LECOM rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aks3574

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that in LECOM 3rd year - one has to take the rotation, and then shelf exam and then also an internal exam worth 20% of marks. Has anyone heard that? Is that a good practice?

Has the rotation issue been all sorted out at LECOM - Erie? Seems form other posts that there used to be an issue in scheduling rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

I can see this conversation quickly devolving into another "Why We Hate LECOM" thread :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that pdf and found this there. I am wondering if that is a detriment (rotation + shelf + one more exam) as compared to other schools. How is it in other schools...if anyone can share their experience.
Would having such a testing method be a reason to avoid LECOM?

I saw that pdf and found this there. I am wondering if that is a detriment (rotation + shelf + one more exam) as compared to other schools. How is it in other schools...if anyone can share their experience.
Would having such a testing method be a reason to avoid LECOM?
Clerkship handbook says “quizzes”. Nothing about an internal exam. I could be wrong but I’m assuming that these quizzes are like any other quiz in that they are set up just to make sure you’re actively studying and prepared for the exam. I could be wrong so it would be nice to hear from some current or former LECOM students.

The internal exam is just an timed online end of rotation quiz. The quizzes aren't bad, at worst they're annoying, at best they help boost your grade. I definitely wouldn't worry about it or let it be a deciding factor for attending LECOM.
As for your question about rotation scheduling I haven't heard of any major issues. Aside from electives and family your third year rotations get set up for you and are mostly at one hospital. Fourth year is a lot of electives/selective you set up yourself but that isn't unique to LECOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Current fourth year. Have had no major rotations issues.

Grades on core rotations are 50% eval, 30% shelf, 20% online curriculum. The online curriculum is annoying but will almost always boost your grade, so it’s not a reason to avoid LECOM.

Hello! I'm a current MMS student and most likely going to go the LECOM-B next year. Just to clarify the 3rd year the school sets up your rotations for you and they are going to be your core rotations. 4th year you pick elective rotations, and those you have to schedule and contact on your own? Does this mean that you could potentially have rotations in different cities or are all of your rotations going to be at one hospital? Also, how do they decide who goes where, because I know a lot of the affiliated hospitals are outside or PA and FL, so how does that work?

Hello! I'm a current MMS student and most likely going to go the LECOM-B next year. Just to clarify the 3rd year the school sets up your rotations for you and they are going to be your core rotations. 4th year you pick elective rotations, and those you have to schedule and contact on your own? Does this mean that you could potentially have rotations in different cities or are all of your rotations going to be at one hospital? Also, how do they decide who goes where, because I know a lot of the affiliated hospitals are outside or PA and FL, so how does that work?

Hi :) Do you have an answer to this question? I am doing the MMS this coming July and am wondering the same thing!

Don't LECOM students have to set up thier own rotations?
Sounds like a headache.

Correct. They have affiliated hospitals and their own hospital where you get placed at.

Oh okay awesome! Thank you :)

Also, if you want to stay in Florida, can you or is it inevitable to end up elsewhere?

Reactions: 1 users
Also, if you want to stay in Florida, can you or is it inevitable to end up elsewhere?
I have the same question. I really would prefer to have rotations close by.

Yeah same... Does anyone on this thread know about this? :)
From what I’ve gathered you rank your top three hospitals you would like to be at and hope you get put there. Of course there are some that don’t work out but if you want to stay in Florida I would just rank all three Florida.

I’ve been told we will have to do a 4 week geriatrics rotation in PA once in our third year.

From what I’ve gathered you rank your top three hospitals you would like to be at and hope you get put there. Of course there are some that don’t work out but if you want to stay in Florida I would just rank all three Florida.

I’ve been told we will have to do a 4 week geriatrics rotation in PA once in our third year.
Hey Tarpolian, as you know I am currently in the MMS as well. I've been searching around the forum for information on research at Bradenton but havent found much. From your experience as an M1 (for the past month), do you feel if you hustle you'll be able to find opportunities or are your overall chances of landing something minimal?

Hey Tarpolian, as you know I am currently in the MMS as well. I've been searching around the forum for information on research at Bradenton but havent found much. From your experience as an M1 (for the past month), do you feel if you hustle you'll be able to find opportunities or are your overall chances of landing something minimal?
I actually had my best luck over the summer between MMS and M1. Dr. Gnarra is the director of research and I bet he will let you get involved with something in late spring once you interview and stuff. They told us that as OMS1's we are not allowed to be involved with research (other than lit review) until we finish our first semester and have a 3.0+ GPA. You have ample opportunity to do some kind of research idk if it will be in the field that you want on campus but people I have talked to in clubs (like ortho) say that they can go do research at another research center over the summer if they have time.

I actually had my best luck over the summer between MMS and M1. Dr. Gnarra is the director of research and I bet he will let you get involved with something in late spring once you interview and stuff. They told us that as OMS1's we are not allowed to be involved with research (other than lit review) until we finish our first semester and have a 3.0+ GPA. You have ample opportunity to do some kind of research idk if it will be in the field that you want on campus but people I have talked to in clubs (like ortho) say that they can go do research at another research center over the summer if they have time.
Thank you thats such a relief to hear. I was planning on setting up a meeting with Dr. Gnarra and inquiring since I do not have any experience in research, to start earlier so that I can quickly learn and actually be helpful.

Hi guys, what happens to LECOM students who don't find their own rotation in time? For example, 3rd year LECOM students have to set up their own family medicine rotation. My friend can't find anyone to "host" them for the rotation because LECOM doesn't pay for it and it has to be during a specific time frame (no VSAS electives available). Their academic advisor has not offered assistance, and the hospital at which they will have the rest of their rotations said that they do not do family medicine rotations, and to talk to LECOM. They do not have family friends/connections who are doctors.