Let's poll this computer debate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What's the Best computer out there?

• Total voters

dbutz02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best computer out there. I currently have a aging pc and looking to possibly upgrade.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best one is the one you build yourself...cheaper and better!

Its gotten to be its not cheaper to build it yourself, but youll have a superior machine. You can get a cheap ass Dell or something P4 prebuilt... but youd swear its a celeron ;)

Here's the thing. There are Mac users and then there are Pentium users. I myself am a Pentium gal because I can't stand the over-simplified Mac interface. Macs are generally more user friendly for the computer iliterate but I'm not and so dislike them. At any rate, the best Pentium out there depends on what you're looking for. For medical school, I want affordability, speed, and an average amount of memory. For that I chose Dell. If I wanted to upload graphics and do web design, etc., I would go with a Sony because that's really what they are for. Those are a bit more pricey as well. So there's my two cents.

built yourself (or by a friend who can) would be the way to go... it would be cheaper and better... (its only more expensive if you wantTOP of the line)
as for laptops, i would get a toshiba. dells are okay, unless you have a problem... their hardware is proprietary and if something goes wrong you have to send it in to be fixed.
sony laptops are good, but expensive, and the newer hp ones seem to be good as well.
Oh yeah, Macs suck unless you are a graphic designer...
And I would rather have an AMD chip rather than pentium, cheaper, they've had 64 bit for a while, and I like to play games, so they are a little better for that... although most wouldnt be able to tell

i am happily rocking a mac and a pc, i find the combination works rather well.

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

I think that's someone's sig or something and I totally agree :laugh:. I used to hate Macs with a passion until I actually used an OSX machine. Every day that I turn on my Powerbook I am filled with such happiness. I just think, "Man, I own a Powerbook. That's so awesome."

This is more than 6 months after I bought it and I still feel the same way. Owning a Mac just makes you happy; every Mac owner I've talked to says the same thing.

OSX has a simplified interface, but it is also much more flexible and powerful than Windows - the simplification doesn't come at the cost of anything. It's sleek, it's beautiful, it's easy, and it just generally kicks a whole lot of booty. And everything just works; like I said it's been over 6 months, and my Powerbook is just as fast as it was when I first got it. No stupid slowdowns that Windows machines inevitably experience that require reformatting to fix.

Add to that the awesomeness of the exterior design and you end up with a computer that is truly...uh...awesome.

I :love: my Mac.

i think ibm is the best for laptops. sony has some cool models out there, but the build of an ibm is the best. if you want a computer mainly to watch dvds or download songs, i'd get a sony; otherwise get ibm.

if cost is an issue, don't get a centrino notebook. they are slower, no matter what they say. the extra batter life is worthless unless u use ur computer on the go alot. my centrino is small and light, but it is slower then my year older athalon desktop.

medstyle said:
i think ibm is the best for laptops. sony has some cool models out there, but the build of an ibm is the best. if you want a computer mainly to watch dvds or download songs, i'd get a sony; otherwise get ibm.

if cost is an issue, don't get a centrino notebook. they are slower, no matter what they say. the extra batter life is worthless unless u use ur computer on the go alot. my centrino is small and light, but it is slower then my year older athalon desktop.

The IBM computer unit was recently bought by a Chinese company. I don't know if the quality has changed, but you might want to look into that before running out and getting an IBM. Then again most computers are assembled in China. Anyway but there may be some design issues.

cammy1313 said:
Here's the thing. There are Mac users and then there are Pentium users. I myself am a Pentium gal because I can't stand the over-simplified Mac interface. Macs are generally more user friendly for the computer iliterate but I'm not and so dislike them.

If price is the only objective get a PC over a mac, there is really no argument there. But I have to say, for normal computing tasks Mac OS X is much more intuitive than win xp. That being said, you can complicate the interface if you want to (go use terminal and have at it with unix) but who really wants a more complicated interface? Also, no virii and no spyware, no random crashes, ilife, seamless compatibility with MS office software on PCs.

My friends have lost too much time and had too many headaches thanks to windows xp. I would definetly recommend a mac.

Don't confuse oversimplification with an interface being intuitive. Having used both OS X and Windows operating systems about equally, OS X just makes more sense. Why should I complicate my life just so that I can say that I use a "more complicated " operating system. Especially since most people don't use a computer for programming purposes anyways. Call me simple, call me dumbed down, but at the end of the day I am using the more elegant of the OS's out there. Buy Apple and not just because they make the ipod.

Build your own...you'll know what to do when things go wrong. And run Linux, so things don't go wrong ;)