LECOM - DON'T COME!! Avoid this school like the plague

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eldarion3141

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are many of you who have doubts about LECOM, and whether or not they have a good program overall. As a second year who is preparing for boards, let me just say, that I have lost all faith and confidence in my school. I keep on trying to convince others that the school is not that bad, and that there are some positives as well as some negatives, but all i see lately are some very glaring negatives.
LECOM talks a big talk, but there are some huge gaps in the curriculum.
There will be more tommorow, i need to go to bed so i can be well rested for this diagnostic exam that, "if you get above a 50% then we will be happy"
-what a vote of confidence eh?

More tomorrow

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this thread is entirely appropriate...at least it has the potential to turn bad.

Just make sure that when you offer observations about your school that they are done so in a professional manner or I can see the Post Fairy shutting the door quickly.

Plus they are tracking you down right this minute!!!!

BTW, every school has gaps in their teaching... and every school will require students to do more and more self teaching.

At least at LECOM you pay 10,000 less / year 10,000x4 = 40 with interest 50... its is like getting 25% off your DO degree. Take 2k and put it towards Kaplan course now and you will learn everything you need for the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been threads like this about Lecom and other schools in the past, they are always monotonous and aggravating. They just turn into giant arguments. :thumbdown:

here we go again...

I think OP should be thankful that LECOM gave him opportunity to become physician. Every school has good and bad. School tries their best to teach you and it is student's responsibility to learn the material. Just my two cents.

**grabbing popcorn and busting out a beer** this is gonna be a good one!

These anti-Lecom threads popup often. I would daresay I see threads against Lecom more so than any other school. It does make ya wonder...

These anti-Lecom threads popup often. I would daresay I see threads against Lecom more so than any other school. It does make ya wonder...

That was my thought as well. "wow another student who hates it, hhhmmm??"

I know that there are many of you who have doubts about LECOM, and whether or not they have a good program overall. As a second year who is preparing for boards, let me just say, that I have lost all faith and confidence in my school. I keep on trying to convince others that the school is not that bad, and that there are some positives as well as some negatives, but all i see lately are some very glaring negatives.
There will be more tommorow, i need to go to bed so i can be well rested for this diagnostic exam that, "if you get above a 50% then we will be happy"

More tomorrow

This is like that thread by that guy steelcity the other year.

Look, one of the really good things about LECOM is the tuition. I'd also imagine you'd also have fairly good rotations into Ohio and PA and NY.

LECOM is still a new school, it was founded in what? 1993?

Every school has its own unique problems.

More tomorrow

whats alarming is that this same guy was defending his school from such an attack last year...(check his post history)...makes you wonder..doesnt it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your past posts about LECOM were fairly positive. I wonder what turned you sour.

I don't think this thread is entirely appropriate...

I think threads like this have important information value for potential applicants. While each individual has a duty to do their own research, & make their own decision, these discussions can add valuable perspective.

More tomorrow

After visiting this school and experiencing their environment I wanted only one thing, get on my plane and run as fast as I can from there. The whole school seems as a set up...well, it is just my opinion.

More tomorrow

YES!!! I was wondering how long it would take!! ANOTHER ONE!! Who brought the pop corn?

Ah, the good old Steel_City days are back again. Somebody wake up Jamers!

I'm here, but I think I will be a bystander in this one. Steel_douche sucked all the energy out of me with his arguments founded in, what is the opposite of logic, oh yeah, ****.

I think threads like this have important information value for potential applicants. While each individual has a duty to do their own research, & make their own decision, these discussions can add valuable perspective.

No, not threads like "this one." There are plenty of threds with valuable information, presented in a thoughtful way, that can help you make a careful decision. Simply the manner in which this one was presented indicates malice on the part of the OP, not clear, ratinal thinking. It means he or she is pissed off for some reason and wants to find someone to blame. The easy target is the school. Few people are willing to blame themselves these days when they do something really stupid or simply don't get there way. A whole lot of people get pissed off, for instance, when they don't get there first choice for every rotation. LECOM actually has 3 times as many slots as it can fill, but not everyone wants to fill them all. Some people become very angry about that. It's natural, but blasting the school is in very poor taste. There are better ways to express your anger.

As for loss of confidence...why? The OP may have a lack of confidence in his or her ability to do well; however, LECOM also had a student make an 850 on COMLEX. How is that possible if the school doesn't give you the background to help you through it? In the end you are responsible for your own medical education. If you stay focused, you will do well in school. If you slack off, you will fail. However, they keep a fairly close watch on you because they want you to pass. They want you to do well. They make you meet with your advisor if you are doing poorly and work on a plan to help you through it. People who are failing are given a chance to remediate; they aren't simply thrown to the side and tossed out like yesterday's garbage.

I'm here, but I think I will be a bystander in this one. Steel_douche sucked all the energy out of me with his arguments founded in, what is the opposite of logic, oh yeah, ****.

Awww - c'mon!! That's no fun! We're all waiting here...!! ;)

LECOM actually has 3 times as many slots as it can fill, but not everyone wants to fill them all.

Are these slots mostly at teaching hospitals (i.e. with a resident, attending, intern, etc), or are they just preceptor based?

At this stage of the game, I'm not looking into specializing in something supercompetitive, but I would like to be able to do IM rotations at a major teaching hospital. Is that realistically possible at LECOM?

As for loss of confidence...why? The OP may have a lack of confidence in his or her ability to do well; however, LECOM also had a student make an 850 on COMLEX. How is that possible if the school doesn't give you the background to help you through it?

To be honest, that person would be just a statistical outlier, and not to mention a freak of nature. Was that score ever verified, because I read that thread as well and most of the people in there had never even heard of a score even close to that one. I believe 850 was like 4 standard deviations away from the average.

Anyways, I'm sure LECOM does a sufficient job at training their students, but that person was going to score 850 no matter what. It's just too far of an outlier.

If it's done professionally like JP said.... and it won't be.

Cliche popcorn comment count: 2

*gets some popcorn to continue counting* DOH!

Cliche popcorn comment count: 3

No, not threads like "this one." There are plenty of threds with valuable information, presented in a thoughtful way, that can help you make a careful decision. Simply the manner in which this one was presented indicates malice on the part of the OP, not clear, ratinal thinking. It means he or she is pissed off for some reason and wants to find someone to blame. The easy target is the school. Few people are willing to blame themselves these days when they do something really stupid or simply don't get there way. A whole lot of people get pissed off, for instance, when they don't get there first choice for every rotation. LECOM actually has 3 times as many slots as it can fill, but not everyone wants to fill them all. Some people become very angry about that. It's natural, but blasting the school is in very poor taste. There are better ways to express your anger.

As for loss of confidence...why? The OP may have a lack of confidence in his or her ability to do well; however, LECOM also had a student make an 850 on COMLEX. How is that possible if the school doesn't give you the background to help you through it? In the end you are responsible for your own medical education. If you stay focused, you will do well in school. If you slack off, you will fail. However, they keep a fairly close watch on you because they want you to pass. They want you to do well. They make you meet with your advisor if you are doing poorly and work on a plan to help you through it. People who are failing are given a chance to remediate; they aren't simply thrown to the side and tossed out like yesterday's garbage.

I have seen the score with my very own eyes and I can assure you LECOM had ZERO to do with that score. Just like they had zero do with my COMLEX or USMLE scores. LECOM is a means to end, nothing more. If you get an acceptance somewhere else go there. Otherwise, go, keep your mouth shut, nose in the books and kill step I (including USMLE) because that is what is going to get your interview invites come residency time.

If it's done professionally like JP said.... and it won't be.

Cliche popcorn comment count: 2

*gets some popcorn to continue counting* DOH!

Cliche popcorn comment count: 3

let me supply the beer with that popcorn!

As far as the OP is concerned, med school is clearly a demanding atmosphere. And one needs to be prepared to jump into that sort of an environment and make sure they're fully responsible for their education. Blaming the school doesn't help. With that said, I have heard from several students who are at LECOM that they're not satisfied with the way academia is handled at their school. But then these are personal opinions of people, and its up to others on how much weight personal opinions make on your decision. After all, I can bash my undergrad as much as I want for my low GPA, but at the end of the day, Penn's always a great school and I should have just tried harder. Same thing.

Before you just burn the bridge for everyone else, you better have some good reasons for doing so. I mean, provide us with some pertinent information, otherwise you are a cop out - medical school is hard .

What about the administration?
What are some of the classes like?
What is the faculty to student ratio?
Do the faculty invite you to their house for a party (ie Thanksgiving) ?
Do the faculty give students their home phone number?
How is Gross Anatomy comming along?
What is the cadaver to student ratio like?
How's Biochemistry, Histology, Physiology, Path, etc?
How's the school's health clinics? What do patients think of it?
How's the OPP department doing?
How's the USMLE and COMLEX comming along?
How are your 3rd and 4th year rotations comming along?
Are the clerkship rotations structured?
What is the condition of the library? Is there adequate study place?
How's the gym/fitness center?

Are these slots mostly at teaching hospitals (i.e. with a resident, attending, intern, etc), or are they just preceptor based?

At this stage of the game, I'm not looking into specializing in something supercompetitive, but I would like to be able to do IM rotations at a major teaching hospital. Is that realistically possible at LECOM?

I'm pretty sure you could do an IM rotatation at like Pittsburgh University if you wanted to. I don't go to school in PA and Pittsburg IM's PD still came to present her residency program to us. Keep in mind some of these are only ACGME only residency, and not a dually accredit one with the AOA.

I agree. Also, we all have different things that we find tolerable, so it's always good to hear specifics about how schools treat their students and how the classes work. The op is not a new poster, and he appears to actually go to LECOM. Why not let him speak his peace?

More tomorrow

Good advice!

let me supply the beer with that popcorn!

I'll never understand how anybody can eat and drink alcohol together! bleech!

Regarding LECOM: What's that saying about smoke and fires?

I do hope the marble statues make another appearance!

Things like dress code, no eating in classrooms, and some rather strong personalities in the administration make LECOM an easy target for criticism. At the end of the day, though, LECOM's match list is comparable to other DO schools. If the curriculum is failing students so badly, the numbers don't appear to show it.

The OP doesn't mention what pathway he/she is in. If it's PBL or ISP, blaming the school for gaps in learning is especially misguided since it is made extremely clear from day one that a high level of personal responsibility is required to succeed with these self-directed curriculums. In PBL, we are told all the time that if something we feel is important is not identified as a learning issue, we should go read that section on our own. It's not like it's a big mystery what we need to know for the boards - there's about a million review books that will give you a pretty good idea, if you take the time to open them.

More tomorrow

Waiting for more. LECOM is on my list of potential schools, so the more info the better.

I applied to 5 schools this cycle. Interviewed at both LECOM-Erie and NYCOM. I feel that LECOM-Erie will leave me with alot less debt, allow me to live on my own that will allow me to get alot done in terms of studying and I know that it is up to the individual to get the residency they want. If you work hard, do well on the boards, get face time during rotations with PD's of whatever residency your interested you should be fine.

Also, only apply to school that you know you'll be happy at or else you may end up like the OP.

I'm pretty sure you could do an IM rotatation at like Pittsburgh University if you wanted to. I don't go to school in PA and Pittsburg IM's PD still came to present her residency program to us. Keep in mind some of these are only ACGME only residency, and not a dually accredited one with the AOA.

What does PD stand for?

Very funny. :rolleyes: Serious answers anyone?

program director. myleghurts is doped up on morphine for that pain. dont mind him.

If I was on morphine than why would my leg hurt?

Things like dress code, no eating in classrooms, and some rather strong personalities in the administration make LECOM an easy target for criticism. At the end of the day, though, LECOM's match list is comparable to other DO schools. If the curriculum is failing students so badly, the numbers don't appear to show it.

Are they really thaaat conservative at LECOM?

Let's say I was a student there and decided to bring in stuffed animals to place on my desk...would I be allowed to do something that? Let's say it's a stuffed cat or tiger.

I have heard that at Lake Erie there are 4 cadavers for 250 students? Is this wrong? How's Anatomy comming along?

Are they really thaaat conservative at LECOM?

Let's say I was a student there and decided to bring in stuffed animals to place on my desk...would I be allowed to do something that? Let's say it's a stuffed cat or tiger.

I have heard that at Lake Erie there are 4 cadavers for 250 students? Is this wrong? How's Anatomy comming along?

At my interview a few days ago they said about 4-5 students per cadaver.

get the message, nobody wants you here.

Please do not be so hateful. The DO community should be open and accepting of all people. Please do not be so quick to judge.

As Orson Welles once said, "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch."

After visiting this school and experiencing their environment I wanted only one thing, get on my plane and run as fast as I can from there. The whole school seems as a set up...well, it is just my opinion.

Haha, I got the same feeling. I actually almost thought of leaving during the lunch break, but I thought it would be very rude to do that. I ended up getting accepted and last week sent them a withdrawal letter.
I honestly have had a great experience in every school except for LECOM. I got a bad vibe from the school.
I am glad I don't have to go there. :laugh:

Haha, I got the same feeling. I actually almost thought of leaving during the lunch break, but I thought it would be very rude to do that. I ended up getting accepted and last week sent them a withdrawal letter.
I honestly have had a great experience in every school except for LECOM. I got a bad vibe from the school.
I am glad I don't have to go there. :laugh:

I wish I knew how to play the tuba.

Please do not be so hateful. The DO community should be open and accepting of all people. Please do not be so quick to judge.

As Orson Welles once said, "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch."

what the hell??

At my interview a few days ago they said about 4-5 students per cadaver.

Actually, I heard that LECOM requires you to buy your own labtop and cadaver. I always wondered where you one would buy their own personal cadaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.