***LECOM-FL Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
scpod said:
Not only is the booklist here, but they want you to read from it too:

Bradenton Summer Reading List

You definitely don't have to read before you get here...I, like the majority of my classmates, didn't and were all doing fine.... of course if you do, you will have a distinct advantage in your PBL groups... The first semester is a lot of physiology... A LOT OF PHYSIOLOGY. So if your going to read anything.... that is my recommendation.

On that note however, my true recommendation is to blow off the summer and have as much fun as you possibly can... because you won't be in Kansas anymore come August... Oh, and by the way, they gave us our first anatomy exam the second Monday of class... Just an FYI.

Congrats again on your acceptance and enjoy the summer.... see you in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone -

Great thread. I am thinking about applying to LECOM-FL for the class of 2011. I wanted to know more about the area (Bradenton) since I may not be able to have a car if I go to med school. Is there public transportation and are you able to travel to places on foot? I've seen that a fellow poster claims that their apartment (1.5mi) away is the closest one. Could anyone comment on that? Thanks.

HemaOncoDoc said:
Hey everyone -

Great thread. I am thinking about applying to LECOM-FL for the class of 2011. I wanted to know more about the area (Bradenton) since I may not be able to have a car if I go to med school. Is there public transportation and are you able to travel to places on foot? I've seen that a fellow poster claims that their apartment (1.5mi) away is the closest one. Could anyone comment on that? Thanks.

Here is the deal... There is no public transit system to get you to school... There is a public transit system, I however, don't have a clue where or when it runs. I live at one of the closer facilities (Colonial Grand at Lakewood Ranch) and it is about a 5-10 minute drive with no traffic. There are some places a little closer, but reality will set in and you will come to realize that you need a vehicle. I say this because you have clinical rotations that you just have to have a vehicle. My buddy, god love him, managed to go without a vehicle until Easter break...bumming, begging, borrowing, and biking his way around town. I guess the bottom line is if you don't have a car, buy one, if you have a car and it is questionable either fix it or trade it in on something better.

With that said, good luck on your decision to apply to 2011....

M-

kota315 said:
Here is the deal... There is no public transit system to get you to school... There is a public transit system, I however, don't have a clue where or when it runs. I live at one of the closer facilities (Colonial Grand at Lakewood Ranch) and it is about a 5-10 minute drive with no traffic. There are some places a little closer, but reality will set in and you will come to realize that you need a vehicle. I say this because you have clinical rotations that you just have to have a vehicle. My buddy, god love him, managed to go without a vehicle until Easter break...bumming, begging, borrowing, and biking his way around town. I guess the bottom line is if you don't have a car, buy one, if you have a car and it is questionable either fix it or trade it in on something better.

With that said, good luck on your decision to apply to 2011....

M-
Okay thanks. I'll just have to ship my car down or drive it from MA (whichever is more cost effective).

HemaOncoDoc said:
Okay thanks. I'll just have to ship my car down or drive it from MA (whichever is more cost effective).

I drove down from Michigan... It is a tedious drive, but it can be done... I did it alone, but definitely recommend getting a road trip buddy to go with you...

M-

kota315 said:
There is a public transit system, I however, don't have a clue where or when it runs.

It looks like the bus will get you close to school, but probably not close enough to be practical. If you want to check it out, the bus service is called Manatee County Area Transit - "MCAT ", how sick is that!

bodymechanic said:
It looks like the bus will get you close to school, but probably not close enough to be practical. If you want to check it out, the bus service is called Manatee County Area Transit - "MCAT ", how sick is that!
I'm going to opt for the car. Its a little too early to look for a driving buddy, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks again!

Hi everyone,

I've been planning to attend LECOM -FL since I was accepted in Feb. I figured I should make an appearance here before we all get to Bradenton and start class. Someone posted that we should read physio. I am reading anatomy to have a head start in August. Is this truly unnecessary?

See you in 2 months!

doinitbig said:
Hi everyone,

I've been planning to attend LECOM -FL since I was accepted in Feb. I figured I should make an appearance here before we all get to Bradenton and start class. Someone posted that we should read physio. I am reading anatomy to have a head start in August. Is this truly unnecessary?

See you in 2 months!

Yeah, reading anatomy is truly unnecessary... I tried to read up on it for a bit before going, it didn't help.... Either read physio or just chill....

M-

kota315 said:
Yeah, reading anatomy is truly unnecessary... I tried to read up on it for a bit before going, it didn't help.... Either read physio or just chill....

M-

Thanks for the advice, I won't waste my time with anatomy then.

Hello,

I'm not a medical student, but I found this site and figured I'd post a message. I have two houses for rent with in a couple of miles from Lecom. There are three rooms per house ranging $600 - $650 per room. Cable included.

Please contact me for more information.

(941) 400-9003

Hey, Everyone! I'm Mariam and I'll be a first year student in the Fall. This all happened today (so I'm really excited!), but here I am looking for an apartment 2 weeks before school starts - any suggestions? I'm in NY and need to get down there ASAP to find an apt. I'm really not picky - I'll live with a M or F...as long as ur relatively neat.

Hey Mariam,

Congrats on your acceptance to the class of 2010... I wanted to let you know that your class has established a website that will probably make it easier for you to get a roommate... here is the link:

http://lecom-fl.dostudent.com/index.php

Good luck on your search, and see you in a couple of weeks...

Mark

c/o 09'

Thanks for the welcome! Believe it or not I found a roomate and an apt already so i'm just moving right along. I can't wait to meet everyone out there! PS thanks for the link!