still, I'm not thrilled about it. Current students: do they raise tuition every year?

The letter says everyone is expected to make a trip to get an ID and have your laptop configured before orientation. I was going to go in 2 weeks, but now I guess I should wait until I actually buy a laptop...

Hey, any LECOM Steelers fans? Lets celebrate!!!!!!!!! We did it!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :laugh: :love: :love: :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can go get your ID before getting a laptop. Security will take care of that and you will beat the rush. Don't stress about the laptop. You really don't need one especially if you sign up for note service unless you want to play in class like everyone else does. You don't wait to get your computer configured, you just drop it off with the computer people and pick it up later in the day.

As far as tuition, they raise it a little bit each year but then so does all the other schools. It's still the cheapest private school to go to. Don't worry about that either.

I sent in my deposit a while ago to LECOM-Erie and have not heard back anything yet. When did you get all this paperwork??

anutka21 said:
Hey, any LECOM Steelers fans? Lets celebrate!!!!!!!!! We did it!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :laugh: :love: :love: :love:

This past weekend was by far the greatest weekend of my life. I got my acceptence letter from LECOM (so happy to be joining all of you by the way) AND our Steelers won the SUPER BOWL!!!! WOOHOOO!! Did you get a chance to go to the parade yesterday? It was crazy!!! I :love: the Steelers. Don't you agree that Mike Holgrem (spelling?) is the biggest cry baby ever? (just thought I would add that :) )

DrWiggles said:
This past weekend was by far the greatest weekend of my life. I got my acceptence letter from LECOM (so happy to be joining all of you by the way) AND our Steelers won the SUPER BOWL!!!! WOOHOOO!! Did you get a chance to go to the parade yesterday? It was crazy!!! I :love: the Steelers. Don't you agree that Mike Holgrem (spelling?) is the biggest cry baby ever? (just thought I would add that :) )

Hey, so glad to find fellow Steelers fan :) Congratulations on your acceptance! What pathway are you in? I didnt get a chance to go to the parade, I had classes, but I did get to see Oakland riots, it was maad :laugh: , but I loved it. Go Steelers!

anutka21 said:
Hey, so glad to find fellow Steelers fan :) Congratulations on your acceptance! What pathway are you in? I didnt get a chance to go to the parade, I had classes, but I did get to see Oakland riots, it was maad :laugh: , but I loved it. Go Steelers!

Thanks!! And congrats to you and everyone one else!! I am in LDP. Which pathway are you in?

GO STEELERS!!!!! :D

DrWiggles said:
Thanks!! And congrats to you and everyone one else!! I am in LDP. Which pathway are you in?

I'm in the LDP pathway too :)

DrWiggles said:

Same here - LDP :thumbup:

anutka21 said:
Same here - LDP :thumbup:

I'm in LDP too! I wish my beloved Broncos made it to the Super Bowl... :( Maybe next year!

PBL here. No more lectures for me, can't stand em! :)

BirdMomDO2B said:
nobody else in ISP here yet?

(ISP = I Sleep Plenty)
LDP here as well. Although, I wish I'd picked ISP and attend lecture when and if I want to.

ISP here:-D I can't wait to take control of my education, lol.

Dr Trek 1 said:
I sent in my deposit a while ago to LECOM-Erie and have not heard back anything yet. When did you get all this paperwork??

Dr Trek 1,
I got the first batch (financial aid junk) around the end of Jan., and the rest of it came on Feb. 4th.

Cabinbuilder: Is there anyone there on weekends that could do the ID, or do you think I'd need to come back on a weekday?

I am interviewing for Erie March 6, and am concerned that they may be full up by now/then. I am most interested in ISP, then PBL, then LDP. When you tell them which pathway, are you given a default LDP if say ISP is full, or is the only seat available to you the pathway you indicate?

Since you may attend (or not) as many lectures as you wish, I am surprised most do not choose ISP, for flexibility and more down-time.

toothless rufus said:
I am interviewing for Erie March 6, and am concerned that they may be full up by now/then. I am most interested in ISP, then PBL, then LDP. When you tell them which pathway, are you given a default LDP if say ISP is full, or is the only seat available to you the pathway you indicate?

Since you may attend (or not) as many lectures as you wish, I am surprised most do not choose ISP, for flexibility and more down-time.

I would worry about an acceptance first, then pathway choice.

Ahh, ok. I was just worried that you got one choice or nothing.

toothless rufus said:

I'm sorry to say by the time you interview there will NOT be a single spot open for ISP for PBL. I'm not even sure there's any left at this point. You're looking at LDP if accepted. Sorry for the bad news. Good luck with your interview though :luck: .

What's the dress attire for guys and girls at LECOM-PA during OMM? Do we have to change back into our professional clothes for class when OMM is over or is OMM the last class of the day? Thanks.

FutureDocDO said:
I'm sorry to say by the time you interview there will NOT be a single spot open for ISP for PBL. I'm not even sure there's any left at this point. You're looking at LDP if accepted. Sorry for the bad news. Good luck with your interview though :luck: .

Arrgh! Poopie!

toothless rufus said:
Arrgh! Poopie!
:laugh: LDP is not so bad! I chose LDP but thinking I should have went with ISP.

Is LECOM-PA Lecture-Discussion Pathway (LDP) system based? It looks like it from their website but... Thanks.

Hey
If anyone of you have questions about LDP or LECOM in general, feel free to PM me. I'm a 3rd year (almost 4th year, wow that's amazing to say)

Oh and if any of you LDP gunners out there are thinking about buying books already, DON'T. You'll just need some basic anatomy stuff, the OMM book, and that's it. All the lectures are on powerpoints which you get and you only use textbooks for reference or to clarify things you don't understand. The professors are good about picking and chosing the important crap. You'll save a TON of money.

FOr MS1s, OMM is wednesday mornings from 8-12. You have lecture from 8-9. Half the class has lab from 9-1030 and the other half has it from 1030-1200. Dress code is cotton shorts and shirts for both, girls need a sports bra. Once OMM is over and you have classes after noon, you have to be back in dress code. You are allowed to go to the morning OMM lecture in your OMM clothes. For MS2s, OMM is Wednesday afternoon with the same idea. They have to be in dress code for their AM regular classes.

Once you get out of anatomy and core, LDP is systems based!

Oh and you might want to think about rounding up all your immunization crap. That can take awhile and you need to have your doctor sign off on the exact dates of them.

Doctortobee said:
Hey
If anyone of you have questions about LDP or LECOM in general, feel free to PM me. I'm a 3rd year (almost 4th year, wow that's amazing to say)

Oh and if any of you LDP gunners out there are thinking about buying books already, DON'T. You'll just need some basic anatomy stuff, the OMM book, and that's it. All the lectures are on powerpoints which you get and you only use textbooks for reference or to clarify things you don't understand. The professors are good about picking and chosing the important crap. You'll save a TON of money.

FOr MS1s, OMM is wednesday mornings from 8-12. You have lecture from 8-9. Half the class has lab from 9-1030 and the other half has it from 1030-1200. Dress code is cotton shorts and shirts for both, girls need a sports bra. Once OMM is over and you have classes after noon, you have to be back in dress code. You are allowed to go to the morning OMM lecture in your OMM clothes. For MS2s, OMM is Wednesday afternoon with the same idea. They have to be in dress code for their AM regular classes.

Once you get out of anatomy and core, LDP is systems based!

Oh and you might want to think about rounding up all your immunization crap. That can take awhile and you need to have your doctor sign off on the exact dates of them.

Where did your rotatations? Is it easy to do them outside of Erie? I really want to do all my rotations in NYC.

doctorE2010 said:
Have you guys seen this thread?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=259953

What's up with this guy??? Any current students have any thoughts??
He's voicing his opinions whether we like or not. I am leaning towards LECOM-PA so it's good to know what to expect or not to expect from the school.

Although I must say it is strange that admissions people have to sit in with us during lunch and coach what upperclassmen had to say.

[/QUOTE] Although I must say it is strange that admissions people have to sit in with us during lunch and coach what upperclassmen had to say.[/QUOTE]

I've seen a couple of people comment that they had that happen during their interview. I know when I interviewed I think someone might have eaten with us, but they left pretty quickly and a few of us definitely talked to the students one on one. I never got a creepy feeling from LECOM-PA. But then again, I interviewed the day the students took their last exams, so lots of the students were gone. Either way, I'm headed for LECOM-PA and am really looking forward to my eduction!

And I kind of like rules, so the dress code and attendence policy and stuff works for me. ;) At least I know I have no choice but to go to class every day.

Although I must say it is strange that admissions people have to sit in with us during lunch and coach what upperclassmen had to say.[/QUOTE]

I've seen a couple of people comment that they had that happen during their interview. I know when I interviewed I think someone might have eaten with us, but they left pretty quickly and a few of us definitely talked to the students one on one. I never got a creepy feeling from LECOM-PA. But then again, I interviewed the day the students took their last exams, so lots of the students were gone. Either way, I'm headed for LECOM-PA and am really looking forward to my eduction!

And I kind of like rules, so the dress code and attendence policy and stuff works for me. ;) At least I know I have no choice but to go to class every day.[/QUOTE]

Agree :thumbup:

I don't mind dressing up either... maybe they could take away the tie thing. :)

hey....so dress code on omm days (weds) is sooo stupid
first year you have omm in the mornings...so you come to class in your sweats,t-shirts,etc...then if you have class in the afternoon...you go home for lunch and change back into your "lecom attire"

second year you have omm in the afternoons. so if you got class in the am you come all glammed up and then in the pm you change to omm clothes.

yes its dumb....but you will get thru....some people actually got away with dressing the whole day in sweats....but you have to test the waters first. you dont want to be the only one and you dont want to be walking down the hallway and get spotted by someone important....they'll send you home to change. :laugh:

FutureDocDO said:
Is LECOM's pass rate actually 76% :eek: ? If that's the average and PBLers always do better than LDP that means it's lower than 76% for LDP.

As I remember from my interview, they said that statistically all pathways had equal passing rates. However, non-statistically they said PBL had a SLIGHTLY higher pass rate than the other two.

Dr Trek 1 said:
As I remember from my interview, they said that statistically all pathways had equal passing rates. However, non-statistically they said PBL had a SLIGHTLY higher pass rate than the other two.
That's what I was told as well. Still, 76% is really low.

FutureDocDO said:
That's what I was told as well. Still, 76% is really low.

At my interview I was told it was around 90%.......which makes me wonder. I mean 76 and 90 are very different numbers! :confused:

Maybe someone who's an MSIII or MSIV could help us out here with the real numbers? I may just call the school and ask on Monday........if they'll give me that information.

iwillbesoon said:
Dr Trek 1,

Cabinbuilder: Is there anyone there on weekends that could do the ID, or do you think I'd need to come back on a weekday?

I would not count on being able to do the ID on the weekend. It may be possible though since the securtiy people did my class. You can call and ask Colleen at the front desk. 814-866-6641. She would know.

The guy who is badmouthing LECOM probably was caught eating in the classroom or something and is burned. The rules are not that hard to follow and in reality they are getting you ready for the "real world" where others dictate what you can/cannot do. I have found that those who complain the most have never worked in their life and are stuck with the junior high mentality. I mean, all the professors have the same rules put on them (no coffee in the offices, shirt/tie to teach) I don't see them complaining. Anyhow, dress code is 8-4 so after that you can wear your sweats to study in the library. Remeber that LECOM is a private school and they can dictate how they want the students to look. Its all about the image. And I can say that once on rotations you will be happy that you are used to shirt at tie because LECOM students get noticed for their professionalism and attire. I've had quite a few comments about it from patients.

Spankete87 said:
Maybe someone who's an MSIII or MSIV could help us out here with the real numbers? I may just call the school and ask on Monday........if they'll give me that information.

Hmm, lets see. I am fourth year. This is what I have heard from my class.

We have approx 220 students. I think 40 failed step I the first time, 8 failed step the the second time. 4 failed the third time and were dismissed.

Approx 10 failed step II the first time. They are in the process of taking it again. I know of 3 who failed step II PE.

There are always a few who have repeated first year or second year.

You have to finish all requirements within 6 years of starting.

You guys can do the math. Hope that helps. It really doesnt' matter as long as you get through. People always have issues and bad days. The BOTTOM line is that LECOM really works with you if you have issues, need time off, have a baby, repeat a year, fail a test. WHATEVER. One failure is not the end, you move forward and finish eventually.