Length of Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samdaman

Que Sera Sera
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just finished writing and finalising my personal statement, and after a lot of cutting, its down to 1 page, or 550 words. As is stated over and over again, the personal statement should not be too long, as PDs have to read so many at one time.

What I want to know is... is this the right length for a PS? Should be it longer?
Thanks and regards

samdaman

Members don't see this ad.

I'll take a stab at this one too. :)

I met a guy on the interview trail who's PS was three pages long! He didn't realize it at the time because the ERAS really didn't indicate how many pages he was writing. I wrote mine out on word and then retyped it (which I think most people do).

I think your PS should definitely be no more than one page. I would highly recommend using Essayedge.com as an editing service. One of my classmates told me about it and now I think there is a link to their site on the main page of scutwork. They did an excellent job of tweaking my PS some to make it flow better. Plus, they can help refine your grammar (or is it grammer?:D ) in ways that only an English major can! You just cut/paste your PS from word onto their site. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll surely look into it. ERAS transmits the PS in Courier New 10pt. So i think the best thing to do is have a look at your PS with that font in Word, and see if it fits a page or more... easier that way i think... just a thought :)

samdaman