***LECOM-FL Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Luba Licious said:
Sarasota is one of the most overpriced housing markets in the country. A bunch of rich retired folk live there. A lot of this area is becoming out of reach. I bought my house about two and a half years ago, and there is no way I could afford it if I were looking to buy now. You might have better luck in Ellenton or Ruskin, but if you're looking to buy you will have a commute on a student budget. One thing to consider, the money/time you spend commuting will be recouped when you go to sell, for sure. My house has doubled in value.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess it's all relative depending on how ridiculously overpriced you are used to ;). Moving from Seattle, where the median home price is ~$300,000, Sarasota prices actually don't seem too bad. Both areas have had crazy growth in home value over the last few years. If we decide to look further north or south, how bad is the commute on 75?

Members don't see this ad.

rosepetals said:
Hi Nolan, I want to buy a condo/townhome, and it seems cheaper up north. What area do you think are good to look into, and is anybody also considering buying?
Thanks

I am in the Land O Lakes area, probably a little TOO north of the school for most but I have some good contacts in the general area for buyers, my boyfriend is mortgage broker so let me get a couple of names and number and the such from him, I will repost soon! :p

bodymechanic said:

I guess it's all relative depending on how ridiculously overpriced you are used to ;). Moving from Seattle, where the median home price is ~$300,000, Sarasota prices actually don't seem too bad. Both areas have had crazy growth in home value over the last few years. If we decide to look further north or south, how bad is the commute on 75?

I live in about 60 miles north, a 45 min drive down i-75, and its not bad in the morning. It depends alot on how far you live from I-75, alot of the local roads around tampa, and just north of sarasota can get congested QUICK in the morning and double your drive. For example I work 30 miles from my house, and the drive takes 1-1.5hrs each way due to the long local road I have to take compared to the 60 mile drive taking only 45 mins... (also keep in mind that I have always diven a ways to work/school so this is nothing new to me, if your not good with time, it might not be a good idea for you!)
Let me know where your looking and I will see if I can find out more about that area.
Also from what I have been hearing I think several of the students drive from Tampa everyday, so it must not be that bad of an everyday drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
i can't wait to 'rassle that gator in the back pond, i think his name was "handbag", its a little foggy though

see you guys in july! ..... and its feb :sleep:

bodymechanic said:

Good point, one I hadn't considered. Guess that's why I'm a bad chess player. I live about two miles from I-75 in Riverview. From my on-ramp, it's about 25 miles to the exit for school. Traffic can get congested, but it moves pretty well. It's all three lane, too. And if there are accidents or other bottlenecks, Hwy 301 and Hwy 41 will both take you back to Riverview. I like it here in Riverview...area of huge growth potential. When we moved here, there were nothing but cow pastures. Now we have a Publix grocery store, Lowe's, Wal Mart is coming next month, etc. Property values are going up about 4000 bucks a week, so buy as soon as you can if that's what you want.

bodymechanic said:

Forgot to mention that I live north of Bradenton. If you go any further south than Sarasota, you're talking two lane interstate. I don't know how the traffic moves, but I know someone who commutes 40 miles to Sarasota from North Port everyday. Her house has tripled in the last three years, so the growth there is huge, and there's a ton of construction.

My Fe-Lung said:
i can't wait to 'rassle that gator in the back pond, i think his name was "handbag", its a little foggy though

see you guys in july! ..... and its feb :sleep:

:laugh: handbag :laugh:

Ok, its official. I'm gonna be down in Bradenton looking around on the weekend of March 17-19th. Let me know if anyone else is going to be down there and wants to meet. My future roomie is probably going to come with me too. Does anyone else on here thats going to LECOM live in NC area?

I"M SO EXCITED!!!

Kinga :love:

Oh oh and we could maybe spot handbag while we're down there.. Oh yey! :laugh:

SC is def close. I was thinking about driving down. But its 12 hours away, so now I'm thinking I'm gonna fly down. Thats a heck of a lot of driving. Especially since I could only get away for 4 days.

docKinga said:
SC is def close. I was thinking about driving down. But its 12 hours away, so now I'm thinking I'm gonna fly down. Thats a heck of a lot of driving. Especially since I could only get away for 4 days.

I don't blame you for wanting to fly. I drove down to Miami in October and it nearly killed me. When I went to LECOM-B, I flew Airtran from Charlotte. They've got great rates into Tampa on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with a 10-day notice. I was there and back in less than 24 hours. It beats driving anyday!

Hey Everyone! glad to see a bunch of people on this thread, I can't wait to start and meet everyone in July. see you then!!

scpod said:
I don't blame you for wanting to fly. I drove down to Miami in October and it nearly killed me. When I went to LECOM-B, I flew Airtran from Charlotte. They've got great rates into Tampa on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with a 10-day notice. I was there and back in less than 24 hours. It beats driving anyday!

how's the drive from Tampa to LECOM-B? I need to fly down and find a place soon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
chopstick1 said:
how's the drive from Tampa to LECOM-B? I need to fly down and find a place soon!!

Really simple and easy for the most part. There's a $1 toll for this really intimidatingly tall bridge you have to drive over, but it's pretty much six lanes or more all the way there.

scpod said:
Really simple and easy for the most part. There's a $1 toll for this really intimidatingly tall bridge you have to drive over, but it's pretty much six lanes or more all the way there.

You only need to drive over the Sunshine Skyway if you're coming from St. Pete. Otherwise, just take 275 to I-4 to I-75 from the airport. Much easier.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll be flying in apr 8-10, hopefully there's still some housing left!! :eek:

scpod said:
Yes, but the view is worth it for at least one trip.

Usually about once a year, the bridge gets shut down for a few hours because someone decides that the best way to end his (usually) life is by jumping. It really bottlenecks traffic. But agreed, the view is spectacular if you are driving during the day. A few years ago, some car company (Mercedes, perhaps?) had a commercial filmed on it with no other traffic. It is a gorgeous view.

On the other LECOM threads (both LECOM and LECOM-FL) there have been SO many negative posts. Please tell me some good things about the school. It IS possible to go to LECOM-FL, do rotations, get a good residency, and practice medicine right? :scared:

SonicHedgehogDO said:
On the other LECOM threads (both LECOM and LECOM-FL) there have been SO many negative posts. Please tell me some good things about the school. It IS possible to go to LECOM-FL, do rotations, get a good residency, and practice medicine right? :scared:

This is the non-negative thread. Nay-sayers are instantly and completely banished for life. That being said, the answer to your question is: Yes!

Alright, that's what I like to hear. I realize that medical school is extremely tough, but I like to keep a positive attitude about it. I want my classmates to do the same. You all seem to be very excited about attending LECOM-FL and practicing osteopathic medicine, which I think is awesome!

SonicHedgehogDO said:
MHC said:
I am a first year student here in Bradenton. I am already so frustrated with the administration here that I am pretty sure that I'm going to cut my losses and leave. If you have any other option, take it. This place is totally disorganized and PBL here is a mess. Out of the three facilitators I've had, only one was qualified for the job. One was a secretary (she is gone now) and one a psychologist, who knows nothing about the basic sciences.

Many other students here hate it, but just keep quiet and try to get through. This of course is just my opinion, and others are probably happy here. To me, it is the worst institution of higher learning I've ever attended.

And before people step in with responses guessing that I am an unhappy bad student, or a troll, I am one of the better students here, and have the one of the highest entering MCATs at 29. But as I say, this is just my experience. I hope anyone coming next year will have a better time.

After posts like the one above, I find myself asking the same question, Hedgehog. During my interview at the school, I talked to a number of students (not just the sga reps from admissions) and they all had very positive things to say about the school. In fact, one of the things that sold me on LECOM-FL was how happy the students seemed relative to the other DO schools I've interviewed at. (Maybe they have to keep smiling while big brother is watching, eh? :D ) I'm not exactly sure how to resolve the disconnect between my interview experience and the negative posts here on SDN, but I'll share some of my over-intellectualized rationalizations for the fact that I am still turning down acceptances to attend LECOM-FL.

LECOM-FL is a new school. The first class is setting up rotations as we speak. It seems like this process can be frustrating even at well established large allopathic schools with dedicated teaching hospitals. There are bound to be some bumps due to the newness of the school. I think there is good reason to hope things will be running a bit smoother by the time we're ready for third year.

In regards to PBL, while the final product of PBL seems quite good, I'm sure the process can be exquisitely frustrating at times. Although I have never done PBL at LECOM, my undergrad curriculum was structured much like PBL - lots of small group learning with facilitators. I can say from that experience that some people become very frustrated and uncomfortable in this learning environment. You sort of have to let go and "go with the flow", trusting that it will take you where you need to go. It is a very different, "non-linear" form of learning and as such can seem disorganized and rambling when you are in the midst of it. In particular, it is hard to see your progress without the traditional linear progression from the front of the textbook to the back. However, at the end, everyone suddenly realizes how much they have learned and are usually very happy. As Dr. Kruger said, it is definitely not for eveyone.

With all due respect to the above poster and the validity of his/her negative experience, I do find myself questioning the idea that the school is creating such a bad PBL experience. The strength of PBL is that you have the freedom to facilitate your own experience. As Dr. Kruger said during the interview, if it's not going well, look in the mirror, not for someone to blame. I'm not going in to PBL looking for someone to teach me anything - I'm going there to teach myself, with the support of my gifted colleagues. Anything the school offers is bonus.

It would be nice to hear some positive stories from current students.

That's just, like, my opinion, man...

bodymechanic said:
It would be nice to hear some positive stories from current students.

Yes, but this really isn't the place for it. There are plenty of other threads going on right now and you can start as many more as you want. The class threads, though, should at least be one place where the crap is off limits. People go here to escape all of the controversy and talk about other stuff. This is a place to feel comfortable with the people that you are going to go to school with next year. There's plenty of room on SDN for controversy. Why do you want to bring it here too?

scpod said:
Yes, but this really isn't the place for it. There are plenty of other threads going on right now and you can start as many more as you want. The class threads, though, should at least be one place where the crap is off limits. People go here to escape all of the controversy and talk about other stuff. This is a place to feel comfortable with the people that you are going to go to school with next year. There's plenty of room on SDN for controversy. Why do you want to bring it here too?

Respectfully, I disagree that responding to a legitimate question about a school's curriculum and rotations qualifies as "crap". If you look through the other class threads, I think you will find similar questions.

In my humble opinion, these class threads are our chance to get to know one another, ask each other questions, get advice and air our concerns about the adventure to come. I don't think it serves future students or LECOM-Fl's interests to whitewash the class thread and paint a completely positive and unrealistic picture. I posted my response here specifcally because I wanted to get feedback from my future classmates and hopefully stimulate a discussion focusing on the good points of LECOM-Fl.

I apologize if I offended anyone who just came here to hang out.

SonicHedgehogDO said:

I figure someone from the school has to jump in and cheer it up in here a little. A quick disclaimer, I'm a first year, so I can't speak personally, but I do talk to a number of second years about rotations and how things are going. I'm on Navy scholarship, and we're working as a group as HPSPers to share info on how the process is going since there's no base to fall back on. From what I've heard about rotations, things are going pretty smoothly. One guy has it all taken care of, and knowing him, he will have his residency taken care of by the beginning of the third year. But again I have to say that this is the military group, and as such represents a small group of the population and has to take a little different approach to rotation and residency. But, knowing that it is working for one person lets me know as long as you give it a lil effort and don't expect it to be handed to you it's not a problem.
As far as my experiences go, I love the school. PBL is amazing, I don't know how people can sit through 8-5 lectures every day. I love being able to study at my own pace, especially since it doesn't take me as long to pick up stuff as some of the other people. So I guess I'm one of the "smarter" people too, since I got a 29 also, Haven't had any problems with PBL. Yes, it takes time to adjust to, took me most of the first semester, but once you get the feel of it, I think most people will find that it's just as good as any lecture, if not better. You are right, it's a new program and has some kinks, I'm sorry the one girl ended up with the secretary, I heard the horror stories from that, someone in my group now had her, but she was only one of the many many facilitators, keyword was. Growing pains and such. PBL isn't something you can pass the blame off on to someone else though, since it's essentially individual study that's guided towards certain systems. And even then, with the way it's set up, you can study whatever area you want.
I think I'm done with my rant for now, Adult Swim is way too distracting... Time will tell on the match and rotations, but if it's anything like erie, we should be ok. Everything else is peachy, so long as you put some effort into it.

hey folks. i was wondering where most of the incoming class of 2010 is looking or planning on living next year. I am looking at colonial grand and am also interested in the possibility of a roomate.

with the support of my gifted colleagues. Anything the school offers is bonus.

nicely put!! you get what you put into it. there are those who just skate through college/job and those who actually learn something. I am hoping at LECOM I'll learn from my myself as well as my peers. I love the PBL program and although LECOM-FL is a new school it's program is copied from LECOM-PA
so they have worked out some of the kinks. either way...I am already on my way to LECOM-FL and it's going to be great!!

yasmeensak said:
I am an OMS-II at LECOM-B - and taking Sunshine Skyway toll (basically 275-S) is MUCH MUCH easier than the I-275N/I-4/I-75 route - and will probably be about 30min of a shorter ride - or maybe even an hour shorter if you're driving during rush hour.

The drive over the Sunshine Skyway is BEAUTIFUL to add...I wouldn't go any other way if you're flying into Tampa.

Yasmeen :D

yasmeensak,

Can you weigh in on the administration/clinical rotation issue? It would be good to hear from the horse/horse-ette's mouth.

Thank you!

I just received the email with the roomate list and housing info today. I was wondering if anybody besides myself was interested in getting a house?

theDolph said:
I just received the email with the roomate list and housing info today. I was wondering if anybody besides myself was interested in getting a house?

Not sure if by getting you mean buying or renting with roommates...

My wife and I are hoping to buy a house. We're flying to Bradenton on April 22-24 to search. Anybody else planning on going down in April?

bodymechanic said:
Not sure if by getting you mean buying or renting with roommates...

My wife and I are hoping to buy a house. We're flying to Bradenton on April 22-24 to search. Anybody else planning on going down in April?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant renting with roomates. I'm afraid my financial status at the moment would definitely not allow for buying of a house. I won't be able to make it down in April as I am finishing up my master's. Hope the house search goes well...

bodymechanic said:
my wife and I are hoping to buy a house. We're flying to Bradenton on April 22-24 to search. Anybody else planning on going down in April?

I am flying down apr 8-10 for the same reason! I have a friend that just moved from bradenton so i am trying to get the scoop on where to buy. any particular specs for your home? I can e mail you if I see something while I am down there.

chopstick1 said:
I am flying down apr 8-10 for the same reason! I have a friend that just moved from bradenton so i am trying to get the scoop on where to buy. any particular specs for your home? I can e mail you if I see something while I am down there.
Yeah, I was thinking somewhere around 3000 square feet right in the middle of Siesta Key would do it... :laugh:

We'll definitely be at the "more reasonable" end of real estate in Bradenton - if there is such a thing. We're looking for a two+ bedroom maybe around 1000 square feet or so. It seems like there are homes from a few different areas that fit our criteria/price range, so we haven't zeroed in on a particular neighborhood yet. Partially it depends on where my wife finds work (she's an RN, so she'll probably be at Sarasota or Manatee Memorial). Some of the older homes in downtown Bradenton seem rather nice, although I don't know how the area is. The Real estate agent seemed to think that east of I-75 between 301 and 70 was a good area to look at. I would really appreciate any insights you might have from your hunt - I'll pm you my email. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll try to keep my eyes open, too.

Have you checked out http://www.zillow.com? It's been useful in getting a sense of the home values in a particular area.

I am definitely in the reasonable end! the largest I am looking for is 1000sq ft., 2 bd rm. mainly I need a small fenced in back yard for the dogs to use. I'd like to be close to the school but that's where the prices sky rocket, so we'll see. I'll keep you up to date

Hello future classmates!

Following the fine example set by LECOM-FL-08 and LECOM-FL-09, I thought we might benefit from our own little discussion site far from the madding crowd of SDN. Accordingly, since I have some free hosting space and don't waste nearly enough time on SDN already :rolleyes:... http://lecom-fl.dostudent.com is born.

My hope is that this will give us a chance to get to know each other a little bit better before school begins. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of each other for the next two years. :D

Come on over, stick a pin in the map, post a picture and give a shoutout! :thumbup:

Hey all! Is there anyone out there that is still clueless as to where they are going to live next year. So I have a dillema, I'm leaving to europe mid-may and wont be back till the end of june. Due to some family stuff, I need a 1 bedroom apt... is it too long to wait till the end of June to figure out where to live, or should I really start looking now? I dont know really know if i'll have time to fly down to florida to do that. Pleast help

THanks,
Michelle

Anyone planning to live at the Tuscany in North Sarasota? I won't be moving down till mid July. Happy apt/house hunting everyone =)

may

Hi
I just wanted to say congradulations to everybody who has been accepted!!! I know you are worried about your living situations, but I am worried about my interview. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in telling me some interview tips. What was it like? What questins did they ask? who interviewed you? Please Help!!! My email is [email protected] anything you can tell me would be great.
Thanks
Karen

To all 2010 class,

I am in the 2009 class, and I am going to be selling most of my books....I am not sure if they have sent you your book list yet....but if they have, email me at [email protected], and I can give you some good deals...i have all of the first year books. Otherwise they are going to Ebay in a few weeks....

Also, I might be buying a house for investment soon...If any of you are looking for a place to live let me know a price range and I'll try see what I can do...

Thanks, and Congrats,
Matt

Michelle,

You need to start looking ASAP. I turned in my apartment application in February and was put on waiting list then. I can't imagine what it would be like with only one month before school starts.

Scione said:
Michelle,

You need to start looking ASAP. I turned in my apartment application in February and was put on waiting list then. I can't imagine what it would be like with only one month before school starts.

Thanks! Will do!
where did you turn in ur application?

Does anyone need an extra roommate cause I want to stay in a 3/4 br apartment to save money. Please post if anyone needs a roommate.