LECOM Vs. NYCOM Comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2B-Finally

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Here is my humble rendition of LECOM Vs. NYCOM Comparison.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE note that I have no intention of starting another word-war. It is what it is, my objective comparision of 2 schools. So don't get your guns out.
You can obtain it here

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the document that I have created.

Attachments

• LECOM Vs. NYCOM.doc
    43.5 KB · Views: 292
Just curious why you think the quality of life at NYCOM is so bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, you weren't trying to start a flame war??? Come on. :p

BTW, LECOM's incoming classes are about 225. With Lecom B, the total is about 375.

Good luck with this thread. You're going to need it. :D

sddoc said:
Seriously, you weren't trying to start a flame war??? Come on. :p

BTW, LECOM's incoming classes are about 225. With Lecom B, the total is about 375.

Good luck with this thread. You're going to need it. :D

Nice job Doc2be. THis is good information. I know you've svaed me a little bit of time. Thanks for shareing.

I think the incoming class is 170, I noticed one person thought it was 325, but I think thats between the two schools. I am actually sure the incoming class at Erie is 170. So it's similar to most other schools, maybe a little bigger.

If it matters to anyone, you may want to add a column "how far from home" .
It matters to me, i envision comming home for the holidays, and it does make a difference.

but anyways, nice job DOC2be.

For those of you getting a upset, this is a fact finding thread, were not rooting for our hometown football team. Lets not get defensive of or emotional. Well save that for when we are all into our respective schools.

Hi, could you please give me cons/pros of NYCOM versus LECOM? I don't really have that choice. I only have an interview at NYCOM coming up, and I understand it is late season. So here are some of the things to consider:

1) I am from nyc suburbs and I know it's not in nyc. I could see myself living in nyc as a resident, it would be great experience. But I understand that no matter the specialty it would be hard to match if it's competitive and not hard if it's some community program in a non-competitive specialty. Hence, I doubt that location is a plus or a con.

2) Anatomy is not my strongest subject. And I am afraid if I had to dissect (as in system based curriculum at nycom), I would spend too much effort on anatomy. I definitely do not mind the prosections in pbl at lecom. If I were in a system based curriculum I would prefer to have access to some pdf notesets about whatever the professor is going to say so that I don't have to write down anything during class. I really hate writing things...

3) I would like to get to do rotations at some of the hospitals in the nycomec system, but I don't really know how bad the rotations are at lecom?

4) Physical Exam Learning-- I think I am very weak at interpersonal communications and all that. And I would like to get some training during the first 2years, some practice so I could feel comfortable to interact with patients and with my superiors. How is the quality of the physical exam class? I also don't want to spend too much on it or on omm because it's important for me to do well on step1.
Thanks.

Hi, could you please give me cons/pros of NYCOM versus LECOM? I don't really have that choice. I only have an interview at NYCOM coming up, and I understand it is late season. So here are some of the things to consider:

1) I am from nyc suburbs and I know it's not in nyc. I could see myself living in nyc as a resident, it would be great experience. But I understand that no matter the specialty it would be hard to match if it's competitive and not hard if it's some community program in a non-competitive specialty. Hence, I doubt that location is a plus or a con.

2) Anatomy is not my strongest subject. And I am afraid if I had to dissect (as in system based curriculum at nycom), I would spend too much effort on anatomy. I definitely do not mind the prosections in pbl at lecom. If I were in a system based curriculum I would prefer to have access to some pdf notesets about whatever the professor is going to say so that I don't have to write down anything during class. I really hate writing things...

3) I would like to get to do rotations at some of the hospitals in the nycomec system, but I don't really know how bad the rotations are at lecom?

4) Physical Exam Learning-- I think I am very weak at interpersonal communications and all that. And I would like to get some training during the first 2years, some practice so I could feel comfortable to interact with patients and with my superiors. How is the quality of the physical exam class? I also don't want to spend too much on it or on omm because it's important for me to do well on step1.
Thanks.

At NYCOM you will be given all of the powerpoints/PDFs that the lecturer is using before class, so in class you only take notes that help you. You wont be dissecting the entire cadaver yourself, you have a group to work with you, and NYCOM also uses prosections on top of this, so you get to see everything. NYCOM also has a PBL pathway if thats what you are interested in. You will also have labs called DPR labs where you will learn to do physical exams/histories at NYCOM. Its about twice per month, sometimes once, and its good instruction on this topic. You will also need to practice these techniques in a practical exam on a patient in the Institute for clinical competence at least once per system (to make sure you know it).

At NYCOM you will be given all of the powerpoints/PDFs that the lecturer is using before class, so in class you only take notes that help you. You wont be dissecting the entire cadaver yourself, you have a group to work with you, and NYCOM also uses prosections on top of this, so you get to see everything. NYCOM also has a PBL pathway if thats what you are interested in. You will also have labs called DPR labs where you will learn to do physical exams/histories at NYCOM. Its about twice per month, sometimes once, and its good instruction on this topic. You will also need to practice these techniques in a practical exam on a patient in the Institute for clinical competence at least once per system (to make sure you know it).

Hey, I just found in your previous posts that at NYCOM 80% of the grade on rotations is derived from shelf exams. I wonder how it is at Lecom? But I do know that I am much better at standardized tests than at showing "enthusiasm" or whatever. So shelf exams would be a good deal for me.

I wouldnt recommend LECOM if you want to be involved in school because they require a 3.0 GPA (many schools have NO requirement) to do basically anything, i.e. be an officer in a club, go on school trips, etc!! 75/104 in our class does NOT have a 3.0 GPA so we are always scrambling for people to staff our clubs.
it sucks.

Well while this is good advice.. I think since this guy is now a resident the information isn't very relevant.

My decision to go with lecom was based on the PBL curriculum. My advice would be to sit in on a PBL session and see if you would prefer that over a lecture based system (although I do hear a small group at NYCOM now does PBL as well). Aside from the teaching methods, there is no question the cost of attending LECOM will be less. On the plus side for NYCOM, they do have some great rotation sites and affiliations. In summary, PBL+cost+palm trees = LECOM for me.

I also find it impressive the cost of tuition has not risen very much for LECOM in the last 6 years, whereas it seems most schools have a rather large increase from year to year.