LECOM-E vs NYITCOM-JB vs ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harlo112211

Reaction score
LECOM-Erie
Pros
  • Closest to home, a few hour drive to family, which is very important to me.
  • Very low tuition cost (~33k). I might be able to get away without having to take out any loans.
  • Chose the DSP pathway which essentially means learning independently and do not have to be in class or on campus for the majority of the time
  • More established school, match list over the last few years has had students that matched at pretty good residency programs and also some competitive specialties
  • Possibility of doing clinical rotations near/in my home town.
  • Location is in a city that is relatively similar to where I grew up.
  • Decent opportunities for research

Cons
  • I've heard some VERY negative things from students here regarding administration (i.e. not being supportive, not taking into consideration student concerns)
  • Clinical rotations are not that "stable" and can frequently change and are not guaranteed.
  • Exams are reportedly misconstrued and graded harshly.
  • I did not get a friendly vibe when I interviewed and was not very impressed. Admin/professors seemed very strict and students did not seem very happy.
  • Building seemed very "sterile" and glum.

NYITCOM-JB
Pros
  • Lectures are shared with NY campus and both campuses are ranked together (pro in my opinion because seen as one, and NYITCOM is a pretty well-known, established school)
  • Lectures are all recorded and non-mandatory attendance
  • Students seemed happy and faculty and administration were very friendly
  • School building was pretty nice and is located on Arkansas state campus so you can use their resources as well.
  • Pretty decent opportunities for research from what I have heard.

Cons
  • Although NY campus has pretty good rotations and match list, the JB campus has not graduated a class yet. 3rd and 4th year rotations are reportedly all kept pretty local, but I am not sure much about them.
  • Pretty high tuition cost (~55k)
  • Longer drive from home (~8 hrs), not too crazy about the location.

ACOM
Pros
  • Absolutely loved my interview day here. The campus is so beautiful and everyone was so incredibly nice and friendly.
  • Administration and faculty seem to really care about their students and want them to succeed.
  • The medical school is really ingrained in the town and there is hospital down the street whose CEO is the president of the school and vice is the dean of the school.
  • Clinical rotations seem to be very established despite being a new school, located throughout Alabama and the panhandle of Florida. Students seem to get a lot of guidance during clinical rotations.
  • Students seemed really happy here.
  • There seemed like a good amount of opportunities for students to engage in national conferences and even international events.
  • Last two match lists looked pretty good, despite being a new school. There were students that matched at great programs and also in competitive residencies.
Cons
  • Furthest school from home and family - would require a plane ride or 13 hr drive.
  • Relatively new school, may not have some of the "connections" as the others may have.
  • Expensive tuition (~50k)
  • Semi-mandatory attendance (have to attend 60% of lectures) not too much of a con for me.

Summary: Ultimately, I think it would come down to LECOM vs ACOM. I would love to be closer to home and not be in debt after medical school. I don't know if I would be happy, but think I could definitely manage/survive. At ACOM, I am fairly confident that I would be happy and they would provide me with a very good education, but I've never been so far from home and the tuition is a bit off-putting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have similar sentiments about LECOM-E and I felt the same way on the interview day. So I wouldn't down play this completely because if you are miserable at the school, it could affect your studies. However, considering you would be close to (or completely) having a debt free medical education is a big plus, and near your family that of which you mentioned is a big factor. I would definitely try to reach out to more students at LECOM-E and see if you dive into the picture of what's going on there a little deeper.

As for ACOM, it is a school that has indeed established itself and it wouldn't be a bad choice at all. I personally would not consider NYITCOM-JB over ACOM as well. Also, congratulations on all three acceptances!

@harlo112211

LECOM-Erie
Pros
  • Closest to home, a few hour drive to family, which is very important to me.
  • Very low tuition cost (~33k). I might be able to get away without having to take out any loans.
  • Chose the DSP pathway which essentially means learning independently and do not have to be in class or on campus for the majority of the time
  • More established school, match list over the last few years has had students that matched at pretty good residency programs and also some competitive specialties
  • Possibility of doing clinical rotations near/in my home town.
  • Location is in a city that is relatively similar to where I grew up.

Cons
  • I've heard some VERY negative things from students here regarding administration (i.e. not being supportive, not taking into consideration student concerns)
  • Clinical rotations are not that "stable" and can frequently change and are not guaranteed.
  • Exams are reportedly misconstrued and graded harshly.
  • I did not get a friendly vibe when I interviewed and was not very impressed. Admin/professors seemed very strict and students did not seem very happy.
  • Building seemed very "sterile" and glum.

NYITCOM-JB
Pros
  • Lectures are shared with NY campus and both campuses are ranked together (pro in my opinion because seen as one, and NYITCOM is a pretty well-known, established school)
  • Lectures are all recorded and non-mandatory attendance
  • Students seemed happy and faculty and administration were very friendly
  • School building was pretty nice and is located on Arkansas state campus so you can use their resources as well.
  • Pretty decent opportunities for research from what I have heard.

Cons
  • Although NY campus has pretty good rotations and match list, the JB campus has not graduated a class yet. 3rd and 4th year rotations are reportedly all kept pretty local, but I am not sure much about them.
  • Pretty high tuition cost (~55k)
  • Longer drive from home (~8 hrs), not too crazy about the location.

ACOM
Pros
  • Absolutely loved my interview day here. The campus is so beautiful and everyone was so incredibly nice and friendly.
  • Administration and faculty seem to really care about their students and want them to succeed.
  • The medical school is really ingrained in the town and there is hospital down the street whose CEO is the president of the school and vice is the dean of the school.
  • Clinical rotations seem to be very established despite being a new school, located throughout Alabama and the panhandle of Florida. Students seem to get a lot of guidance during clinical rotations.
  • Students seemed really happy here.
  • There seemed like a good amount of opportunities for students to engage in national conferences and even international events.
  • Last two match lists looked pretty good, despite being a new school. There were students that matched at great programs and also in competitive residencies.
Cons
  • Furthest school from home and family - would require a plane ride or 13 hr drive.
  • Relatively new school, may not have some of the "connections" as the others may have.
  • Expensive tuition (~50k)
  • Semi-mandatory attendance (have to attend 60% of lectures) not too much of a con for me.

Summary: Ultimately, I think it would come down to LECOM vs ACOM. I would love to be closer to home and not be in debt after medical school. I don't know if I would be happy, but think I could definitely manage/survive. At ACOM, I am fairly confident that I would be happy and they would provide me with a very good education, but I've never been so far from home and the tuition is a bit off-putting.

So what did you decide. I am interviewing at LECOM erie soon and I have been accepted to ACOM