LECOM Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

respectedmadman

OMS-IV
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wondering if any current students could speak to the research opportunities available at the Erie campus. I'm going for an interview at one of the LECOM campuses, but I'm trying to decide where to mark my preference. I'm pretty sure I want to utilize the PBL pathway.

My question is: Are a lot of students involved in research at Erie? Do the other campuses have other means of getting involved in research, maybe through U Pitt Greensburg for Seton Hill? Or, is there even time for research? Is it better to just find summer opportunities?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Several classmates are doing research in Erie. One has an advanced math degree and his research contribution was in crunching all the statistical data. Another does some kinda research on mice in the lab. Some research being done has made headlines....such as use of dogs sense of smell to screen for cancer....the head of Anatomy has also recently published Autism research that made national headlines. During your first semester, school will advertise research opportunities. Also, IIRC you must have at least a 3.0 to do research. PBL is offered at all 3 campuses. I'm PBL in Erie and I wouldn't choose any other pathway.
Lastly, a PBL classmate of mine chose to do research in Philly over the past summer at another institution....so you're not limited to LECOM.

Not a ton of research opportunities in LECOM in general, but there are a few in Erie. Most of the people that did research though did so outside of the school. At Seton Hill I remember a handful of people in the class doing the Schweitzer Fellowship, which seemed like a good opportunity and people would meet with students from UPMC and elsewhere in Pittsburgh.

Honestly, I wouldn't choose a location based purely on research opportunities. If you're motivated to get it done, you'll find it no matter where you go.

I also strongly recommend PBL, but might suggest Seton Hill due purely to how rigid admin is over at Erie. That said, if memory serves even PBL in Erie is technically at a different place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several classmates are doing research in Erie. One has an advanced math degree and his research contribution was in crunching all the statistical data. Another does some kinda research on mice in the lab. Some research being done has made headlines....such as use of dogs sense of smell to screen for cancer....the head of Anatomy has also recently published Autism research that made national headlines. During your first semester, school will advertise research opportunities. Also, IIRC you must have at least a 3.0 to do research. PBL is offered at all 3 campuses. I'm PBL in Erie and I wouldn't choose any other pathway.
Lastly, a PBL classmate of mine chose to do research in Philly over the past summer at another institution....so you're not limited to LECOM.
Thank you for the insight!

Not a ton of research opportunities in LECOM in general, but there are a few in Erie. Most of the people that did research though did so outside of the school. At Seton Hill I remember a handful of people in the class doing the Schweitzer Fellowship, which seemed like a good opportunity and people would meet with students from UPMC and elsewhere in Pittsburgh.

Honestly, I wouldn't choose a location based purely on research opportunities. If you're motivated to get it done, you'll find it no matter where you go.

I also strongly recommend PBL, but might suggest Seton Hill due purely to how rigid admin is over at Erie. That said, if memory serves even PBL in Erie is technically at a different place.
I'm definitely thinking PBL, so this helps. Thank you!