What should I upload into PCOM portal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1143552

So I have already been accepted into my second choice DO school, but my top choice is PCOM-PA and I would like to try everything I can to get an interview there. I actually already received an II from one of the other PCOM locations, but withdrew my application for that location because I prefer the school that has already accepted me.

My concern is that my secondary application for PCOM-PA is very lacking. I had written it in May when I was rather burned out from taking the MCAT and filling out the primary. I was very vague in my reasons for wanting to attend there. Do you all believe it may be a good idea to upload a letter of intent to the portal going into detail on why they are my top choice? And if yes, should I do that now or maybe wait a bit to see if they decide to send me an invite anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for sharing this with me. I just read it. However the only part I see pertaining to my question is "Relegated applicant “letters of interest” or letters of recommendation don’t always make an impact unless you have previously undisclosed extenuating circumstances that could make a difference." Wouldn't clarifying and giving more reasons why I am interested in their program constitute undisclosed extenuating circumstances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing this with me. I just read it. However the only part I see pertaining to my question is "Relegated applicant “letters of interest” or letters of recommendation don’t always make an impact unless you have previously undisclosed extenuating circumstances that could make a difference." Wouldn't clarifying and giving more reasons why I am interested in their program constitute undisclosed extenuating circumstances?
It would totally depend on the individual schools on how it would be received, but we would be talking about something completely unexpected that might have affected the process of delivery of your application to the programs properly. An example of this would be somehow there was a misdelivery of your application materials or letters which could have contributed to a decision to relegate your file. It could also include something that suddenly happened to your life circumstances that required you to narrow your focus to include that program (sudden disability affecting a parent who lives close to the school; this was not the case when you submitted your application).

The important part is that you have already given your argument about your fit with the program, but this would be more about the special reasons you have a strong interest in attending the school. Be careful though because you could also give a committee a reason to justify relegating your application if you have not been able to stabilize the situation.

You could also mention the pending receipt of a significant award like the HPSP which would be given if you receive an acceptance. Or finally getting a green card.

I certainly say that if you already have an acceptance, you really don't have much to lose. Don't mention that you already have an acceptance, but you can contact admissions to see if they would accept such letters and whether they would be favorably viewed. DO admissions also moves a little bit later compared to MD admissions, but they all are looking for students who really want to attend if they are truly qualified. Just be very mindful with what you want to tell them as a significant update. It is also very true that a lot of admissions committees consider letters of interest like receiving pick-up lines at a bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It would totally depend on the individual schools on how it would be received, but we would be talking about something completely unexpected that might have affected the process of delivery of your application to the programs properly. An example of this would be somehow there was a misdelivery of your application materials or letters which could have contributed to a decision to relegate your file. It could also include something that suddenly happened to your life circumstances that required you to narrow your focus to include that program (sudden disability affecting a parent who lives close to the school; this was not the case when you submitted your application).

The important part is that you have already given your argument about your fit with the program, but this would be more about the special reasons you have a strong interest in attending the school. Be careful though because you could also give a committee a reason to justify relegating your application if you have not been able to stabilize the situation.

You could also mention the pending receipt of a significant award like the HPSP which would be given if you receive an acceptance. Or finally getting a green card.

I certainly say that if you already have an acceptance, you really don't have much to lose. Don't mention that you already have an acceptance, but you can contact admissions to see if they would accept such letters and whether they would be favorably viewed. DO admissions also moves a little bit later compared to MD admissions, but they all are looking for students who really want to attend if they are truly qualified. Just be very mindful with what you want to tell them as a significant update. It is also very true that a lot of admissions committees consider letters of interest like receiving pick-up lines at a bar.
I did contact them before to tell them that I would like to elaborate on some things that I mentioned in my secondary (which is really a primary for PCOM) and they just replied with a generic statement saying I can upload any updates in the portal.

I have heard about the DO cycle going later, but I thought about reaching out now as I have received an II from their other campus. I’m not sure if I should take this to mean that the Philly campus has already read my application and decided not to grant me an interview at this time, or if they just work later due to having more applications. I’m also not sure if they can see the fact that I withdrew from the other campus and thus question if I’m still interested?

I did contact them before to tell them that I would like to elaborate on some things that I mentioned in my secondary (which is really a primary for PCOM) and they just replied with a generic statement saying I can upload any updates in the portal.

I have heard about the DO cycle going later, but I thought about reaching out now as I have received an II from their other campus. I’m not sure if I should take this to mean that the Philly campus has already read my application and decided not to grant me an interview at this time, or if they just work later due to having more applications. I’m also not sure if they can see the fact that I withdrew from the other campus and thus question if I’m still interested?
It is hard to say since PCOM is a multiple campus university, and I'm sure there is some coordination that has to happen in the end. It sounds like they would be okay with updates. You should explain why you prefer the main campus over the other campus that you turned down.

Reactions: 1 user