LECOM vs. PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplesays03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both programs and want some feedback from prospective medical students or current students! I've worked out a simple pros and cons list but I am interested in what others have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't reply about PCOM as I have never been there, but as an MSI at LECOM, here are some of the pros...
Learning pathways! If you chose pbl or isp, these are pretty unique to LECOM I think.
It is really really REALLY cheap to live in Erie, and I like to think positive..there aren't too many distractions out here.
LECOM has been great for me, and the pbl program is ideal for my learning style.
Go with your gut feeling, as you know yourself best and know what is important to you...
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Philadelphia vs. Erie

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

PCOM has amazing facilities, a stellar reputation, rotation sites in Philadelphia, and a 103 year track record for producing great osteopathic physicians.

Philadelphia is a great city. Amazing food, clubs, bars, sporting events (Eagles!), and attractions...museums, art galleries, comedy clubs, nightlife. Pubic transportation is SIMPLE in this city.

The people here at PCOM are great as well. Friendly and helpful...from Admissions to Financial Aid.

We have the Sixers practicing here on campus...just this morning I saw Allen Iverson getting out of his Escalade.

I have lived in Philadelphia for almost 5 years now. I don't want to leave. I was accepted to other medical schools, but was going to turn them down unless I got into PCOM.

The faculty here are top notch...arguably the strongest OMM department in the country.

Also, you will be following my class. We are a good group who is hard working and very involved in school activities. Seems like all of the clubs on campus have tons of members.

I have no problems with LECOM. I applied there as a back up and turned them down when they invited me for an interview. I really did not want to go there. PCOM just felt better. A lot better.

Good luck in your decision. Just make sure it is YOUR decision. Don't let anyone else make it for you.

PCOM rules!!!!!!!

I have a unique view on this issue. I was enrolled at LECOM, left because I hated it, and then was accepted at PCOM.

The little that I saw of the city of Erie really turned me off. If you go for an interview there make sure you stay a few days and begin to explore the area. I didn't do that and ended up wasting a whole lot of time and money.

As far as PCOM is concerned - I love it here. The school is awesome, with foundations rich in Osteopathic history. The students are friendly and we all offer each other anything we can offer one another. Most importantly, the faculty here is great. From the basic science Prof.'s to the well known OMM Faculty.

What it comes down to is what is best for you. Everyone knows what he/she likes about certain places. PCOM works best for me.

Plus, we have JPHazleton and WishUponaStar - what more could someone ask for.

Chisel