Let's go COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimiwadare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to share that I decided to go to COMP now. I just talked to a high school acquaintance after finding out that he's a 4th year there. He and I went to a small private school that's somewhat "prestigious" and upholds a high academic standard of its students. I trust his opinions fully because he would certainly know what a "quality" education is like.

He "kept it real" by first saying that med school is what you make of it and that COMP is not perfect, like no school is. Then he mentioned that COMP prepares its students really well during its 1st and 2nd years. Many of these classes "weed" out students but they are definitely within one's ability. My guess is that COMP gives some questionable students the chance to give their best, but they don't and get weeded out(and whine?). He said something like 10 people out of 160 left after the 1st year. Personally I like that COMP is upholding its academic standard. I do not want to be anywhere near an "easy" med school.

He's in his 4th year now and he is enjoying his clinical experience. Particularly he likes that COMP doesn't have concurrent requirements(such as classes, seminars) during the clinical years, because it would be a waste of time. Other Schools want you to feel like your money is used for something going on
on-campus. He likes the freedom to use his time to study on his own and fully enjoy the clinical setting.

He has many friends at all of the med schools in SoCal and he thinks COMP has prepared him not only up to his friends' level from other med schools, but in many areas COMP has surpassed those schools in its preparation of its students.

He also told me that he noticed a lot of people whine at COMP. Anybody could give a personal opinion(like i'm doing now) but not all of them should deserve my equal consideration. Personally I feel fortunate that I found someone that I could relate to and trust his opinions, and officially end my agonizing indecisiveness that lasted for the past 3 weeks.

I am going COMP.

Members don't see this ad.

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU!

I have heard all the exact things you have mentioned from a friend of mine who is a COMP 3rd year

it sounds so much better hearing somebody else say somethin that you know deep down inside

sometimes i guess you just need to hear it

i guess i'll be meeting you there!

Great post. I'll probably be going there too.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting this- it is very nice to hear cool things about COMP. I will hopefully hear from them on monday(eek! Kinda nervous), and I really hope I get in. Although TUCOM is great, it just seems like a good idea to stay near my family, and the school itself is pretty cool.

Although I'm sure the first two years will kick my booty, it'll be worth it to get such a good education.

Originally posted by that dr. jack
Although TUCOM is great
:laugh: :laugh: ......Oh wait. You were being serious....;)

I hope you get into COMP as well. Good luck.

Originally posted by Slickness
:laugh: :laugh: ......Oh wait. You were being serious....;)

I hope you get into COMP as well. Good luck.

having worked at pacific hospital with both TUCOM and COMP students, what i have observed is the same as what the docs there tell me: they're the same. period. it's all about either nor call or so cal. i swear to god, the only difference i've seen is that TUCOM students have patches on their white coats, whereas COMP students just have embroidery. they are both equally easy to make blush with crude jokes, and tend to stand in everyone's way in the middle of the bloody OR exactly the same.

i really will consider both when i find out from COMP, but if i don't get in and go to TUCOM, you had better be prepared to either kick my ass in clinicals and boards or get adequately stretched for your "foot in mouth" moment.

:D

Originally posted by that dr. jack
having worked at pacific hospital with both TUCOM and COMP students, what i have observed is the same as what the docs there tell me: they're the same. period. it's all about either nor call or so cal. i swear to god, the only difference i've seen is that TUCOM students have patches on their white coats, whereas COMP students just have embroidery. they are both equally easy to make blush with crude jokes, and tend to stand in everyone's way in the middle of the bloody OR exactly the same.

i really will consider both when i find out from COMP, but if i don't get in and go to TUCOM, you had better be prepared to either kick my ass in clinicals and boards or get adequately stretched for your "foot in mouth" moment.

:D

:love:

Yeah Slickness,

I would really LOVE for you to come up to the Island and tell Brian and I and all of my other classmates what a piece of **** TUCOM is in person. How bout next Fall? Somehow I think you would keep your mouth shut if you had to stand up and tell us all this smack in person.

:rolleyes:

hey, slickness is just enthusiastic about his school...nothing wrong with that. we can all bash the schools. i personally think TUCOM isn't that great either but hey, more power to you if you do!

drjack, you worked at pacific? I shadowed dr. golanty a few times and he wrote my COMP rec letter...needless to say that helped big time. if i'm going DO, I'm on my way to CCOM though =)

elysium, i heard ur hot ;)

Originally posted by NDESTRUKT

drjack, you worked at pacific? I shadowed dr. golanty a few times and he wrote my COMP rec letter...needless to say that helped big time. if i'm going DO, I'm on my way to CCOM though =)

haha, i worked there today! there is nothing so certain as surgeries on saturday at pacific.

i've heard of dr. golanty, and was told by dr. merkel to talk to him. i work in the OR so i usually don't get to see other parts of the place except for the unit and the cafeteria. is he a nice guy?

hey, slickness is just enthusiastic about his school...nothing wrong with that. we can all bash the schools. i personally think TUCOM isn't that great either but hey, more power to you if you do!

elysium, i heard ur hot ;)

I am pretty hot, if I do say so myself (unless you're not into 5'5 blondes with blue eyes who are personal trainers...), which is why I think that Slick wouldn't have the balls to shoot all this smack my way if he ever came face to face. Listen, TUCOM and COMP are basically the same. It ain't a Harvard/Hopkins match up, for the love of God. There are good things about both. I'm just goddamned sick and tired of reading this inane talk about how much Touro sucks, that's all. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

And Slick is only into COMP because he wants to stay in S. Cal. He'll end up going to Drexel or whatever in the end, if he knows what's smart.

Then we'll see....

Now, I'm off to the bar to look hot in person...

;)

Brian-when are you gonna back me up? I'm going to text you right now!

:)

nothing wrong with staying in sunny so cal...it's the bomb here!

:)

"I'm just goddamned sick and tired of reading this inane talk about how much Touro sucks"

I wouldn't let it bother you too much. both provide a good education. Heck, look back at past threads, everyone says that COMP sucks, but most of them are stressed out, disgruntled MS1's, so don't let it get under your skin. just make the best of the education.

you're going to hear a lot more of "touro sucks," during your MS1 year, and unfortunately it will come from fellow stressed out med students.

Originally posted by YellowRose
"I'm just goddamned sick and tired of reading this inane talk about how much Touro sucks"

I wouldn't let it bother you too much. both provide a good education. Heck, look back at past threads, everyone says that COMP sucks, but most of them are stressed out, disgruntled MS1's, so don't let it get under your skin. just make the best of the education.

you're going to hear a lot more of "touro sucks," during your MS1 year, and unfortunately it will come from fellow stressed out med students.

I thought most of them posted here are the 3rd or 4th yr students that arent happy, along with the ones that got kicked out of school...

Members don't see this ad :)
i can't really speak for the students that got kicked out, but i can speak for MS3's. I'm currently an MS3, and don't have any major complaints. I know that most the other MS3's here have supported the school, although there are a few MS3's here and there that don't. But i wouldn't say that most of the complainers here are MS3...i'd say 1-2 at most.

Originally posted by Elysium

Yeah Slickness,

I would really LOVE for you to come up to the Island and tell Brian and I and all of my other classmates what a piece of **** TUCOM is in person. How bout next Fall? Somehow I think you would keep your mouth shut if you had to stand up and tell us all this smack in person.

:laugh: You're too funny Elysium. It was a simple joke and you jump all over my back wanting to kick my ass. I don't know why you dislike COMP so much. You used to be all for COMP some months ago...
Personally, I really loved COMP. I love Southern CA, I like the crazy strip mall campus, love the technology emphasis, and they have a great match list. But that's just me. Everyone is different.

Make up your mind Elysium.:laugh: Perhaps you're so anti COMP because you could have been there right now and you think you made a mistake by waiting another year to attend a school that for all intents and purposes is not as established as COMP? Just a thought...

i will say that COMP seems more established. i don't know too much about touro but COMP has the friendliest people there too. forrealz. that would be a nice place to be for the next four years.

proximity is a huge deal where you go to school, unless you don't have ties to any locale, which can be seen as kind of tragic =(

touro's near SF which is nice too...i bet they get a lot of crap from UCSF'ers though.

Slickness,

I apologize if the following comes across harsh or off-putting, but in addition to continually passing disgruntled judgement about my school, now you are trying to call out my good friend and classmate, Tiffany.

I understand if you think you got jacked when you paid your deposit to attend Touro only to get into Temple a few days later. I am sorry you are out $2000, but that is just part of the game, a part that you were completely aware and informed of; and just because you are out $2000 doesn't make Touro a bad school. It is so terribly obvious how much you losing your deposit has jaded your view of my school; almost as obvious as the fact that one of the only reasons you are so enamored by COMP is that it is like 30 minutes from your home. I (and Tiffany and anyone else who critally analyzes your posts) am pleasantly entertained by your attempt to save face by posting your opinions of both schools in your newest thread, but we all know that if I were to meet you in person and ask, "Seriously, what is so bad about Touro that you would say things like "you purchased a seat there" or "I don't see what is so great about Touro" or "Oh you were being serious when you said Touro is great"?" your first reply would be, "Well COMP is really close to my house..."

And I am sure you are going to defend yourself by saying you were joking or it is just your opinion, but is it possible to joke or express your opinion without being so blatantly disrespectful. If I were to say "Your mama is so fat she sat on a rainbow and skittles came out..." is it invalidated or ok that I said that so long as I say "oh, just kidding...."? Answer: no

And as far as you pulling up Tiffany's posts from who knows when, do you really have that much time on your hands or do you just enjoy abusing your anonymity? Yes, Tiffany was ready to go to COMP last August... I helped her find an apartment that she put a security deposit. But what changed her mind? Could it have been the fact that most everyone that she talked to (first, and second years and alumni of COMP) didn't have the most favorable things to say? Could it be all the reported administrative missteps that current affairs in Pomona? Could it be that she just didn't see herself in the Inland Empire for the next two to four years? Whatever it was, the most important thing is that she hasn't talked smack about COMP like you have about Touro.

And as far as Tiffany expressing a significant level of aggression, not only is it warranted, it is one of Tiffany's defining characteristics; it is one of the reasons she will make an outstanding osteopath. She knows the difference between right and wrong, and will fight and stand proud in the defense of the right.

Ok, I'm done... I hate it that I just posted with the directive of telling someone off, versus adding to the wealth of knowledge that is SDN, but it just had to be done...

Oye...

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Originally posted by ez073323
And I am sure you are going to defend yourself by saying you were joking or it is just your opinion, but is it possible to joke or express your opinion without being so blantantly disrespectful.
I do not appreciate how she threatened me. I would say that is blatantly disrespectful and it shows that she is taking this way too far.

I in no way threatened her, and she did so after I made a joke which was not even that big of an attack on TUCOM. I do wish she would show more maturity seeing as how she is 9 years older than me.

As for the thread I created, it is why I believe COMP is better than TUCOM. Perhaps I am mad I lost $2000 to TUCOM, but that doesn't change the facts of why I believe COMP is better than TUCOM.

EZ, I find it funny how you always defend Elysium as you have done in other threads. I don't know if she is your gf or what and I mean no disrespect. I do believe that her threats were uncalled for.

proximity is a huge deal where you go to school, unless you don't have ties to any locale, which can be seen as kind of tragic =(

I'm confused :confused: How is this tragic?

Everyone will have a tie to something, whatever or wherever that is, unless you happen to be a gypsy (nothing wrong with being a gypsy, either).

Maybe breaking (maybe stretching is a better word) ties is a positive thing, not necessarily a bad thing, even if they are good ties.

Yeah Slickness,

Slickness,

I don't even know why I bother, but this is what I said (see above). No where in that post did I say I was going to "kick your ass". Come on. What I was talking about is you having the guts to say all this stuff about TUCOM to Brian and I in person. That's all. I wasn't trying to start a rumble, you child. I just wish that your praise of COMP didn't have to come at the expense of TUCOM. Can't you just be enthusastic about COMP without bashing someone else's school? Seriously.

And do you really think a 30 year woman is going to open a can of whoop ass on you? Seriously, man.

And here's a strange concept for a 21 year old to understand: Brian is one of my best friends. He is NOT my boyfriend. Boys and girls can be friends, Slick. Crazy, huh? And you know how it upsets you when people talk bad about things you care about (your school, your friends, your family) then you're going to lash out to defend them, which is what Brian has done here.

And I just didn't want to go to COMP, for very legitamate reasons. I do NOT regret the decision at all...certainly, I'm even more excited not to be going to COMP considering the maturity of certain members of the class of 2008.

And now, peanut, I am done with you. I have said all I need to say to you. Just keep digging your own grave on SDN. SO far you're doing a great job (and no, that wasn't a threat either...)

Good luck with your decisions and your career. Seriously.

Tiffany

Elysium,
I would call these threats...
Somehow I think you would keep your mouth shut if you had to stand up and tell us all this smack in person.

and...
I think that Slick wouldn't have the balls to shoot all this smack my way if he ever came face to face.
You're smart. Certainly you can see how these can be construed as threats and are a bit immature. It sounds like something I would have said in high school.

Anyways, I'm not a peanut or a child. Perhaps it is the other way around.
Good luck to you.:rolleyes:

A poor example of tomorrow's physician's...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure who started what - it's been that long since this conflict started. I *do* know that this conflict has spread over several threads now, and both participants are serving to fuel the fire.

Someone please be the adult and be the first to ignore the taunts of the other ...

Originally posted by tkim6599
Someone please be the adult and be the first to ignore the taunts of the other ...
Ok Tae. I apologize for the argument. :)