LECOM-Erie Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for this so woo hoo! Got accepted into LDP (first choice, PBL scares me). Don't know for sure if this is where I'll end up but its definitely high on the list.

How about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to the PBL pathway. I really enjoyed my interview at LECOM, but am not sure if I will matriculate because of the whole PBL students don't get to dissect cadavers thing. It's ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's only true if you are matriculating at the Seton Hill campus. At Bradenton and Erie you get to dissect cadavers.

Really? Someone who was accepted to the Seton Hill campus posted in the Pre-DO forum that all PBL students at Seton Hill and Erie will not be able to participate in the cadaver dissection. I've been accepted at the Erie campus, and would love to be able to dissect! I truly hope you are correct!

Really? Someone who was accepted to the Seton Hill campus posted in the Pre-DO forum that all PBL students at Seton Hill and Erie will not be able to participate in the cadaver dissection. I've been accepted at the Erie campus, and would love to be able to dissect! I truly hope you are correct!

They said at our interview all PBL students in both seton hill and erie will not be using cadavers.

Do PBL students not have anatomy lab anymore starting next year or something? :confused:

Do PBL students not have anatomy lab anymore starting next year or something? :confused:
I heard a rumor floating around school from a few of the PBL facilitators that they were thinking of it, but I didn't think that they would go through with it. I think it is slightly odd, Med school without working on a cadaver, what?

I heard a rumor floating around school from a few of the PBL facilitators that they were thinking of it, but I didn't think that they would go through with it. I think it is slightly odd, Med school without working on a cadaver, what?

Can someone find out if this is true?? If so, can I switch into LDP or is it too late?? This really worries me. The LECOM website still states that anatomy and a few other courses are taken with LDP students:

"General Overview

The core of the program is the series of problem-based learning cases which occupies much of the time in years 1 and 2. While Anatomical course are taken, groups meet only once per week, thereafter groups meet three times per week for the remainder of the first year, and three times per week for the entire second year, up to approximately one month prior to the national administration of the NBOME COMLEX Level 1 Examinations.

Other Coursework

Students in the Problem-Based Learning Pathway will participate in course from the LDP curriculum during the first and second years. These include the following:

Human Clinical Gross Anatomy
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine I - IV
Healthcare Management I and II
History and Physical Examination I, II, and III
Spirituality, Medicine and Ethics
Public Health and Preventative Medicine
Geriatric Medicine
Basic Life Support / Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Medical Jurisprudence
Histology
Embryology
Behavioral Medicine
Human Sexuality
(NOTE: Osteopathic Principles and Practice is presented throughout in a format identical to that of the LDP)

Following the conclusion of the second year, PBL students take the national administration of the NBOME COMLEX Level 1 and then enter clerkships to complete their third and fourth years via the existing curriculum."

Everyone has access to the anatomy lab, it's open pretty much all of the time during the anatomy course. Furthermore, in the summer, you could sign up to help prepare the cadavers. If you really want to dig your hands into dead people, you will be able to do so to your heart's content, no problem.

OK, so I guess my earlier comment was wrong. From what I understand, since the Seton Hill campus is only an extension of the LECOM-Erie campus, they need to mirror everything that the Erie campus does (and vice-versa). In that case, since there is no cadaver lab at Seton Hill (and it's all PBL), the PBL students at Erie can't use cadavers.

However, as someone else pointed out, the cadaver lab is pretty much always open at Erie, so even though PBL students may not be dissecting, they can still access the lab.

That's right; no worries. Plenty of cadavers available to sink your hands into; and if you want more experience, you can work on the new cadavers that come in during the summer and get paid for it.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone who is going to LECOM-Erie in the fall. Can't wait to see everyone else who is in the Class of 2013!! Finals and next semester are gonna be sooo easy and stress free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I too am excited about my acceptance to LECOM-Erie. Congratulations to you guys, and can't wait to see you next fall. Does anybody know when orientation and classes will begin next year?

according to the academic calendar for this year's entering class, registration was July 26th and orientation was the week of July 28th. Just go to the prospective students page and select catalog. I did not see any info for next fall yet.

according to the academic calendar for this year's entering class, registration was July 26th and orientation was the week of July 28th. Just go to the prospective students page and select catalog. I did not see any info for next fall yet.

They're pretty early aren't they, compared to other places?

Yea we will be starting early but the second year students didn't start until August 4th this year. I wouldn't mind starting at the end of July because my family has more time then to help me move than in the middle of August

Is anyone else planning on bringing a pet to school? I've been looking around online trying to find a pet-friendly apartment that is very close to the school, but have had no luck so far.

You'll be receiving a bunch of stuff in the next few months about housing, financial aid, etc, and they will include a housing guide. Here's a helpful website if you want to do some searching online.

www.apartmentreviews.net

Hey All,

Just wondering if there is anything we need to do at this time to prepare for matriculation. I already paid my fist deposit and sent over my final transcripts. I assume LECOM will send info regarding immunizations and everything when the time comes, but I am more concerned with when we have to submit additional tuition deposits? I paid my first in December, is there another coming up in March?

Thanks!

Hey All,

Just wondering if there is anything we need to do at this time to prepare for matriculation. I already paid my fist deposit and sent over my final transcripts. I assume LECOM will send info regarding immunizations and everything when the time comes, but I am more concerned with when we have to submit additional tuition deposits? I paid my first in December, is there another coming up in March?

Thanks!

You should be receiving a huge packet with immunization info, background checks, housing, everything within the next month or so. Tuition won't be due til July or August.

P.S. For anyone who has questions about PBL, just lemme know. It's an awesome pathway, so don't be frightened by it!!:)

I had posted earlier about my house for sale. So I listed it for $99k with my agent. Here is the link -- http://coldwellbankererie.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSName=EriePA&PRM_MLSNumber=97325

If I don't really see any action by April I will rent it in May for $750. Pets are allowed. If you're interested in renting please contact me and let me know. If interested in purchasing I am pretty flexible and will provide and Home Warranty for the buyer.

BTW, the home is located 3 blocks from LECOM.

Can any current students speak to the following apartment complexes: Willowwood, Royal Villa, Alpine Village, Winchester, Laurel Ridge or Laurel Springs. I have put my name down on a wait list for a lot of these places and, because of work, probably will not be able to visit the apartments before I sign a lease. I know that's not ideal, but it's the situation I have to work with. Insight? Comments?

Thanks! :love:

You should be receiving a huge packet with immunization info, background checks, housing, everything within the next month or so. Tuition won't be due til July or August.

P.S. For anyone who has questions about PBL, just lemme know. It's an awesome pathway, so don't be frightened by it!!:)

Thank you :) Recently got all of that information. It's a tad overwhelming!

Can any current students speak to the following apartment complexes: Willowwood, Royal Villa, Alpine Village, Winchester, Laurel Ridge or Laurel Springs. I have put my name down on a wait list for a lot of these places and, because of work, probably will not be able to visit the apartments before I sign a lease. I know that's not ideal, but it's the situation I have to work with. Insight? Comments?

Thanks! :love:

Laurel Springs is brand new this year and directly across the street. Laurel Ridge is a block away. Both are nice apartments and basically a lot of students live there.

I live a few blocks away in the Maleno development's (Village on Pacific and Lakeview). The advantage of Maleno, in my opinion, is a garage and your own washer and dryer. Nothing like not having to dig your car out of the snow (although most students walk from Laurel Ridge/Spring to school...but there are no sidewalks).

The other places on your list, I'm sure there are students who live there, but I don't know anyone off the top of my head.

ChiDO
How much do you pay to live there? Do you live with anyone? Did you have to get on a waiting list to live there?

Thanks

Are the palermo townhouses a good choice? I was looking at Carrollwood or Westin developments...

Last edited:
ChiDO
How much do you pay to live there? Do you live with anyone? Did you have to get on a waiting list to live there?

Thanks

$670

I didn't want to have a roommate, so I found a 1 BR for myself. As for a waiting list, I was just told to call back on the 1st of the month (to see who was renewing or not renewing) in May/June/July and then got a spot.

I believe the 2 BR might be like $50-100 more a month and I know a few people who have that and live by themselves as well. I would just call and find out as the rest. www.malenodevelopment.com

So, I live at Laurel springs- the new apartments right across from school. I have a one bedroom and it's 610 with a balcony( without balcony would be 590). It's nice cause I don't have to worry about driving in a snow or cleaning my car every morning. The apartments are gorgeous inside and everything is new!! There are also a new set of apts being built right across the Laurel Springs, but i am not sure when they will be done.

Good luck with the first year!!

Hey everyone - I am also excited to have been accepted to LECOM-Erie!!! However, before filling out the matriculation packet, I just wanted to double check what it meant- does filling it out mean that AACOM or COCA will notify all other schools that I am officially part of LECOM?

I was just looking at the cost of moving up to Erie from Fla....:eek:....
So I was thinking of hopefully finding someone else whose in the same situation and get advice.... Anyone else moving from very far away? what are you doing as far as your move?
Thanks!

I was just looking at the cost of moving up to Erie from Fla....:eek:....
So I was thinking of hopefully finding someone else whose in the same situation and get advice.... Anyone else moving from very far away? what are you doing as far as your move?
Thanks!

I feel your pain as I am moving from Arkansas. I am gonna rent a UHAUL and tow it behind my vehicle. I'm gonna drive to my great aunt and uncles house in Columbus, OH and stay the night. Then I will go the rest of the way the next day.

Agnes, and anyone else wondering about the Pastore properties right by school-

I live at Laurel Ridge (right next door to the school, across Ellsworth), and it is very nice- new, clean, roomy. I had to take it sight unseen, as you say you will as well, but I was very pleased when I got here. I could only get a 2BR, for $630/mo... I use the heat and other electricity somewhat sparingly and electric bills have ranged so far from $18 (summer) to around $150 (winter). The location can't be beat- I can walk just as quickly as some of my neighbors drive over to school (I race them...), but I think I will look for something smaller and less expensive for when my lease runs out.
Laurel Springs, across Grandview from the school (which might be a few feet closer, but they have to wait for the light to cross the street...) is almost exactly the same in layout and design, as far as I've seen.

Good luck finding a place that fits you, and I hope to see you around next year!

Most of us with pets (i.e., medium to large dogs) live a mile to four from school, usually in flats (houses split in two). Rent usually runs $425 to $650 with a deposit. Depending on what kind of situation you want and if you don't want to eat-live-and breath-school, living a bit further is a welcome relief from it all. There were really only a few places that allowed dogs (and NOT all breeds) under 40lbs. We're (MSIIs) are leaving May 15th, so there will be several places coming up June or so...

Good luck.

Hey everyone - I am also excited to have been accepted to LECOM-Erie!!! However, before filling out the matriculation packet, I just wanted to double check what it meant- does filling it out mean that AACOM or COCA will notify all other schools that I am officially part of LECOM?

No this is not the case when you submit your matriculation info. Acceptance information won't be made public to other schools until May 15th, so you're able to hold multiple acceptances until then without any worries. After that date, schools have the perrogative to release your seat to someone else if you have yet to make a committment to them by that time (even if you already paid the matriculation fee).

Feedback is great. Anyone use Palermo realty? I've seen bad things and was curious.

I've read some bad things about palermo as well. I spoke with someone on the phone from them and it didn't give me a good vibe. They also wanted a deposit just to get on the waiting list. I spoke with someone from Maleno today and had a much better experience.

Which properties are Palermo Realty?

Hi,

I will be a second year student at LECOM. I am currently living in a small cottage house but have to move out to a different place since my boyfriend will be moving up here with me next year. I highly recommend this cottage house since it is within walking distance from LECOM and the rent is cheap. Everything is paid for except gas and electric. For electric I usually pay about $15 a month. The place has one bathroom, a bedroom, another room (which I don't use-could be use as a living room or TV room), and a living room. If anyone would like more information please email me and I will give you more details about the place.

Hi I'm a fourth year moving back to Tx and will be selling my home. Below is a website I created with pics and full description:

http://forsaleerie.blogspot.com/

If interested you can pm me on here or call (936) 465-6404
All offers will be considered

i know! im getting excited already. off topic... who needs a roommate? haha

I would like some more information on the cottage property. How close are you to the school? Are there any floorplans/pictures available online?

Congratulations on being accepted to LECOM!
I'm a first year living in a house close to school (I walk most days). My husband and I are moving to be closer to his work, so the house we are in is available. If anyone is looking for a house to lease, this is a great place!! There are three bedrooms and one bathroom so it's great for 2 or 3 girls or someone with a family. Email me if you are interested and I'll give you more details! My email is: [email protected] (please email me as I do not check SDN)
Feel free to email me if you have any other questions about school. I know how nervous and full of questions I was at this time last year so I'd be happy to help!
Good luck with everything as you prepare for medical school!!
~Lauren

Whats up with the roommate list??? I feel like its an urban legend....lol...

hey

just wanted to send out a message to students who are currently attending LECOM. I need some feedback from real students who were not leading my tour :)

do you like it there? do you feel like you will be competitive after graduation? what don't you like about the school?

thanks!