LECOM-- Seton Hill Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello guys !

I got transferred to Erie in January 2013...

Is it easy to transfer to Erie? Did you have to (or want to) switch to LDP to get a spot at Erie?

...There is no issue in finding rotations, there is an abundance of them. The people in Bradenton I can't speak for but if they want to come North they choose rotations after all of us (erie+seton hill) have chosen ours. Still I believe there is more rotations then students to fill them, now the quality of all of these isn't the same. You can choose inpatient vs outpatient on electives and selectives-but this isnt really possible for cores-these are all hospital based, YOU setup your own family med, selective, elective rotations (5 total 3rd year) and at least in 3rd year you choose a 13, or end up choosing cores from a list that LECOM provides. "Bad" rotations are known, and can kind of be avoided-but no one (except 13ers) get exactly what they want, do not think your rotation schedule will be perfect, it wont be, give and take and prepare yourself for last minute changes, sh#t happens.

So Seton Hill students get put into the same lottery system that Erie gets? For the 5 you set up yourself, is this the same at Erie, and how exactly do you do that? Do you just contact the hospitals?

I heard that some rotations are available in San Diego, is that still the case?

Members don't see this ad.

So Seton Hill students get put into the same lottery system that Erie gets? For the 5 you set up yourself, is this the same at Erie, and how exactly do you do that? Do you just contact the hospitals?

I heard that some rotations are available in San Diego, is that still the case?
Yeah, Seton Hill students are in the same rotation groups as Erie students. You'll make picks at the same time via video conference.

For electives/selectives you just contact the hospital's medical education department directly. For FM you contact the doctor directly. It's really easy to set rotations up, the hard part is getting some of the medical education people to reply to you in a timely manner. Some places take months, so start early.

Yeah, there are a few rotations in San Diego, only enough for one person though. If another person in your group chooses it, expect to spend half the year there and half the year in Erie. That happened to the two in my group. Oh, and you're not exempt from mandatories either, so still plan on being in the Erie area for at least two rotations. San Diego really isn't as great as it sounds.

Yeah, Seton Hill students are in the same rotation groups as Erie students. You'll make picks at the same time via video conference.

For electives/selectives you just contact the hospital's medical education department directly. For FM you contact the doctor directly. It's really easy to set rotations up, the hard part is getting some of the medical education people to reply to you in a timely manner. Some places take months, so start early.

Yeah, there are a few rotations in San Diego, only enough for one person though. If another person in your group chooses it, expect to spend half the year there and half the year in Erie. That happened to the two in my group. Oh, and you're not exempt from mandatories either, so still plan on being in the Erie area for at least two rotations. San Diego really isn't as great as it sounds.

Thanks for the response! That's really helpful, I'm really just trying to decide if PBL is right for me, or if I'd be better off with LDP at Erie.

As far as San Diego goes, I just have some sick family in southern CA, so I've been traveling back and forth for a while now anyways. Obviously, I won't be able to do that in OMS1/OMS2, so any chance of spending an extended amount of time close to them is a plus for me and my wife.

Members don't see this ad :)
LDP sucks. If you have any hesitation at all about spending 40-hours/week in class, go PBL or ISP. It's almost impossible to switch from LDP to PBL or ISP. But LECOM always allows transfers from PBL or ISP into LDP. That's my $0.02

Thanks for the response! That's really helpful, I'm really just trying to decide if PBL is right for me, or if I'd be better off with LDP at Erie.

As far as San Diego goes, I just have some sick family in southern CA, so I've been traveling back and forth for a while now anyways. Obviously, I won't be able to do that in OMS1/OMS2, so any chance of spending an extended amount of time close to them is a plus for me and my wife.

there were a bunch of year long spots out in san diego this year. i know a few people that are spending all of omsIII there. its not a single site but a large group of docs from what i understand

Looks like LECOM's relationship with UPMC has gone sour, those of you thinking of rotating in and around Pittsburgh as your primary area are going to have some trouble, mostly due to the fact UPMC runs the show in western PA.

Currently all rotations have stopped at UPMC,

Just an fyi

Looks like LECOM's relationship with UPMC has gone sour, those of you thinking of rotating in and around Pittsburgh as your primary area are going to have some trouble, mostly due to the fact UPMC runs the show in western PA.

Currently all rotations have stopped at UPMC,

Just an fyi

ugh when did this happen....haven't heard about it yet. does this include hamot?

ugh when did this happen....haven't heard about it yet. does this include hamot?
Yes, we're barred from rotating at any UPMC facility, even for electives as of right now.

The only one I have heard it may not include is Horizon

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

The only one I have heard it may not include is Horizon

But Horizon is essentially just a podunk community hospital--it affects the major trauma centers, NICU's, surgical subspecialties--all the good stuff really.

But Horizon is essentially just a podunk community hospital--it affects the major trauma centers, NICU's, surgical subspecialties--all the good stuff really.

Exactly. Sucks for a lot of students in western pa, that want to rotate at big centers

Hola ! will be joining you guys in fall

Why has LECOM's relationship with UPMC gone "sour"? That is very concerning as UPMC dominates the region. Where do the Seton Hill students do rotations? Excela and WPAHS?

Personal experience, yes. Maybe some people have gotten by without it but I would advise against that.

I personally loved PBL. I think its been well described before the type of people who thrive in the PBL environment, and if you are that kind of person I think you should definitely go for it. You will see the results come Step 1 time at the end of 2nd year. The couple of things I would say: 1) Do not get behind in your reading... it piles up quickly if you do. 2) Find a study style that works for you .... and if its not working for you, don't be afraid to change it. Don't just read and reread the chapters. Do questions, talk it out in groups, find audio lectures, make outlines, whatever works for you. This make take a little trial and error. 3) Don't let other people who talk up their study time psych you out. People lie and its not about time or the # of times re-reading a chapter. 4) Don't be afraid to ask for help if you're not figuring out something that works for you. Other people have good ideas too.

For the campus - honestly it doesn't matter. The profs that were there when I was there I think are still mostly the same. Some are better than others. But really truely in PBL it doesn't matter. Its about you and how much quality time and effort you put in. Medical school in general is about you taking charge and responsibility for your own education. No one there will spoon feed you and unless something has changed, no one will come find you if you do poorly and hold your hand. So long as you have that understanding going into it, I think you will be happy. If you go into LECOM PBL thinking someone is going to "teach you" you will be disappointed. You will simply be given the tools and the resources and then be tested.

Can anyone comment more on the issue between LECOM and UPMC? What reason did UPMC have for barring LECOM students and is there any indication that they're working towards a resolution?

Was just accepted to SH LECOM. If anyone here can please PM me I would be grateful to have a few questions answered. Thanks!

If any current LECOM SH student is still active on sdn, please PM me I would really appreciate talking about your time there!