lecom or reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lecom or reapply

• lecome

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • reapply

Votes: 34 38.6%

• Total voters

JaniceM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question to ask for everyone. I had my interview at lecom this past week and the school kind of worried me because of the clinic situation and unknown of how many patients would be available. If you were in my position what would you do?

Still waiting to hear from nyu, tufts, temple, BU, mwu il and az, mosdoh, and usc

This is my 2nd time applying and I applied late because I had family issues going on, my mom had a heart attack so kind of was freaked out after seeing EMTs reviving her. It would be my 3rd time applying next year and I will get it all in June no matter what

My gpa would now be after fall 3.43, sgpa 3.38, bcp 3.39. First time I applied I was around a 3.22 overall, 3.11 and 3.12 for sgpa and bcp (not exact since I do not remember exactly. I will turn 24 in march.

DAT:20 20 19

Bio-19 was a 16 last year
Gen Chem 21 same as last year
O Chem 20 was an 18 last year
QR 20 was an 18 last year
PAT 19 was a 16 last year
RC 22 was a 22 as well last year

Would I have a shot at better schools next year if I get everythong Im right away?
I know I will probably get the why did you even apply there question. I wanted to form my own opinion about the school, which is why I applied.

Members don't see this ad.

I would totally go to whatever school takes me this cycle instead of waiting one whole year (my opinion tho!) I interviewed at Lecom too. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I had a question to ask for everyone. I had my interview at lecom this past week and the school kind of worried me because of the clinic situation and unknown of how many patients would be available. If you were in my position what would you do?

Still waiting to hear from nyu, tufts, temple, BU, mwu il and az, mosdoh, and usc

This is my 2nd time applying and I applied late because I had family issues going on, my mom had a heart attack so kind of was freaked out after seeing EMTs reviving her. It would be my 3rd time applying next year and I will get it all in June no matter what

My gpa would now be after fall 3.43, sgpa 3.38, bcp 3.39. First time I applied I was around a 3.22 overall, 3.11 and 3.12 for sgpa and bcp (not exact since I do not remember exactly. I will turn 24 in march.

DAT:20 20 19

Bio-19 was a 16 last year
Gen Chem 21 same as last year
O Chem 20 was an 18 last year
QR 20 was an 18 last year
PAT 19 was a 16 last year
RC 22 was a 22 as well last year

Would I have a shot at better schools next year if I get everythong Im right away?
I know I will probably get the why did you even apply there question. I wanted to form my own opinion about the school, which is why I applied.

Were you accepted to LECOM or are you still waiting to hear back from them?

If it comes down to it, you have solid DAT/GPA scores to reapply next year. But if you were accepted to LECOM, I don't think you should overlook past their offer. Although the school is new, the dean made it clear that patients would be in abundance. The choice is yours! Good luck! :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting to hear back, just thought I would ask now instead of waiting last second.

It's just the theoretical clinic and supposed patient base that freaked me out. While I understand getting in is important just the uncertainty plus the stories of how the program gives people different information seems like it could be troublesome. Plus no one knows for sure where the rotations will be. For investing as much money as I will I am really trying to make the best decision overall since it is a huge financial investment.

...I know I will probably get the why did you even apply there question. I wanted to form my own opinion about the school, which is why I applied.

Wait so you applied, went to the interview, and didn't like the school that much? Or aren't sure anymore?

My best advice would be to form your own opinion about the school, but be realistic. This is a big decision to make, so take everything people say with a grain of salt. Ultimately, we don't know enough to adequately advise you very well.

I personally don't think that turning down an acceptance is a good idea. Maybe you won't get in anywhere in the next cycle...who knows? It might be your only acceptance, ever.

If you decide you really don't think you want to go to LECOM (a decision only you can make...), I would say to withdraw your application from the school. I don't necessarily think this is the wisest decision, but it's your decision to make, and I personally think it "looks" better (if you're set on reapplying), if you're not reapplying with an acceptance your rejected in the past cycle.

Btw, when did you submit your application/take the DAT? If you submitted late and/or retook late in the cycle then it's no wonder you haven't gotten other interviews at this point. If not, then maybe there's some sort of red flag on your application.

Waiting to hear back, just thought I would ask now instead of waiting last second.

It's just the theoretical clinic and supposed patient base that freaked me out. While I understand getting in is important just the uncertainty plus the stories of how the program gives people different information seems like it could be troublesome. Plus no one knows for sure where the rotations will be. For investing as much money as I will I am really trying to make the best decision overall since it is a huge financial investment.

Is this what you gleaned from talking to the students/faculty/administration? If so, it could potentially put me off too. But weighing those options is your decision to make (if you get in).

If you apply early next cycle, I think you have a good chance at other schools. And by the way, 24 is still young. :)

My application did not get in until the end of October/beginning of November depending on when they received my supplemental fees.

I did talk to them and it seemed as a lot of "supposed to happen like this" nothing was concrete and that really caused me concern. It was a lot of ifs and that really turned my opinion of them. Plus the things other people have said is what they keep telling people differs a lot, I see no reason to lie about that and if it is true that seems like a cause for concern.

While it might be my only acceptance ever I don't know if I would be happy there and I don't know iF I want to spend that 70+K if I end up super unhappy then drop out.

Last edited:
I would call them to discuss your worries. Maybe they can put your mind at rest? Give them the chance to explain a bit further. LECOM has great programs in other areas and their students are generally a pretty contented bunch with their education quality. I can't imagine they would just let their DDS program be mediocre and not really care about student experience or patient contact.

I have to ask... are you just getting cold feet in general though? It is pretty normal to get nervous a bit after the reality of an acceptance sets in and to question if it is really what you want. It sounds like you've had a rough year with your mom and all. Maybe you just feel you want another year to gather yourself and be ready for the challenge of dental school? Maybe you want to consider a deferral and take a little break?

Honestly I thought about that too, maybe I was scared;however if NYU, USC, BU or any of those other schools offered me an acceptance I would accept them in a heartbeat and not think twice. Mosdoh which hasn't opened yet atleast as their rotation and clinical plans in motion and know where they will do those and seem more organized then LECOM, just my opinion on that though. It is that old saying, better the devil you know then the devil you don't.

I did talk to them a bit it really didn't do anything since it was more of this is what we have planned but not entirely sure feeling.

You could also be right that I need the extra year to just spend time with my mom and need that break. It's better to go late and be ready instead of going a year early while not being prepared which causes me to flunk out since I might need that break.

Better question is do you think with my stats do I have a legitimate shot at other schools if I apply early like western, Boston, USc, mw il and as, temple, roseman, and schools like that. Even uop

I have visited 10 schools. I actually really enjoyed LECOM. Yes, it is a new program and they will have kinks to iron out. And yes, a lot of what they said hasn't happened but it theoretical. Even with those things I still liked it. If you feel like you could do well with the PBL system then go for it. If I was only accepted to LECOM I would go there.

If you were to wait, I'd suggest getting a job in dentistry and take some classes to bring your GPA up a notch. Get a few more As (maybe four classes, 2 each semester) in upper level sciences, especially anatomy, and you'll be a more attractive candidate. You'll also show your committment to your goals. Your DAT looks ok to me, so no need to re-take.

I think LECOM will be a great school but I just couldn't bring myself to get excited about PBL during my interviews because it still scares me. However, I think the clinical experiences at lecom will be second to none if it all pans out.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to wait, I'd suggest getting a job in dentistry and take some classes to bring your GPA up a notch. Get a few more As (maybe four classes, 2 each semester) in upper level sciences, especially anatomy, and you'll be a more attractive candidate. You'll also show your committment to your goals. Your DAT looks ok to me, so no need to re-take.

Not going to a dental school that accepts you is a strange way to show committment to becoming a dentist...

I have a job lined up and honestly I can't afford to take anymore classes. My job starts at the end of January.

My last 2 semesters I took o chem 2 lab, cell bio, anatomy, reproductive physiology, biochem, behavioral physiology, cardio respiratory physiology, gen chem 2 lab plus a animal behavior class. I got an A- in anatomy, B+ in the cardio respiratory class and A's in every other class.

My gpa trend is a 3.65 my last 2 years

So sacapuntas do you think I should withdraw before a decision is made? Also what do you think my chances would be next year.

So sacapuntas do you think I should withdraw before a decision is made? Also what do you think my chances would be next year.

If you are accepted I think you should go to LECOM! I also think you still have a good chance to get into another school this year, your stats are solid. If you chose to reapply, you would be a competitive applicant however it would seem wise to continue to take some science classes if you re-apply. You have stated you prefer not to continue to pay for undergrad classes (which I agree with). There are no guarantees next cycle, go enjoy Florida!

Yeah I get most people would go I'm just in the unsure issue of I didn't really see myself there after interviewing. Also like a previous poster I don't know how I would handle the PBL

Yeah I get most people would go I'm just in the unsure issue of I didn't really see myself there after interviewing. Also like a previous poster I don't know how I would handle the PBL

Well, if you don't think you can succeed in a PBL scenario, I can understand the desire to reapply. I think that with your GPA and DAT you are likely going to be able to succeed in PBL with enough hard work. I am confused though, you have an acceptance in hand or you are waiting to hear back still?

I am committed to becoming a dentist but I went through the same issue last year. I will also be 24 in Feb and its my second application cycle, thankfully I got in somewhere I wanted to go this year and didn't reapply to LECOM. Anyways last year when I interviewed at LECOM I was scared the school would actually accept me because I never felt more uncomfortable with a program, I was happy when they waitlisted me. I think it is deterring to your education when you spend so much time in undeserved clinics away from campus (I was told somewhere in Florida or Erie, PA) you have no educational instruction your 4th year. Other programs allow you to explore specialty areas, and even pick up a minor in your third and fourth years. The dean at LECOM seemed adamant that his students wouldn't be doing residencies....I would rather be able to explore options in school and then get my practice down in an under served area or in a gpr. How would a LECOM student really fare when competing with residencies...I'm guessing not well. The dean also explained how his students didn't need to take abroad trips or have other outreach trips. Research opportunities were never mentioned. Also, besides the PBL which is whole body and shared with med students, the gross anatomy class doesn't even use a real cadaver....it's all virtual. I don't know...to each his own, but I found LECOM frightening...I don't know if I could have stomached taking out 70K in loans per year for..that. If you feel the same way I think maybe you should make contact with some of your top choices and express interest.

Hey JaniceM!

Be careful what you wish for--when I got a LECOM interview, I was thrilled! Then I went to LECOM, and liked the school, but PBL was something I wasn't sure about and 48 weeks of school (that was kind of nightmare-ish...yes I should act like an adult, but still...that's a lot of school), and I was like nah, I probably could never go there. But I thought the interview, etc. went off really well!

And guess what came in the mail today? A LECOM rejection letter.

I think any dental school is a good school, so don't try to fill your head with negative thoughts (that's what I kind of did...and it's stupid of me) about the school, because any school is a good school.

I pretty much turned the school down in my head, but then they turned me down in reality. I'm glad though, because I'm hoping someone who really wanted to attend LECOM will get the chance, too, and I just hope you get in to the school that you really want to attend, as well!

Best of luck!

Just my opinion-- but as I read through this, it seems you're so excited for any other school BUT LECOM so that should be your answer right there. If your gut feeling about the school is filled with doubt... then don't do it. People say 'if you're accepted to any school -- GO!' but I don't think that's such a great way to look at it, because in reality we still need to feel happy about our choices. So you have to decide if you end up going to LECOM could you be happy with that choice? If there's hesitation or a no... then reapply. I'd say you have a great chance if you keep involved.

I interviewed at LECOM last year and I loved the school. I'm waiting for a spring interview (hopefully) from them after my semester grades are sent in. So personally if I were to get accepted it'd be one of my 'I'd go in a heartbeat' schools but everyone's different.

Just my input... but make sure to listen to yourself more than anything! :thumbup:

I'm waiting to hear back sac. They said we would know in January that's why I was trying to make a decision before then incase I do get accepted and then say no which would look kind of bad.

If you're already starting to doubt the program then perhaps you should reconsider. Most people would accept the offer in a heartbeat if it were their only one. I interviewed there and thought that it was a well organized program with a good foundation. I personally don't see why people get so intimidated by PBL. It's just another way of learning and as long as you are open to it then I don't see it being a problem. The only concerns I had about LECOM was the fact that it is so new and that the dean didn't seem to like it when people specialized. I got into my top pick so I don't have to think about these things but if I hadn't, I would still gladly attend LECOM.

I think there is some truth to the statement that all the presenters (dean, adcom members, etc etc) make on interview day, "You are hear to interview us as much as we are here to interview you. So please make sure our school is a good match for you."

I don't know who you are worried about it "looking bad" to, you gotta only worry about yourself--it's your money, it's your time, it's your four years spent. If you feel that LECOM is not the right school, and you are accepted, and don't hear from any other school, I would say it's okay to give it a miss this cycle and try again. If you're not gonna be happy at LECOM for four years, there would probably be another student who woulda been happy, but even then, I would say, take the selfish approach and do whatever is best for you--even if it might mean re-applying. Obviously, this entire application process is a gamble, but in the long run, one year missed is not a big deal. However, just take into consideration the money spent by re-applying. I'm sure you won't make any rash decisions, and you can talk it out with your close ones, and get more information from LECOM, too, provided you are accepted. :)

I have done the PBL in my molecular genetics class and quite honestly I struggled with it. I finally mastered how to do well in lecture based classes and a school that is basically all PBL does scare me, which is why I have reservations about USC as well.

I get most people think I'm crazy IF i do get accepted and turn it down, but for me being in a good fit for me and being happy at the school is important too. No one wants to be the person on SDN that complains and hates the school they attend. Plus there is that chance what if I got and absolute hate it. Then I'm stuck for 4 years with a financial burden at a place that I can't stand.

Talking it with my close ones is not the best idea lol. They don't want me to go to Florida mainly because of how often it is hit with hurricanes plus the long distance.

I kind of want to ram my head in the wall this is so frustrating

I have done the PBL in my molecular genetics class and quite honestly I struggled with it. I finally mastered how to do well in lecture based classes and a school that is basically all PBL does scare me, which is why I have reservations about USC as well.

I get most people think I'm crazy IF i do get accepted and turn it down, but for me being in a good fit for me and being happy at the school is important too. No one wants to be the person on SDN that complains and hates the school they attend. Plus there is that chance what if I got and absolute hate it. Then I'm stuck for 4 years with a financial burden at a place that I can't stand.

Talking it with my close ones is not the best idea lol. They don't want me to go to Florida mainly because of how often it is hit with hurricanes plus the long distance.

Long distance is an important factor to take into consideration, but Bradenton doesn't really get hit up with hurricanes. It has a ridiculously low chance of hurricane activity. (It was one of my family's and my concerns as well, so I had looked it up, hah)

Yeah it's just a lot to take in at this point. I really have no clue what I'm going to do, but I know I should try to decide before January

Also people who did vote for Lecom, are you saying just because an acceptance is an acceptance or did you personally like the school a lot.

Has anyone ever turned down their acceptance to reapply? Or know of anyone that did?

It depends. If you think you will struggle with pbl I would not go there or if you want to specialize
Or even want to possibly consider it.

Will you be happy in Florida and that far from your family?

I at this point would go anywhere, but everyone has different goals and I do believe that you should not go to a school if you feel really bad about it. If you hate dental school you might end up hating your job which you will be stuck in because of your loans

Just my 2 cents if you think you will struggle with PBL, will be unhappy and struggle when you are unhappy I personall would just reapply if I was in your shoes. It is possible the OP may not get in next year, but there is also a chance the OP might struggle there causing her to leave the school which is a much larger financial hit compared to reapplying.

i would say go to lecom if you are accepted this year. but if you aren't, it isn't the end of the world. reapply next year. apply early and apply broadly. your stats are solid and you should have no problem getting into a better, more established school.

I do not suggest reapplying next cycle

I am considering going to LECOM and I have 2 other acceptances.. At first I was worried about PBL but then i realized during undergrad I learned the most from reading/teaching myself anyway!

I think your education will be what you make out of it :)

Yeah, but if I go here I have no chance to little chance to specialize, was told basically there if you want to specialize not to go to LECOM.

I'm not saying I want to specialize, but I would never know if I want to if I go there. Right now I'm leaning towards withdrawing from that and how terrible I have been in the past with PBL. Being that it is a full PBL basically that scares me. Plus with no chance to really explore besides a GP.

While it will cost extra to reapply in the grand scheme of things that is cheaper then going to a school I will be unhappy since that could lead me to not performing my best, which could lead to an even bigger financial cost. While it may not be the smartest choice I think it is the best choice for me and me actually succeeding plus being happy at dental school.

Yeah, but if I go here I have no chance to little chance to specialize, was told basically there if you want to specialize not to go to LECOM.

I'm not saying I want to specialize, but I would never know if I want to if I go there. Right now I'm leaning towards withdrawing from that and how terrible I have been in the past with PBL. Being that it is a full PBL basically that scares me. Plus with no chance to really explore besides a GP.

While it will cost extra to reapply in the grand scheme of things that is cheaper then going to a school I will be unhappy since that could lead me to not performing my best, which could lead to an even bigger financial cost. While it may not be the smartest choice I think it is the best choice for me and me actually succeeding plus being happy at dental school.

Are they coming right out and saying that now? When I interviewed there they basically said "we intend to train general dentists", but they didn't come out and say aspiring specialists need not apply.

OP: If you have a cheap state school that your new (much better) DAT scores could get you into, consider it. Otherwise I'd say suck it up and go to LECOM. I know being trained to be a medical doctor at first before making the 180 to do dentistry is going to suck (maybe more than their "teach-yourself" PBL approach), but you get the degree in the end anyway. The odds of them failing to get accreditation is probably very low. Just focus in school and maybe take an AEGD or something when you get out. Alternatively you can find a lower-end job to build up your skills and pay down that LECOM debt - which isn't quite as terrible as USC/NYU/Roseman debt anyway, right?

Everyone is going to tell you different opinions. It's really up to you. Follow your gut... your instincts. If it helps, I'll tell you my story and my perspective..

I applied last year and had to reapply to dental school this cycle. I was wait-listed at LECOM after an interview last cycle. I remember how difficult and heartbreaking the waiting game was to hear from LECOM... I was just very desperate to get in somewhere and didn't even consider how well I would do in a PBL curriculum and such. I didn't care if they had no reputation or how expensive they were. I just wanted an acceptance. I wanted to start school already. When they basically rejected me and I finally realized they weren't going to take me off their wait-list, yes, I was very discouraged and sad. However, today, I look back and see what a blessing that was. I can actually say I'm happy I was not accepted to LECOM. I would have struggled with PBL, and I'm interested in specializing... trying to do really well academically to specialize in a PBL setting would've been the worse combination for me... let alone the cost of the school... (got into a cheaper school this time around).

On the contrary, a lot of applicants are going to have the mind frame that they would be happy to be accepted ANYWHERE. So again, it's up to you! Good luck on your decision! :)

i applied last year and was waitlisted. i applied this year again, and was waitlisted again. couldn't be happier.

i was so determined to go to lecom last year (since it was my only interview) that i forced myself to like PBL. in the end, do i think PBL is helpful? absolutely. i think it works well in conjunction with lecture based learning. should it be the sole focus of a curriculum? probably not, in my opinion. the whole curriculum seems like a glorified online/distance learning type of deal. i definitely wouldn't have been able to adjust easily to the curriculum.

during my interviews, the dean told us outright, "if you want to specialize--don't come here". "if you want to do research, don't come here".

and when a student asked another question about specialization he said something to the effect of "we're required by the ADA to teach you all the specialties, so we'll do that. we will also keep your grades in the event that you should want to specialize." he said it in such a way that made it seem like it would be dumb to specialize after attending lecom. he also said that he wants to ensure that graduates don't have to go in for an aegd residency.

so unless you are really really really set on being a GP who wants to practice asap without any desire to do research, outreach etc. than lecom would be solid. their vision is promising, and i commend them for that. however the clinical situation has yet to be seen as the clinic probably won't be up and running for some time.

take what i've said with a grain of salt. these are only my opinions/experiences. if lecom is your only acceptance, then take it and know that you'll get a DMD, and if all pans out, you will be a very competent general dentist.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would go to where ever you were accepted. I understand that your it may not necessarily be the school you would have wanted to attend, but it is not in your control anymore.

I would go unless you' have personal issues preventing you from going.

The only reason I can see not going is if you think you have a great shot at getting into your state school next year and the cost of the state school is much cheaper than LECOM. But honestly, why would you have a better shot next year than this year?

GL - if it were me I would go lecom. I don't think there is much evidence to support that lecom grads won't be able to get into a specialty program.

I think I have a little bit of a better shot since applying super late this year hurt me quite a bit. I applied in October not early June.

I think Nguyendds makes a good point that people just look for the acceptance, which is why there are some very unhappy dental students. Same with predent opinions, you have to go where you will be happy, but most importantly do not go where you will be super unhappy plus with my past failures with PBl, and the school is strictly PBL with DO students at that.

Also the dean basically told us the same thing, so they don't seem to want anyone who is even remotely interested in specialization. Plus no research opportunities and not many outreach programs it seems either.

Be pretty funny if I get a flat out rejection then all this pondering would be for nothing. Also to yappy my mom is having heart surgery soon, so the personal thing is an unknown.

You self-consciously want to go to lecom. Why else would you pull a Freudian slip and type Le'COME as your survey answer =)

Because my iPhone apparently wanted me to go there hahaha.

Jaws why do find it so funny?

Why wont LECOM NOT want you to specialize?