LECOM PCSP Reject - Advice Needed from current LECOMers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdreaminguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to LECOM for fall 2016 admission and received a rejection last week without interview. My overall stats are close to where they need to be: 27 MCAT and an MBA from a top 10 school. But, as an undergrad I lost a close friend and thus got a D in Gen Chem and in Orgo, which wrecked my science GPA. I tried to explain it in my personal statement. I have had a 3.1 for the last 3 years but still need to retake those two classes, which I am doing this spring through UNECOM. I was hoping for provisional admission consideration.

My question is, since I am extremely interested in the PCSP program (top choice), is there anything I can do? Email the adcom or send a letter asking for reconsideration from the Dean or anything? It sucks knowing I will have good grades in those two classes before the 2016 class matriculates. And, since so few people want to do primary care these days, do they have any flexibility? Is there anything I can do except wait another year and reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to LECOM for fall 2016 admission and received a rejection last week without interview. My overall stats are close to where they need to be: 27 MCAT and an MBA from a top 10 school. But, as an undergrad I lost a close friend and thus got a D in Gen Chem and in Orgo, which wrecked my science GPA. I tried to explain it in my personal statement. I have had a 3.1 for the last 3 years but still need to retake those two classes, which I am doing this spring through UNECOM. I was hoping for provisional admission consideration.

My question is, since I am extremely interested in the PCSP program (top choice), is there anything I can do? Email the adcom or send a letter asking for reconsideration from the Dean or anything? It sucks knowing I will have good grades in those two classes before the 2016 class matriculates. And, since so few people want to do primary care these days, do they have any flexibility? Is there anything I can do except wait another year and reapply?

Sorry bro, ace those two retakes and apply next year. Sorry to hear about your close friend.

They would not even consider you until you had passing grades for all prerequisites. It doesn't matter if you pass them by the end of spring... Their application cycle will already be over. There are so many applicants that they can't make exceptions for anyone. Pass those classes and reapply early next year. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going to get an exception; PCSP is competitive and they can easily fill the (small) class without being flexible and making exceptions. 27 and 3.1 are respectable, but 3.1 is on the low end, so they may not be quite as competitive as you think.

Are you still in the running for other pathways, or are you rejected from LECOM overall? I don't know how PCSP applications work, really.

Your best bet is to ace the two classes this semester and re-apply early. Best of luck.

Last edited:
There are very few PCSP spots. And the fact that it's a 3 year track makes it even more enticing for those interested in primary care. You can try calling to see if they would reconsider, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Best to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to LECOM for fall 2016 admission and received a rejection last week without interview.

When was your primary verified? And when was your secondary complete?

I tried to explain it in my personal statement.

Just an idea. Consider writing about this in the "grades" section instead of PS. You mainly want to advertise yourself in PS and use secondary questions such as "explanation to a low/inconsistent GPA" to explain your grades and circumstances. Sorry for your loss OP.

27 MCAT and an MBA from a top 10 school

The 27 MCAT certainly gets you to the door, since it hits exactly at the matriculation average. The MBA will be much more meaningful AFTER you graduate from med school. I'm afraid it won't make much of a difference now.

I have had a 3.1 for the last 3 years

With a 3.1 you are looking at a standard deviation below the average. What would your GPA be with replacement assuming you get the grades you want with the retakes?