Legitimate, Free, SDN matriculant data spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any opinions about whether or not to include MD/PhD students with these numbers?

For example, UMass only accepts IS'ers for their MD program but they do accept OOS for MD/PhD. I figured that it would be useful if the spreadsheet showed that 100% of the matriculants were IS so that people wouldn't add UMass to their school list, so I just put down that they had 120 matriculants. The real number is 125 matriculants, with 5 being OOS in the MD/PhD track.

Thoughts on how to deal with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any opinions about whether or not to include MD/PhD students with these numbers?

For example, UMass only accepts IS'ers for their MD program but they do accept OOS for MD/PhD. I figured that it would be useful if the spreadsheet showed that 100% of the matriculants were IS so that people wouldn't add UMass to their school list, so I just put down that they had 120 matriculants. The real number is 125 matriculants, with 5 being OOS in the MD/PhD track.

Thoughts on how to deal with this?

If we were trying to make a spreadsheet worthy of being professionally published and/or sold, I would agree with your sentiment. But this is a community project working with the best data that we have. Even then, it should only be used for very basic predictions/comparisons.

Besides, MD/PhD students make up a comparatively small proportion of the medical student population - probably no more than 10%. I don't think it'll skew the data all that much.

If we were trying to make a spreadsheet worthy of being professionally published and/or sold, I would agree with your sentiment. But this is a community project working with the best data that we have. Even then, it should only be used for very basic predictions/comparisons.

Besides, MD/PhD students make up a comparatively small proportion of the medical student population - probably no more than 10%. I don't think it'll skew the data all that much.
Ok, I just changed it and it still says 96% are IS.

I think that the best solution would be to have a "notes" column, where we can say "Mass. Residents Only for MD Program". We could also add "Historically Black College" and "Spanish Fluency Required" for schools where such notes would apply

Members don't see this ad :)

I think that the best solution would be to have a "notes" column, where we can say "Mass. Residents Only for MD Program". We could also add "Historically Black College" and "Spanish Fluency Required" for schools where such notes would apply

I think this is a really good idea.

We should probably make a habit of adding multiple notes to each school about that kind of stuff. For example for Brown noting the substantial # coming from it's combined undergraduate program, etc. Never hurts to have that kind of information available.

For everyone who has contributed to this spreadsheet, I thank you.

-Adam

Just to add, "In-state preference" would also be helpful. Thanks for compiling this amazing list! :)

Does anyone know what the exact requirements are for the Puerto Rican schools? (Fluency and close ties for all 4?)

No. I don't remember which require those and which don't off the top of my head, but some SDN thread research will reveal that. There are threads where people explain their experiences interviewing and going to each of the schools. UPR is a state school and the strictest with regards to residency. There was another (can't remember), where a student went down to PR for his interview, and the interviewer asked him something in English, he started responding in Spanish to prove fluency, and the interviewer cut him off, thanking him for offering to speak Spanish but suggesting the interview be in English. I don't believe close ties are necessary for all of them either.

Bump for this. Thanks so much to everyone who put in the work to make this possible!

There needs to be a minor correction on the form re: Southern Illinois University.

Currently it says: Only residents & those with close ties.

but
Only the MD/JD program accepts OOS applicants.
additionally - School also favors central and southern IL residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we get a sticky on this or something? A lot of good work got put into this.

Is there some way to check when it was most recently updated? Just so we can see if we have the most up-to-date version?

All approved editors should have the "Last Modified" date for the spreadsheet shown in Google Docs.

In any case, I've added a small note in the first cell showing when it was last updated.

Last edited:
I would just like to say that I appreciate the option to change the words. My scale now goes from "start bulk-buying in school colors" to "not a snowball's chance in he*l." :cool:

Also, utility bump.

I would just like to say that I appreciate the option to change the words. My scale now goes from "start bulk-buying in school colors" to "not a snowball's chance in he*l." :cool:

Also, utility bump.

:laugh: glad someone found that useful

Some quick updates:
  • Applicant/matriculant data (by IS and OOS) for MD schools now directly sourced from public AAMC data.
  • New sheet for schools sorted by LizzyM score and a color scale for OOS friendliness
  • New sheet for schools sorted by OOS friendliness and a color scale for LizzyM scores
  • Added a publicly editable data submission sheet for anyone who wants to contribute data (this way the main spreadsheet is only editable by approved editors)
  • The "Comments" column is filling up with great supplementary info about the schools

This is such a great resource! Just wondering about the OOS data for UWashington: does that percentage include students from the nearby states that Washington considers instate (I think Montana and Wyoming? this might be incorrect) or is it solely WA residents?

I've heard that Washington is not very friendly to OOS, so its current percentage (56.5%) seems kind of low if that is the case.

This is such a great resource! Just wondering about the OOS data for UWashington: does that percentage include students from the nearby states that Washington considers instate (I think Montana and Wyoming? this might be incorrect) or is it solely WA residents?

I've heard that Washington is not very friendly to OOS, so its current percentage (56.5%) seems kind of low if that is the case.

I am not sure... the data if from Table 1: U.S. Medical School Applications and Matriculants by School, State of Legal Residence, and Sex, 2010. Maybe you can e-mail [email protected] to clarify?

bababump

Does anyone know how to alter the color scheme on this excel document after I download it to my comp? Whenever I open it with other excel docs open it changes the color palettes on all the others! :eek:

:laugh: glad someone found that useful

Some quick updates:
  • Applicant/matriculant data (by IS and OOS) for MD schools now directly sourced from public AAMC data.
  • New sheet for schools sorted by LizzyM score and a color scale for OOS friendliness
  • New sheet for schools sorted by OOS friendliness and a color scale for LizzyM scores
  • Added a publicly editable data submission sheet for anyone who wants to contribute data (this way the main spreadsheet is only editable by approved editors)
  • The "Comments" column is filling up with great supplementary info about the schools

Great update!

I :love: :love: :love: everyone who worked on this. Thank you so much! :love:

I'm not able to access the googledoc anymore... anyone know a solution?

I'm not able to access the googledoc anymore... anyone know a solution?

I was able to access the document, but only after logging in (I'm an editor of the spreadsheet). This makes me think that somehow the viewing settings were changed to 'private only.' I'd PM Paul411 to ask for permission to the document, and maybe ask him to change the settings to 'visible to all' and 'edit by invitation.'

Temporary link to the latest version (download as usual):
main link fixed. see first post

I'll edit this post to delete this link once the permissions are fixed (I don't know how to fix it)

Last edited:
This may not be it, but it looks like google has modified the documents layout. That might have affected the settings on some of the docs. Just a guess, but if you've ever taken a programming class you know how random problems just pop up when you change an entire setup...

Hm, I'll check in a bit.

Hold your emails.

Does the spreadsheet account for your state of residency?

Fixed, I think. Can someone check and confirm?

Google Docs switched up permissions of the document with their update or something.

Does the spreadsheet account for your state of residency?

The "calculator" doesn't. But the schools are sorted by state and you have IS/OS data for most schools that you can easily refer to.

Fixed, I think. Can someone check and confirm?

Google Docs switched up permissions of the document with their update or something.

The "calculator" doesn't. But the schools are sorted by state and you have IS/OS data for most schools that you can easily refer to.

It's working for me, even when I log out. I think you've got it:thumbup:

Thank God, I might have had a stroke.

Amazing resource. Thanks to everyone who contributed!!!

Amazing resource. Thanks to everyone who contributed!!!

Sorry for the necro bump but did anyone just think to throw the spreadsheet up on bt, or scan a certain document into a pdf and put that on bt?

This "wiki" is truly wonderful! Thanks everyone for the hard work and dedication!

Using filters on excel, this has become my primary resource for building a school list.

I might add in a few columns for things like curriculum, student:teacher ratio and... maybe presence of an in-ground heated pool or no. :laugh:

This spreadsheet is easily the best thing on SDN. If only I had found it before I applied to medical schools... :smack:

Because:
The original LizzyM spreadsheet is banned because of objections from AAMC, so aSagacious suggested we started a "legitimate, free, SDN matriculant data spreadsheet." with data published by schools.
For further discussion on the subject, read the thread from the beginning. Please don't post your copy.

Hi all,

I have been playing with this amazing form a bit and I have noticed an error in the current google documents file. Someone should go through and check the other columns too as I don't know how extensive the error is, but pretty much someone has messed up the IF, THEN statements in the MCAT column.

Example: 49F states =IF('Your Stats'!$B$4<L48, "Low MCAT",)
Notice that the IF is linked to the wrong corresponding row.

I only noticed it when it told me that my MCAT was high enough for Washington U St Louis. After investigation, I noticed that the IF was linked to the Arizona Tuscan MCAT average... haha no wonder....!

I don't know how or when it happened, but it is diffusely present, not just in that row. I would ask someone to correct the excel form and check some other columns (I just don't have time to do this as I am at work). Also, check your downloaded copy for this error because the problem could have happened at any time. Please post the date of download and whether your copy has any errors in it so that others may predict if their copy has errors, too. I hope that this was a more recent error caused by people editing the google doc. Maybe we should fix it or upload a previous version and then lock editing privileges. This is the problem with open source....

Best,
C

but pretty much someone has messed up the IF, THEN statements in the MCAT column.

Good catch. It's fixed now.

Looks like the problem is isolated to the MCAT column but I redid the 'Chances', 'GPA' and 'MCAT' columns just in case (it's a simple drag-the-first-cell-down operation). I don't know why the MCAT column was messed up but I've gone ahead and removed almost all editors from the Main Sheet. Looking at the revision history, it unfortunately looks like the error might have been there for a while now.

Thanks for fixing this, I hope nobody is using solely the "MCAT TOO LOW" column to formulate their application list ... XD

Not to be picky, but lets get this sheet perfect for all users.

The low cGPA column is linked to science GPA in the "Your Data" tab.

Example: =IF(('Your Stats'!$B$3<N5),"Low cGPA",)

Fix by either changing this to =IF(('Your Stats'!$B$2<N5),"Low cGPA",)
Or (what I did on my form) Change the order of science and cumulative GPA on the "your stats" tab.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, maybe this stuff doesn't matter too much, but I like to be thorough.

^ Done.

This feedback is excellent! Let me know if you find any more bugs. (Also, can you double check the "chances" formula to make sure it makes sense, if you don't mind. It would be nice to get someone else to check it.)

... can you double check the "chances" formula to make sure it makes sense, if you don't mind. It would be nice to get someone else to check it.

Looks fine to me.

Thanks for spreadsheet. This is great. I thought data in MSAR and US News Medical Compass was available to public but you have to go to dig the data... MSAR and US News Medical Compass presented data in single place.... or is there some specific data that med school share with/sell to these entities?

Having said that, which data is more useful for selecting med school, i.e. MSAR or US News Medical Compass or this spread sheet... or worst, I have to buy both MSA and US News Medical Compass.

Does any of these publication provide spreadsheet that you can manipulate and tayler to your needs.

Thanks again, this spreadsheet is great.

I love this and really thank Paul411 and others for starting and contributing to this! I did a similar thing with just the MSAR, but nothing so fancy with if/then statements. Just eyeballed the damn thing.