Lecom Post Bacc--application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoodLife570

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on applying to Lecom Post Bacc. I will be taking Physics 2 and orgo 2 this upcoming semester, along with physics 1 and the mcat this summer. I am wondering if it is possible to submit my application prior to completion of these classes?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got this from NYIT " Is it necessary to have all of my pre-requisite coursework completed before I submit my application?No, you may still have in-progress coursework during your application year. Please list the courses as"in-progress" on your AACOMAS application. Be aware that any admissions decisions that are made will be contingent upon your successful completion of the courses with a grade of "C" or higher. A bachelor's degree must be earned by the point of matriculation, if admitted."

Why sign up for a post bacc before taking the mcat?

If your GPa is poor, why not retake classes (grade replacement) instead of dropping money on a post bacc?

Just trying to give a different perspective here.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have a ton of credit hours, along the lines of 168 with a major in business and english. My GPA is a 3.3 and my science GPA is around a 3.1. I felt the post bacc was a good idea because it will give me the experience of upper level sciences, which would help me be more successful in medical school. I have not taken any upper levels and because of my high credit hours, retakes do not help my GPA as much as I would like it too.

I was interested in lecom post bacc because the cost is low and that they almost guarantee acceptance if a 3.0 GPA is kept. The cost of the medical program is 30 grand a year which IMO is much better than a 50,000$ program, especially because I will be around 25 when I begin.

Any thoughts?

thank you again.

I have a ton of credit hours, along the lines of 168 with a major in business and english. My GPA is a 3.3 and my science GPA is around a 3.1. I felt the post bacc was a good idea because it will give me the experience of upper level sciences, which would help me be more successful in medical school. I have not taken any upper levels and because of my high credit hours, retakes do not help my GPA as much as I would like it too.

I was interested in lecom post bacc because the cost is low and that they almost guarantee acceptance if a 3.0 GPA is kept. The cost of the medical program is 30 grand a year which IMO is much better than a 50,000$ program, especially because I will be around 25 when I begin.

Any thoughts?

thank you again.
Your GPA's actually aren't that 'bad' for DO programs. I suggest seeing how you do on the MCAT before committing to an SMP. Also, since you haven't taken any upper level science classes, I'm assuming you have only taken the bare minimum prereqs. Thus, your 3.1 sGPA could definitely jump up to 3.3/4+ after a couple of retakes, right?

So, I would recommend taking the MCAT, seeing how you do, retaking a few classes to get your sGPA to 3.3+, and then apply to DO schools and the LECOM SMP during the same cycle.

Any thoughts?

thank you again.

I'm at LECOM. Its a good and reasonably priced program. The thing is the Post-bac is good if you think you can do amazing in it and you've already tried and failed to get into a med school. However, if you are one of the many people who struggle with med school-like courses, getting below a 3.0 in a med school post-bac kills any hopes of getting into any US med school afterwards.

Your GPAs really aren't bad. I had 200+ credits and 2-3 strategic retakes were enough to bring up my sGPA by .2-.3 points. You'd be better off spending one semester bringing up your sGPA and/or studying hard for the MCAT and applying early rather than just straight applying for a post-bac.

Honestly, I don't see the point in spending $15k for a hard program where there is a risk of getting below a 3.0 when you could probably spend $2-3k on a few retakes this semester/summer and/or $2k on a great MCAT review course and have the same if not more options. You'd start at the same time if you get the retakes and MCAT done by June and just apply.

Worst case scenario, you're delayed a year and can do the post-bac later, but if I were you, I'd at least try to get in outright, because I think with a 27+ and an early/broad app, you'd be fine.

Last edited:
Hi so I'm in the post bac right now at LECOM too. As long as you do well on the MCAT as others have said and utilize retakes to bump up your GPA this post bac isn't necessary! I'm the rare case that never applied to medical school before doing LECOM's post bac and had a generally good applicant profile (I applied to 12 schools this cycle and have been successful<--not meant to brag). I did this program as I had taken a year off and I wanted to prepare myself for med school curriculum and have the added safety net of LECOM (if I wanted, not that this is guaranteed) as long as I worked really hard. Saying that, this program was definitely A LOT harder than my undergraduate large state school like any SMP or post bac program with medical school-like classes. You will study more than you ever have in your life, even if you were a great student in undergrad!

If you really wanted to apply to this program, you could put your application through now and let them wait on the MCAT score and pre-reqs. Several students in the program didn't get acceptance letters until July for various reasons. The application fee is pretty cheap as well if that's something you're interested in. The choice is up to you, so if that is something you want to do, then go for it! BUT as other people have said it could ruin your chances if you don't do well! It is pretty unlikely that you will get a 4.0 even if you have taken some of the classes in undergrad, so be careful and good luck! I'm sure hallowmann and myself would be happy to answer any questions about the program if you ever want! :)