LECOM-Erie Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey All,
I was wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate or knows of anyone who is. I am looking to move in mid July. I have a cat but she is friendly and well-trained. I'm neat in common areas and can sometimes have some clothes tossed around in my own room. I'm very respectful of other people's things. I like to go out and have fun, but always put studying first. Please get back to me either on here, or email me @ [email protected].

Thank you!

-Michelle

Members don't see this ad.

All the info is sent out a few weeks prior to the ceremony which is in early January. If you have questions feel free to ask. But believe me, by the time you get to it, it won't mean much to you and you will be wishing you didn't have to sit and watch 260 plus people stumble across the stage when you have a quiz the next day.
Yeah, the excitement dies at that point... it's mostly for friends and family to say HEY look at him/her they are doing it. I could have cared less but my GF was way more excited about it than I was

Hey All,
I was wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate or knows of anyone who is. I am looking to move in mid July. I have a cat but she is friendly and well-trained. I'm neat in common areas and can sometimes have some clothes tossed around in my own room. I'm very respectful of other people's things. I like to go out and have fun, but always put studying first. Please get back to me either on here, or email me @ [email protected].

Thank you!

-Michelle
Mash008,

If you are looking for a pet friendly place Landmark Square is nice about 8 min from campus and 5 min from downtown. PM me and I'll send you a link to pictures of a two bedroom apt

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to buy a new computer and was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with the type they have at LECOM. I don't mean brands, but more like size, weight, durability. Do you find yourself bringing your computer to class everyday? For this reason I was thinking about getting a smaller laptop with a smaller screen.

I'm going to buy a new computer and was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with the type they have at LECOM. I don't mean brands, but more like size, weight, durability. Do you find yourself bringing your computer to class everyday? For this reason I was thinking about getting a smaller laptop with a smaller screen.
Smaller laptop with smaller screen is better since there isn't much room on the desks in the lecture hall to set up your computer without bumping into your neighbor. About half the class uses their computer in class and the other half just writes notes.

I am looking for a something new and pretty close to LECOM campus. I was interested in loft apartments with indoor garage. Most of all I want something new and nice. What apartment complexes would you recommend? (looking for 1 bedroom, no roommates) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cant wait to meet all of you!:)

Does anyone know anything about Lovell Apartments? Thanks

Is it too far?
does it have garage?
doe students live there?
etc?

Does anyone know anything about Lovell Apartments? Thanks

Is it too far?
does it have garage?
doe students live there?
etc?
Looking at it looks too expensive you can find better deals around town.

But to answer your questions

It's not too far
No garage, parking lot across the street
Students do live there

Lovell place just went through bankruptcy, but allegedly is not an issue. nice places, but pricey. It is in the mid town area where they are revitalizing some of the buidlings. There is a comedy club (Juniors Last Laugh) and a pretty popular bar (Calamari's) withing two blocks. The parking lot is fenced in, but is outside. Oh, and Dominick's restaurant is a block away in the other direction.....Dominick's makes a mean Meatball Omelette. Don't knock it till you try it.

thanks a bunch for all the info. meatball omelet, im so there!

Slevin, you said there are better deals around town? Do you know of any specific apartment complexes that you would recommend?

Thanks guys!

thanks a bunch for all the info. meatball omelet, im so there!

Slevin, you said there are better deals around town? Do you know of any specific apartment complexes that you would recommend?

Thanks guys!
I live in landmark square and I like it. Send me a PM and I'll send you a link to some pictures I have

Just came home to find a letter saying I've been awarded an academic merit scholarship yay!!

I saw the amount awarded on the applicant portal (not much but every bit helps). Does anyone know if this just applies to the fall semester or will it be applied to each semester?

It says its renewable yearly contingent on maintaining a 3.5 GPA. I could barely do that in college, and they want me to do it in med school? :eek:

Just came home to find a letter saying I've been awarded an academic merit scholarship yay!!

I saw the amount awarded on the applicant portal (not much but every bit helps). Does anyone know if this just applies to the fall semester or will it be applied to each semester?

It says its renewable yearly contingent on maintaining a 3.5 GPA. I could barely do that in college, and they want me to do it in med school? :eek:
Enjoy the break for the 1st year and then prepare to pay the full ride

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone feel like it is a hassle to drive to school, even if it is a short 5 minutes drive?

Hi guys and gals,
There was a previous post from the 2012 head scribe regarding noteservice, not sure if any of you contacted her already, but just wanted to remind you all that if no one volunteers to get it going for your class then you won't have it. You need 3 people initially to be in charge. Noteservice is student run, and the benefit is that all the volunteers get free notes! If anyone is interested, let us know so we can help you get it started. This is how we got involved last year and that way we had printouts from day one. I'm the current treasurer, you can contact me with any questions.
Congrats on your acceptances!

I am so excited to be able to say I will be joining you all this July. I was just accepted into ISP from the waitlist.

Most of us with pets (i.e., medium to large dogs) live a mile to four from school, usually in flats (houses split in two). Rent usually runs $425 to $650 with a deposit. Depending on what kind of situation you want and if you don't want to eat-live-and breath-school, living a bit further is a welcome relief from it all. There were really only a few places that allowed dogs (and NOT all breeds) under 40lbs. We're (MSIIs) are leaving May 15th, so there will be several places coming up June or so...

Good luck.

Where are these places? Do you have a phone number? I've got a large breed dog! Does anyone else know of a large breed dog-friendly apartment or townhouse?!?!?!

Is anyone else planning on bringing a pet to school? I've been looking around online trying to find a pet-friendly apartment that is very close to the school, but have had no luck so far.

did you find a place? I'm looking for a large-breed dog friendly place!!

Brookwood Apartments allow dogs, they are pretty nice but kindof a hike from the school! They are owned/operated by Polermo... I stayed there for about 7 months my first year but then moved to a closer location and am renting a house (you will appreciate being able to walk to school the 1st two years!)

Last edited:
MS1 fall semester schedules are available in the Portal under schedules..

MS1 fall semester schedules are available in the Portal under schedules..

Where is this? I can't find anything that says schedule. The closest I find is a calendar which doesn't list anything.

Nevermind, I found it.

Wow.

Any way for us to access lectures from this year? Be kinda interesting to see what they're like.

Last edited:
Where is this? I can't find anything that says schedule. The closest I find is a calendar which doesn't list anything.

Nevermind, I found it.

Wow.

Any way for us to access lectures from this year? Be kinda interesting to see what they're like.

Dude, this is like a more intense version of high school. class from 8-5 almost every day.

It would be nice to have a sneak peak at the lectures maybe even a teaser trailer.

I found the schedule, but it looked like it was just for LDP students. Anyone have any idea what the PBL schedule looks like?

Dude, this is like a more intense version of high school. class from 8-5 almost every day.

It would be nice to have a sneak peak at the lectures maybe even a teaser trailer.

Look closely at the afternoons. They list all the labs for all sections (Group A group B etc...) You're not gonna be attending every section.

I found the schedule, but it looked like it was just for LDP students. Anyone have any idea what the PBL schedule looks like?

I am also curious about this. Could a current PBL student give us an idea of what our schedule will be like?

Hey LECOMers,

Do you want to help provide and receive detailed notes for yourself and others?

I'm helping to keep the noteservice alive for our class, it has been a huge help and success for the class of 2012.

We need three people in charge; a Head Scribe (me), a Head Runner, and a Treasurer (filled).

The head runner is the person that makes the schedules for the runners (the people who distribute the notes to the lockers) and works with office max to have printouts for us daily.

Finally once we figure out which two people want to volunteer for these positions we can fill out the next spots.We will need to find scribes (need 25) and runners ( need at least 5) that will take notes and send them to people that want the notes.

Let me know what you are interested in via email: [email protected]

I'll keep everyone posted with updates with the development on our noteservice in the facebook group for our class when i get more info from the class of 2012.

I am also curious about this. Could a current PBL student give us an idea of what our schedule will be like?

During the first 12 weeks of anatomy you do 4 PBL cases. I think we met once or twice a week. At the end of anatomy you will have about a week and a half before the first PBL exam to study for it. But make sure you study PBL during anatomy too.

After that the schedule is pretty open for PBL meetings. You will have 3 meetings a week for 2 hours. It will depend on the facilitator when he/she wants to schedule your meetings. But you do the scheduling of meetings as a group with input from all the members which is nice. You will also have OPP lecture on wed and OPP lab on thursday during the semester.

I will be a 2nd year PBL next year so if you have any more questions feel free to ask!!!!:)

Did anyone reserve first semester texts at the bookstore or should I just hope for the best and buy them when I get there? I'm starting LDP..:xf:

I'm gonna wait til classes to ask MS-2's what books we really need. I'll probably buy them from amazon or from the bookstore after the first week

did you find a place? I'm looking for a large-breed dog friendly place!!

If you haven't found a place yet, try Belle Valley. It's the townhouse/ apartments behind Brookwood Village. Those are just as nice as Brookwood, and the plus is that they are not owned by Palermo. Palermo can be jerks.

There is also MCH housing, which is way closer to school, but it typically has a waiting list.

Good luck!

During the first 12 weeks of anatomy you do 4 PBL cases. I think we met once or twice a week. At the end of anatomy you will have about a week and a half before the first PBL exam to study for it. But make sure you study PBL during anatomy too.

After that the schedule is pretty open for PBL meetings. You will have 3 meetings a week for 2 hours. It will depend on the facilitator when he/she wants to schedule your meetings. But you do the scheduling of meetings as a group with input from all the members which is nice. You will also have OPP lecture on wed and OPP lab on thursday during the semester.

I will be a 2nd year PBL next year so if you have any more questions feel free to ask!!!!:)

Hey, I'm going to be a first year PBL student and I was wondering if there were certain books that they told you to buy, but you never used?
Heres the list for this year:

PBL Pathway​
Anatomy
Book Title Author ISBN Edition Price​
Gray's Anatomy for Students Drake 9781416065920 2 $110.00
Grays Atlas of Anatomy Drake 9780443067211 1 $77.95
Anatomy & Physiology Revealed 2.0
CD
University of
Toledo 9780073378077 $40.00
Revealed 2.0 Workbook Broyles 9780073378145 2 $28.13
Supplemental Instruction Guide for
Gross Antomy
Bateman Available in Bookstore $7.00​
Embryology
Langman's Medical Embryology Sadler 9780781790697 11 $62.95​
Histology
Histology: A Text and Atlas Ross 9780781772211 5 $72.95​
Recommended
Gray's Anatomy Review Loukas 9780443069383 $39.95
Atlas of Radiologic Anatomy Wicke 9781929007462 7 $64.95
BRS Gross Anatomy Chung 9780781771740 6 $39.95
Gray's Anatomy for Students Flash​
Cards Drake 9780702031724 2 $35.95

Hey, I'm going to be a first year PBL student and I was wondering if there were certain books that they told you to buy, but you never used?

PBL Pathway​
Anatomy
CD
University of
Gross Antomy
Bateman Available in Bookstore $7.00​
Embryology
Langman's Medical Embryology Sadler 9780781790697 11 $62.95​
Histology
Histology: A Text and Atlas Ross 9780781772211 5 $72.95​
Recommended
Gray's Anatomy for Students Flash​
Wait till you get here and ask a 2nd year what you need. Most defiantly don't need everything

PBL Pathway
Anatomy
Book Title Author ISBN Edition Price
CD
University of
Gross Antomy
Bateman Available in Bookstore $7.00
Embryology
Langman's Medical Embryology Sadler 9780781790697 11 $62.95
Histology
Histology: A Text and Atlas Ross 9780781772211 5 $72.95
Recommended
Gray's Anatomy for Students Flash

To answer you question the books that I bought were:
--Gray's Anatomy for Students Drake 9781416065920 2 $110.00 ***required
--Supplemental Instruction Guide for Gross Antomy
Bateman Available in Bookstore $7.00 (I assume this is the lab manual for dissections??)
--Langman's Medical Embryology Sadler 9780781790697 11 $62.95 ***required
--Histology: A Text and Atlas Ross 9780781772211 5 $72.95 ***required
--BRS Gross Anatomy Chung 9780781771740 6 $39.95
--And I used the Atlas that is in the library instead of buying it

For PBL you have to have the required textbooks because that is what you assign readings for after you do a case. I bought all my books online at amzon, ebay, etc... I know you are doing anatomy different but are you taking Embryo and Histo with the LDP's?? Did they give you guys the PBL book list yet??

Hope that helps if you have any other questions just ask!!​

To answer you question the books that I bought were:
--Gray's Anatomy for Students Drake 9781416065920 2 $110.00 ***required
--Supplemental Instruction Guide for Gross Antomy
Bateman Available in Bookstore $7.00 (I assume this is the lab manual for dissections??)
--Langman's Medical Embryology Sadler 9780781790697 11 $62.95 ***required
--Histology: A Text and Atlas Ross 9780781772211 5 $72.95 ***required
--BRS Gross Anatomy Chung 9780781771740 6 $39.95
--And I used the Atlas that is in the library instead of buying it

For PBL you have to have the required textbooks because that is what you assign readings for after you do a case. I bought all my books online at amzon, ebay, etc... I know you are doing anatomy different but are you taking Embryo and Histo with the LDP's?? Did they give you guys the PBL book list yet??​

Hope that helps if you have any other questions just ask!!​

Yes that was the separate PBL book list...thanks for the help

So my originally four year military scholarship representative just told me, TODAY, that they can only give me a 3 year starting summer of 2010!!!! :mad: Does anyone have thoughts on the LECOM financial aid office? I'm gonna contact them and start applying (really late) for a loan but just wondering how the process has gone for any of you?

So my originally four year military scholarship representative just told me, TODAY, that they can only give me a 3 year starting summer of 2010!!!! :mad: Does anyone have thoughts on the LECOM financial aid office? I'm gonna contact them and start applying (really late) for a loan but just wondering how the process has gone for any of you?

Loan process works quickly....appy ASAP and you should be fine.

As far as the pullback on your scholrship, that is bush league? Are you HPSP? Di dyou sign? How can they do that? Does it change your payback? I would check into Army ASR program if all you are going to get is 3 year, you might want to look at it? No military residency and your payback starts while in school. PM me if yoiu want info, but either way sorry to hear you got roached...........

Loan process works quickly....appy ASAP and you should be fine.

As far as the pullback on your scholrship, that is bush league? Are you HPSP? Di dyou sign? How can they do that? Does it change your payback? I would check into Army ASR program if all you are going to get is 3 year, you might want to look at it? No military residency and your payback starts while in school. PM me if yoiu want info, but either way sorry to hear you got roached...........

Thanks a lot, I applied for a loan for this year just in case. I don't understand how it could happen either! I was told I was selected for a 4yr Airforce HPSP then I got that call. I'll know by next week or sure, but honestly if they say they're low on funding I'm sure none is going to show up :( I haven't signed an acceptance letter for it yet so we'll have to see. I'll definitely consider other options if this isn't going the way I want it to.

Hey guys,

I'm a third year, about to move into hospital housing. There isn't room to bring much more than my clothes and a pillow with me, so I'm selling some stuff.
I'm moving Monday afternoon, though, so if you want any of it, call me at 412-719-6516. Thanks and good luck with first year!!

Matching solid wooden desk and dresser:
http://erie.craigslist.org/fuo/1231090143.html

IKEA 5'X5' bookshelf (can hold all of your med school books and more!):
http://erie.craigslist.org/fuo/1231106449.html

I also have a bunch of MSI and MSII books for sale. Call or text me if you want to know which ones and how much...I'll be too busy packing to check back here much.

The first person to buy any of this gets a binder of old tests that my "big" gave me my first year, plus the "gripe" path question book. You can't get either of these things anymore unless it is passed down from classes ahead of you!

Thanks a lot, I applied for a loan for this year just in case. I don't understand how it could happen either! I was told I was selected for a 4yr Airforce HPSP then I got that call. I'll know by next week or sure, but honestly if they say they're low on funding I'm sure none is going to show up :( I haven't signed an acceptance letter for it yet so we'll have to see. I'll definitely consider other options if this isn't going the way I want it to.

That sucks. I was accepted for the Army HPSP and I know a girl who was accepted for a 3.5 year Army HPSP so she has to pay for the first semester with loans. Did you accept the bonus? If you did then even if you have the 3 year scholarship you have to payback 4 years. It may not be worth it then. If I wasn't accepted the first year for HPSP then I don't know if I would've done it at all. Another thing you may want to look into is the FAP program through the military.

When does our health insurance start? I got my card in the mail a few weeks ago but it doesn't have a start date. I want to cancel my current insurance but I don't want a gap in coverage.

That sucks. I was accepted for the Army HPSP and I know a girl who was accepted for a 3.5 year Army HPSP so she has to pay for the first semester with loans. Did you accept the bonus? If you did then even if you have the 3 year scholarship you have to payback 4 years. It may not be worth it then. If I wasn't accepted the first year for HPSP then I don't know if I would've done it at all. Another thing you may want to look into is the FAP program through the military.

Nice to hear someone else has the same thoughts I do... I didn't sign acceptance for the HPSP scholarship yet but I DID sign the for the bonus, because I thought I got a four year scholarship, right? Man I had no idea they could change that out of nowhere to a 3 year. So I agree with you, the bonus is not worth an extra year. They are supposed to work on changing it back to a 4 yr and will let me know this week. Wish me luck and hanks for your input! Either way Woohoo for our class 2013, that's something I'm definitely proud to say I'm a part of for sure!

Last edited:
Nice to hear someone else has the same thoughts I do... I didn't sign acceptance for the HPSP scholarship yet but I DID sign the for the bonus, because I thought I got a four year scholarship, right? Man I had no idea they could change that out of nowhere to a 3 year. So I agree with you, the bonus is not worth an extra year. They are supposed to work on changing it back to a 4 yr and will let me know this week. Wish me luck and hanks for your input! Either way Woohoo for our class 2013, that's something I'm definitely proud to say I'm a part of for sure!

Holy S***, I still cant believe that they did that??? I never heard of the 3 or 3.5 year gig. When I was looking at the HPSP for AF they said they were way under what they needed and they were frothing all over the place....I never got the impression funding was an issue.

My big concern though is why this is islated to you? Did anyone else get the gaff like this? Not trying to drag this out, but something does not smell right. If not everyone got the gaff then who and why you??

Either way, us lecom milmeds should link up for a howl at the moon before class starts...........:D

Yea I agree with ya on that. I've been chatting with another girl in our class who is also Army HPSP and we were talking about getting all the milmed's together and going out.

ooo a gathering of milmed students. I'm down

great way to end the summer, especially for those of us that are MS0's...a perfect ending to the summer of George.............cause life ends in a little over 30 days. Summer of George!

ps.how many milmeds do you think there are??

I'd imagine there are quite a few of us milmeds. I've talked to a couple people in our class about why I chose the Army over the other branches. We can probably get a good gathering of people to come and not limit it to MS-1's either.

I'd imagine there are quite a few of us milmeds. I've talked to a couple people in our class about why I chose the Army over the other branches. We can probably get a good gathering of people to come and not limit it to MS-1's either.
Well at the welcome to LECOM BBQ which will be held on friday of your first week you'll have a chance to talk to the milmed club officers but I don't see why we can't have a meeting outside of that. Although I don't think that many of them will be in town (for the army at least ) until halfway through your first week of classes, most are in Tx going through OBLC