LECOM Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pulse0021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone sorry if this has been asked before but I couldnt find it anywhere.

I was looking into LECOMs post bacc program and was wondering if it offered some type of guaruntee into their med school. It says that you must be in the 40th percentile in the MCAT to matriculate into the DO program so I am assuming that this is so.

Any info on the program would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

no guarantee. better get above 3.0 (preferably 3.5) for potential acceptance

Hey everyone sorry if this has been asked before but I couldnt find it anywhere.

I was looking into LECOMs post bacc program and was wondering if it offered some type of guaruntee into their med school. It says that you must be in the 40th percentile in the MCAT to matriculate into the DO program so I am assuming that this is so.

Any info on the program would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Their website makes the "40th percentile or higher on the MCAT" out as more of a requirement than a guarantee.

My guess would be that scoring in the 40th percentile or higher on the MCAT and successful completion of the post-bacc would guarantee admission to their DO program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello ,

I am considering doing a post-bacc but I'm very interested getting at Lecom post bacc. What gpa and mcat score is required to get into their program ? Is it very competitive considering this program it's special for those who wants to prove their ability and enhance their chances to get into med school??

What are your stats?

science gpa 2.9 overall 3.0
It is very low
I haven't taken the mcat yet but at practice exam I score avarage. I was considering doing my own post bacc but I really prefer post bacc programs as Lecom.

I think lecom post bac requires Mcat. I would retake weak science classes and the Mcat. And gpa above 3.2 and Mcat around 80% , then apply to DO schools. No need to do lecom post bac

Reactions: 1 user
Hello ,

I am considering doing a post-bacc but I'm very interested getting at Lecom post bacc. What gpa and mcat score is required to get into their program ? Is it very competitive considering this program it's special for those who wants to prove their ability and enhance their chances to get into med school??
Average around 3.0 sGPA and MCAT 24 I believe

science gpa 2.9 overall 3.0
It is very low
I haven't taken the mcat yet but at practice exam I score avarage. I was considering doing my own post bacc but I really prefer post bacc programs as Lecom.
Average as in 25 or what?

I recently applied to the program but am hoping my April MCAT is good enough to not have to do it if accepted

Last edited:
no guarantee. better get above 3.0 (preferably 3.5) for potential acceptance
Preferably 3.5? No, 3.o/24+ and you are guaranteed an interview which 9/10 students will get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Preferably 3.5? No, 3.o/24+ and you are guaranteed an interview which 9/10 students will get in.
Yes, and it's not undergrad 3.0. Getting a 3.0 here is like a 3.8 in undergrad, which makes sense because it is supposed to prove you will do well in medical school. They just released first semester stats and the average GPA was 2.97, which doesn't include the 30-40 people who failed out.

I think lecom post bac requires Mcat. I would retake weak science classes and the Mcat. And gpa above 3.2 and Mcat around 80% , then apply to DO schools. No need to do lecom post bac
Does not require MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM's program is too high risk in my opinion. A 3.0 might be seen very well in the program, but to other medical schools, a 3.0 is very damming. So you are pretty much locked in one place.

LECOM's program is too high risk in my opinion. A 3.0 might be seen very well in the program, but to other medical schools, a 3.0 is very damming. So you are pretty much locked in one place.

A 3.0 in a medical school post-bacc isn't "damning" when you consider that admissions committees realize the coursework and load you take at LECOM...

Besides, if you're choosing post-bacc route, just how choosey can you really be at this point about schools? Most people who do post-baccs are not too concerned with that.

I actually prefer a different DO school close to my hometown. I applied to this school back in September, and just sent them my grades for fall @ LECOM hoping it helps push me over the top (I got a 3.5 this semester). That being said, I can't have unrealistic expectations. After not getting accepted last cycle, I will take what I can get. Like they say, 'the best medical school is the one that accepts you.'

Besides, you would have to essentially wait a year longer to go to another school, whereas you can simply pick one of their 3 campuses and start the following fall.

Reactions: 2 users
For the Bradenton one or the Erie one?

LECOM has only 1 true post bacc, and it's in Erie, PA (They also have an MS program, but don't do that if you want to go to medical school because it doesn't have matriculation with the med school, and it's a 2 year program).

As far as campuses go, the LECOM post bacc (completed in Erie, PA) will allow you to then go to either the Erie campus, the Seton Hill, PA campus, or Bradenton, FL campus when you are finished. If you are higher up in class rank you can pick your campus and pathway (lecture-discussion pathway, directed-study pathway, or problem-based learning). The Bradenton campus only offers PBL, but Seton Hill and Erie have all the options.

LECOM has only 1 true post bacc, and it's in Erie, PA (They also have an MS program, but don't do that if you want to go to medical school because it doesn't have matriculation with the med school, and it's a 2 year program).

As far as campuses go, the LECOM post bacc (completed in Erie, PA) will allow you to then go to either the Erie campus, the Seton Hill, PA campus, or Bradenton, FL campus when you are finished. If you are higher up in class rank you can pick your campus and pathway (lecture-discussion pathway, directed-study pathway, or problem-based learning). The Bradenton campus only offers PBL, but Seton Hill and Erie have all the options.

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation!

What GPA do they take into account when applying to the post-bacc? Do you like input your grades on a app. or is it the transcript GPA from your undergrad school? Also would it be considered late to apply at the end of spring semester?

What GPA do they take into account when applying to the post-bacc? Do you like input your grades on a app. or is it the transcript GPA from your undergrad school? Also would it be considered late to apply at the end of spring semester?
Just apply to their medical school through AACOMAS. When you get your primary, they give you a website login for the portal. You click post-bacc inquiry and then it will automatically transfer all your info from your medical school application.

The Bradenton campus now offers a one year masters program that guarantees an interview if you get above a 3.2 and meet the rest of their requirements. You also matriculate for the class that starts in the fall, if you are accepted. The interview is really only for the Bradenton campus however, so keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation!

There is an entire forum dedicated to these issues for the OP if he wants more info on post-baccs, and there is also this website that talks about exactly what you are looking for : https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017_post-bacc-programs.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Best of luck, and if you want more info on post-baccs, feel free to message me!

Edit: Well this is an old thread so nvm, but hope this helps anyone else.

Reactions: 1 users
Just apply to their medical school through AACOMAS. When you get your primary, they give you a website login for the portal. You click post-bacc inquiry and then it will automatically transfer all your info from your medical school application.

Would you know if students are allowed to take the MCAT while in the Postbac program since the exam is not required for admissions? Thanks!

Would you know if students are allowed to take the MCAT while in the Postbac program since the exam is not required for admissions? Thanks!
How could they prevent you from taking the MCAT? If you meant would there be time, it would definitely be difficult but not impossible if you are committed.

Yes, and it's not undergrad 3.0. Getting a 3.0 here is like a 3.8 in undergrad, which makes sense because it is supposed to prove you will do well in medical school. They just released first semester stats and the average GPA was 2.97, which doesn't include the 30-40 people who failed out.

So what happens to the people who just miss the 3.0 cutt off?

So what happens to the people who just miss the 3.0 cutt off?

They don't get in. Only 3.0 or above will be accepted, assuming they don't horribly screw up the interview. They will still give interview the 2.8-2.9 people probably towards the end of the year, but won't make a decision until after final grades come out. They don't make exceptions if you have a 2.99, so they have to wait.

They don't get in. Only 3.0 or above will be accepted, assuming they don't horribly screw up the interview. They will still give interview the 2.8-2.9 people probably towards the end of the year, but won't make a decision until after final grades come out. They don't make exceptions if you have a 2.99, so they have to wait.

And getting a 3.0 in the program is like getting a 3.8 in undergrad? Oh geeze, maybe I should rethink LECOM for post bacc. Although, every other school has even higher requirements for matriculation. I think its VCOM that requires a 3.6 for automatic acceptance and BCOM a 3.5.

And getting a 3.0 in the program is like getting a 3.8 in undergrad? Oh geeze, maybe I should rethink LECOM for post bacc. Although, every other school has even higher requirements for matriculation. I think its VCOM that requires a 3.6 for automatic acceptance and BCOM a 3.5.

Each school is different, so I can't speak for how those schools work. But, I will say that if you can't get a 3.0 in LECOM's post bacc, then you shouldn't be in medical school anyway. I wasn't trying to scare you or anything....I don't think it's that difficult at all, just a lot of information but that's really it.

You shouldn't shy away from high expectations/requirements. If you can't commit and get a 3.0 in their SMP I'm sorry but you don't have what it takes to be a physician. The mindset on pre-Osteo right now of looking for the surest bet/easiest route is ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users
You shouldn't shy away from high expectations/requirements. If you can't commit and get a 3.0 in their SMP I'm sorry but you don't have what it takes to be a physician. The mindset on pre-Osteo right now of looking for the surest bet/easiest route is ridiculous.

Exactly. If you cant get at least at 3.0 GPA in a masters program, what makes you think you're going to succeed in medical school (where the flow of info is much faster)?

Any of you know the class size for this program? Although there is no guarantee into the DO program, the low tuition of LECOM when compared to VCOM or BCOM is promising.

Hey @kovalchuk71

Is it true that you don't need an MCAT (use SAT instead) to fill the standardized test requirement to get matriculated into the program?

Any of you know the class size for this program? Although there is no guarantee into the DO program, the low tuition of LECOM when compared to VCOM or BCOM is promising.

The class size is around 16o (ours was 170 though). And there pretty much is a guarantee as long as you don't fail out or blow the interview.

Why would you be considering any post bac program if you've been accepted to podiatry school?

Hey @kovalchuk71

Is it true that you don't need an MCAT (use SAT instead) to fill the standardized test requirement to get matriculated into the program?

From the LECOM site
  • Applicants may be evaluated by using an Academic Index Score (AIS) rather than an MCAT in order to be considered for the program. This is calculated by using an SAT (math/reading) OR an ACT score combined with an overall undergraduate GPA. If an applicant has taken the MCAT exam, results must be within three years of the application year. Applicants who took the MCAT exam after April 2015 and are not using the AIS, must score in the 40th percentile or higher to successfully matriculate from the Post Bac program to the DO program.”
So no, you don't.

EDIT: see below and don't listen to my stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the LECOM site
  • Applicants may be evaluated by using an Academic Index Score (AIS) rather than an MCAT in order to be considered for the program. This is calculated by using an SAT (math/reading) OR an ACT score combined with an overall undergraduate GPA. If an applicant has taken the MCAT exam, results must be within three years of the application year. Applicants who took the MCAT exam after April 2015 and are not using the AIS, must score in the 40th percentile or higher to successfully matriculate from the Post Bac program to the DO program.”
So no, you don't. But my honest guess is that individuals with MCAT scores that are decent will be given precent as long as their GPAs aren't a complete mess.

Still apply though!!! You know as much as I do :)

That's actually not true that they weigh the MCAT more. The guy at LECOM who decided to implement this AIS score doesn't believe that the MCAT specifically is an accurate predictor of board scores (which is why schools look at your MCAT in the first place; the GPA shows how well you will do in med school, the MCAT shows your COMLEX and USMLE). Before he went to med school, he spent thousands of hours rounding with a family member who was a surgeon (I forget exactly what he did). When he took the MCAT he said it was stupid and nothing like med school or indicative of what being a doctor is like (he got a 23 or 24 on it I can't remember). I think him making the AIS was him sticking it to the system a little bit, but I kind of agree with the idea... As long as you show on some standardized test that you can do decent, and you have a good GPA, then you deserve a chance at seeing if you can handle med school, which is what the postbacc is. He ended up getting in the 99th percentile on his boards.

That's actually not true that they weigh the MCAT more. The guy at LECOM who decided to implement this AIS score doesn't believe that the MCAT specifically is an accurate predictor of board scores (which is why schools look at your MCAT in the first place; the GPA shows how well you will do in med school, the MCAT shows your COMLEX and USMLE). Before he went to med school, he spent thousands of hours rounding with a family member who was a surgeon (I forget exactly what he did). When he took the MCAT he said it was stupid and nothing like med school or indicative of what being a doctor is like (he got a 23 or 24 on it I can't remember). I think him making the AIS was him sticking it to the system a little bit, but I kind of agree with the idea... As long as you show on some standardized test that you can do decent, and you have a good GPA, then you deserve a chance at seeing if you can handle med school, which is what the postbacc is. He ended up getting in the 99th percentile on his boards.

And there we go. Great info!

So.... just to recap: you DON'T submit MCAT if you haven't taken it. You also don't need it if you get into the post-bacc program and get at least 3.0 gpa?

Does anyone know what a competitive AIS might be? (I might pursue this since my SAT was on the high end)

It says 109 is the minimum.

Last edited:
So.... just to recap: you DON'T submit MCAT if you haven't taken it. You also don't need it if you get into the post-bacc program and get at least 3.0 gpa?

Does anyone know what a competitive AIS might be? (I might pursue this since my SAT was on the high end)

It says 109 is the minimum.
Go on LECOM's website....It has the AIS calculator.

Go on LECOM's website....It has the AIS calculator.

Meeting the minimum doesn't necessarily mean it's competitive. AIS can only calculate whether you meet the minimum or not. It's difficult to gauge context without seeing data.

Meeting the minimum doesn't necessarily mean it's competitive. AIS can only calculate whether you meet the minimum or not. It's difficult to gauge context without seeing data.

There isn't hard data on postbacc applicants, so you'll have to use common sense. Look at your AIS and compare it to 109. You should be able to tell if you are considerably above that minimum, or not. According to you, you scored "on the high end" of the SAT, so I don't see how you wouldn't be competitive with that. I had a 3.0 overall GPA, which got me accepted to a bunch of postbaccs, though I didn't use the AIS. My roommate did though, and he was accepted with I think around 110-111. From what I have seen, the minimum actually is competitive.

There isn't hard data on postbacc applicants, so you'll have to use common sense. Look at your AIS and compare it to 109. You should be able to tell if you are considerably above that minimum, or not. According to you, you scored "on the high end" of the SAT, so I don't see how you wouldn't be competitive with that. I had a 3.0 overall GPA, which got me accepted to a bunch of postbaccs, though I didn't use the AIS. My roommate did though, and he was accepted with I think around 110-111. From what I have seen, the minimum actually is competitive.

I had around 110 and was invited to interview at LECOM (DO program) last year for anyone interested in the AIS score.

Thanks @DantheManimal

In my experience I rarely saw a case where minimal = competitive so I was debating whether it'd be even worth it to apply.