LECOM-Erie Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, So today I spoke to the biggest b--ch in Erie, PA...

...apparently she works for LECOM in their admissions office.

All the time and money I spend applying to medical school and you are rude and get upset when I have to call and correct your mistake? I have been nice and polite to so many people (yourself included, Erie lady!) that could potentially impact a decision made regarding my status it just goes to show you there are people out there that make it mighty difficult.

My desire to go to this school vanished almost instantaneously.

If one person is going to effect your desire to go to a school, then you will find yourself unhappy about every school. You will find a lot of less than nice people throughout this process, but it is your job to be nice to them. Learn to live with it.

Members don't see this ad.

39% seems low!

i was hoping it would be at least half...well i guess i need to look more in to their app procedures.

I interviewed on October 1. Has anyone heard anything from them yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what day does the LECOM admissions committee meet?

I recall the admissions office saying something about Wednesday, but I don't remember exactly :(.

Anybody know what day does the LECOM admissions committee meet?

I recall the admissions office saying something about Wednesday, but I don't remember exactly :(.

Wednesday is also what I've heard.

How long does it take to hear if you've been accepted after the interview?

what's the point of the general surgery rotation? do family practitioners do surgery...?

It took me two weeks

i just moved my interview from december 3 to november 8th...i kind of thought that december was getting towards the late end of the cycle, i figured it's better to interview and get reviewed asap.. I'm not sure how LECOM works so i dont know if this will help a lot or not...anyone know? is anyone else interviewing on the 8th??

i just moved my interview from december 3 to november 8th...i kind of thought that december was getting towards the late end of the cycle, i figured it's better to interview and get reviewed asap.. I'm not sure how LECOM works so i dont know if this will help a lot or not...anyone know? is anyone else interviewing on the 8th??

My husband was actually scheduled for November 8 but moved it to December 7. Please let me get an interview soon!!

My husband was actually scheduled for November 8 but moved it to December 7. Please let me get an interview soon!!

Me Also.... :D

EEL08, don't worry I think you will hear pretty soon, I assure you...:thumbup:

you guys should be fine.

I had very average ( if that ) stats and I was complete only 2-3 weeks ago and got an interview. the process is just a crap shoot. good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Me Also.... :D

EEL08, don't worry I think you will hear pretty soon, I assure you...:thumbup:

Thanks! And definitely you should get one too. Even if I end up getting interviews later I'm still going to be hopeful. I am biting the bullet and will register for the January MCAT on October 30. I know I will score higher so as long as I'm not straight out rejected I can redeem myself. If someone could just let my 2.5 year old and 13 month old know how important it is that I have study time I'd really appreciate it! :laugh:

you guys should be fine.

I had very average ( if that ) stats and I was complete only 2-3 weeks ago and got an interview. the process is just a crap shoot. good luck :thumbup:

With an emphasis on the crap. :laugh: Ahhh I crack myself up. Now I'm starting to think I have too much time on my hands.

I was interviewed in May, and wait listed, and contacted by second week in June for acceptance. They are always looking, so it only helps if you're that what fits. They accept all the way through. It will help in that you wont be wait listed, which usually starts about april'ish, when just about everyone is wait listed(theoretically)

anyone interviewing on monday 10.22 with me? see ya there!

Congrats to all who have gotten interviews. To answer some questions I've seen so far here is some info,

They accepted 270ish for the class of 2011, About 50 in PBL, 50 in ISP, and the rest in LDP. They will explain the differences of the pathways during your interview, but if you want a students perspective, especially about PBL then give me a shout.

If you get an interview than you have a really great chance of being accepted. During my interview 2 years ago they said that they interviewed just over 900 people, and accepted 700ish. When you get the letter in the mail, the spot is pretty much yours, they just want to make sure you’re not a radiating pompous ass, and/or that you are able to remember to sallow your own saliva. Make sure that when you show up that you are well groomed and well dressed. I have heard stories from the facility of students not being accepted for not showing up in at least LECOM dress code and for having dirty finger nails. So get a suit and trim your nails!

If you have any more questions just post’em.

Colbert 08

Wait, why would they accept 700 students but matriculated only 270 something?

Not everyone who is accepted goes to the school. You have to assume that a good chunk of people have multiple acceptances and then choose to go elsewhere. Of the 900 people who were interviewed they offered about 700 seats, but only 270 said yes. But once again that was the number for the class of 2009, what it would be for your class I have no idea.

Those who are accepted have to complete an obstacle course to actually matriculate.

Frick! Frick! Frick! there is always a catch!!!! :laugh:

Well if thats what it takes then I am all down for it. Hopefully they don't have rules against dirty play because I going to use some old tricks I have learned in my long, 22 years of life.... :D

Obstacle course = Deposit, Financial aid, titers and vacancies, drug and alcohol test, bunch of contracts you gotta sign (dress code, honor code, matriculation agreement, etc), physical, background check, getting set up with LECOM security (door pass, parking pass, ect), and getting your final transcripts sent in.

Be warned! The admissions office tends to lose a lot of paperwork! So make sure you make a copy of EVERYTHING you send them, especially your drug test, alcohol test, titers and vacancies. I had to repeat my alcohol test 5 months after I started and had to have my transcript resent because they lost it, and had several of my friends who had to get lab work redrawn as well, and of course we the students had to pay for the retest.

Anybody else hear from them yet, I am still waiting :(

Although my file was suppose to be complete on 9/28, but actually was complete on 10/15. So I guess I need to wait longer...

Anybody that interviewed on 10/19 heard anything back yet? The suspense is killing me. From what I have heard and seen it takes about two weeks, but I don't know if I can wait that long. :eek::confused::(

skipped my interview, i hope they aren't to mad :(

i decided last minute that i didnt want to go there (since ive already been accepted elsewhere and Erie was never high on my list)

Maybe thats why they accept 700 students, LOL.

But Belichek thats not a good thing to skip, you should have canceled it earlier if you never had that much of a desire to go there. Whatever, whats done is done. I on the other hand have Erie high on my list... :D

i decided last minute that i didnt want to go there (since ive already been accepted elsewhere and Erie was never high on my list)

I think the point is that desi or I could have used that spot. :D

EEL08 I will let you cut in front of me, since I already have other interviews lined up.... ;)

(SEE I'm a nice guy, so why does my gf not believe I am? :confused:)

Do you guys think it's too late to apply?

I definitely don't think so, their secondary deadline is in April.

Hello everyone, I am interviewing next monday the 29th. Does anyone who already interviewed have some good advice for me? :)

Thanks!

Okay, I just got their interview packet, and the heavily-criticized "3-year degree" doesn't look bad at all. That is, for someone who is certain that they want to go into primary care.

As far as I can tell, its just a regular medical school curriculum, but they take away the elective rotations, and load you up with rotations that will prepare you for primary care. They also don't give you a summer break after year 1. My guess is that you'd have to do a rotating year after it too, so it isn't all that unlike a 4-year program, but you only pay for 3 years.

I have no desire whatsoever to do this, as I am fairly certain that primary care is not for me. But I think that it can educate a primary care physician more than adequately.

Thanks Desi! I had some financial changes that occurred so I wasn't able to apply to all the school at once. I only applied to 2 as of now and going to add more within the next couple of weeks.

I interviewed there last Friday and they more or less ask those standard questions.

1. Tell us something not in your file

2. Talk about your healthcare experience.

3. Why medicine?

4. Why osteopathic medicine and how do you see it as being holistic and beneficial?

5. How do you handle stress?

6. Give an example of how your communication skills helped you / someone else?

7. Give 3 strengths and 1 weakness.

8. Talk about your leadership roles. How are you a leader and a team player?

9. Tell us about a conflict you had and how you resolved it.

10. Which pathway do you prefer and why?

Actually, I was asked every question except 2 and 3. BUT keep in mind that these are not always asked verbatim. For example, instead of being asked why I wanted to be an osteopathic doctor, I was asked WHO inspired me to be one. Don't worry - you'll be fine. Everyone was great and nice. All the interviewees seemed to be having a good time. Good luck!!

p.s. They have someone talk in depth about PBL as well. However, they mentioned that most students pick the lecture pathway. The fourth pathway is the Primary Care Scholars Program, which is an accelerated program for students pursuing primary care.

The above is what I posted a while back about my interview. Hope it helps.

LECOM uses those ten questions for all the interviews. Know them!!! GL Also, you will have to summarize an article. It isn't too bad, and they said it isn't weighted too heavily.

Congrats Tex (I guess both Lecoms are showing you some love), mind sharing when you became complete at Erie?

I got the e-mail saying I was complete Oct. 17, and the letter they sent me for the interview invitation is dated that same day.

I know two docs (ER and Family Med... Husband and wife) who went to LECOM-Erie, so I am kind of interested. They are really nice.

Depending on what the schools look for, a lot of them either love me or hate me right away. I've gotten a few pre-secondary rejections, and a few instant interview invites.

Nice!!

I got the complete email on 10/15 and called today but was told my application still hasn't been reviewed. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. :(:(

That's weird. I was complete a couple days after you, and got the interview invite immediately. And its not like you've got bad numbers.

EEL08 I will let you cut in front of me, since I already have other interviews lined up.... ;)

(SEE I'm a nice guy, so why does my gf not believe I am? :confused:)

Thanks desi! You're the best! :D

Keeping my fingers crossed for an interview invite this week.... :thumbup:

Keeping my fingers crossed for an interview invite this week.... :thumbup:

I wonder why you havent heard yet. I got an invite even before my LORs got there. Have you contacted them recently? But not to worry, Erie has a reputation for being a bit unorganized.

I called them last Thursday and was told my app. still hasn't been reviewed yet. Ughh!!! for some reason its just keeps popping up in my head, why haven't I gotten an interview so far for LECOM. I just need to stop worrying and try focusing on my other interviews :(

I don't understand why you aren't getting more love. Your stats aren't great, but I think they're good enough. You look as good as or better than some other people who have gotten a few looks. And you have gotten a few, but I'd have to think its only a matter of time before a few of these other places give you some attention.

Thanks Tex.

I was thinking if I don't hear from Lecom by the end of this week I will probably add couple more schools to AACOMAS and send in the NOVA secondary. Its just right now I am too poor, so don't want to spend any more money on applications if I don't have too.

Thanks PSU04 for posting those questions and Jpc984 for the advice.:) They said it would take about 3 weeks to find out.

Did you guys get accepted already?

Also did anyone else on here interview on 10/29?