Let the ranking begin...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, I met with my advisor tonight. Made some final adjustments to my ROL... and I'm (re)certified. NO MORE CHANGING THIS THING. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

OK, I met with my advisor tonight. Made some final adjustments to my ROL... and I'm (re)certified. NO MORE CHANGING THIS THING. :thumbup:

No worries. I literally changed by ROL 10 minutes before the deadline when I applied. :eek: They say don't make any last minute changes, and they're probably right. Luckily it was further down my list and didn't make a difference anyway. :D

Good luck!!!:luck:

No worries. I literally changed by ROL 10 minutes before the deadline when I applied. :eek: They say don't make any last minute changes, and they're probably right. Luckily it was further down my list and didn't make a difference anyway. :D

Good luck!!!:luck:
That was actually a big part of the discussion: how to arrange the bottom of my list. The "hopefully I won't have to dip this low into the list, but if I do... what order should they be in?" discussion, if you will.

For my top 4, no matter where I wind up I would receive absolutely top-notch clinical training so I just had to figure out which location worked best for me. For the rest, it was figuring out a balance of good but not great training + built-in social support vs great training + no social support.

So I'm pretty happy- and very comfortable- with how the list looks. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just certified my (initial and subject to change but hopefully doesn't) rank list. Lots of thought went into 1 v 2, and then the middle of my list was difficult as well. I'm happy with it though, and likely won't make any changes. Like others, I will post it later.

creating new thread but don't know how to delete post

Last edited:
That was actually a big part of the discussion: how to arrange the bottom of my list. The "hopefully I won't have to dip this low into the list, but if I do... what order should they be in?" discussion, if you will.

For my top 4, no matter where I wind up I would receive absolutely top-notch clinical training so I just had to figure out which location worked best for me. For the rest, it was figuring out a balance of good but not great training + built-in social support vs great training + no social support.

So I'm pretty happy- and very comfortable- with how the list looks. :)

I was in the exact same position. Being happy with your top 4 is a great position to be in!

Good luck! :thumbup:

Tell your #1 they are your #1 this late in the game? I'm wondering if it will make any difference. I imagine most programs are done and certified. Will they care if they get an email tomorrow about where they are getting ranked? It seems like if they interviewed 80+ applicants, they wouldn't sift out your position and debate again about whether they should bump you up... Thinking out loud. Any comments?

Tell your #1 they are your #1 this late in the game? I'm wondering if it will make any difference. I imagine most programs are done and certified. Will they care if they get an email tomorrow about where they are getting ranked? It seems like if they interviewed 80+ applicants, they wouldn't sift out your position and debate again about whether they should bump you up... Thinking out loud. Any comments?

Yep--you've figured it out.

(We had our ranking meeting a week ago, fwiw).

I was told by more than one program to let them know if I was ranking them no. 1 (if i was). One PD also told me that they would sometimes bump an applicant up the rank list in response to a love letter and knew of other places that did this. I also know there are programs who have not yet finalized their rank list.

It would not hurt to tell your #1 they are so, and it is possible (depending on the program, whether they like you etc) that doing so could improve your rank so I would. I have been informed that it can't hurt.

I really don't like these games, and wish everyone just trusted the match process but I have bowed to pressure and told my #1 they are so. If anything, it has helped me psychologically as now I know I have done everything I can, and won't be thinking 'If only I had let them know' if I don't match there. I'm not saying its logical but it has given me peace of mind.

I think the real question is does telling a program they are your number 1 at any time affect where you will end up on their rank list. Granted, programs want applicants who want to be there, however, personally I doubt telling a program that u love them will have that significant of an impact on where you end up on their rank list. Judging from my personal experience the love letters I have received from programs has not changed my rank list at all. I would assume most PDs/selection committees react the same way.

That being said though, due to outside advice and recommendations I did tell my number 1 that they garnered that position. As splik said, it certainly isnt going to hurt (even if it doesn't help).

Officially one week til rank lists are due. Is this the time that we are supposed to take a copy of our current rank list, rip it into shreds, burn it to ashes, then create a new list by randomly drawing the program names out of a hat. It seems like the logical thing to do, let the universe decide.

Officially one week til rank lists are due. Is this the time that we are supposed to take a copy of our current rank list, rip it into shreds, burn it to ashes, then create a new list by randomly drawing the program names out of a hat. It seems like the logical thing to do, let the universe decide.

Well, I have no rank list yet.

I literally can't decide the order of my top three, so I really am thinking of the hat. No lie. But I make a lot of decisions like that.

We'll see....

(edit: also, sometimes the hat is good for pulling and then judging your reaction to the pull in order to figure out how you really feel. hah!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Scratch that. I know where I'm going; mutual commitments were made. Glad that's over with ... Now on to looking for housing, jobs for my partner, etc. Good luck everyone!

well done! hope they are true to their word.

I hear ya. But I felt like written guarantees have to be guarantees, no? I got the sense that the programs sending "you are guaranteed a spot" emails can't go back on them. Or even anyone literally guaranteeing a spot over the phone in plain language. Don't scare me! (I'm not really, but...)

And for this program, we talked about some projects to start on in the coming months etc so I can't imagine...

I am sure it will be fine, you sound like the sort of applicant places want. I just think it isn't done until it's done, and guarantees - verbal, in email, whatever are not worth anything. We just have to trust, but every year there is always someone who feels misled. I would want to clarify you are in their top 14 or however many spots they have. however if you haven't done this you might come across a little crazy if you try now...

I hear ya. But I felt like written guarantees have to be guarantees, no? I got the sense that the programs sending "you are guaranteed a spot" emails can't go back on them. Or even anyone literally guaranteeing a spot over the phone in plain language. Don't scare me! (I'm not really, but...)

And for this program, we talked about some projects to start on in the coming months etc so I can't imagine...

While they may stay true to their word, a friend of mine was "guaranteed" a spot that didn't happen. You will probably get the spot, but please don't buy a house or anything yet. There is no guarantee here.

No guarantees until a contract is signed by all parties.

No guarantees until a contract is signed by all parties.

Very true, one of my good friends works with someone who was promised a spot and the program wanted them also but the program got up ranking as a prelim instead of categorical and he ended up not matching there cause of it (this was surgery and of course they could be misleadings...but the guy was told he had a Categorical spot)

I say this not to bring you down or to freak you out but, seriously wait until match day to make any serious life decisions like housing,ect. You will still have plenty of time to do so.

Also good luck to everyone, I hope you end up in a place you will be happy at

Written guarantees mean nothing. Odds are you will get the spot but don't do anything crazy like only rank that program or something.

Sounds like they really like you, N4. And if you're ranking them #1, I'd indulge in craigslisting apartments and job prospects. But don't commit to anything until the program commits to you with the Match.

But congrats, this should be reassuring and validating....

Sounds like they really like you, N4. And if you're ranking them #1, I'd indulge in craigslisting apartments and job prospects. But don't commit to anything until the program commits to you with the Match.

But congrats, this should be reassuring and validating....

"N4," I like that.

Yeah, I'm not gonna be dumb about it, I agree. Ranking everywhere I interviewed, etc. I just also feel since I have written guarantees from a lot of the "highly competitive" programs and am going with my gut and a less competitive program...I don't know...

Also (see now, this is to reassure myself not be defensive), without saying too much, because of some circumstances the PD is also looking into housing for me and has started communicating with leaving residents and junior faculty on my behalf, so I really think s/he would be screwing him/herself, too.

Thanks for the suppport and words of caution though, y'all. If they go back on it, you best be sure it'd be all over this site (wink). And I'd end up just as happy at my 2 or 3 spot.

How would you rank these programs? Just curious to see what people think! Thanks!

1. University of Chicago
2. Northwestern
3. UIC
4. Rush
5. Loyola
6. Lutheran General

Also...anyone heard anything about horrible work hours/call schedules at any of these???

I've heard vaguely good things about UIC, and vaguely negative things about University of Chicago. Chicago wasn't on my radar so I can't comment any further.

How would you rank these programs? Just curious to see what people think! Thanks!

1. University of Chicago
2. Northwestern
3. UIC
4. Rush
5. Loyola
6. Lutheran General

Also...anyone heard anything about horrible work hours/call schedules at any of these???

I'll echo the usual "give us your initial impressions first and we'll respond" that people like to post here. It's hard to describe my entire program in a single post, so if you've had any positive/negative impressions, we can be more than helpful... or at least more helpful than some of the "countdown" threads around here.

I think I've come up with my final rank list. I feel good about it. Only made a couple changes from my initial post interview rank list, and no changes in the top 5, so hopefully it the changes I did make won't matter!