LECOM Erie Class of 2012 Thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
snk16, I just put down a deposit for a one-bedroom at Laurel Springs so at least we'll be neighbors!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
for those of you who are curious, this is a look at last year's MS1 schedule from the student handbook online. I'm sure some of it will be different, but at least it gives us a glimpse of the holiday schedule and all. I heard from a 4th year that we get our schedules Day 1 of orientation.

2007-2008 ACADEMIC CALENDAR
July 28 – August 3, 2007 Orientation for the Class of 2011
July 30, 2007 Academic Year Begins for First Year Students
August 6, 2007 Academic Year Begins for Second Year Students
September 3 Labor Day – No Classes
November 21 Thanksgiving Break – No Classes
November 26 Classes Resume
December 21 End of First Semester
January 7, 2008 Second Semester Begins
January 21 Martin Luther King Day – No Classes
May 16 Second Semester Ends for Second Year Students
May 23 Second Semester Ends for First Year Students
June 1 Commencement Class of 2008
June 8 LECOM Bradenton Commencement Class of 2008
*For the third and fourth year academic calendar, see the Clinical Clerkship Handbook.

FYI -- the year will fly before your eyes!

What are some decent places to live if I plan on living alone? I am from Texas so I am not used to the driving in snow etc., and I would prefer to be located close to the school.

I am looking forward to meeting you all in a couple months.

BTW, the snow gets plowed pretty well.

Hey everyone! I just got a 2 bedroom apt at laurel springs (right across the street from LECOM) and am looking for a female roommate. Let me know if anyone's interested! thanks :)

Hey snk16, I'd definitely be interested in living there. Email me at [email protected] with some more info about yourself :).

Hi Everyone!
Congrats for getting in! I am really excited to start at the end of july! I am looking for a reasonable 1 bedroom apt near the school. any ideas? i don't want to live in a complex where there are no students. thanks!

Hi Everyone!
Congrats for getting in! I am really excited to start at the end of july! I am looking for a reasonable 1 bedroom apt near the school. any ideas? i don't want to live in a complex where there are no students. thanks!

Laurel Ridge, Laurel Springs, Lakeview, Village on Pacific, Scenery hills are the big ones around LECOM. All within 2 minutes with students.

Congrats everyone! I just got my acceptance letter last week for LECOM's Class of 2012! Its taken a week for it to sink in.

Anyway, thought I would sign up and post a message here. I look forward to meeting all of you in July!

Congrats everyone! I just got my acceptance letter last week for LECOM's Class of 2012! Its taken a week for it to sink in.

Anyway, thought I would sign up and post a message here. I look forward to meeting all of you in July!
Congrats and welcome to the club!

:clap::welcome:

Members don't see this ad :)
Watching all of you greet and congratulate each other is REALLY nostalgic. I remember being there almost exactly a year ago. My last test is tomorrow, then I'm an OMSII, and I start again in two weeks, being PCSP. It goes SOOOO fast. Study hard!!

Congrats to everyone. Remember the journey is the fun part.

CONGRATS ON GETTING IN!!!!

Any current students know when Financial Aid award letter should be arriving?

There are a few things about erie which you may find well, eerie. For example; every third car has a blinker going for no reason, an approaching ambulance with lights and sirens blaring means nothing to other drivers (I got flipped off for safely pulling to the right)

As a 10 year Pittsburgh Paramedic, I can assure you that NO ONE pulls off for an ambulance here either. My personal favorite is when they slam the brakes right in front of us. I'm glad to know that won't change... lol

Hey everyone....I'm planning on living in the Lakeview and I was wondering if anyone else was planning on living there? I want to be in a complex with lots of LECOM students.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I too am in the search for a place to live for the next couple years. Coming from Arizona, its going to be tough for me to look at places prior to arrival in Erie. I looked in the SDN classified section and someone posted a furnished house in a thread there. They listed the website www.geocities.com/rob1175 with pics and such... looks nice.

Any first or second years have any knowledge about this place?

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I too am in the search for a place to live for the next couple years. Coming from Arizona, its going to be tough for me to look at places prior to arrival in Erie. I looked in the SDN classified section and someone posted a furnished house in a thread there. They listed the website www.geocities.com/rob1175 with pics and such... looks nice.

Looks like a nice place, but I wonder how many people you would have to live with. The price is great and fully furnished, that is a pretty good deal.

don't know about that place specifically but i lived right around the corner from it so i know the area. it's not too bad, not the safest but not necessarily all that dangerous...depends on what you're comfortable with. it's about 15 min from school which is kind of a pain if you have to run home and get something. it's very close to downtown and the restaurants/bars so you can walk there if you want to. also very close to gannon (an undergraduate school) so there are a decent amount of students around during the day.

Hey Allnighter! I'm from AZ too. What part are you from?

hey!
im thinking about living in the baldwin apts. there are lots of lecom students there ( i know 2 first years who live there currently). its like 480 a month i think. has anyone heard of them??

So I was looking at last years book list and was wondering if any of you current students noticed the Book list changing all that much from last years? I will be a PBLer and have found almost all of the books from last year at a third of the price. Any words of wisdom as far as book buying goes?

don't know about that place specifically but i lived right around the corner from it so i know the area. it's not too bad, not the safest but not necessarily all that dangerous...depends on what you're comfortable with. it's about 15 min from school which is kind of a pain if you have to run home and get something. it's very close to downtown and the restaurants/bars so you can walk there if you want to. also very close to gannon (an undergraduate school) so there are a decent amount of students around during the day.

Sounds perfect. I am going to give the guy a call this weekend. Thanks for your help!

Sounds perfect. I am going to give the guy a call this weekend. Thanks for your help!

not a problem. i didn't have an issue living in the area and loved being downtown. just depends on your personal preference but i enjoyed it.

So I was looking at last years book list and was wondering if any of you current students noticed the Book list changing all that much from last years? I will be a PBLer and have found almost all of the books from last year at a third of the price. Any words of wisdom as far as book buying goes?

If there is a new edition coming out, you will use the new edition. Lots of our books were different from the 2nd year's books because of this. Also, sometimes they change which book is used. I know last year people didn't like the physio book, so we had a different one.
If you can talk to the book store they should let you know what you need to get. Being in PBL, you will need every required book, but if you can get it cheaper do it.

If there is a new edition coming out, you will use the new edition. Lots of our books were different from the 2nd year's books because of this. Also, sometimes they change which book is used. I know last year people didn't like the physio book, so we had a different one.
If you can talk to the book store they should let you know what you need to get. Being in PBL, you will need every required book, but if you can get it cheaper do it.

Perfect, thanks Frank l.

I just signed on for a 2bdr at Lakeview. The apartment is ready for move in on July 1st. I am looking for a roommate to share the rent. Here is a link to the place: http://www.malenodevelopment.com/lakeview_apartments.html

Rent is $740 +utilities. So I think it would be around 410 each. There is only one space in the garage for us so we can switch each month for the space or we can work something out with the rent.

I am a pretty laid back person from Pittsburgh. I am 23 and I graduated from Case Western as a business major. I try to work hard and play hard. I am not a huge partier but I enjoy chilling out when I can. I enjoy music but i need a quiet environment for studying. I enjoy cooking among other things. I snowboard and cycle so i try to get out as much as i can. Just looking for a roommate who is serious about school and who is easy to live with. So if you think you are a good fit let me know by emailing me at [email protected]

Hi everyone. I just got accepted earlier this month I was on the waitlist but got off it pretty quickly which is pretty awesome. what isn't awesome is that i'm now behind on getting set up for a place to live and i'm not on the roommate list that they mailed to everyone. So I figured I'd put myself into the public eye through this forum. I'm interested in living at Laurel Springs because it's nice and close and I figure I could walk to LECOM if I really felt like it (though I'm amenable and could live anywhere). So if anyone is still looking for a roommate I'm available and you can reach me by email at [email protected]. I recently got a bunch of furniture because some friends of the family were moving away and they gave it to me for free...pretty sweet. Contact me I'm a nice guy :)

slwbe,
how did they inform you that you were off of the waitlist?

I got a letter in the mail earlier this month. it didn't look like anything special it was pretty small really. It just asked for some money and once they got that they sent me the matriculation forms. This was actually my second year applying so I know the pain of the waitlist. Just keep in contact with Amy and make sure she gets to know you and likes you... i think that's what did it for me. :)

accidentally put the above comment twice and couldn't figure out how to delete it so this editted comment now exists

Amy's great. :love: I heard that she frequently reads this forum. I think it was Keithengineer who told me that. I could be wrong. BTW, do any of you guys do Brazilian jiu jitsu? I'm planning on starting a group class next year.

:thumbup:Shout out to buckeye4life, bkpa2med, & Dr. Vitale.:thumbup:

Hi guys,

I'll be starting at LECOM this summer. I have a two bedroom apt in the brand new laurel springs complex right across the street from school, no need for driving. I'm a male, in the lecture based program, easy going from NJ. The rent is 680 a month for the two bedroom so we could split that. If anyone is looking for a place or has any questions shoot me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!

this is so annoying...

Both, my checking and savings accounts are with Chase Bank. I just called Chase to see if they have any branches in Erie, PA. To my surprise it turns out that they have no branches in Pennsylvania at all! I was shocked at that considering that there are chase branches even overseas in europe...

Guess I'll have to switch banks. Can any of the current students please recommend a good bank in terms of location near LECOM and good business hours?

Which bank is the most common in Erie, PA.

I would greatly appreciate it!

another question...
I just got my drivers license and I was looking forward to purchasing a car. But now that I think about it, is it really all that necessary for the 1st 2 years (i know that after 2 year I will have to have a car for sure, but for now... i dont know)? If I end up living 1-5 blocks away from LECOM, I will be OK getting to class, plus i am in ISP. So getting to class wouldn't be a concern. However, grocery shopping and going to the bank/gym might be difficult. Does anyone know the area well? Is there car service that I would be able to call and get a cab if I needed to get somewhere?

hopefully my questions will turn out to be useful to someone of you as well.

:)))

thanks again

Hi guys,

I'll be starting at LECOM this summer. I have a two bedroom apt in the brand new laurel springs complex right across the street from school, no need for driving. I'm a male, in the lecture based program, easy going from NJ. The rent is 680 a month for the two bedroom so we could split that. If anyone is looking for a place or has any questions shoot me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!

I figured with the amount of snow Erie gets in winter as well as all the construction going on at laurel springs that driving my car from laurel springs would still be necessary in my opinion. Maybe they'll have sidewalks and spruce it up by the time we start school, but who knows.

You will want/need a car.

You will have to drive many more places than you think right now. Besides shopping for food, you will also have to drive to downtown Erie many times during your second semester for your H&P class. You do not want to deal with the trouble of getting a cab. You want a car.

If you need a local bank, I would suggest PNC. They are the most ubiquitous bank in Erie and even have an ATM at LECOM.

Also, even though you are in ISP, trust me you will need to be on campus a lot more than you think. For the first 12 weeks you will need to be on campus every day and after that I would say expect to be on campus at least 3 days a week (even though only for an hour or two some days). LECOM still hasn't really figured out what ISP means.

Good luck!

this is so annoying...

Both, my checking and savings accounts are with Chase Bank. I just called Chase to see if they have any branches in Erie, PA. To my surprise it turns out that they have no branches in Pennsylvania at all! I was shocked at that considering that there are chase branches even overseas in europe...

Guess I'll have to switch banks. Can any of the current students please recommend a good bank in terms of location near LECOM and good business hours?

Which bank is the most common in Erie, PA.

I would greatly appreciate it!

another question...
I just got my drivers license and I was looking forward to purchasing a car. But now that I think about it, is it really all that necessary for the 1st 2 years (i know that after 2 year I will have to have a car for sure, but for now... i dont know)? If I end up living 1-5 blocks away from LECOM, I will be OK getting to class, plus i am in ISP. So getting to class wouldn't be a concern. However, grocery shopping and going to the bank/gym might be difficult. Does anyone know the area well? Is there car service that I would be able to call and get a cab if I needed to get somewhere?

hopefully my questions will turn out to be useful to someone of you as well.

:)))

thanks again

i have national city and it's pretty good. there's a branch close to LECOM and also one downtown in case you need cash while down there.

in terms of needing a car. you'll have to drive to everything, even if you're not heading to LECOM. if you're by LECOM you're too far to walk to most everything else. do you need a car? no you could probably get by without it but only if you have someone else's to use on occasion. as for services and cabs...no idea. cabs you can call but i don't know how expensive that'd be if you're using them to run errands.

I figured with the amount of snow Erie gets in winter as well as all the construction going on at laurel springs that driving my car from laurel springs would still be necessary in my opinion. Maybe they'll have sidewalks and spruce it up by the time we start school, but who knows.

Literally a rock could be thrown from Laurel Springs to LECOM, cut back on the green house gases folks.

Thanks so much for your replies...they are so helpful!

I'm driving to Erie tonight to look for places to live tom/sat so I'll make sure to stop by that bank to open up an account.

Do you have any suggestions for what else I should look into/do/be aware of when I'm at Erie this Friday?

I'm gonna start car shopping next week...wish me luck!

:)

Hey,
for those of you who are curious, this is a look at last year's MS1 schedule from the student handbook online. I'm sure some of it will be different, but at least it gives us a glimpse of the holiday schedule and all. I heard from a 4th year that we get our schedules Day 1 of orientation.

2007-2008 ACADEMIC CALENDAR
July 28 – August 3, 2007 Orientation for the Class of 2011
July 30, 2007 Academic Year Begins for First Year Students
August 6, 2007 Academic Year Begins for Second Year Students
September 3 Labor Day – No Classes
November 21 Thanksgiving Break – No Classes
November 26 Classes Resume
December 21 End of First Semester
January 7, 2008 Second Semester Begins
January 21 Martin Luther King Day – No Classes
May 16 Second Semester Ends for Second Year Students
May 23 Second Semester Ends for First Year Students
June 1 Commencement Class of 2008
June 8 LECOM Bradenton Commencement Class of 2008
*For the third and fourth year academic calendar, see the Clinical Clerkship Handbook.
thanks for sharing this info

This listing is no longer available.

Last edited:
55 days to go. Anyone freaking out yet? :scared:

55 days to go. Anyone freaking out yet? :scared:

Yeah I am freaking out but more about financial aid, where is it? Has anyone else received their loan info? Gettin a little worried.:confused:

Yeah I am freaking out but more about financial aid, where is it? Has anyone else received their loan info? Gettin a little worried.:confused:
Don't get worried no one I know has gotten finaid info yet... The time to get worried would be 3 days before classes start.

I inquired about the financial aid packet via email the other day. here is the reply I got...

"Incoming medical students will be awarded in the middle of June. Please be
watching your email account for the electronic award notice in mid June."

Last edited:
Last year it was nearly July before the financial aid showed up.

Derek, if you're reading this, I'm not sure if Outlook sent my reply or not. Let me know if you got it!

I inquired about the financial aid packet via email the other day. here is the reply I got...

"Incoming medical students will be awarded in the middle of June. Please be
watching your email account for the electronic award notice in mid June."

Oh crap-- how do I give them an updated e-mail address? The one I gave them has since expired.