LECOM Erie Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
titusracerx said:
My wife and I just got a townhouse with Joe Palermo Rentals at (814) 833 9565. They were awesome with helping us get a great townhouse that we will be moving into on May 28th. The owner met with us personally with only about 2 hours notice and had us all signed up with a deposit within an hour. The complex is called Brookwood Village on Bear Creek Road. I timed my commute at about 15 minutes to the school, but then again most everything there is just about the same. They have a website at www.joepalermo.com, and have all kinds of different options for students no matter what the price range. The good news is that these guys know, and favor LECOM students.

I got a place in Brookwood village too! Its on Kates Way. Maybe we can commute together? I'm in LDP by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

wertyjoe said:
I got a place in Brookwood village too! Its on Kates Way. Maybe we can commute together? I'm in LDP by the way.

Sounds good! We will look forward to meeting you at the end of this month!
p.s. Who do you use for cable and phone there? We have been looking for prices on line for these and have not been able to determine what kind of costs to expect. I'm in LDP as well!!!!

i was also curious about who you guys are using for cable/phone/internet. i haven't really researched it that much but what i'm thinking of doing is just getting a basic phone line (i use my cell phone as my primary line almost) and then getting a cable/internet package. but then there's DSL so i dont know exactly how much is what.

Members don't see this ad :)
mrm1682 said:
i was also curious about who you guys are using for cable/phone/internet. i haven't really researched it that much but what i'm thinking of doing is just getting a basic phone line (i use my cell phone as my primary line almost) and then getting a cable/internet package. but then there's DSL so i dont know exactly how much is what.
I have been using Adelphia for my cable/internet for almost a year. Adelphia services the Erie suburbs (Millcreek Twp.) while Time Warner is the primary servicer for residents within the city limits.

Sorry Jerald I won't be in the area until July 5th....

gwynnetn said:
:) Now that I have your attention. I will be starting this fall at the erie campus. I have bought a house near the school but have ran into a problem. It appears my wife might, MIGHT be called to duty before we get moved into the house. IF that is the case I might need some help from a few class mates If possible to help move my three children and myself into our new house. Only really need help with the heavy lifting, I can handle all the boxes and such. We will be moving up there Saturday May 28th if any one can possiblly help. Email me if you might be free that weekend, I will provide a pizza lunch and all the drinks you need.

hey future Erie LECOMers. if you are going to be around about a week before school starts, the class of 2008 will be having a number of "get togethers" before we venture into whatever it is we are doing.......( at 3 a.m., coming back from tim horton's for a test at 8 a.m. and you can't sleep, and it has been like this for the last week +, i am not sure many of us know what we are doing any more, thats neuro!)
anyways, let me know and i can add you to a list and email you, letting you know where things will be going on besides LECOM sanctioned events.
dylan 2008 ([email protected])

jerseygirl said:
I'm looking for some similar inside info on the PBL track.. To all my PBL people, what's your typical weekly schedule like? I know we're going to take anatomy, histo, OMM, and a few other classes along with the LDP people... but aside from that, are there particular/assigned days of the week that you come into school to meet with your group and work on cases, or is it more flexible (dependent on the group's preferences)?

This year PBL started meeting a few weeks after school started, only about once a week whenever we could fit in a 2 hour meeting. After the first 12 weeks of anatomy, histo, and embryo, PBL groups met 3 times a week for 2 hours each meeting. Meeting times are decided by the group members and facilitators, so it is pretty flexible most of the time. The PBL schedule is pretty open, with the exception of OMM on Wednesdays and a few other classes that only last a few weeks in the fall and spring. There may be a day or two during the week when you'll have nothing on your schedule, but it is expected that you're studying at that time and not taking a 3 day weekend...

...also be sure to email dylan about the non-LECOM sanctioned events.

Hope that helps,

Adam
PBL Class of 2008

Thanks for the inside word on the PBL track, Adam -- that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for...

I plan to make the move to Erie at some point in early July, so
I will definitely be getting myself on that social events email list --

"non-LECOM sanctioned events" sounds like a good time to me :)
hope my other fellow 2009-ers come out to play too before class starts!

-Kat :D

Hey Future LECOM'ers---

I am a finishing 2nd year right now, and am offering you my apartment, as I am moving to Pittsburgh for third and fourth year rotations. To be honest with you, if I was staying in Erie there is NO WAY I would give this place up!

Here are the details...

For the past year I have lived in a duplex on Chestnut Street and 26th and love it, but I am leaving for rotations and my landlord would like to rent my place to another LECOM student.

It is a 2 bedroom place, w/ one full bath, living room w/a gas fireplace and a dining room, both of which are hardwood floors. There is a washer and dryer in the basement to do your laundry and a back porch for storage. You also have your own backyard and an off street parking spot. The areas is nice, quiet and safe and only about 5-10 min from school, 5 minutes from Erie, and 2 minutes from St. Vincent's Hospital. The best thing about it is the rent is only $475, which is cheaper than most 2 bedroom apartments. If interested please email me ([email protected]) and I can then give you my landlords number so you can come check it out.

Also, no pets.

Good luck with your first two years...they fly by!

sounds great jersey girl....I'm definitely up for a little play time ;)

jerseygirl said:
Thanks for the inside word on the PBL track, Adam -- that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for...

I plan to make the move to Erie at some point in early July, so
I will definitely be getting myself on that social events email list --

"non-LECOM sanctioned events" sounds like a good time to me :)
hope my other fellow 2009-ers come out to play too before class starts!

-Kat :D

i'm a current 1st year looking for someone to share a 2 bedroom townhome for next year. rent is 292 a month, and its about 3 blocks from school. if you're interested email me at [email protected].

adrian

Does anyone (current student or incoming student) have thoughts about what type of laptop they are going to buy.

I was thinking about a mac due to the fact that I hear of less virus/spyware problems, however I remember reading some literature from LECOM stating that a program or two may not be able to be run by such a computer.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

I was looking into a mac for a period of time but at this time I'm leaning towards a sony laptop.

haezebro said:
Does anyone (current student or incoming student) have thoughts about what type of laptop they are going to buy.

I was thinking about a mac due to the fact that I hear of less virus/spyware problems, however I remember reading some literature from LECOM stating that a program or two may not be able to be run by such a computer.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
DrChris23 said:
I was looking into a mac for a period of time but at this time I'm leaning towards a sony laptop.
I got a toshiba

i never really liked macs mostly because i didn't want to spend the time learning how to use a "different" computer. probably laziness on my part but hey, i'm happy with my PC. i'm still debating whether or not to replace my 3 year old laptop now or sometime during the school year.

haezebro said:

Thanks

I have an Alienware mobile desktop. Its kind of like a laptop on steroids (17in screen, built in camera, surround sound speakers, full size keyboard, and lighted alien eyes).
Its the best computer I have ever had and perfect for those boring lectures. :rolleyes:

Hey everyone-- I'm currently an MS-2 ISP student at LECOM erie-- I'm selling a bunch of my MS1 books, and furniture for anyone interested... Private message me if you're interested, or if you have any general questions! Congrats on getting in!
-Neeja

Can the incoming first year students consolidate their loans before July?

wertyjoe said:
I have an Alienware mobile desktop. Its kind of like a laptop on steroids (17in screen, built in camera, surround sound speakers, full size keyboard, and lighted alien eyes).
Its the best computer I have ever had and perfect for those boring lectures. :rolleyes:

What a monster! :D

I have an HP Pavilion dv1040us, nice hi-def screeen. It'd be nice to find dvds to match hi-def quality. :thumbup:

allendo said:
Can the incoming first year students consolidate their loans before July?
You can consolidate your undergraduate loans, as long as you are in grace, deferment, or repayment. The loans you will be receiving for medical school will not be considered, though, since they are not disbursed until august. Hope this helps.

[QUOTE:]Does anyone (current student or incoming student) have thoughts about what type of laptop they are going to buy.

I'm a current MS I and my suggestion is to avoid Toshiba. I had one in undergrad that was fantastic, but a lot of people in our class have been having major problems w/ toshiba. I have a dell inspiron myself and absolutely love it. Other popular machines around class are eMachine, Sony, and HP. Happy shopping!

I dont mean to change the subject but did everyone else get a letter about health insurance. It seemed kind of strange that we have to go with the schools recommended insurance plan unless we go under our parents or spouse.

I read somewhere that students were having a hard time with the schools insurance plan (no docs wanted to use it). Is this the same plan or is it a new and improved plan?

wertyjoe said:
I dont mean to change the subject but did everyone else get a letter about health insurance. It seemed kind of strange that we have to go with the schools recommended insurance plan unless we go under our parents or spouse.

I read somewhere that students were having a hard time with the schools insurance plan (no docs wanted to use it). Is this the same plan or is it a new and improved plan?

And the rates are crazy!!! I can get a job working 4 hours a week with my present employer in that town and only pay 100 a month for FAMILY coverage that is accepted by a LOT of places. Thank God my wife will have coverage offered throught what ever company she will work for up there.

DrChris23 said:

I got a Dell inspiron 6000 for a pretty good deal. So far I haven't had any problems with it. I decided on 1GB of DDR Ram with a celeron M 1.5 Ghz processor, cdrw/dvd drive. Only down side is the weight....

gwynnetn said:
And the rates are crazy!!! I can get a job working 4 hours a week with my present employer in that town and only pay 100 a month for FAMILY coverage that is accepted by a LOT of places. Thank God my wife will have coverage offered throught what ever company she will work for up there.
Speaking of wives, my wife is looking for a position in hospital administration. Does anybody have any inside contacts that they could help us with? We have been getting very few responses due to our distance from Erie. If you have any suggestions or help please PM me or email me direct at [email protected]

i don't have much of a choice with health insurance since i am neither married nor am i eligible for coverage under my parents anymore.

about the computers....i really don't like dells. my undergrad school had dells in all the computer labs and they never ran well at (froze, ran slow, etc). my sister got a dell laptop too (after i told her not to) and always has problems with it. on the other hand, i personally LOVE gateway. i have had 2 gateway desktops and a laptop (my current pc) and i have never had a problem with them.

Attention all LECOM students that will be in Erie for the coming year...
i have 2 bedrooms in my large house that i am renting out.
the bedrooms are small, but the house is large and you only have to share it with me and I am hardly ever there (and i do have one very annoying cat that i will be glad to kill if necessary) only 2 miles from school (takes less than 8 minutes in the AM), not far from downtown.
Pets welcome. washer and dryer in house
off-street parking
full access to all of my school books so you don't have to buy a lot of them
$450/mo for each room takes care of everything except cable/internet... if you want those you gotta pay for em yourself.
if anyone is interested or if two people wanted to live in the same house together or whatever, give me a call:
(814) 455-5272 -leave a message if i don't answer- sometimes i am like that. Nicole
ps-
[If two people want to get in on this together and take the two rooms right away, i might be able to work a better deal (like $400 ea./mo), so find a friend.

- don't message me about this, i posted for a friend - call the # above

titusracerx said:
Speaking of wives, my wife is looking for a position in hospital administration. Does anybody have any inside contacts that they could help us with? We have been getting very few responses due to our distance from Erie. If you have any suggestions or help please PM me or email me direct at [email protected]

I say the odds of your wife finding a "professional" job in Erie is slim to none and slim left town. I have been here 2 years and my wife who has her Master's in Public Health still hasn't found a job. She works at a tanning salon for work. Good luck and be prepared for your wife to lower her standards on the working in Erie. There isn't much in this town.

One big employer in Erie is General Electric Transportation a leader in diesel locomotives, where I have been working for the past 3 yrs. Since it is a manufacturing facility, it has a high amount of engineering positions amongst many others. And no, I am not going to LECOM ast they rejected me :( oh yeah guys, don't forget to check out Presque isle!

I'm a PBL MS2 at LECOM-Erie, and have several books for sale. If you're interested, email me at [email protected] or private message me here and I'll send you a list. If you have decided to be in PBL or ISP, these books are a must. Thanks! :laugh:
-Michelle

gnid45 said:
I'm a PBL MS2 at LECOM-Erie, and have several books for sale. If you're interested, email me at [email protected] or private message me here and I'll send you a list. If you have decided to be in PBL or ISP, these books are a must. Thanks! :laugh:
-Michelle
Rumor has it that you might have to repeat the 2nd year. You don't want to hold on to those books?

smgilles said:
I say the odds of your wife finding a "professional" job in Erie is slim to none and slim left town. I have been here 2 years and my wife who has her Master's in Public Health still hasn't found a job. She works at a tanning salon for work. Good luck and be prepared for your wife to lower her standards on the working in Erie. There isn't much in this town.

We have finally made it to erie after 1400 plus miles!! My wife is probably going to take a position with HealthSouth... Has anyone heard anything about them? Pluses or otherwise, please feel free to be honest!

titusracerx said:
We have finally made it to erie after 1400 plus miles!! My wife is probably going to take a position with ***********... Has anyone heard anything about them? Pluses or otherwise, please feel free to be honest!

good luck to you

Last edited:
titusracerx said:
We have finally made it to erie after 1400 plus miles!! My wife is probably going to take a position with HealthSouth... Has anyone heard anything about them? Pluses or otherwise, please feel free to be honest!

I used to work there....hmmm what is her position there? I could fill ya in about some stuff if she has questions..... :)

That sounds kinda ominous :) The real kicker is trying to get these HR departments to call ya back.

hey titus welcome to the area. My wife and children just finished moving into our home off of La Rae drive. Maybe we can get some more of the class of 2009 together this month. My cell number is (423) 488-5031 until I decide to switch to a local number. Hope to hear from more of our class mates

Gerald

gwynnetn said:
hey titus welcome to the area. My wife and children just finished moving into our home off of La Rae drive. Maybe we can get some more of the class of 2009 together this month. My cell number is (423) 488-5031 until I decide to switch to a local number. Hope to hear from more of our class mates

Gerald

Thanks Gerald!

That sounds great! My wife and I would enjoy getting together with everyone over some good food and good company. We have found several good places to eat recently, but would love to try something new too!

talk to you soon,
Dave

Just some thought to share.

Wife and I found a house on Stanton rd. Just being built, brand new, will be done in early July. 3 Bdrm, 1 bath, full basement. It about 15 minutes from LECOM straight out 38, which runs behind LECOM and parellel to W. Grandview.

I think if we had a roomate I would committ. It would come out to be 225 each plus utilities each.

We could even use the 3rd bedroom from anyone looking for temp houseing.

If you want to start a conversation, email or PM me at [email protected]
jim

Hey everyone...I was just wondering if anyone in the LECOM Class of 2009 is coming from the Cleveland area or elsewhere in Ohio.

JDog13 said:
Hey everyone...I was just wondering if anyone in the LECOM Class of 2009 is coming from the Cleveland area or elsewhere in Ohio.

I was born in Piqua. Lived in Sidney, and went to OSU in columbus. Go Bucks. OH---IO.

I was wondering if there are any class of 2009 cyclists out there. I know of several already. Perhaps we can setup some group rides before classes start and during the beginning of the year. I should be healed from my last ride by then.

JDog13 said:

Hello everybody, I am from Toledo, Ohio and i'll be starting in fall at LECOM. I am so excited and can't wait to start. :)

Is there an OD within this group. I heard through my houseing search that there was an OD going to lecom.

I would like to talk to this OD. I have a similar background.

private message me or email me at [email protected]

jim

is anyone going to being living in laurel ridge? just checking to see if i'll have any LECOM neighbors.....

ohiopremed said:
Hello everybody, I am from Toledo, Ohio and i'll be starting in fall at LECOM. I am so excited and can't wait to start. :)

Did you go to UT? I will be Joining lecom from BGSU.

Hi - our family moved to the Erie area into a house that already has appliances, and also has a lot less room than our old house. Consequently, we have several appliances (2 fridges, 2 stove/ovens, over-the-stove microwave oven, washer and dryer) that were only used for about 6 months available for sale, as well as a few bits of furniture in fair condition. Please private message us if you'd like to hear more about them or arrange to see them.
Dan ( :laugh: LECOM 2009) and Erba (waitlisted :scared: for LECOM 2009)

Did anyone check out our assignment that came with the latest information packet about orientation? 43 pages of pure fun! woo hoo, can't wait for med school!

yeah i know. i was like...why??? can't we have a little break before the torture begins?