Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by WonderBoy, Aug 27, 2001.

1. WonderBoy

Physician

Attending Physician
    Hey guys,
    Have you guys used this book. Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry by Nelson and Cox(Third edition). Just curious about what you guys think about the book. I am using it this fall at Stony Brook undergrad.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member

lehninger for an undergrad biochem class? I thought I was the only one. I had to memorize everything in that book. I ended up studying more for that year long class than all others combined, and ended up with a B- :eek:

4. daveshnave

daveshnave Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As far as I can tell, according to "the norm," both Lehninger & Cox and Stryer's Biochem are the gold standard in biochem.. both were used in my undergrad courses. Personally I prefer Voet & Voet's Biochemistry, although I've never found it anywhere other than as a 3rd biochem textbook at my undergrad(UCSD)... (they're husband/wife Penn professors). It's the most modern biochem text I've seen, and has great computer diagrams of molecular modeling, etc, which is great to demonstrate structural biochem. For me it was the clearest and most concise, especially with the figures.

5. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    At UCSD, we used Lehninger for undergrad biochem (from chem dept), whereas they used Voet (for bio based biochem). Lehninger (who died several years ago) was also used by the med school at UCSD so its structured a but differently than than Voet or Stryer. Lehninger got me through biochem in grad school, so I swear by it, but different strokes for different folks..

Andrew

6. Eric

Eric Member

I used that book at Stony Brook too and now I am using the same book in Med school so hold on to it, it's just fine.

7. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)

Resident [Any Field]
    Just like Eric, I used the book in undergrad Biochem I & II...and will be using it again (same edition and everything!) in med-school. Nice and convienant for me...since I wrote my notes in the margins! :D

PS- I think it's a great book with very understandable illustrations, diagrams, etc.

8. Barton

Barton Senior Member

Nelson and Cox are the instructors for my biochem 507 class this fall. Not surprisingly, we use Nelson and Cox.

9. Vasiley Zaitsev

Vasiley Zaitsev Senior Member

Oh gosh..stop your bitching. That book isn't hard! In fact, it is quite basic, and builds up from scratch. A in bchem I, A in bchem II...

owcc16

10. That is the text I used in PA school.

11. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member

oh gosh... you sure are a star occ16 :rolleyes:

12. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    At UCD, we used both Lehninger and Voet. My first quarter class was Voet, but the 2nd quarter we had a choice of Lehninger. The Professor did his lectures with the Lehninger book, and i enjoyed it that way more. The Lehninger book is more appealing to the eye. More illustrations. I have both books, and i tend to use the Lehninger book more. I think it also comes with a pretty good study guide thing. You can use that book as a note book rather than writing in some spiral bound one. It also comes with pics from the textbook.

On another note, Lehninger being hard? I think both Voet and Lehninger are pretty equal. I just like pictures more personally.

13. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member

Lehninger is the bible of biochemistry. Buy it and you'll definitely find it useful throughout your undergrad years and medical school.

14. trouserz

trouserz Member

question... why is biochem soo hard is it the memoirization?

15. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member

I think it is the memorization. If you are told to memorize all of the pathways of amino acid and nucleic acid synthesis, for instance, and told to make sure to know all intermediate structures and names, enymes, the works, and given about a week, this is HARD. despite what some of the above posters claim. :p