LECOM-Erie Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd imagine there are quite a few of us milmeds. I've talked to a couple people in our class about why I chose the Army over the other branches. We can probably get a good gathering of people to come and not limit it to MS-1's either.

Well at the welcome to LECOM BBQ which will be held on friday of your first week you'll have a chance to talk to the milmed club officers but I don't see why we can't have a meeting outside of that. Although I don't think that many of them will be in town (for the army at least ) until halfway through your first week of classes, most are in Tx going through OBLC

Members don't see this ad.

I have a room in a 2 bedroom apartment available. Its from Pastore builders located across the street from LECOM built last summer. Anyone still looking for an apartment let me know.

i'm unfortunately not going to make it to erie until july 13th, which gives me very little time to find and secure a place... is there any sense in finding an agent to help out? if so, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey LECOMers,

Do you want to help provide and receive detailed notes for yourself and others?

I'm helping keeping the noteservice alive for our class, it has been a huge help and success for the class of 2012.

We need to find scribes (25 scribes) and runners (at least 5) that will take notes and send them to people that want the notes.

Let me know what you are interested in via email: [email protected]

Noteservice is FREE for volunteers!

Noteservice is $160/semester for students that would like notes for all lectures. Whether you are LDP, PBL, ISP, or PCSP Noteservice will provide with detailed notes for all lectures.

Given that our refund checks from financial aid will not be available until two weeks after the start of classes, how do they expect us to be able to purchase text books? Is the cost of books taken out at the same time as tuition?

does anybody know of places with garages or at least covered parking? i'm looking around and it appears to be slim pickings at this point.

Well at the welcome to LECOM BBQ which will be held on friday of your first week you'll have a chance to talk to the milmed club officers but I don't see why we can't have a meeting outside of that. Although I don't think that many of them will be in town (for the army at least ) until halfway through your first week of classes, most are in Tx going through OBLC

Well we can wait until classes start to have a "meeting". Maybe head out to a bar and hear everyones military stories. Also if you want, we are having a get together bbq for the class of 2013 and it would be awesome if some 2nd years could make it out there and hang out with us. Just check on facebook for the LECOM Class of 2013 Get Together BBQ

Hey guys, what's the best deal for internet and basic tv?
a bunch of cable companies are not available it seems. thanks a lot guys.

Hey guys, what's the best deal for internet and basic tv?
a bunch of cable companies are not available it seems. thanks a lot guys.

Time Warner is the cable company. i have Dish network at home but have Time Warner Internet. Was able to get their basic slow package for 19.99 per month. It is a good deal. As far as TV, you got either Time Warner, Dish or Direct TV. Time Warner does bundle TV, Internet and phone and usually run some sort of deal if you get all three but you can sometimes get a bette deal on your own....I also was able to get my Vonage phone service down to 9.99 per month

Well we can wait until classes start to have a "meeting". Maybe head out to a bar and hear everyones military stories. Also if you want, we are having a get together bbq for the class of 2013 and it would be awesome if some 2nd years could make it out there and hang out with us. Just check on facebook for the LECOM Class of 2013 Get Together BBQ

Is the facebook thing mandatory to get the details of the BBQ? I am not a member. I think if I get on it, it might be like SDN x 100 and I don't need to know what everyone I have ever met is doing every minute of the day........cause I will check. Thanks

Time Warner is the cable company. i have Dish network at home but have Time Warner Internet. Was able to get their basic slow package for 19.99 per month. It is a good deal. As far as TV, you got either Time Warner, Dish or Direct TV. Time Warner does bundle TV, Internet and phone and usually run some sort of deal if you get all three but you can sometimes get a bette deal on your own....I also was able to get my Vonage phone service down to 9.99 per month

Wow how did you get the 19.99 deal??? I pay double that

Is the facebook thing mandatory to get the details of the BBQ? I am not a member. I think if I get on it, it might be like SDN x 100 and I don't need to know what everyone I have ever met is doing every minute of the day........cause I will check. Thanks

No facebook isn't mandatory to know the details of the bbq. I will post more info on here as soon as I figure the details out. We are currently trying to decide on types of keg beer. Let me know if you have any suggestions

No facebook isn't mandatory to know the details of the bbq. I will post more info on here as soon as I figure the details out. We are currently trying to decide on types of keg beer. Let me know if you have any suggestions

Hey for us milmeds, especially us non trads that have a metabloism that has slooooowed down, light beer is always preferable. I thought I heard people mentioning glenwood park which is next to the zoo...great place and even has a playground for the kids, etc...let me know if you need me to do anything ahead of time, as I only live a couple blocks from there. There is also a beer place near there called ber for less at 38th & peach (like a mile from glenwood).

Again, pm me or post if you need me to do anythign ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow how did you get the 19.99 deal??? I pay double that

I was paying double that. They say it is their basic roadrunner which is supposedly slower. Maybe at peak times it is a little slower but ow many of us will or should be using the internet at hokme durin peak times? maybe ISPers but I doubut it. Anyway, I went in and cancelled my cable and said I was losing my job, which I technicaly am, and said I still needed just basic internet........19.99 per month. I would go up to their office outside the mall.

I was paying double that. They say it is their basic roadrunner which is supposedly slower. Maybe at peak times it is a little slower but ow many of us will or should be using the internet at hokme durin peak times? maybe ISPers but I doubut it. Anyway, I went in and cancelled my cable and said I was losing my job, which I technicaly am, and said I still needed just basic internet........19.99 per month. I would go up to their office outside the mall.
Where outside the mall is their office?

Where outside the mall is their office?

I think it is called Peach Street Square or something like that. If you are heading south on Peach Street, right across from Superior Toyota, before you turn ionto the mall, there is a Northwest Savings Bank branch at the corner of the strip plaza outisde the mall.....turn in there and the time warner office is in the plaza a few doors down from the northwest bank...........go at off peak times though. There are only two people at the ocunter and tey are not there because they want to be there..................

Hey for us milmeds, especially us non trads that have a metabloism that has slooooowed down, light beer is always preferable. I thought I heard people mentioning glenwood park which is next to the zoo...great place and even has a playground for the kids, etc...let me know if you need me to do anything ahead of time, as I only live a couple blocks from there. There is also a beer place near there called ber for less at 38th & peach (like a mile from glenwood).

Again, pm me or post if you need me to do anythign ahead of time.

Yea we have it set up for Glenwood Park as of now. We are looking at getting a light beer like Miller Lite or Yuengling. We are gonna need food, charcoal, cups, plates, utensils, etc. I'll let you know when I figure out more

punkiedad you mentioned one, what are the other main banks in the area? i have chase right now and there isnt a single atm for 37 miles, and not a branch for 50+...

punkiedad you mentioned one, what are the other main banks in the area? i have chase right now and there isnt a single atm for 37 miles, and not a branch for 50+...

I have been with PNC my entire life. They just bought National City as well. There are some small credit unions as well as a local bank called Erie Bank. I recommend PNC as that is the ATM on campus and they have a ton of them around the city and they have no fee if you are a PNC customer.

I got an account with citizen bank, as it was the only one I found in erie that I also have around at home too.

I called up time warner. They want 102$/month for basic cable and internet, no phone. :mad::wtf:

No dish at the apt complex I'm at. I gotta call them back later when I'm not at work and try to get that down. I'm not paying 102$ per month for TV I probably wont watch 90% of the time and internet. That more than we pay at home for premium cable.

I called up time warner. They want 102$/month for basic cable and internet, no phone. :mad::wtf:

No dish at the apt complex I'm at. I gotta call them back later when I'm not at work and try to get that down. I'm not paying 102$ per month for TV I probably wont watch 90% of the time and internet. That more than we pay at home for premium cable.
yup, ditch the TV and learn to use bittorrent. I haven't had a tv in 4+ years and I'm doing fine

yup, ditch the TV and learn to use bittorrent. I haven't had a tv in 4+ years and I'm doing fine

I do use bittorrent, still want tv though.

On my lunch break I had more time to argue with them. Turns out theres a cable package that is the 75 basic cable channels that you would normally get. The person I got previously didn't tell me, all she said was there is either an option for 12 channels, or the 250 channel digital.

I also got more information about the different internet speeds, .768mb/s, 2mb/s, 7mb/s. I opted for 2mb and I can see how that works out. Brought it down to 86$ after taxes from 107$ after taxes.

They're all a bunch of cheating lying scummy bastards. The power company wanted a deposit from me because they decided to run a credit check on me and found out I didn't have enough (not bad credit, just basically no credit). I had to have my parents "cosign" on the power. Ended up with some saver plan that is cheaper for nonpeak use, higher for peak use. Peak being 9-9 during the week, offpeak other times and weekends. I figure I wouldn't be using that much electricity (if I'm even in my apartment) between 9-9 during the week so that should work out.

I do use bittorrent, still want tv though.

On my lunch break I had more time to argue with them. Turns out theres a cable package that is the 75 basic cable channels that you would normally get. The person I got previously didn't tell me, all she said was there is either an option for 12 channels, or the 250 channel digital.

I also got more information about the different internet speeds, .768mb/s, 2mb/s, 7mb/s. I opted for 2mb and I can see how that works out. Brought it down to 86$ after taxes from 107$ after taxes.

They're all a bunch of cheating lying scummy bastards. The power company wanted a deposit from me because they decided to run a credit check on me and found out I didn't have enough (not bad credit, just basically no credit). I had to have my parents "cosign" on the power. Ended up with some saver plan that is cheaper for nonpeak use, higher for peak use. Peak being 9-9 during the week, offpeak other times and weekends. I figure I wouldn't be using that much electricity (if I'm even in my apartment) between 9-9 during the week so that should work out.
If you are living in royal villa then all the utilities are electric. And during the winter you'll want the heat on when you get home.

NOpe no free printing on campus I have a HP P2055dn laser. Prints double sided and I love it, cuts down the cost of paper but up front I think it cost me 300

How do the professors usually get the notes to the students? Do they put them online the night before? I'm just wondering because I have a slower printer that I have to watch because it jams occasionally, so I would have to be able to print the notes a little farther in advance than at the last second before class.

How do the professors usually get the notes to the students? Do they put them online the night before? I'm just wondering because I have a slower printer that I have to watch because it jams occasionally, so I would have to be able to print the notes a little farther in advance than at the last second before class.

Some professors don't even get the notes out until AFTER class....that's always fun.

All of the notes are PPTs with the occasional Word/PDF. Most people just take notes on their laptops (in the note section of the PPTs). LECOM also has the note service you can buy where they print the notes out the night before and put them in your locker that morning before lectures.

Some professors don't even get the notes out until AFTER class....that's always fun.

All of the notes are PPTs with the occasional Word/PDF. Most people just take notes on their laptops (in the note section of the PPTs). LECOM also has the note service you can buy where they print the notes out the night before and put them in your locker that morning before lectures.

Can you explain this? I've been confused about the note service. Are you provided printouts of the ppt before the lecture, and then given the notes the next day or whenever?

Can you explain this? I've been confused about the note service. Are you provided printouts of the ppt before the lecture, and then given the notes the next day or whenever?

Yes. You get a printout of the whole days notes which will be in your locker that morning before the first class. This is a pretty big packet with 4 slides/page double sided. It just has the slides from the ppts.

The following day or a couple of days later (if there's an exam) they will email you in word format notes from each lecture. These files will have what the scribes wrote down during class. Pretty much what the professor says in class.

I found the note service extremely useful for "fluff" classes....health care management, spirituality, etc. It gave me more time to learn the hard stuff.

If you have any more questions about price, etc. ask Dr. A on here.

Re: Punkiedad ?
It has been quite a year... and I think most of it has to do with my recruiter. He just started HPSP this year and has obviously been ill prepared. I had a heck of a time trying to get a hold of him or hear back from him, I had to do an application over again because he lost it. I honestly think all the back and forth dragging this year got my app to the boards too late. Oh well. I can deal with three years. I want to be in the milmed club! My dad is a retired Navy Commander and he had a few words with my recruiter's commander... Let's just hope this doesn't happen to another student!

Last edited:
I hope someone replies to your question because I have been worrying about the same thing! I was gonna ask the bookstore...

Re: Punkiedad ?
It has been quite a year... and I think most of it has to do with my recruiter. He just started HPSP this year and has obviously been ill prepared. I had a heck of a time trying to get a hold of him or hear back from him, I had to do an application over again because he lost it. I honestly think all the back and forth dragging this year got my app to the boards too late. Oh well. I can deal with three years. I want to be in the milmed club! My dad is a retired Navy Commander and he had a few words with my recruiter's commander... Let's just hope this doesn't happen to another student!

Very sorry to hear that, but n the grand scheme of things it is small and your attitude sure shows great leadership. unfortunately I don't think that is where things stop, at least in may case. I have ben chasing after people for a couple months now with paperwork, etc... It really is amazing how complicated things can be.........look forward to all of the milmeds getting together.

BTW, I am starting in LDP and will be waiting to get books......

Very sorry to hear that, but n the grand scheme of things it is small and your attitude sure shows great leadership. unfortunately I don't think that is where things stop, at least in may case. I have ben chasing after people for a couple months now with paperwork, etc... It really is amazing how complicated things can be.........look forward to all of the milmeds getting together.

yea milmed is quite a hassle to get through. I originally went through the Air Force and it was one hoop after another I had to jump through. I switched to the Army and its been better. The only problem is I haven't heard from my recruiter in a month or so and I'm beginning to wonder when I'll be paid. I don't have money to buy books til then so I'm kinda screwed if I don't get paid til after August 1st. I too second that I'm gonna wait to get books until after school starts. Also, look on Amazon.com for books. The Embryo and Histo books on there were at least $20 cheaper than at the LECOM bookstore

im in isp i feel like im not getting the start i should i cant find anything on portal. and does anyone else live in vineyard vilage i got so bored i came back to detroit until the semester starts

I was wondering how much of the test material comes from lecture notes. Do we need to read textbooks (LDP) or if we can just study lecture notes and do well on the tests?

I was wondering how much of the test material comes from lecture notes. Do we need to read textbooks (LDP) or if we can just study lecture notes and do well on the tests?

I have heard of many LDPers say not to buy too much until class starts. I got a boatload of books from a graduating MSIV....not sure how close the editions are to what is required now, but can they really be that different four years later?

as far as the exams, I am just guessing a lot comes from the notes. I have heard several people say they really didn't even have time to read outside of studying their notes? Not sure how true this is, but I have seen it.

I have heard of many LDPers say not to buy too much until class starts. I got a boatload of books from a graduating MSIV....not sure how close the editions are to what is required now, but can they really be that different four years later?

as far as the exams, I am just guessing a lot comes from the notes. I have heard several people say they really didn't even have time to read outside of studying their notes? Not sure how true this is, but I have seen it.

I'm hoping this is the case for us. I never read textbooks in undergrad unless I had to and I hope I don't have to in med school either.

Also, is there anyway we can get dental insurance through the school? I thought I read somewhere that we could get it on top of our health insurance.

Most professors acknowledge that the books are useless and the tests are all directly from the notes. That being said, there are courses that the professors have required reading or have concepts that are easier understood after reading the books (since the note are terrible). I would say either wait and see or try to get the books from an MSII or MSIII.

Yes you can get dental insurance on top of medical insurance, not sure what it is exactly.

Do you know how I go about finding information on a dental plan through the school?

Do you know how I go about finding information on a dental plan through the school?

I got my tuition bill on Friday I think. There was information in the envelope about the dental insurance......

How did you get the tuition bill? In the mail or online?

How did you get the tuition bill? In the mail or online?

It was snail mail. There was the tuition bill with all the fees. It also showed all approved/accepted finiancial aid as well as anticipated refund amount. The dental piece was a two page envelope stuffer. I live in Erie so I got it quickly. I would imagine you would get it tomorrow or Wednesday?

This is mostly directed at current students, who have had more experience with the Financial Aid Office: does anyone know if LECOM will allow you to take out more money in loans after you've already reduced your aid award in the portal? I'm talking specifically about Stafford Unsub. I requested considerably less than was offered, which would have been fine up until a couple weeks ago when I had to dip into my savings for emergency expenses. I'm just hoping I won't have to apply for a private loan because of this!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This is mostly directed at current students, who have had more experience with the Financial Aid Office: does anyone know if LECOM will allow you to take out more money in loans after you've already reduced your aid award in the portal? I'm talking specifically about Stafford Unsub. I requested considerably less than was offered, which would have been fine up until a couple weeks ago when I had to dip into my savings for emergency expenses. I'm just hoping I won't have to apply for a private loan because of this!

Thanks in advance.
Nope, you can request the full amount anytime, just speak with the office and they'll put the request in for you

hey guys,
As a first year med student, is there other stuff we need to buy besides books such as stethoscope or whatever? thanks.

AAahh I must be weird for loving the textbooks in college... I'm starting LDP too but I really want to get the books. Not saying I'm going to read any while I'm at the OuterBanks next week muuahahahahhaha! :laugh:

AAahh I must be weird for loving the textbooks in college... I'm starting LDP too but I really want to get the books.

You are weird. Every time I look at the stack of textbooks in my room that I barely read that go for about $2.50 on half.com right now, my left eye starts twitching and this vein in my neck starts throbbing.

You are weird. Every time I look at the stack of textbooks in my room that I barely read that go for about $2.50 on half.com right now, my left eye starts twitching and this vein in my neck starts throbbing.

Is it the same twitch in the eye that Chuck Norris gets before giving someone a roundhouse to the face??

Did you know that Chuck norris doesn't need to buy books either. The words just jump off the books around him, assemble themselves in front of him and literally diffuse, in order, into his brain......they are too scared to do otherwise........really.

What anatomy atlas are you guys gonna get? I think I'm gonna do Rohen's since it has actual pics of cadavers. I saw a preview of it on google books and it looks like a good book. I also looked at Gray's atlas and although I didn't like all the colorful computer generated illustrations, it did have a lot of x-ray, MRI, CT, and other scans available to look at.