LECOM fraud?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted727644

If a pharmacy school before you enroll gives you a list of classes you have to take your first year and then you enroll and they add an extra class on top of all the other classes, what are your options? It’s not even on their website either.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you officially enrolled as a P1? Have you taken any federal loan dispersements?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I finished p1 already and took federal loans
Are they making just you or a select cohort of your classmates take additional classes due to ANY factors not subject to other students?

Are they making just you or a select cohort of your classmates take additional classes due to ANY factors not subject to other students?
The whole cohort has to take that course. It’s the first year they started this new course. However it feels like fraud since they didn’t even tell us while interviewing or anytime beforehand or
Written on their website. We come in first day of class, tuition paid, then they give us a schedule with that new class added. Isn’t it fraud?

Maybe. If they added the course in addition to the other previous courses increasing the credit hours then I would say yes. I however they eliminated or merged it and the credit hours remained the same then I would say no.

You have a couple of recourse available to you.
1. Go to ACPE which will do nothing.
2. Go to the Federal level OIG Investigation Services
3. Go to state level

Before you do any of these you must make a good faith effort to reconcile the problem at the school level first which is where your student handbook will come in handy. Find who handles Title IV dispersement and seek a meeting with them. I would highly encourage you when you address them them that you have sought out your class and are concerned that you overpaid for tuition or fees that were not described in the handbook. If that course is not in the handbook then that is the first piece of your argument.

You can PM me if you feel it is too personal for a board discussion.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe. If they added the course in addition to the other previous courses increasing the credit hours then I would say yes. I however they eliminated or merged it and the credit hours remained the same then I would say no.

You have a couple of recourse available to you.
1. Go to ACPE which will do nothing.
2. Go to the Federal level OIG Investigation Services
3. Go to state level

Before you do any of these you must make a good faith effort to reconcile the problem at the school level first which is where your student handbook will come in handy. Find who handles Title IV dispersement and seek a meeting with them. I would highly encourage you when you address them them that you have sought out your class and are concerned that you overpaid for tuition or fees that were not described in the handbook. If that course is not in the handbook then that is the first piece of your argument.

You can PM me if you feel it is too personal for a board discussion.
On their website they don’t have the course. It’s been like this every year. Four-Year Florida Pathway Curriculum - LECOM

on the student handbook, they have the course written. However, students don’t have access to the handbook till after they become a student at that school. By then we students can’t do anything about it because we paid tuition already.

it seems like fraud since they are advertising one thing and we go in and we have to worry about another course on top of all the original ones and the credit hours increased too.

we all brought up the issue once and a student almost got kicked out for petitioning about it

Pharmacy schools are a racket anyway. Instead of outright dropping out I would just complain, let the school kick you out, and sue them afterwards.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Wait until you're an actual pharmacist and your employer gives you more work or extra responsibilities. LOL.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Um, I'm pretty sure every school will tell you that graduation requirements can change at any time. Why are you complaining about 1 extra class? Unless they are demanding you pay a couple of extra thousand to take this required class, I don't see what your even complaining about.

Reactions: 2 users
Um, I'm pretty sure every school will tell you that graduation requirements can change at any time. Why are you complaining about 1 extra class? Unless they are demanding you pay a couple of extra thousand to take this required class, I don't see what your even complaining about.
It’s not just one extra class. They added a whole sequence of it so it’s for 2 semesters and increased tuition

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that some schools will make you sign a professionalism pledge that basically gives them license to kick you out anything. Be. careful, OP.

+1, pharmacy schools are dirty. Record and keep track of EVERYTHING, don’t ever assume the school is on your side for any reason whatsoever. I’m a P1 first sem that just left and they did me extremely dirty, 1000% lawsuit case, just debating if i should spend the time.

In your case, i don’t think it’s lawsuit worthy but yes, complain as much as you can. I would not want to attend a school that disorganized and/or not upfront. With that said, i’m very familiar with LECOM (won’t go into too much detail on how/why) and this is very common behaviour for LECOM (actually, expect MUCH worse).

I am not aware of any schools that do not change their classes/curriculum. They certainly do not ask their students for permission beforehand.

I doubt you have any recourse. Just wait until you see them raise tuition every year.

I am not aware of any schools that do not change their classes/curriculum. They certainly do not ask their students for permission beforehand.

I doubt you have any recourse. Just wait until you see them raise tuition every year.

Besides the dumb title of the thread, this is definitely not "fraud" and if the OP uses that kind of rhetoric, the fight is a non-starter. You're right about schools who do not change their classes. However, if it's LECOM that we are talking about, and with them being a 3 year all round school, adding additional required credit hours does seem kind of weird.

On the surface it's not unreasonable to update the curriculum. But you seem to have a particular issue with this class. If you don't mind, can you tell us what it is

Maybe it's political indoctrination and fluff. It can of course be a money grab. All of the above

On the surface it's not unreasonable to update the curriculum. But you seem to have a particular issue with this class. If you don't mind, can you tell us what it is

Maybe it's political indoctrination and fluff. It can of course be a money grab. All of the above
People weren't indoctrinated enough in highschool and college?

• Haha
Maybe it's a truly relevant, necessary course brought on by changes in the profession? Living homeless 101? Dealing with extreme student debt and no job prospects 202? Need to know more specifics....

• Haha
I am not aware of school curricula like these.