Left respectable uni for lesser- consequences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichAAGC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a Michigan resident (somewhat obviously). Close to 10 years ago, I left undergrad at MSU because something simply wasn't working. After a year, I departed with a 2.9c GPA. I then transferred to a lesser university in the state and did somewhat better, graduating from the second university with a 3.6c (3.3c,3.15s GPA as viewed by AACOMAS).

Now 4 years after graduation, I have/am:
-accepted a volunteer executive director position in a health-related non-profit
-worked 2 years as a clinical manager in wildlife rehab
-currenting working FT in clinical research (pubs and conferences)
-volunteer in jails and a local hospital
-gotten my CNA cert (no experience)
-taken 3 post-bacc courses with a 4.0 (more to come)
-currenting shadowing a psych DO.

I will apply to MSUCOM in any case, but will my app likely get poo poo'd? I believe I can raise GPA to 3.4c and 3.3s by the next cycle. I also need to take the MCAT, which is a large determinant. Thoughts?

long story short: will a history of bad performance at MSU increase chances of my app getting canned for MSUCOM despite improvements,?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm a Michigan resident (somewhat obviously). Close to 10 years ago, I left undergrad at MSU because something simply wasn't working. After a year, I departed with a 2.9c GPA. I then transferred to a lesser university in the state and did somewhat better, graduating from the second university with a 3.6c (3.3c,3.15s GPA as viewed by AACOMAS).

Now 4 years after graduation, I have/am:
-accepted a volunteer executive director position in a health-related non-profit
-worked 2 years as a clinical manager in wildlife rehab
-currenting working FT in clinical research (pubs and conferences)
-volunteer in jails and a local hospital
-gotten my CNA cert (no experience)
-taken 3 post-bacc courses with a 4.0 (more to come)
-currenting shadowing a psych DO.

I will apply to MSUCOM in any case, but will my app likely get poo poo'd? I believe I can raise GPA to 3.4c and 3.3s by the next cycle. I also need to take the MCAT, which is a large determinant. Thoughts?

long story short: will a history of bad performance at MSU increase chances of my app getting canned for MSUCOM despite improvements,?

Thanks for your time.
Depends on MCAT score

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily. Sounds like your low gpa from msu was from a long time ago. Youve done better since then and a good mcat score will help you prove reinvention. Good luck on the test.