LECOM-Erie Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody going to be there with me?

Do they still ask the 9 standard questions to people? I read this around March...

If so, does anyone have a list of them?

I'm not actually but I was wondering if you'll be flying directly into Erie or somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Erie International Airport (ERI)

Ill be there friday you will have to let me know how it goes! I had an amazing time at Bradenton so I expect good things from Erie!

Did they explain their PBL program in detail?

Did they explain their PBL program in detail?

oh ya, plus we had the opportunity to sit in on and participate in a full 2 hour PBL session. I was really impressed with PBL

oh ya, plus we had the opportunity to sit in on and participate in a full 2 hour PBL session. I was really impressed with PBL

Awww...you guys didn't want to come in and sit in on 4 straight hours of lecture?? :p

So on my Interview invite letter it says I have to rank the FOUR distinct learning pathways according to my preference. The packet they provided with the descirptions only has THREE and their website only lists THREE. So ya, I'm a bit confused.....can anyone clear this up ?

Lecture/Discussion Pathway
Problem-Based Pathway
Independent Study Pathway
????

So I was looking over the pathways and it says there are 4, but I only have a packet describing 3; am I missing one or being totally oblivious to the fact.

Problem-Based Pathway
????

Primary Care Scholars (something like that)

Do you think they accept more of a certain pathway than others, i.e. are more lecture based accepted than pbl or IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received four program descriptions in my packet (I'll be interviewing Oct. 18th); could have simply been an oversight.

Did you guys receive an interview invite via snail mail?

Do you think they except more of a certain pathway than others, i.e. are more lecture based accepted than pbl or IS?
There are usually more LDP but they take into consideration what people are interested in as well. I think someone said they take something like 50 PBL, 25 or so ISP and rest LDP for this year. I think they evaluate you and your application to see if you'd be a good fit.

Does LECOM review your application even before all of your LORs are in? In my email it says they will notify me after my application is reviewed.

Does LECOM review your application even before all of your LORs are in? In my email it says they will notify me after my application is reviewed.

I would say yes but I'm not exactly sure how they do it. My husband doesn't have any of his LORs in yet but got an invite this week.

Anybody going to be there with me?

Do they still ask the 9 standard questions to people? I read this around March...

If so, does anyone have a list of them?

I interviewed there last Friday and they more or less ask those standard questions.

1. Tell us something not in your file

2. Talk about your healthcare experience.

3. Why medicine?

4. Why osteopathic medicine and how do you see it as being holistic and beneficial?

5. How do you handle stress?

6. Give an example of how your communication skills helped you / someone else?

7. Give 3 strengths and 1 weakness.

8. Talk about your leadership roles. How are you a leader and a team player?

9. Tell us about a conflict you had and how you resolved it.

10. Which pathway do you prefer and why?

Actually, I was asked every question except 2 and 3. BUT keep in mind that these are not always asked verbatim. For example, instead of being asked why I wanted to be an osteopathic doctor, I was asked WHO inspired me to be one. Don't worry - you'll be fine. Everyone was great and nice. All the interviewees seemed to be having a good time. Good luck!!

p.s. They have someone talk in depth about PBL as well. However, they mentioned that most students pick the lecture pathway. The fourth pathway is the Primary Care Scholars Program, which is an accelerated program for students pursuing primary care.

There are currently about 40 PBLers and 30 ISPers. From what my classmates say, PBL is a good pathway, but there is a lot more work involved during the first 12 weeks than the administration lets on. The PBL students are reading an additional 150-200 pages of material, which they are being tested on separately. A couple students said they just have to sacrifice some of their PBL grade in order to stay on top of Gross Anatomy, Embryo, and Histo, as well as the other classes they throw at you like OPP, spirituality/medicine/ethics, and health care management. I think several of the students would not have picked PBL had they known there would be so much work right off the bat. ISP is like they advertised, which is it doesn't start until the CORE classes are done, which in our case takes 12 weeks.

As for being selected into a particular pathway, as long as you have interviewed early, state what pathway you want, you will almost likely get it. Many of the ISP students do not have significant clinical backgrounds or families which is what they say makes you a good candidate. Just ask, and you shall receive(as long as you get in, of course:))

Why would you be considered a better candidate for ISP if you don't have a family?

No then mean that the rumor is that most of the people in ISP have sig clinical experience or a family.

I guess I'm just reading it wrong. Thanks!

LECOM's website doesn't mention anything like this nor does my packet....

Yes the class is definitely mostly LDP, but for the first 12 weeks everyone is together. And if you are wondering about the lack of information for PCSP its because this year is the first year they are offering it (my class, so they will graduate in 2010 because it is a 3 year program). I think there are currently 6 students in it.

Also, I was looking at what people wrote in the interview feedback section, and regarding anatomy lab I saw "4 groups of 4 people per cadaver" and also "5-6 people per cadaver". Is that what they are telling people? When I am at lab, it is me and my 3 group members, so 4 people total. There are THREE lab sections, so its my 4 group members, then when we leave, another group of 4 comes in and looks at our body, then they leave and 4 more people come in. There are a few groups of 5, but not many. A group of 6 people does not exist. Just wanted to explain that.

Come on LECOM send me a interview invite already dammit... LOL

You said they sent you an e-mail right? What did it say?

Next time I will hear from them is after my file is reviewed (so basically meaning stop bothering us, you neurotic pre-med). blahhh!!! :mad:

So on my Interview invite letter it says I have to rank the FOUR distinct learning pathways according to my preference. The packet they provided with the descirptions only has THREE and their website only lists THREE. So ya, I'm a bit confused.....can anyone clear this up ?

Problem-Based Pathway
????

The 4th one is Primary scholars program. It is a 3 year program. I didn't see it at first either.

Next time I will hear from them is after my file is reviewed (so basically meaning stop bothering us, you neurotic pre-med). blahhh!!! :mad:

Okay so it was in response to you e-mailing them? My husband got an e-mail from them reminding him to get his LORs in then about a week later he got an interview invite. I just got that e-mail yesterday so I'm really really hoping I will also get an interview.

Okay so it was in response to you e-mailing them? My husband got an e-mail from them reminding him to get his LORs in then about a week later he got an interview invite. I just got that e-mail yesterday so I'm really really hoping I will also get an interview.

'Dear Applicant -- Letters of recommendation have been received. You will be notified when the admissions committee has reviewed your file. Thank you for your interest in LECOM Erie.'

This is what my email said. I emailed them asking if my file is complete or not. So this was their response. Was yours similar?

'Dear Applicant -- Letters of recommendation have been received. You will be notified when the admissions committee has reviewed your file. Thank you for your interest in LECOM Erie.'

This is what my email said. I emailed them asking if my file is complete or not. So this was their response. Was yours similar?

This is what my e-mail said, and I didn't e-mail them first:

Dear Applicant,

Your application for the entering class 2008 has been received. The admissions office has not received any letters of recommendation. Please submit as soon as possible. In addition you are deficient 3 credit hours of English. LECOM does not accept CLEP credit. Good luck.

Since we're comparing e-mails we're definitely neurotic premeds!!

This is what my e-mail said, and I didn't e-mail them first:
Dear Applicant,
Your application for the entering class 2008 has been received. The admissions office has not received any letters of recommendation. Please submit as soon as possible. In addition you are deficient 3 credit hours of English. LECOM does not accept CLEP credit. Good luck.

Since we're comparing e-mails we're definitely neurotic premeds!!

I got the same exact one on Sept 17. The title of the email was scary I was like OMG deficiencies, whattttt!!! Since then I think they got all of my application materials, and MCAT score (I hope so :D)

"Subject: Application Status LECOM Erie--Deficiencies

Dear Applicant,

Your application for the entering class 2008 has been received. The admissions office has not received any letters of recommendation. Please submit as soon as possible. In addition we have not received scores from the August 2007 MCAT administration. Your application has been placed on hold pending receipt of the MCAT scores. Please submit. Good luck. Elaine Morse, Admissions Coordinator "

I got the same exact one on Sept 17. The title of the email was scary I was like OMG deficiencies, whattttt!!! Since then I think they got all of my application materials, and MCAT score (I hope so :D)

"Subject: Application Status LECOM Erie--Deficiencies

Dear Applicant,

Your application for the entering class 2008 has been received. The admissions office has not received any letters of recommendation. Please submit as soon as possible. In addition we have not received scores from the August 2007 MCAT administration. Your application has been placed on hold pending receipt of the MCAT scores. Please submit. Good luck. Elaine Morse, Admissions Coordinator "

Yeah that freaked me out at first too! It's so hard to be patient and I'm not even complete anywhere yet. It's going to be a long semester.

That is exactly what the email they sent me said. I sent my LOR's via Interfolio like 3 weeks before I got that email. Little slow I guess.

I interviewed there last Friday and they more or less ask those standard questions.

1. Tell us something not in your file

2. Talk about your healthcare experience.

3. Why medicine?

4. Why osteopathic medicine and how do you see it as being holistic and beneficial?

5. How do you handle stress?

6. Give an example of how your communication skills helped you / someone else?

7. Give 3 strengths and 1 weakness.

8. Talk about your leadership roles. How are you a leader and a team player?

9. Tell us about a conflict you had and how you resolved it.

10. Which pathway do you prefer and why?

Actually, I was asked every question except 2 and 3. BUT keep in mind that these are not always asked verbatim. For example, instead of being asked why I wanted to be an osteopathic doctor, I was asked WHO inspired me to be one. Don't worry - you'll be fine. Everyone was great and nice. All the interviewees seemed to be having a good time. Good luck!!

p.s. They have someone talk in depth about PBL as well. However, they mentioned that most students pick the lecture pathway. The fourth pathway is the Primary Care Scholars Program, which is an accelerated program for students pursuing primary care.

Thanks for the heads up with the interview questions... I'm heading up there this Friday for my interview and I'll try to make note of what mine are like. But having the questions and time to practice really helps...

They read it from a list. Those were my questions...

They read it from a list. Those were my questions...

Same here, they pretty much stayed on script. Bradenton asked the questions but they also took the time to find out more about me, asking more questions and harder ones too.

Anyone interested in this pathway can shoot off questions and I'll answer them best I can. I'm one of the sitting candidates for the PCSP program and we'll know this week who they are.

Realize that when you pick it, you pick either LDP or ISP PCSP, this is because if you don't get into the PCSP program that is where you'll fall back to after CORE.

Anyway, it's even better than it was at the end of summer, they've put a lot og work into it. The biggest issues are, 1) it's 3 years, no summers longer than 2 weeks. 2) Your tradeoff is that you must go in LECOMs OPTI for residency, and there are 5 sites. 5 have family med, and 2 have internal med. 1 is supposed to have peds soon, but we're not 100% yet. 3)You still have to match, but supposedly we get preference, they work closely with the DMEs.

So, plan on staying in the area for a while. Don't try and ask about going elsewhere, it's just part of the way the program was designed and accepted by the AOA.

Anyway, shoot away if you have questions.

Keithengineer

disadvantage: HPSP scholarships do not work with the program.

how much room is there to answer the secondary questions in the application? In the document where it lists the questions it does not say a word limit or character limit. Ive written about half of a page for each question.

how much room is there to answer the secondary questions in the application? In the document where it lists the questions it does not say a word limit or character limit. Ive written about half of a page for each question.

You'll have plenty of room, I think mine were about a page and there was still room left.

Anyone still waiting on their DO letter? I sent the Erie form to my doctor at the end of August, and despite my nagging, he still hasn't done it. I've interviewed and it is the only thing preventing my file from going to the committee. :mad: I'm almost ready to find a new DO and have him/her type up a new reference for me. Sorry to vent but has anyone else had to wait this long?

Anyone still waiting on their DO letter? I sent the Erie form to my doctor at the end of August, and despite my nagging, he still hasn't done it. I've interviewed and it is the only thing preventing my file from going to the committee. :mad: I'm almost ready to find a new DO and have him/her type up a new reference for me. Sorry to vent but has anyone else had to wait this long?

I'm still waiting on my DO letter too. Unfortunately though I don't have any interview invites yet. My husband will be e-mailing the DO tonight because she was supposed to have his letter by the Sept 30th and Interfolio hasn't received it yet. Hopefully that will get the ball rolling if she hasn't done them yet. Oh and actually my husband does have an Erie interview scheduled already but he's a better candidate than I am.

I thought you said his interview was a week or two ago? When is it?

I thought you said his interview was a week or two ago? When is it?

He just got the invite a couple weeks ago. They scheduled it for 11/8 but that's a day he teaches so he had to reschedule and the soonest they had after that was 12/7.

hey guys..

just got my interview today for 12/3, i was wondering :

what's the matchup for interviewing and getting accepted?

does lecom accept roughly 30%, 50%, 75% of interviewees, etc..? anyone know?
thanks!

I think I talked to the same lady. I got an e-mail from them saying that they didn't have my letters of recommendation, which I sent in on Sept. 25, so I called them to see if they could double-check for them. She wasn't particularly nice, but I don't really care. I suggest you grow some thicker skin, because clinical rotations through residency is all about getting treated like ****. No room for sensitive people.

hey guys..

just got my interview today for 12/3, i was wondering :

what's the matchup for interviewing and getting accepted?

does lecom accept roughly 30%, 50%, 75% of interviewees, etc..? anyone know?
thanks!

I think it is roughly 39% if your OOS.