Lecom vs. Pcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm interviewing at LECOM and PCOM in two weeks and I must say that I'm not thrilled about the LECOM dress code. For those who think the dress code is beneficial, you can dress professionally and attend all of your classes if you wish to at any school, why does it matter to you if your classmates choose to do it differently.

Members don't see this ad.

Professionalism is a statement of attitude, not clothing.

It really intrigued me to just look at the differences in our classes on Thursday (when students are dressed in OMM attire-- shorts and t-shirts), as compared to other days. While it may not yet be ready for publication, the preliminary information shows that students tend to slouch less, pay attention more, and retain more information when they are dressed in professional attire, as opposed to much more comfortable clothing.

Perhaps dressing well has more of an effect than we yet know/

Do PCOMers have to dress up for simulated patients? That probably should be a rule. But I agree that in lecture it is not a big deal either way. JP, shouldn't you be dressed up for you OMM lab as an instructor?

Members don't see this ad :)
It really intrigued me to just look at the differences in our classes on Thursday (when students are dressed in OMM attire-- shorts and t-shirts), as compared to other days. While it may not yet be ready for publication, the preliminary information shows that students tend to slouch less, pay attention more, and retain more information when they are dressed in professional attire, as opposed to much more comfortable clothing.

Perhaps dressing well has more of an effect than we yet know/

Id be interested in reading some of that information from those studies.

Do PCOMers have to dress up for simulated patients? That probably should be a rule. But I agree that in lecture it is not a big deal either way. JP, shouldn't you be dressed up for you OMM lab as an instructor?

Yes we have to dress up for standardized patients with our white coats. From what I know that hasnt changed since I was a first & second year.

I wear slacks, shoes and a button down shirt, sometimes a sweater, when I am in OMM lab. My tie remains on pending the outcome of lunch and what ended up spilled on it. :)

If I am leading lab or giving a guest lecture to one of the organizations on campus I do shirt & tie always, and I do a suit when I give presentations to visiting organizations or when I go off campus to teach.

I'm interviewing at LECOM and PCOM in two weeks and I must say that I'm not thrilled about the LECOM dress code. For those who think the dress code is beneficial, you can dress professionally and attend all of your classes if you wish to at any school, why does it matter to you if your classmates choose to do it differently.

Agreed.

Let me know when you will be here at PCOM. I'll come introduce myself.

Best of luck on interviews.

Agreed.

Let me know when you will be here at PCOM. I'll come introduce myself.

Best of luck on interviews.
I'll be there on Wednesday, December 20th. I'm really excited for it and look forward to meeting you.

If you visit Wharton, Stern, Sloan, HBS, or other top business schools and look at their MBA students, they don't have dress code (for lectures)

If you visit the top law schools, they don't have dress code

Some of the top graudate programs in Public Policy (MPP or MPA) don't have dress code

I can't think of any dental or vet schools that require dress code

Are we to conclude that all these schools, since they don't require their students to dress professionally to class ... that they don't produce quality professionals?

I think it will be between NSU and UMDNJ. I thought UMDNJ was my top choice for sure, but NSU has some big advantages over UMDNJ so I am back to square 1.

Both very good schools. Very different though.

I dont envy the decision you have to make chosing between the two.

Have you already been accepted to both?

Where else have you applied & interviewed besides there?

Either way, good luck with the decision...I dont think you can make a bad choice.

As a first year at LECOM-Erie, I really think the dress code becomes a non-issue after the first week. The girls just have to look "nice", and I think most of the guys forget they are even dressed up after some time.

Also, the attendance policy is not a problem...the only people that are "stuck" in a lecture hall all day are the ones that chose to be there. If you can't stand being in class, then do independent study or problem-based. It is going to be many, many years down the road before you become the top dog and make your own rules, so get over yourself and just do what they ask, it REALLY isn't difficult. I think SDN does much more harm than good at times by just filling all of your minds with meaningless things to worry about.

And to those premeds who are still sorting through their med school options...I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend LECOM. The professors go out of their way to help you succeed (okay, most of them) by staying after class, creating sample exam questions, answering emails all night long, and setting up review sessions...and many of them actually have great personalities :eek: Plus, your classmates will be more than willing to help if you need it.

If you really plan to devote the next 40 years of your life to providing a meaningful service to others and growing as a person, all while trying to keep up with a stack of medical journals and having a family...think about the fact that you are currently worrying yourself over a friggin' tie!!

Both very good schools. Very different though.

I dont envy the decision you have to make chosing between the two.

Have you already been accepted to both?

Where else have you applied & interviewed besides there?

Either way, good luck with the decision...I dont think you can make a bad choice.

Ive been accepted to NSU and I am first on the ranked waitlist at UMDNJ. But the director told me I can get a straight acceptance by either raising the gpa this semester or raising my composite score that 1 extra point I need in some other way. You are right hey are very different schools. Both offer some great qualities. It will be a tough choice.

I interviewed at UNE and got waitlisted there, but wouldn't choose UNE over NSU or UMDNJ.

Members don't see this ad :)
...the tag is made and the team-mate of the initial LECOM MS1er tags in a fresh face (you have to use your imagination to move my post one up because I got distracted while writing this and drkuba beat me to the next post).

"There is a thread where people posted on thier schools," smiles the fellow LECOMer MS1. "Its a fantastic place where everyone wasn't as ready to pick a fight as they are in this one."

Oh look! I posted on that particular thread...http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4227239#post4227239
Imagine that!

1. Sitting in class in khakis and a button down shirt wont help me learn.

And by the way JP, you would be violating the dress code at LECOM in this attire...you have to remember a tie!

I was really trying to avoid getting in this mess, I've been keeping an eye on this post and I really did expect more from you specifically JP based upon past posts and your leadership position (as I understand it) at PCOM. Every school has its strengths and weaknesses, no need to poke at each other with so many already trying to poke at DOs on the whole. A small part of me stopped believing in faries when I saw your intial placing of matches near flammables to start this whole fire, it kinda hurt my heart.

Let's try to stick together a bit more and help each other out, a novel idea, I know...but the AOA would be so darn proud.

The purpose of this post was for the poor kiddo to get some ideas about the schools. I haven't heard about resources, student body life, or curriculums. Lets try to play nicely and maybe we can help out our potential future classmates. Everyone has school pride, but the newbies need help finding out where their very own puzzle piece can fit into this giant mess.

By the way, the LECOM kid that posted above me should PM me and tell me who they are so we can do a face to face high five for this team action.

I was really trying to avoid getting in this mess, I've been keeping an eye on this post and I really did expect more from you specifically JP based upon past posts and your leadership position (as I understand it) at PCOM.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I felt the need to disagree when I was told that you couldnt be a professional unless you were dressed up.

I agree, this thread is a little ridiculous. As a student who was just accepted to LECOM and happens to really like the school, I could care less about what I have to wear each day and more about what material I will be learning in my courses. Knowing alumni from the program I am impressed by there level of competency and think it is far more important of an issue to focus on. No, I do not think you "have" to dress professionally to be seen eventually as a professional but I do see the benefits to the standard and feel that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. If you dont like the dress code, dont go to the school. simple as that. For the initial poster it is very hard to compare osteopathic schools, they aren't really "ranked" anywhere, other than looking at the hard facts of MCAT averages etc... so basically it is more of a personal preference. I dont believe there is a single DO school with a "bad" reputation, so wherever you choose I am sure you will be well prepared for your future career. There are plenty of people already trying to downplay the osteopathic profession without those within it arguing over which school is best. Everyone acccepted to any osteopathic, or allopathic schol for that matter, should be darn proud of their accomplishments and make the best choice of schools for them on a personal level. LOL Sorry for my long winded response, just sitting home, being bored, wanted to put my 2 cents in :D Again, good luck everyone!

I agree, this thread is a little ridiculous. As a student who was just accepted to LECOM and happens to really like the school, I could care less about what I have to wear each day and more about what material I will be learning in my courses. Knowing alumni from the program I am impressed by there level of competency and think it is far more important of an issue to focus on. No, I do not think you "have" to dress professionally to be seen eventually as a professional but I do see the benefits to the standard and feel that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. If you dont like the dress code, dont go to the school. simple as that. For the initial poster it is very hard to compare osteopathic schools, they aren't really "ranked" anywhere, other than looking at the hard facts of MCAT averages etc... so basically it is more of a personal preference. I dont believe there is a single DO school with a "bad" reputation, so wherever you choose I am sure you will be well prepared for your future career. There are plenty of people already trying to downplay the osteopathic profession without those within it arguing over which school is best. Everyone acccepted to any osteopathic, or allopathic schol for that matter, should be darn proud of their accomplishments and make the best choice of schools for them on a personal level. LOL Sorry for my long winded response, just sitting home, being bored, wanted to put my 2 cents in :D Again, good luck everyone!

:thumbup: See you in August!

Dress code is no big deal; especially if you went to a private high school with uniforms :)

Do they frown on clip-on ties? :p Or maybe one of those tshirts with the tie painted on.

Why is everyone attacking JP? All the guy did was disagree. I realize that this thread is filled with LECOM students and acceptees. I am happy that you guys like your school and its dress code. However, here at PCOM we like to reduce the stress on each other. Why should we worry about what we are wearing if we are sitting in the library or lecture hall?

Either way, I am glad everyone is happy with their chosen school. With that being said, don't attack someone just b/c he or she disagrees.

Why is everyone attacking JP? All the guy did was disagree. I realize that this thread is filled with LECOM students and acceptees. I am happy that you guys like your school and its dress code. However, here at PCOM we like to reduce the stress on each other. Why should we worry about what we are wearing if we are sitting in the library or lecture hall?

Either way, I am glad everyone is happy with their chosen school. With that being said, don't attack someone just b/c he or she disagrees.

No worries Army...thanks for the back up though.

I dont think the bashing on here is representative of their school. In fact, Ive had the same discussion with LECOMers in person and none of them got defensive about it at all.

The annonimity of the internet allows for these types of reactions from people when they dont agree with someone. Even creating a new screename to make a comment (yes, I can check your IP).

So in the end you just stop stating your belief about the topic and thats that. Then wait for it to come up again next month. ;)

No worries Army...thanks for the back up though.

I dont think the bashing on here is representative of their school. In fact, Ive had the same discussion with LECOMers in person and none of them got defensive about it at all.

The annonimity of the internet allows for these types of reactions from people when they dont agree with someone. Even creating a new screename to make a comment (yes, I can check your IP).

So in the end you just stop stating your belief about the topic and thats that. Then wait for it to come up again next month. ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thats hilarious.

I am surprised people are getting this defensive though. I went to private school my whole life and wore uniforms. I have mixed feelings about it. Either way, I was surprised to see all of this bickering going on.

JP, I was wondering if you would be up for OMM tutoring. I feel kind of lost....I could use a could hour or two of solidifying what I have learned so far. Let me know...Thnx

I'll PM you a little later.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thats hilarious.

I am surprised people are getting this defensive though. I went to private school my whole life and wore uniforms. I have mixed feelings about it. Either way, I was surprised to see all of this bickering going on.

JP, I was wondering if you would be up for OMM tutoring. I feel kind of lost....I could use a could hour or two of solidifying what I have learned so far. Let me know...Thnx

I'll PM you a little later.

I think the correct way to ask that question would be to say "do you accept paper or plastic?"

seriously though...I'm pretty sure there is one day of the week where some fellows come in during your lunch hour and offer review/practice sessions

I don't know who you thought was attacking JP in the above posts, but if you thought it was me, I didn't mean to come across that way. I just remember reading about these same dress code issues a year ago when I was in the premed process and it turned out not to be an issue. I think that some of the topics people debate on here are a little ridiculous. As for creating a new screen name just to start a fight, give me a break. I've never bothered to create an account before. That being said, I now realize why I stopped reading SDN in the first place...I should be studying instead of wasting my time on here.

I agree, this thread is a little ridiculous. As a student who was just accepted to LECOM and happens to really like the school, I could care less about what I have to wear each day and more about what material I will be learning in my courses.

Okay, I'm not picking on you specifically, but the phrase is "I COULDN'T care less" not "I could care less". So many people screw that up. It drives me nuts! I'm now on a campaign to sort everyone out about this! Of course you could care less...!! :p :laugh:

If someone is at a large university, wouldnt all the IPs be the same/similar for large groups of those students? Not really sure how that works, but I cannot imagine every single computer at a university has a unique IP... anyone know?

Okay, I'm not picking on you specifically, but the phrase is "I COULDN'T care less" not "I could care less". So many people screw that up. It drives me nuts! I'm now on a campaign to sort everyone out about this! Of course you could care less...!! :p :laugh:

According to the American Heritage Book of English Language it doesn't really matter, although it can be confusing when used in written form.

"I could care less! you might say sometime in disgust. You might just as easily have said I couldn't care less and meant the same thing! How can this be? When taken literally, the phrase I could care less means "I care more than I might," rather than "I don't care at all." But the beauty of sarcasm is that it can turn meanings on their head, thus allowing could care less to work as an equivalent for couldn't care less. Because of its sarcasm, could care less is more informal than its negative counterpart and may be open to misinterpretation when used in writing."

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html

However, you are right in that it is usually considered Non-standard English.

According to the American Heritage Book of English Language it doesn't really matter, although it can be confusing when used in written form.

"I could care less! you might say sometime in disgust. You might just as easily have said I couldn't care less and meant the same thing! How can this be? When taken literally, the phrase I could care less means "I care more than I might," rather than "I don't care at all." But the beauty of sarcasm is that it can turn meanings on their head, thus allowing could care less to work as an equivalent for couldn't care less. Because of its sarcasm, could care less is more informal than its negative counterpart and may be open to misinterpretation when used in writing."

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html

Interesting. And yet, taken literally, to mean that one doesn't care about anything less than the thing they are talking about, they would HAVE to say, "I couldn't care less." In general, I believe the phrase "I could care less" is simply derived from the correct phrase because people got fast & lazy in saying it. (Whoops - just got your last sentence...)

Here's another one that gets me - What the heck is "a whole nother"?? Like, "That's a whole nother thing."

I think the correct way to ask that question would be to say "do you accept paper or plastic?"

seriously though...I'm pretty sure there is one day of the week where some fellows come in during your lunch hour and offer review/practice sessions

:laugh: :laugh:

Well, I was actually going to offer to pay but in the PM.