LECOM-E MMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our 1st day, for the Erie MMS, is 8/10/20.

I’m in Utah and will be staying here since they have expressed there is no chance of returning to on-campus later during the year (because it would be too hard for students to worry about moving between semesters).

Hello, thank you so much! Do you know the last day of the program? Is it feasible to matriculate to med school for fall 2021? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, thank you so much! Do you know the last day of the program? Is it feasible to matriculate to med school for fall 2021? Thank you!

I don’t know the last day but we should finish mid May.

Yes, MMS students in the upcoming 2020-21 program start interviewing in January, 2021, to potentially matriculate into the DO class starting fall, 2021.

Hello Everyone

I hope I am not bothering, but I am currently applying to this program as well. I recently got the email about the online interview and the video I need to send with the 3 questions they have provided that I need to answer. I am a bit worried about this. I was wondering if you can help me in understanding what you did for the interview. I am not asking for the answer but an idea of how you answered questions, the technicality, and the topic. I hope you can help.

I really want to be apart of this program. It seems very interesting and want to make myself better.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone

I hope I am not bothering, but I am currently applying to this program as well. I recently got the email about the online interview and the video I need to send with the 3 questions they have provided that I need to answer. I am a bit worried about this. I was wondering if you can help me in understanding what you did for the interview. I am not asking for the answer but an idea of how you answered questions, the technicality, and the topic. I hope you can help.

I really want to be apart of this program. It seems very interesting and want to make myself better.

Thanks
Hi,

I kept re-recording myself until I got it right. I answered 3 questions. I did prepare for them, but did not memorize the answers. I wanted to mimic as if they are asking these questions in person. My entire video was about 2:30 min long. I dressed up, took my time, and tried not to rush through the answers. I submitted my video in the morning, and my status was changed that night from "additional info needed to "decision has been made; you will be notified in writing within 30 days". I received acceptance letters a week later. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hi! Does anyone have a phone number or email I can use to contact someone regarding letter or recommendations? I'm only able to get one science professor to write me one and wanted to ask them if this is okay

Hi,

I kept re-recording myself until I got it right. I answered 3 questions. I did prepare for them, but did not memorize the answers. I wanted to mimic as if they are asking these questions in person. My entire video was about 2:30 min long. I dressed up, took my time, and tried not to rush through the answers. I submitted my video in the morning, and my status was changed that night from "additional info needed to "decision has been made; you will be notified in writing within 30 days". I received acceptance letters a week later. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hey dental_life17

Thanks for the response. It does help boost a little confidence. I received my interview request yesterday and will be sending it in the next couple of days.

Hi! Does anyone have a phone number or email I can use to contact someone regarding letter or recommendations? I'm only able to get one science professor to write me one and wanted to ask them if this is okay

Jamie (Mr.) Murphy - Assistant Director of Student Affairs

814-866-8117

[email protected]

I have a 2.87 undergrad gpa and got a 290 on the gre.... if i use my Academic index score it says i "dont qualify".... did anyone get in with similar statistics? or apply without a dat/gre/mcat score whose academic index score according to the website wasn't good enough but still got in? I just submitted my application - super nervous

Hey so for those who got accepted (congrats btw) did you all get a video invite for the MMS program? Because I hadn’t but I did receive the “you’ll receive a letter in 30 days” notification still waiting on my letter

Hey so for those who got accepted (congrats btw) did you all get a video invite for the MMS program? Because I hadn’t but I did receive the “you’ll receive a letter in 30 days” notification still waiting on my letter
If you mean did we get an invitation for a video interview then yes I did. And I believe others who were accepted got video interviews as well.

So Eerie has been declared 100% online for this school year? How do y'all think that will affect networking with professors and advisors?

I have a 2.87 undergrad gpa and got a 290 on the gre.... if i use my Academic index score it says i "dont qualify".... did anyone get in with similar statistics? or apply without a dat/gre/mcat score whose academic index score according to the website wasn't good enough but still got in? I just submitted my application - super nervous

You could definitely apply to the program and be accepted with those stats. However, to be accepted into the medical school for the following year you would need either a qualifying AIS score or a qualifying MCAT score. There's no exceptions to this rule as it has to do with their licensing and accreditation.

You could definitely apply to the program and be accepted with those stats. However, to be accepted into the medical school for the following year you would need either a qualifying AIS score or a qualifying MCAT score. There's no exceptions to this rule as it has to do with their licensing and accreditation.
I just submitted my application two days ago and it already says " The admissions committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" Does this mean I was denied?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my application on June 2. Got the video interview invite June 9 the day after I submitted the grade entry. Submitted my video interview last night. I checked the portal today and it says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." I hope its good news :unsure:

Submitted my application on June 2. Got the video interview invite June 9 the day after I submitted the grade entry. Submitted my video interview last night. I checked the portal today and it says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." I hope its good news :unsure:
what were your stats like?

what were your stats like?
uhhhh according to the grade entry on their portal, my cumulative GPA is 3.326 and my science GPA is 3.465. My MCAT score was a 493 (i know, its terrible) but I also put in one of my SAT scores, too. I hope this helps!

So Eerie has been declared 100% online for this school year? How do y'all think that will affect networking with professors and advisors?
Yup 100%. From what some past students have said, either during the call or in the forums, is that networking won't be as organic as it would be if classes were in person (this is a given though). They did say, however, that instructors are great about making time out for students outside of lectures even via video calls. It sounds like if you are proactive enough to reach out to instructors, creating relationships will not be an issue.

Anyone else submit their application sometime last week? I submitted it on 6/10, and my application hasn't been processed yet. From previous comments it didn't seem like it took that long for people to see it online. I emailed and called jaime but didn't get a reply, so was just wondering if there was a delay or something

Anyone else submit their application sometime last week? I submitted it on 6/10, and my application hasn't been processed yet. From previous comments it didn't seem like it took that long for people to see it online. I emailed and called jaime but didn't get a reply, so was just wondering if there was a delay or something
I did and it was processed the next day after I filled out my grades in their system. The status said a decision was reached like 2 days after as well, I dont think i got in haha

Reactions: 1 user
I just submitted my application yesterday after finding out about the program, does anyone know if they are still spots available? Also I'm taking my MCAT this weekend and I'm finishing up ochem 2 and physics 2 during the summer. Can some one give me more guidance on the application process and who to contact about questions?

I just submitted my application yesterday after finding out about the program, does anyone know if they are still spots available? Also I'm taking my MCAT this weekend and I'm finishing up ochem 2 and physics 2 during the summer. Can some one give me more guidance on the application process and who to contact about questions?

There are still spots available. I just submitted my application this week (before July 1). You would contact Jamie Murphy for any questions. I know you posted this two weeks ago, but I hope you were able to get the answers you were looking for.

Hey there! When does applications open for Fall 2021? Sorry I'm a bit ignorant... Also does anyone know that if you do LECOM-B MMS, are you stuck matriculating there or can you go to Erie? (Also if anyone knows what kind of stats you need for conditional acceptance please let us know thanks! (From the previous class)).

Hey, I just got the interview notification. How specific do we have to be in the video?

Hey, I just got the interview notification. How specific do we have to be in the video?
I don't think it really matters, as specific as you can go in one minute per question. I had to make my answers less specific than I wanted because of the time limits per question.

Hi,

I know there's a facebook group going on for the program. As someone that doesn't use facebook, would anyone be interested if I create a discord channel for us? Helps to find study partners and answer each other's questions. Please let me know if anyone's interested, thank you!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone done the video recording virtual interview? How did that go? What type of questions do they ask? Any tips/advice? Thanks!

Hi,

I know there's a facebook group going on for the program. As someone that doesn't use facebook, would anyone be interested if I create a discord channel for us? Helps to find study partners and answer each other's questions. Please let me know if anyone's interested, thank you!

I was literally thinking of making this exact post earlier today. Really appreciate the initiative and would be happy to join a discord server for us. Thanks!

I did not know at all that the personal statement prompt was different than the other campus. How long were your personal statements?
Also any tips on writing a personal statement for this prompt: Write a personal statement describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful students in the Master of Medical Science Program.

I’m encountering an issue on the MMS application portal about the SAT. I know what my overall score was but took it like 7 years ago and have no record/recollection of the exact date or score breakdowns, which is asked and required. I never took the ACT so I was able to say no to that. My mcat is above 500 and I was just hoping to use that. Any advice on what to do about this?

I’m encountering an issue on the MMS application portal about the SAT. I know what my overall score was but took it like 7 years ago and have no record/recollection of the exact date or score breakdowns, which is asked and required. I never took the ACT so I was able to say no to that. My mcat is above 500 and I was just hoping to use that. Any advice on what to do about this?
You don't have to submit a SAT or ACT. Your MCAT is fine

You don't have to submit a SAT or ACT. Your MCAT is fine
How should I go about the SAT question though? It asks if I’ve ever taken the exam and is a required field, so if I just say no that would not be truthful.

How should I go about the SAT question though? It asks if I’ve ever taken the exam and is a required field, so if I just say no that would not be truthful.
Ah gotcha okay idk about that - email Jamie Murphy, he's quick in replying back.

Just wondering but is the post bacc friendly for career changers with no pre reqs or do they require the science courses already completed?

Just wondering but is the post bacc friendly for career changers with no pre reqs or do they require the science courses already completed?
Current MMS student here (the post bacc program has not been offered for 2 years now).

The MMS program itself does not require prereqs for admission, but it will not end up fulfilling all of the most common prereqs required by medical schools.

You can find information on application requirements here: Master of Medical Science Application Procedures - LECOM

Otherwise I highly recommend the program as preparation for medical school.

The MMS program for the year 2021-2022 at the Erie location is expected to be entirely "Online" or "Hybrid".
Can current students of 2020-2021 MMS program at Erie please comment on how efficient your online classes has been so far and if the linkage with their DO program is still a go?
Thank you!

The MMS program for the year 2021-2022 at the Erie location is expected to be entirely "Online" or "Hybrid".
Can current students of 2020-2021 MMS program at Erie please comment on how efficient your online classes has been so far and if the linkage with their DO program is still a go?
Thank you!
Current student (graduating May, 2021).

We have been 100% online this year. Originally, this was disappointing for many in my class, including myself. However, it's been a real blessing being able to stay home, with family (I'm out of state), therefor providing more opportunity to stay healthy.

In my opinion, classes have been held pretty efficiently. I don't know that we really lose out on much by holding our lectures via Zoom.

Faculty are supportive and go out of their way to ensure understanding.

The only curricular drawback is not being able to be in labs for microbiology but they still held these virtually with pictures.

The "linkage" is just as it has been--obtaining the GPA benchmark guarantees an interview.

Thank you!
Previous MMS student. We were online the last 1/3 of the year last year. Originally frustrating, unorganized and insane but has come to be very efficient and LECOM has adapted pretty nicely. I’m a current MS1 now so the linkage is very much there. You still get the same information online the only thing is you, yourself have to be motivated to not go screw off during class time and pay attention. Attendance is mandatory so by this I mean, don’t have the Tv on and ignore lecture or watch videos on your phone, etc. It can be hard to be in class mode while you’re home but you have to force yourself to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently WL at LECOM-SH.

Submitted today for MMS as backup. Terrible UG stats but average MCAT, HCE, and graduate GPA.

See what happens!

Hello current students of MMS at Erie,
I have few questions running in my mind and am looking for direction. I am interested in MMS program at Erie for upcoming fall. So here are the questions:
- How difficult did you guys find to maintain the required GPA to be eligible for an interview at LECOM considering it was completely online?
- When do LECOM erie schedule interviews for its MMS students? Have interviews started for current MMS students? Acceptances to their DO program yet?
Thanks!

Hello current students of MMS at Erie,
I have few questions running in my mind and am looking for direction. I am interested in MMS program at Erie for upcoming fall. So here are the questions:
- How difficult did you guys find to maintain the required GPA to be eligible for an interview at LECOM considering it was completely online?
- When do LECOM erie schedule interviews for its MMS students? Have interviews started for current MMS students? Acceptances to their DO program yet?
Thanks!
I would say what you put in is what you will get out. If you cram the weekend before an exam it won't end well, but if you quickly review lectures each night and heavier on the weekends the 3.3 GPA is very manageable. I always found it helpful when others gave personal examples so do with this what you want: I reviewed each lecture that same night by condensing the powerpoint into 2-3 pages of notes (most lectures first semester were 90-100+ slides). Over the first weekend I would set up parts of my study guide based on the learning objectives (took maybe 1-2 hours total). The weekend before the exam I studied close to 5-7 hours per day. This study schedule helped me get a 3.84, but everyone studies different. Online format has positives and negatives. Positives - professors are extremely helpful and responsive, fairly seamless besides the occasional internet connection issue, you don't lose time commuting to campus, constant supply of food + comfort of your own home. Negatives - huge decrease in student interaction and can be difficult to focus in lecture.

Interviews (at least to my knowledge) occurred in 2 batches toward the end of January so we should all be done with interviews but do not quote me on that one. And again as far as I know the first acceptances will come out in late February or March. They send the acceptances via mail so it takes slightly longer.

I know this is a lot (I can ramble) sorry! Hope this helps, goodluck!

Reactions: 2 users
That's good info. Thanks. Did any one start getting acceptance offers in current MMS batch yet? Is it usually Late Feb or March when they start sending letters? Any insights from previous MMS batch students?

Previous MMS student. We were online the last 1/3 of the year last year. Originally frustrating, unorganized and insane but has come to be very efficient and LECOM has adapted pretty nicely. I’m a current MS1 now so the linkage is very much there. You still get the same information online the only thing is you, yourself have to be motivated to not go screw off during class time and pay attention. Attendance is mandatory so by this I mean, don’t have the Tv on and ignore lecture or watch videos on your phone, etc. It can be hard to be in class mode while you’re home but you have to force yourself to do it.
Thanks for your insight as previous MMS student. Appreciate it. What is the timeline of acceptance letters they send out? Do they usually do it starting in Feb or March or April?

Thanks for your insight as previous MMS student. Appreciate it. What is the timeline of acceptance letters they send out? Do they usually do it starting in Feb or March or April?
Our year it was dependent on GPA. So the very few 3.8-4.0 got letters like 2 weeks maybe after interviews. My letter was dated on feb 3rd if I remember correctly. I’d say by the end of the month everyone 3.6 and above almost (unless you chose PBL or DSP because those are so competitive sometimes it takes longer to get a seat) had their letters of acceptance. Then after that below 3.6 to like 3.4ish had letters by end of April. below that (our cut-off was 3.2) that made the cut off got letters anywhere from may-2nd week of school.

Reactions: 1 users
Our year it was dependent on GPA. So the very few 3.8-4.0 got letters like 2 weeks maybe after interviews. My letter was dated on feb 3rd if I remember correctly. I’d say by the end of the month everyone 3.6 and above almost (unless you chose PBL or DSP because those are so competitive sometimes it takes longer to get a seat) had their letters of acceptance. Then after that below 3.6 to like 3.4ish had letters by end of April. below that (our cut-off was 3.2) that made the cut off got letters anywhere from may-2nd week of school.
Thanks for the info! To follow up, what is the possibility you get put down on waitlist even with 3.8+ GPA and you are then offered a seat for the next year (GAP year)? Have you seen any cases like that in your class?

Thanks for your insights asa0009. Appreciate it. To follow up, do they send out letters of acceptance based on Fall semester GPA, if one meets other criteria like MCAT score? Or do they add partial GPA of Spring semester and look at cumulative GPA?

Thanks for the info! To follow up, what is the possibility you get put down on waitlist even with 3.8+ GPA and you are then offered a seat for the next year (GAP year)? Have you seen any cases like that in your class?
That has never happened that I’m aware of. If you have a 3.8, unless you have something wrong like a felony or drug charge or something or are a trouble maker in class you’ll get accepted relatively quickly. They did one year hold all acceptances till the end of the year to see who met all GPA requirements all together. But 3.8 is a star student in their eyes no reason not to be accepted