Quantcast

LECOM-E MMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TabbyDaf

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi guys! So I noticed LECOM Erie Doesn’t have its own thread. So anyone accepted- We should get to know each other some. And also for others that are still trying to apply- we should be helpful to them as well! Anywho, just got my acceptance today and I’m SUPER thrilled. Where the rest at?!

Reactions: 1 users

Bacon & Lettuce

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo! Thanks for starting the thread and congrats on your acceptance! I got accepted back in early March. Cant wait to get started and meet some peeps! Low key hoping that we'd be able to start school in person instead of online haha

DrWoof

Reaction score
I’m an (almost) former MMS student, we have finals Monday/Tuesday :soexcited: and am matriculating LDP-Erie this Fall. I always got a ton of help from prev students through these SDN posts so I want to return the favor. If you have any questions about Erie, LECOM, MMS, etc. please feel free to ask!

Reactions: 4 users

Dogta Goat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an (almost) former MMS student, we have finals Monday/Tuesday :soexcited: and am matriculating LDP-Erie this Fall. I always got a ton of help from prev students through these SDN posts so I want to return the favor. If you have any questions about Erie, LECOM, MMS, etc. please feel free to ask!
Same here, see you in LDP! but yea, feel free to message us/comment about any question you may have about this program, we'd be more than happy to help! :)

Reactions: 3 users

mangomekrazy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks @TabbyDaf for making this thread! I was accepted around late March. Can't wait to get started in August!

Reactions: 1 user

TabbyDaf

Reaction score
Same here, see you in LDP! but yea, feel free to message us/comment about any question you may have about this program, we'd be more than happy to help! :)

So how are the classes set? I hear mixed reviews. Some saying impossible to do well and extremely difficult. While others say opposite. Also - have either of you guys studied for MCAT during this program or just had your MCAT score before it?

Dogta Goat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how are the classes set? I hear mixed reviews. Some saying impossible to do well and extremely difficult. While others say opposite. Also - have either of you guys studied for MCAT during this program or just had your MCAT score before it?
Classes are Monday-Friday from 2 PM (sometimes 1 PM)-6PM but usually get out earlier. There aren't "blocks" of subjects, rather the classes are somewhat random I would say. This is by no means an easy program, it's not a masters level program, it is at a medical school level; you will have clinical correlations and the like how you would in medical school. This program sets up a great foundation for medical school but like all things in life, you get out what you put in. What messed up a decent amount of students the first semester was the 1 credit courses such as histology. Histo is a really tough class but people tend to put that on the back burner because they thought since it was a 1 credit it wasn't as important but a few people I know failed it and lost their chance at getting a seat. This is not to scare anyone but to do your due diligence and make sure you cover everything. It will teach you a lot of time management and change up your studying habits because you cannot study like how most undergraduates would (including myself) by pulling all-nighters the night before. I recommend anki to use for long term memorization and making sure you study every single day to do well.

Dogta Goat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, I didn't study for the MCAT during it, I applied with my AIS and was able to get in that way but I have had friends that studied for the MCAT while doing this program. The classes do help with the MCAT studying as well, you have about 3ish weeks after the final in the fall semester as winter break and you can study then for the January MCAT date which I know a few students who have done that.

Members don't see this ad :)

TabbyDaf

Reaction score
Also, I didn't study for the MCAT during it, I applied with my AIS and was able to get in that way but I have had friends that studied for the MCAT while doing this program. The classes do help with the MCAT studying as well, you have about 3ish weeks after the final in the fall semester as winter break and you can study then for the January MCAT date which I know a few students who have done that.

Sounds good! Idk if I should be taking the Mcat or not. and for the AIS they used for you - did they use your Masters grades and SAT/ACT or what combination of you don’t mind me asking. I just want to know so I can see my options. Thank you bud!

iaaj33

Reaction score
Thanks for making the thread! I was just accepted last week. I'm a little intimidated as I only managed my undergraduate and graduate education with lots of time and relatively inefficient study habits. As someone who memorizes by writing I'm kinda worried about if it's feasible for me to continue studying like that given the quantity of material they're gonna throw at me both in MMS and medical school if I hopefully make it. Would any past MMS students who used to learn (or still learn) like that have any insight?

Dogta Goat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds good! Idk if I should be taking the Mcat or not. and for the AIS they used for you - did they use your Masters grades and SAT/ACT or what combination of you don’t mind me asking. I just want to know so I can see my options. Thank you bud!
I believe that they use mainly your undergrad GPA with SAT or ACT or SAT/ACT combined. If I remember correctly, they said they could incorporate the first semester MMS GPA into the AIS but at that point, you already have so many credits from undergrad it wouldn't really affect it much, don't quote me, the best bet would be to ask Jaime.

Dogta Goat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for making the thread! I was just accepted last week. I'm a little intimidated as I only managed my undergraduate and graduate education with lots of time and relatively inefficient study habits. As someone who memorizes by writing I'm kinda worried about if it's feasible for me to continue studying like that given the quantity of material they're gonna throw at me both in MMS and medical school if I hopefully make it. Would any past MMS students who used to learn (or still learn) like that have any insight?
Everyone has their own studying habits/methods but the thing is there will be a lot of information being given every single day, so it is imperative you are efficient with your time. If you are able to write fast and go through the lecture after class is over and understand the material you should be good. The thing about this program and how medical school will be is that the questions are not 1st order questions; they won't ask you just facts about the material that they taught but it will be 2nd or 3rd order questions. They want to see how you are able to learn and understand the information and how you can make connections with the symptoms or information that is provided in the question stem. An example would be like "A patient comes into the clinic with symptoms of epigastric pain after eating carbohydrate-heavy food. History reveals that they are on medication for depression. What is causing their symptoms?" For this, you would have to know what the drug would be, what its effect it is on the body, and what adverse reactions it could have. You are given multiple choice answers and have to pick the one that is the BEST answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

L.margarita

Reaction score
Thanks for making the thread! I was accepted back in January and am super excited to be able to meet everyone! I'm currently in the process of looking for an apartment and was wondering if anyone has started as well, since this pandemic is making it really difficult to go apartment hunting.

raha20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for making the thread! I was accepted back in January and am super excited to be able to meet everyone! I'm currently in the process of looking for an apartment and was wondering if anyone has started as well, since this pandemic is making it really difficult to go apartment hunting.
I’ve been looking for places on Zillow and Craigslist. I’m just afraid to sign anything yet on the chance that things become online. Plus idk when a good time to move would be

D

deleted492904

Hi guys,

did they change the GPA requirement for the interview to 3.3 or is it still 3.2 (lake erie campus)? I can't find this info anywhere else.

Also, can I get some help from those accepted on my personal statement for the masters program? I have no clue where to attack it from at the moment.

Thanks!

pughm619

Reaction score
Hi guys,

did they change the GPA requirement for the interview to 3.3 or is it still 3.2 (lake erie campus)? I can't find this info anywhere else.

Also, can I get some help from those accepted on my personal statement for the masters program? I have no clue where to attack it from at the moment.

Thanks!
According to the letter I received in the mail, " A 3.3 grade point average or higher in the MMS program with no failures in any individual courses" is required to be eligible for interviewing for Med program.

L.margarita

Reaction score
So I just got the email from Jamie that classes will be held online for this year. I'm pretty nervous about that, since I don't really study well online. What do you guys think?

mangomekrazy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got the email from Jamie that classes will be held online for this year. I'm pretty nervous about that, since I don't really study well online. What do you guys think?

I definitely prefer in person instruction so I know where you’re coming from, but to be honest I’m okay with this. That’ll be a lot of money saved lol.

The good thing is that the program has been online since March so by now I’d imagine all hiccups have been figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

raha20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this mean a lot of people will be staying home instead of moving to Erie? I’m kinda stressed about this decision because I live in a full house with my parents and siblings and I just don’t see myself being able to buckle down at home so I think I’m considering moving. Anyone else with advice/opinions?

iaaj33

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same situation and really unsure of what I'm going to do so I feel your pain. I might have to move in with a friend for the duration of the program

lshakhray

Reaction score
Hi there! Does anyone have any advice on the video submission for the MMS program? Just got my video invite yesterday but I've never done anything like it. Should I treat it like a formal med school interview? Any advice is appreciated!

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Could you tell us a bit more about how online workload is handled? Our program will be held entirely online. Just wondering how the set up is, login times, required zoom meetings, exams, etc? Thanks in advance

raha20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! Does anyone have any advice on the video submission for the MMS program? Just got my video invite yesterday but I've never done anything like it. Should I treat it like a formal med school interview? Any advice is appreciated!
I personally treated it as such. I dressed formal and video taped each question individually then put the clips together. My answers were specific to me and my journey tbh I didn’t prep too much I kinda just kept refilming the video till I didn’t hate it lol and I got my acceptance a week later in the mail good luck I think my video was just under 3 mins

DrWoof

Reaction score
Could you tell us a bit more about how online workload is handled? Our program will be held entirely online. Just wondering how the set up is, login times, required zoom meetings, exams, etc? Thanks in advance

So did you have the exact verbiage from Jamie - did he say online in entirety or hybrid? JW.

So we've been online since end of Feb./Beginning of March and there were a lot of hiccups initially. I'm sure this will get ironed out over summer esp. because they were really thrown into the online platform with COVID.

Set Up/Course Content - All professors use powerpoint which will be posted on the portal for you to download. I highly recommend Notability if you have an iPad. Every professor is different with their approach. The medical school records lectures (video and audio) for students to watch playback. So at the beginning of the quarantine MMS/MS1/MS2 were using archived video lectures (same prof., content, ppt. just previously recorded) and we were given links to view them. Remember, MMS is almost exactly the same as first semester MS1. Class was kind of asynchronous at this point. We have exams every other Monday so essentially you just had to get all your video lectures watched by exam time (no daily login requirements). A few professors that didn't have an archived video lecture would record themselves (audio) to a powerpoint and we could listen and view the powerpoint slides. Clinical Integration is the last course of the semester, and by this point they really had things figured out. Clinical Integration is a PBL course and completely novel to MMS so there was no prerecorded lecture. We met on Zoom 2-3x a week for about an hour to go over our case and were given assignments to turn in (tables, student question submissions, etc.) - the course ran absolutely no differently than in the Fall. Just login, mute your mic, turn off your camera and listen/take notes. Dr. Carty (facilitator of Clin. Int.) asks questions and you type in the chat box your answers. For the end of the year we had Zoom reviews for almost of the spring courses.

Exams - Exams are on Examplify every other Monday at 1pm (with the rare exception). We download the exam usually Friday night to our laptops. Monday at around 12:55p we get our "code sheet" and honor code. The code sheet has the login password for the exam. Take your exam. It automatically uploads and times you - it's a secure platform. Email in your honor code after you finish. Exams get ~70secs per question, multiple choice, randomized. All courses taken in the 2 week period are on the same exam. You get a separate grade for each course. This is the exact same way we took exams in the Fall - you're just doing it at home.

Quizzes - Very occasionally there's quizzes (usually for Clin Int.) and it functions the same way as exams. Clin Int. has the occasional worksheet as well.

We have discussion boards on the portal that you can submit any questions you have to our profs. They're also receptive to email or you could schedule a Zoom with them if you need further help. I'm thinking that they will transition more to Zoom as they get things figured out (classes are scheduled 2p-6p) which is nice because you can just ask your question in live time. They were really thrown into things with COVID, but they handled it well.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions/clarifications.

Reactions: 3 users

dental_life17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So did you have the exact verbiage from Jamie - did he say online in entirety or hybrid? JW.

So we've been online since end of Feb./Beginning of March and there were a lot of hiccups initially. I'm sure this will get ironed out over summer esp. because they were really thrown into the online platform with COVID.

Set Up/Course Content - All professors use powerpoint which will be posted on the portal for you to download. I highly recommend Notability if you have an iPad. Every professor is different with their approach. The medical school records lectures (video and audio) for students to watch playback. So at the beginning of the quarantine MMS/MS1/MS2 were using archived video lectures (same prof., content, ppt. just previously recorded) and we were given links to view them. Remember, MMS is almost exactly the same as first semester MS1. Class was kind of asynchronous at this point. We have exams every other Monday so essentially you just had to get all your video lectures watched by exam time (no daily login requirements). A few professors that didn't have an archived video lecture would record themselves (audio) to a powerpoint and we could listen and view the powerpoint slides. Clinical Integration is the last course of the semester, and by this point they really had things figured out. Clinical Integration is a PBL course and completely novel to MMS so there was no prerecorded lecture. We met on Zoom 2-3x a week for about an hour to go over our case and were given assignments to turn in (tables, student question submissions, etc.) - the course ran absolutely no differently than in the Fall. Just login, mute your mic, turn off your camera and listen/take notes. Dr. Carty (facilitator of Clin. Int.) asks questions and you type in the chat box your answers. For the end of the year we had Zoom reviews for almost of the spring courses.

Exams - Exams are on Examplify every other Monday at 1pm (with the rare exception). We download the exam usually Friday night to our laptops. Monday at around 12:55p we get our "code sheet" and honor code. The code sheet has the login password for the exam. Take your exam. It automatically uploads and times you - it's a secure platform. Email in your honor code after you finish. Exams get ~70secs per question, multiple choice, randomized. All courses taken in the 2 week period are on the same exam. You get a separate grade for each course. This is the exact same way we took exams in the Fall - you're just doing it at home.

Quizzes - Very occasionally there's quizzes (usually for Clin Int.) and it functions the same way as exams. Clin Int. has the occasional worksheet as well.

We have discussion boards on the portal that you can submit any questions you have to our profs. They're also receptive to email or you could schedule a Zoom with them if you need further help. I'm thinking that they will transition more to Zoom as they get things figured out (classes are scheduled 2p-6p) which is nice because you can just ask your question in live time. They were really thrown into things with COVID, but they handled it well.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions/clarifications.

Thank you so much for such detailed info. Could you tell me how hard the exams are? How hard is it to maintain required GPA 3.3? Do they proctor you during exams via zoom? Can you study for MCAT/DAt during the course of the program? If you were to compare taking exams online vs. in-class, any difference? How about when it comes to learning the material: in-class vs. online?
Thank you!

Last edited:

DrWoof

Reaction score
Thank you so much for such detailed info. Could you tell me how hard the exams are? How hard is it to maintain required GPA 3.3? Do they proctor you during exams via zoom? Can you study for MCAT/DAt during the course of the program? If you were to compare taking exams online vs. in-class, any difference? How about when it comes to learning the material: in-class vs. online?
Thank you!

Exam Difficulty - I mean they're hard, but not impossible! You have to study every day (4-6 hours a day) and more on the weekends. If you make a good study schedule and find out what works for you, then you should be fine! But this is definitely not a program to blow off and study just on the weekends.

Required GPA - We needed a 3.2 and I know a good portion of the class was able to meet this goal. I finished with over a 3.2. Again, it all comes down to figuring out what studying technique works for you. It's a lot of trial and error but once you figure it out, you're set.

No proctoring via Zoom. Examplify has an AI proctor, we didn't use it this year, but I know other programs at LECOM use it so they'll probably start incorporating it.

Yes, I know a lot of people that study for MCAT/DAT during the program. The program is really good review! Usually people just do the coursework for school (because it is such good prep) and then study like hell over Christmas break anything they need brushed up on that we didn't touch.

Exams are the same between in-class and online. I noticed absolutely no change. (Except a quieter testing environment and I could have water!)

Learning material - I knew what worked for me when we did the transition so I didn't really notice much change. Some students who are super auditory or have trouble getting motivated struggled a bit. I really think, and hope, that they'll be getting all the bugs worked out. The hardest part for me was that it was kind of asynchronous so I just had to get everything done by the exam, which I didn't like. Then when we started using Zoom we had a timetable and things due on certain days - which was so much better! If you had Zoom lectures then it's almost exactly the same as what you would experience in class. I think the only downside is you're missing out on a real opportunity to make some awesome friends. We sat alphabetically (assigned seats) in class and my seatmates became my best friends.

basophilic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does this program work? Is there any conditional acceptance? Does it boost your chances for MD schools in anyway?

anonymouskoala28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I studied by making self-tests in undergrad and by constantly retaking and rewriting the answers to memorize the information. I carried this over into my study methods into the MMS but didn’t use this as my only study method. I used quizlet mostly, self-tests like undergrad for maybe 1/3 of subjects, some literal flash cards for some and made jumbo charts for some things. If I really couldn’t get something I knew would be on the exam I would rewrite it repeatedly so this didn’t go away from my undergrad habits. I will say I did extremely well in the program GPA-wise so don’t worry too much but you’ll definitely need to tweak your study habits.

RB1325

Reaction score
Can any grads talk about the chances of getting into the DO program after MMS? If you check all the boxes (gpa, no failed courses, and have a decent interview) are you practically guaranteed admission? I know some other SMPs have a much lower matriculation rate into the med school. Thanks for your help!

anonymouskoala28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any grads talk about the chances of getting into the DO program after MMS? If you check all the boxes (gpa, no failed courses, and have a decent interview) are you practically guaranteed admission? I know some other SMPs have a much lower matriculation rate into the med school. Thanks for your help!
Yep that’s basically it lol. The higher your GPA the faster you get admission. I got admission back in February where some students with borderline GPAs still haven’t received theirs but will if that makes sense.

shortkumquat

Reaction score
Yep that’s basically it lol. The higher your GPA the faster you get admission. I got admission back in February where some students with borderline GPAs still haven’t received theirs but will if that makes sense.
how does the matriculation process work? do the faculty reach out to you as they track your progress? do they track your progress?

shortkumquat

Reaction score
How long was the turn around time after you submitted your application to receive an acceptance decision? I am thinking of submitting my application early June.

lshakhray

Reaction score
How long was the turn around time after you submitted your application to receive an acceptance decision? I am thinking of submitting my application early June.

I submitted my application in March, got my invitation for video response on May 18th, submitted that May 20th. Literally just got my acceptance letter today!

DrWoof

Reaction score
How does this program work? Is there any conditional acceptance? Does it boost your chances for MD schools in anyway?

As long as you complete all the courses, don't fail any classes, and have a decent interview - you're all set for acceptance. All students who complete all Fall courses (without failing a course) receive an interview in the Spring. So basically a decent interview and get the GPA!

We had 2 students (that I know of) that will be matriculating to an MD school this year after finishing MMS

DrWoof

Reaction score
how does the matriculation process work? do the faculty reach out to you as they track your progress? do they track your progress?

Our administrative assistant tracks everyones grades - everyone that makes it through Fall without failing/needing to remediate a course is given an interview for Spring. You are given a faculty advisor as well! Usually they'll email you a few times to check in throughout the year, and they'll reach out if you're doing poorly to offer suggestions.

This year - the higher your GPA in fall, the faster you will receive an admission. Because they are changing the GPA from 3.2 to 3.3 admissions might not go out until the conclusion of the program. It changes every year! A few years ago the GPA was a 3.0 and they did conditionals, the following year it moved to 3.2 and no letters went out until the conclusion, this past year we did conditionals, now next year it's changing to 3.3. So don't panic if letters don't come out right away!

Bottom line - go hard in Fall to secure chances of an early letter in Spring. It takes a lot of pressure off!

DrWoof

Reaction score
Has anyone completed Erie's MMS on a dental track?

I knew of a couple people that did on the dental track - usually the minority of students. One of my best friends was dental though! She ended up doing super well but decided to go into pharmacy at LECOM-E instead!

DrWoof

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for places on Zillow and Craigslist. I’m just afraid to sign anything yet on the chance that things become online. Plus idk when a good time to move would be

I know a lot of people move into Laurel Springs/Laurel Ridge - the prices are good, but because of this there is a LONG waitlist. So if you're considering it, give em a call and get a spot on the list! I personally lived in both of these places, still currently live in Ridge. Owned by the same company (Riedman Apartments) is The Hammocks. Super nice apartments! A bit more expensive - but it's because there's more amenities. I know a lot of students live here as well!

Check out apartments.com and if you have any questions and are still considering moving to Erie given the online format, let me know!

DrWoof

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I used my AACOMAS personal statement for the Masters program as well! I think all they really wanted was to know you were intrinsically motivated and why they should take a chance on you.

basophilic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As long as you complete all the courses, don't fail any classes, and have a decent interview - you're all set for acceptance. All students who complete all Fall courses (without failing a course) receive an interview in the Spring. So basically a decent interview and get the GPA!

We had 2 students (that I know of) that will be matriculating to an MD school this year after finishing MMS

Hi, thanks for the input! So that means there's a conditional acceptance I'm guessing to LECOM? Does the program have any linkage with MD schools?

anonymouskoala28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the input! So that means there's a conditional acceptance I'm guessing to LECOM? Does the program have any linkage with MD schools?
Yes! There’s is conditional acceptances that are given out over the spring semester. This program is ONLY linked with LECOM. No other schools.

premedhopefulwifey

Reaction score
Yes! There’s is conditional acceptances that are given out over the spring semester. This program is ONLY linked with LECOM. No other schools.

Does the "linkage" only work for the specific campus you attend or is it a linkage to any campus?

In other words, if I attend the LECOM Erie campus for MMS, but want to go to LECOM Brandenton later for DO schools, will that be a challenge?

Last edited:

anonymouskoala28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the "linkage" only work for the specific campus you attend or is it a linkage to any campus?

In other words, if I attend the LECOM Erie campus for MMS, but want to go to LECOM Brandenton later for DO schools, will that be a challenge?
Bradenton operates as its own separate entity basically. If you make some sort of important crazy argument they will make an occasional exception and consider you for that campus. However, Erie operates as Erie, Seton Hill and Elmira. So you can rank those campuses from the masters and have a good chance of getting those. Bradenton has its own separate masters.

premedhopefulwifey

Reaction score
Bradenton operates as its own separate entity basically. If you make some sort of important crazy argument they will make an occasional exception and consider you for that campus. However, Erie operates as Erie, Seton Hill and Elmira. So you can rank those campuses from the masters and have a good chance of getting those. Bradenton has its own separate masters.

That's really helpful. So it sounds like doing a Post Bacc at Erie LECOM for the Brandenton campus might be the equivalent of doing the post bacc at a non-LECOM entity, for the purposes of admissions to LECOM Brandenton admissions.

Does anyone know the first day of LECOM Erie? I know it's the fall, but does anyone know what date? Also, is anyone planning on staying home indefinitely for the program instead of moving near campus? Thank you!

Terriblytired

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Former MMS student, pm me if you need

llester

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's really helpful. So it sounds like doing a Post Bacc at Erie LECOM for the Brandenton campus might be the equivalent of doing the post bacc at a non-LECOM entity, for the purposes of admissions to LECOM Brandenton admissions.

Does anyone know the first day of LECOM Erie? I know it's the fall, but does anyone know what date? Also, is anyone planning on staying home indefinitely for the program instead of moving near campus? Thank you!

Our 1st day, for the Erie MMS, is 8/10/20.

I’m in Utah and will be staying here since they have expressed there is no chance of returning to on-campus later during the year (because it would be too hard for students to worry about moving between semesters).