LECOM Seton Hill vs NYITCOM-OW (vs Marian/KCUCOM-KC)

Started by dr. scully
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr. scully

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m accepted at LECOM Seton Hill and on the waitlist at NYITCOM-OW. Now that more waitlist movement is expected to start up, I’m trying to decide whether I should accept an offer from NYITCOM if I hear from them or even send a letter of intent. I’m also waitlisted at KCU-KC & Marian but I’m not really passionate about those programs, so insight on those would be helpful too.


LECOM Seton Hill
Pros
  • small class size
  • faculty seems to really prioritize student success/be very supportive
  • cheapest tuition and super cheap cost of living
  • PBL
Cons
  • farther from home (~500 miles/not a driveable distance)
  • letter grading
  • land locked and rural (which drove me crazy in undergrad)
I'm also waitlisted at DUQCOM and I liked it there, but I don't know if I can justify higher tuition at a brand new program in the same area as LECOM, and missing out on scholarships that require full accreditation
*I don't care about the required attendance, dress code, or no food/drink in class situation, so that's not a factor


NYITCOM-OW
Pros
  • closer to home (3.5 hr drive)
  • P/F grading
  • cadaver lab
  • overall really great vibes during interview/info sessions
  • like the area/much less rural
Cons
  • significantly more expensive tuition & cost of living
  • larger class size
  • from what I've read, less direct support from faculty/admin overall

KCU-KC/Marian

Pros
  • well established & good reputation
  • in a city environment
Cons
  • overall just don’t like their programs as much
  • significantly farther from home (both are more than twice as far as LECOM)
  • KCU, all the posts I’ve read from past or current students are generally pretty negative/the only positive is “they get the job done”
  • Marian, I didn’t get a good impression from the faculty/students/admin during my interview and info sessions, their attitudes just didn’t seem to mesh well with mine

Summary: Honestly, if money was no object, l'd go with NYITCOM. I applied all DO and there are no DO schools in my state (MA); the dream was UNECOM but I still haven’t heard back from my secondary in June. It's a major priority for me to get a residency spot back in MA or at least New England. Would being in NY over PA help make much of a difference there? Are the reasons I prefer NYITCOM worth it for paying nearly double the price? I just feel like the two biggest considerations I see in these threads is cheaper tuition and proximity to home/family, and these schools are opposites in those. Or, is the reputation of Marian or KCU worth more than all of the above to the point where I should just suck it up that it’s so far?
 
Last edited:
summary of my apps:
-accepted: LECOM Seton Hill (withdrew acceptances from PNWU & Noorda)
-waitlisted: DUQCOM, MUCOM, KCUCOM-KCU, NYITCOM-OW
-no updates since submitting secondary in the summer: OSUCOM, PCOM-PA, RVSOM, UNECOM
& plenty of other rejections

may also be worth noting that I'm 100% going for some kind of primary care
 
I’m accepted at LECOM Seton Hill and on the waitlist at NYITCOM-OW. Now that more waitlist movement is expected to start up, I’m trying to decide whether I should accept an offer from NYITCOM if I hear from them or even send a letter of intent. I’m also waitlisted at KCU-KC & Marian but I’m not really passionate about those programs, so insight on those would be helpful too.


LECOM Seton Hill
Pros
  • small class size
  • faculty seems to really prioritize student success/be very supportive
  • cheapest tuition and super cheap cost of living
  • PBL
Cons
  • farther from home (~500 miles/not a driveable distance)
  • letter grading
  • land locked and rural (which drove me crazy in undergrad)
I'm also waitlisted at DUQCOM and I liked it there, but I don't know if I can justify higher tuition at a brand new program in the same area as LECOM, and missing out on scholarships that require full accreditation
*I don't care about the required attendance, dress code, or no food/drink in class situation, so that's not a factor


NYITCOM-OW
Pros
  • closer to home (3.5 hr drive)
  • P/F grading
  • cadaver lab
  • overall really great vibes during interview/info sessions
  • like the area/much less rural
Cons
  • significantly more expensive tuition & cost of living
  • larger class size
  • from what I've read, less direct support from faculty/admin overall

KCU-KC/Marian

Pros
  • well established & good reputation
  • in a city environment
Cons
  • overall just don’t like their programs as much
  • significantly farther from home (both are more than twice as far as LECOM)
  • KCU, all the posts I’ve read from past or current students are generally pretty negative/the only positive is “they get the job done”
  • Marian, I didn’t get a good impression from the faculty/students/admin during my interview and info sessions, their attitudes just didn’t seem to mesh well with mine

Summary: Honestly, if money was no object, l'd go with NYITCOM. I applied all DO and there are no DO schools in my state (MA); the dream was UNECOM but I still haven’t heard back from my secondary in June. It's a major priority for me to get a residency spot back in MA or at least New England. Would being in NY over PA help make much of a difference there? Are the reasons I prefer NYITCOM worth it for paying nearly double the price? I just feel like the two biggest considerations I see in these threads is cheaper tuition and proximity to home/family, and these schools are opposites in those. Or, is the reputation of Marian or KCU worth more than all of the above to the point where I should just suck it up that it’s so far?
Always go with the cheaper tuition. Your 50 year old self will thank you.