LECOM-Erie class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here in Erie with my two kids now. We moved in last weekend. If anyone wants to have a 2011 get-together for those of us in Erie early, let me know!

I'm down for that. I'll be up there in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm here in Erie with my two kids now. We moved in last weekend. If anyone wants to have a 2011 get-together for those of us in Erie early, let me know!

Count me in also! My apartment is too small, though.

Maybe if there's a nice day we could all go out to Presque Isle to the beach or something! There's one spot on the island with a great beach and a little restaurant.

That way the kids can have fun too :)

Oh, I'd love to get together! I don't think I'll be in Erie in time, though... sad day. Hope y'all have great fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be up there around mid July. If everyone wants to do a SDN get together before classes that would be awesome!

Dear Class of 2011,
I Am now one of you! I'm so excited! Now I jsut have to sell a house, buy a house and move in 6 weeks! I look forward to seeing you all there!!

Hi Class of 2011!

I had a quick question - maybe some existing students can offer some advice on this one too.

Anyone look into cable and internet services yet? What kind of deals are you finding and from where? I will be living in Lakeview and they said I have to have things transferred to my name soon so just trying to get an idea of what's offered out there!

Thanks in advance :D

Hey guys! I'm attending LECOM Medical in the fall and I am looking for a female roommate. I just put down a deposit on a 2/2 in the Yacht Club apartments which are very close to campus and rent is 565/person plus utilities. The apartment is 1551 square feet and comes with appliances, a garage, and granite countertops! It's a really cute area and is gated! E-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.
(You can check them out online at www.yachtclubatheritageharbour.com)

I was up in Erie this past week and a half. We closed on our house, did a bunch of renovations and I got all the paperwork/ID card stuff taken care of. We'll be officially moving June 29th and would be interested in a little bbq or something!

Hey guys! I'm attending LECOM Medical in the fall and I am looking for a female roommate. I just put down a deposit on a 2/2 in the Yacht Club apartments which are very close to campus and rent is 565/person plus utilities. The apartment is 1551 square feet and comes with appliances, a garage, and granite countertops! It's a really cute area and is gated! E-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.
(You can check them out online at www.yachtclubatheritageharbour.com)

You're posting in the wrong thread. That apartment is in Bradenton, and this list is for Erie. Bradenton has a separate thread. Looks like a luxurious place, though.

Any current students or anyone from Erie know what cellular service providers are good in Erie and on campus?

Hi Class of 2011!

I had a quick question - maybe some existing students can offer some advice on this one too.

Anyone look into cable and internet services yet? What kind of deals are you finding and from where? I will be living in Lakeview and they said I have to have things transferred to my name soon so just trying to get an idea of what's offered out there!

I think Time Warner is your only cable option. I have their digital cable, internet, and DVR box for $105/ month...intro rates are probably a bit cheaper. DVR is a must must must!!! It's only an extra $5/month, and just think how much time you'll save for studying by fast forwarding through all those commercials! Also, I think they offer unlimited local and long distance cable phone for $40/month.

Hi Class of 2011!

Time-Warner is the only cable. DirecTV doesnt offer local channels but Dish Network does. Verizon DSL is only 15 bucks a month and I've always been happy with the speed. I also get my phone through Verizon and its about 42 a month for local/long distance/caller ID/etc. When you call Time Warner there is always a one hour wait but they have this thing where they will call you back instead of making you sit on hold. I really hate cable, I'm so bummed DirecTV doesnt have local channels up there.

The guy at Mill Glen made it sound like Time-Warner cable is the only option. But would I be able to get DSL? I don't want to pay for cable internet, and I'm not going to get a TV anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
That DVR does sound really tempting.... But anyway I just got my lab work done last week and it shows im negative for the hep B and Rubeola IgG's. Even though I've already been immunized before! arg. So I got a bunch of shots last week and I called lecom today, I guess im gonna get another titer check in 6-8 weeks (July 20th) and hopefully it resolves itself but if i am still negative I have to get the hep B and rubeola whole series again. Is anyone else having problems with their immune systems??!!

That DVR does sound really tempting.... But anyway I just got my lab work done last week and it shows im negative for the hep B and Rubeola IgG's. Even though I've already been immunized before! arg. So I got a bunch of shots last week and I called lecom today, I guess im gonna get another titer check in 6-8 weeks (July 20th) and hopefully it resolves itself but if i am still negative I have to get the hep B and rubeola whole series again. Is anyone else having problems with their immune systems??!!

Scary! I had a similar issue... I couldn't find a record for my polio vaccine. Scary times.... I hope your new shots are effective. Good luck!

Hey everyone, I just got called and was accepted! I was hoping I could get some advice on housing, or any links?

hey guys.......if anybody is looking for an apartment.......we have 3 people and need a fourth for a four-bedroom house.....its in a really nice house about 1.5 mi away from LECOM and will be 450 a month including all utilities......im me if interested Nickb423

Congratulations!!! Here is a link for the housing guide they gave us in the housing packet, which they will probably send out to you soon. Http://www.rentalguideerie.com. My wife and I are probably staying at landmarksquare apartments. www.landmarksquareapartments.com.

Landmark Square is nice my friend and I are going to be living there. I'm glad some fellow lecomers are around us. Tanglewood apartments are nice also, and it seems like they are in a cute part of town.

My boyfriend, dog, and myself moved into Erie last week! Wed be down for a get together! Right now Im in Cancun, well be back in about a week. Pretty lame Im on SDN in Cancun, right? :smuggrin:

Pain in the butt.

I just found out that my insurance is going to cover me for emergencies only once I move to PA. :mad:

So when the heck is LECOM gonna put a schedule online so that we know the dates of our Thanksgiving and winter breaks? I'll have to schedule doctor appointments in NJ then.

This just ticks me off.

Oh, does LECOM have like a student health center like in undergrad? Or are you on your own?

No student health center, but the faculty can refer you to some docs who do accept LECOM's choice of insurance (or perhaps your own).

Time Warner Cable, National Fuel Oil (and Gas) and Penelac Electric....Good luck.

FYI--
for those moving to Erie, PA and want to know which utilities to call:

National Fuel (gas heat)
Penelac Electric
Time Warner Cable

Any current students or anyone from Erie know what cellular service providers are good in Erie and on campus?

I have Verizon (National) and I've never dropped a call. Sprint and AT&T seem to have patchy service according to my friends with their service.

It's a great feeling! Can't wait for the white coat ceremony. :thumbup:

FYI--

Last year's class 2010 had its White Coat Ceremony in April 2007. The year before had it in February. I don't think that it comes any earlier than that. Maybe they want to make sure you pass first semester?

It's kind of disappointing to have to wait a semester before the white coat ceremony. The newness of being in school is basically over, and I thought the whole point of the event was to welcome you into the medical profession and make you feel like future doctors to be. Oh well, though. I think I'm looking more forward to the presenting of our Littman Cardio III's.:)

Is anyone else worried about the lack of info they have gotten from the school. Other than the original medical forms and the housing info and the FASFA stuff I haven't gotten anything else. I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten anything like calendars or book lists that kind of crucial school stuff???

Is anyone else worried about the lack of info they have gotten from the school. Other than the original medical forms and the housing info and the FASFA stuff I haven’t gotten anything else. I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten anything like calendars or book lists that kind of crucial school stuff???

I haven't heard anything either, I hope we do soon, school starts in a month and a half!

You guys should just relax and enjoy the summer. By the end of the 4+ days of orientation (assuming they don't change it much), you will be dying to start some real classes. They walk you through everything you need to know during that week. Also, don't expect any class schedules until orientation. They make real nice schedules that outline every lecture from August until December, and they stick surprisingly close to it all semester.

Since the bookstore is run by the school, they really don't inflate the prices like you might find at privately owned stores. Their prices were often similar to those on half.com. Also, you should have a couple weeks until you will really need more than your anatomy book, so you can always order books online later.

How busy is orientation? Is it an all-day thing, or what? Just wondering if there'll be time for setting up apartments and sewing some curtains, stuff like that.

Is anyone else worried about the lack of info they have gotten from the school. Other than the original medical forms and the housing info and the FASFA stuff I haven’t gotten anything else. I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten anything like calendars or book lists that kind of crucial school stuff???

If you're LDP, you probably won't want to buy many books anyway. At least, that's what I hear. Most of the schools I know of don't have much of a summer reading list, etc so preparedness shouldn't be an issue. I'm getting a little nervous, too, though.... :confused:

count me in on the nervousness....I feel like a 1st grader who is all anxious on the start of school and the rundown. Not to mention the wonderful supplies!

reading this made me feel tons better thanks

If I remember correctly orientation is pretty much all day...roughly 8-4. You probably won't get any more info in the mail...they'll give you all you need at orientation...so as long as you've done your ID badge/ computer and parking stuff, just know when and where to show up for orientation. Good luck!

I had all the immunizations as a child as well as chicken pox but came back negative for varicella (chicken pox), measles and mumps. I had to get all three again. I have another two weeks before I can check my titers. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I turn positive.

I had all the immunizations as a child as well as chicken pox but came back negative for varicella (chicken pox), measles and mumps. I had to get all three again. I have another two weeks before I can check my titers. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I turn positive.

anyone know what happens if a battery of vaccinations won't be completed before classes start? i also have to redo the mmr, and get the hep b vaccine.

I was at LECOM last week for my computer and ID stuff. I was told we'd be getting a calendar in the mail soon and also that there would be something we'd need to do online before orientation. He said that this was so because the class before us didn't like sitting in orientation all day, so this might speed it up. I think it has something to do with info on security, the library etc. He said that the if we didn't do it before hand, we'd have to do it at orientation after those that have completed it left.

As for the nervousness, I'm also feeling pretty nervous in general, both about not receiving anything from LECOM and also about not having been a full time student in a few years....:)

As for the nervousness, I'm also feeling pretty nervous in general, both about not receiving anything from LECOM and also about not having been a full time student in a few years....:)

I understand the nervousness too. I'm SO PUMPED THOUGH! We just sold our house for a great price and we don't have anywhere to move quite yet.

Anyone else going into the PCSP? I just heard from Tara, the Admin Assist on that and she said there are 19 who are interested and we are all going to be considered. At week 10 we'll know if we're in. It sounds so sweet!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only nervous one! I haven't been this freaked out since I left home to go to college - and that was ten years ago!! :eek:

I was wondering - is everybody taking out the maximum that LECOM is offering in loans? It's so much money...I'm totally freaked out to borrow that much.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only nervous one! I haven't been this freaked out since I left home to go to college - and that was ten years ago!! :eek:

I was wondering - is everybody taking out the maximum that LECOM is offering in loans? It's so much money...I'm totally freaked out to borrow that much.

I am. I already have $75K in student debt. I almost feel obligated to try and specialize.

Yeah, I'm taking the whole amount. so scary! I still owe so much from undergrad, too. :confused:

I'm taking out the max. We'll see how the first year goes, and that'll help with deciding how much to take out the next year. I already have loans from undergrad and graduate school, so what's several thousand dollars more, right? :laugh:

im taking out the full amount as well....I figure i better do one year like this...than maybe take out less.....i already have loans anddd credit card debt...whats another 50k more! :D

Very thankfully, I'm not taking it all. My husband is able to keep his job and east coast salary while in Erie, so that is super helpful because I already have a ton of student loans and credit....

I talked to a fourth year leaving to go and be an OB. He took out max and I asked him about PC, because I want to be FAmily practice. He was encouraging that even though you max out, you will make so much in PC, especially with all the incentives, loan paybacks, programs, etc that it doesn't take specialization to pull off the loan repayment. Realize that even Pediatricians who make 100K starting can still afford to pay Malpractice(less than 20K) and 25K in loans a year back, it takes time, but shouldn't discourage going into PC!

anyone know what happens if a battery of vaccinations won't be completed before classes start? i also have to redo the mmr, and get the hep b vaccine.

I have to get the Hepatitis B immunization, and Amy said just to get as much of it done as possible before classes start. I'm not sure about the MMR, though. Good luck!

I have to get the Hepatitis B immunization, and Amy said just to get as much of it done as possible before classes start. I'm not sure about the MMR, though. Good luck!

I spoke to the doc who checks them over(the immunizations), He said if youtiters are negative and you're working to solve that problem(getting shots, etc), then you're fine, so I don't think you need to get re titered to be able to enter school, though I don't have the final on that yet.

I spoke to the doc who checks them over(the immunizations), He said if youtiters are negative and you're working to solve that problem(getting shots, etc), then you're fine, so I don't think you need to get re titered to be able to enter school, though I don't have the final on that yet.

This is good to hear. What's the doc's name who reviews the immunization forms?

I'm taking out the max. We'll see how the first year goes, and that'll help with deciding how much to take out the next year.

That's what I figured. Better to take out too much than not enough. I'll make a budget for every month and record what I need to spend on what, and then I'll have a better idea for next year.

If I take out more than I need (say $3000 too much) is it better for me to pay that back at the end of the year so it doesn't earn interest, and then take out a loan for next year with about $3000 less?

I have no debt yet, so I'm not sure. I just got the paperwork on the loans in the mail this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.