LECOM-Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisRobs01

Walter Zoebchek
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been granted an interview at LECOM. I have been accepted to other schools and have been doing research all over the web including SDN concerning the school. I have read all of the threads, most of which have been negative. However, my research has shown that the school has wonderful clinical rotation sites along with an understanding that these rotations will make or brake an individual. The school seems to have a solid educational mission as well. I understand that animosity exists torwards the school, but I have found no pertinent information concerning the types of physicians the school graduates. For those who attend the school I understand your anger, but how effective do you feel your skills will be in the future. I don't care about the rules. What has positively and negatively influenced your stay in Erie. In truth, I have read plenty of negative and would like to know some of the other aspects within the school's educational mission. Please let me know, your time and opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry for being off-topic but how recently were you granted an interview and when were you complete, i am waiting on LECOM-Erie, thanx.

I just got the interview last week. Quite frankly I had thought that my file was kind of lost. I had not heard a thing from the school and then one day just got a letter in the mail

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the interview last week. Quite frankly I had thought that my file was kind of lost. I had not heard a thing from the school and then one day just got a letter in the mail

last question, when did u submit your stuff to LECOM?

I would say sometime in October. What all schools including this are you looking at?

I'm a LECOM MS4, and I just accepted a prematch position at my first choice internal medicine program so I am happy as a clam. My classmates have had some impressive interviews at Mass General, CHOP, Johns Hopkins to name a few. Several have also taken prematch spots.

I really think that most people's success in medical school is more related to his or her personal strengths than to strengths of their particular school. I got my prematch spot because I consistently wowed my attendings on rounds by reading constantly, showing interest and enthusiasm, and working well with my team. I am grateful to LECOM for the chance to attend medical school, but it wasn't like LECOM put the answers in my mouth.

LECOM gets criticized for many reasons, but I've always thought they do a "good cop, bad cop" kind of routine. They lay down all these rules, but do not really enforce them. Then a couple students take advantage or screw up, and the school responds by giving more rules, which pisses off the students who've been toeing the line the whole time.

The best way to be successful at LECOM is to pass your tests, follow the dress code, be respectful of your professors and staff, and turn in all your rotations paperwork on time.

I wish that they had a little more career advising in our third and fourth years, but I believe that is a problem at ALL osteopathic schools. I also chose to do rotations far away from Erie, so I didn't really try to ask any LECOM clinicians for career advice anyway.

At this point, I am more annoyed at the people who run the AOA. I wish there was no osteopathic internship requirement and that the match was combined.

I wish all of you premeds the best of luck. One of the best parts of osteopathic medicine is that all of us DOs stick together and help each other. So say no to school bashing! It's just not very osteopathic of you.

I'm a LECOM MS4, and I just accepted a prematch position at my first choice internal medicine program so I am happy as a clam. My classmates have had some impressive interviews at Mass General, CHOP, Johns Hopkins to name a few. Several have also taken prematch spots.

I really think that most people's success in medical school is more related to his or her personal strengths than to strengths of their particular school. I got my prematch spot because I consistently wowed my attendings on rounds by reading constantly, showing interest and enthusiasm, and working well with my team. I am grateful to LECOM for the chance to attend medical school, but it wasn't like LECOM put the answers in my mouth.

LECOM gets criticized for many reasons, but I've always thought they do a "good cop, bad cop" kind of routine. They lay down all these rules, but do not really enforce them. Then a couple students take advantage or screw up, and the school responds by giving more rules, which pisses off the students who've been toeing the line the whole time.

The best way to be successful at LECOM is to pass your tests, follow the dress code, be respectful of your professors and staff, and turn in all your rotations paperwork on time.

I wish that they had a little more career advising in our third and fourth years, but I believe that is a problem at ALL osteopathic schools. I also chose to do rotations far away from Erie, so I didn't really try to ask any LECOM clinicians for career advice anyway.

At this point, I am more annoyed at the people who run the AOA. I wish there was no osteopathic internship requirement and that the match was combined.

I wish all of you premeds the best of luck. One of the best parts of osteopathic medicine is that all of us DOs stick together and help each other. So say no to school bashing! It's just not very osteopathic of you.

Nice post! Your perspective might be well appreciated on the LECOM class of 2011 thread, if you feel like stopping by.

I'm really not sure why Lecom gets such a bad reputation. I was in the class of 2006 and I think that I was given the appropriate tools to prepare myself for life as a resident. Anyone who interviews at Lecom is aware of the attendance policy (which is minimally enforced) and the dress code. If you have a problem with these things, apply somewhere else. I never really had a problem with the dress code, because it is a professional school. Additionally, as a PBL student, I wasn't on campus all that much after the first 12 weeks of MSI, so it didn't pertain to me as much. (My dress code at home was pajamas!):D

Some things that I really like about Lecom -Erie... 1) They have a commitment to the underprivileged in the town. Students are encouraged to participate in their tutoring program for poor kids. The kids who participate in the tutoring program get some type of tuition break if they go to college and are accepted at Lecom in the future.

2) Clinical education - From the first month of medical school, we (PBL) were trained to think like clinicians, not just students. I feel that our program really prepared me well for rotations, and for residency.

3) They are progressive in their thinking about education. There are 3 pathways students to choose from. They have just introduced a pilot program to reduce educational costs for students who want to enter primary care. Training primary care physicians is part of Lecom's mission, and I think that they do a rather good job of it.

4) Board prep - At no additional cost to us (thank God!), Lecom brought in Kaplan people to prep us for the pathology and pharmacology portions of our Step I exam. I found that incredibly helpful, unexpected, and generous of the administration.

Keep in mind that you get out of medical school exactly what you put into it. No medical school is going to be able to teach you the incredible amount of information you need to know if you aren't putting a ton of effort into it. Moaning and groaning about the dress code and attendance policies is a good way to blow off steam when you feel overwhelmed by the amount of work you have to do. Most of the students find that they really don't care all that much when it's said and done. It really is all about the piece of paper at the end. Good luck with your decision, and feel free to PM me with questions.:luck:

Thank you to all for the time and effort that was put into this post so far. It has been very helpful!

Did you ever see the movie Europa Europa. If not, rent it. In this movie where there is this young jewish boy (Solly) who escaped Germany during WWII and lived in a russian orphanage. While in classes one day, a co-orphan/classmate challenges the philosophies of what he is learning and insist that there is a God and that religion is real. Our main character Solly is hesistant to agree because he is in good with the schoolmaster and knows that he would be punished/embarrassed severely if he admits that he has any thoughts toward his jewish faith.

So the polish boy who started the whole problem is forced to embarrass himself, stand up in front of the class and yell out, "God bring us candies from the sky!" Of course, nothing happens and the kid is the center of ridicule and laughed at. Then the schoolmaster ask all of the other kids to yell out, "Stalin, bring us candies from the sky". Of course, a bunch of school officials are hiding in the ventilation system and dump candies all over the ground further embarrassing our young polish boy who questioned communism to begin with.

This is kind of like the dynamics at LECOM. Dr. John is Stalin and Dr. Sylvia is the schoolmaster. You are the orphans at their mercy.

I will say this, the school has progressed since I have graduated. I think they finally learned that a formal board review was appropriate and I can tell you that even after my first year they changed the curriculum for the better, not for the worse. The best way I can explain it is kind of like this. You make legitimate complaints or make good suggestions which are shot down. The next thing you know, they are doing those things. It is not a bad school and my education there was solid. But the first two years was miserable for a lot of other reason I do not want to get into.

Think of it this way, most MS start in their mid 20's. At this time in your life, things happen: family crisis, medical problems, you name it, things that can easily interfere with your performance. LECOM is not very supportive of this at all. Example, I had to beg the school to excuse me from graduation when my wife was just a few days post-partum and my son was bronze and in a NICU.

In general, the school generated a lot of parnoid behaviors. When they opened up the new addition in my second year, there were students that swore we were being watched and that there were cameras in the restrooms. Some people who were suffering academically were afraid to even go out for a beer scarred out of there mind that "Sylvia will find out". Others wouldn't even wear a LECOM shirt in public because they were frightened that if they did anything stupid while wearing it, they would get in trouble with the school. Does that all seem ridiculous? Sure, but it is true, at least back when I was there.

If you have a legitimate concern that you want to address to the dean, provost, and vice president (all the same person). You have to get buzzed into a locked down office bunker and go through two securities clearances to see her, that is, after you make an appointment. As if she is that damn important.

Oh, when I was a student there, the president and vice-president,( brother and sister, how convienant right) decided that the new entrance to the school was going to be the equivalent of a fine art museum that included marble carvings of themselves. I am not sure, but this became such a joke that I don't think it ever happened. There used to be a web link to the construction company that was going to perform this project showing their tentative work. After the link got passed around a few times between students, and a lot of jokes were made, the Nazi's blocked the web link on their server.

So, lets us go back to our example of Europa Europa. If you enjoyed the Hitler Youth school and are dedicated the the Fuhrer, then this school is for you. If not, get away from it. But if you do go there, PM me so that I can at least guide you how to get through the hell and make sure you don't make the same mistakes that I made.

Did you ever see the movie Europa Europa. If not, rent it. In this movie where there is this young jewish boy (Solly) who escaped Germany during WWII and lived in a russian orphanage. While in classes one day, a co-orphan/classmate challenges the philosophies of what he is learning and insist that there is a God and that religion is real. Our main character Solly is hesistant to agree because he is in good with the schoolmaster and knows that he would be punished/embarrassed severely if he admits that he has any thoughts toward his jewish faith.

So the polish boy who started the whole problem is forced to embarrass himself, stand up in front of the class and yell out, "God bring us candies from the sky!" Of course, nothing happens and the kid is the center of ridicule and laughed at. Then the schoolmaster ask all of the other kids to yell out, "Stalin, bring us candies from the sky". Of course, a bunch of school officials are hiding in the ventilation system and dump candies all over the ground further embarrassing our young polish boy who questioned communism to begin with.

This is kind of like the dynamics at LECOM. Dr. John is Stalin and Dr. Sylvia is the schoolmaster. You are the orphans at their mercy.

I will say this, the school has progressed since I have graduated. I think they finally learned that a formal board review was appropriate and I can tell you that even after my first year they changed the curriculum for the better, not for the worse. The best way I can explain it is kind of like this. You make legitimate complaints or make good suggestions which are shot down. The next thing you know, they are doing those things. It is not a bad school and my education there was solid. But the first two years was miserable for a lot of other reason I do not want to get into.

Think of it this way, most MS start in their mid 20's. At this time in your life, things happen: family crisis, medical problems, you name it, things that can easily interfere with your performance. LECOM is not very supportive of this at all. Example, I had to beg the school to excuse me from graduation when my wife was just a few days post-partum and my son was bronze and in a NICU.

In general, the school generated a lot of parnoid behaviors. When they opened up the new addition in my second year, there were students that swore we were being watched and that there were cameras in the restrooms. Some people who were suffering academically were afraid to even go out for a beer scarred out of there mind that "Sylvia will find out". Others wouldn't even wear a LECOM shirt in public because they were frightened that if they did anything stupid while wearing it, they would get in trouble with the school. Does that all seem ridiculous? Sure, but it is true, at least back when I was there.

If you have a legitimate concern that you want to address to the dean, provost, and vice president (all the same person). You have to get buzzed into a locked down office bunker and go through two securities clearances to see her, that is, after you make an appointment. As if she is that damn important.

Oh, when I was a student there, the president and vice-president,( brother and sister, how convienant right) decided that the new entrance to the school was going to be the equivalent of a fine art museum that included marble carvings of themselves. I am not sure, but this became such a joke that I don't think it ever happened. There used to be a web link to the construction company that was going to perform this project showing their tentative work. After the link got passed around a few times between students, and a lot of jokes were made, the Nazi's blocked the web link on their server.

So, lets us go back to our example of Europa Europa. If you enjoyed the Hitler Youth school and are dedicated the the Fuhrer, then this school is for you. If not, get away from it. But if you do go there, PM me so that I can at least guide you how to get through the hell and make sure you don't make the same mistakes that I made.

http://www.ajuel.com/Lecom_Marble_Column_Designs.htm

For everyone's viewing pleasure and to get to be the first one to revive it for 2007..

Oh, I never get tired of seeing the marble columns. It's one of my favorite things about Lecom! :)

Our class certainly never worried about going out for a beer. During 2nd year, the entire PBL class went out to the bar at 9 or 10 am (the only place in Erie open that early!) after a test for a couple of drinks before we returned at noon to review the test. Nothing ever came of that. And if you want to find Lecom students on any given Monday night, look no farther than Quarter beer night at the local bar downtown. (What is that place called anyway? Anyone?)

Apparently, Lecom has become a little more laid back in the last few years.

I had personal issues during my fourth year of school (illness in my family). The clinical ed department was more than willing to work with me so that I could take short periods of time off and make it up in a reasonable fashion, and still finish on time. It was never a problem for me, and I felt they were very understanding and supportive.