Let’s say you got the opportunity to sit with the CEO of APhA and ACPE...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you want them to know about the pharmacy labor force today? And a solution for each point? This is for all pharmacist. Might want to specify what type of pharmacy you practice (community vs other)

Asking for a friend.

Members don't see this ad.

So people complain about the profession and how everything sucks in half the post. Now you have the attention of the powers that be and silence. Okay....

What would you want them to know about the pharmacy labor force today? And a solution for each point? This is for all pharmacist. Might want to specify what type of pharmacy you practice (community vs other)

Asking for a friend.

As a community RPH getting ready to LeanFIRE, I would remind them of the wealth gap in our labor force today. The burden of loans and debt on so many RPH, young and old.

There is no solution that they can provide. Caveat emptor.

Members don't see this ad :)

Asking for a friend.

Apha has been doing the birdbox challenge

Reactions: 1 users
If I had the opportunity to speak directly to the board of directors for NASCAR I would tell them “Your work has nothing to do with my job, so why are we in this room together?”

Same thing.

Well first of all...NASCAR's former CEO, Brian France, is fighting an illegal possession of oxycodone and will never be involved in the business again. Second, APHA, ACPE, AACP, and the BOP do not base their decisions anymore on the interest of the public but act as corporate shareholders in a make believe corporation. Greed is killing the profession and has also killed patients. I honestly don't know how they respect the Oath of a Pharmacist. Either they are incompetent or ignorant and neither is a good principle. I have been in a room with some of these people and I wish I could say great things that expand the profession and make your heart swore but in the end they either have no new ideas or are just "yes" people that don't care how or what they vote on.

i would waste me breath telling them all about saturation, salaries dropping, working conditions...etc. they would say "well look into it". The problems will continue to grow as their pockets get fatter. what do they care anymore. This profession is so far gone, i dont think anything could save it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they should make their membership dues for pharmacists lower. Like all of the sudden you're a pharmacist and they jack the fees way up. Reason why I haven't been a member of either organization since leaving school (hello, student loans).

I think the conditions for community pharmacy need to be vastly improved. Never really was impressed that APhA was doing anything along these lines (this is coming from a hospital pharmacist so...).

What I would do is show them this, AACP can hold schools accountable for admitting unprepared students and unaccredite them. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SCHOOLS TO POST NAPLEX PASS RATES IN THE 50'S TO HOLD ACCREDITATION!!!. I would argue so far as to say any school under 80% pass rate should be put on probation and shut down if their scores do not improve.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.36.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.36.13 PM.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.36.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.36.23 PM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.36.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.36.46 PM.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.37.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 2.37.15 PM.png
    7 KB · Views: 79
What I would do is show them this, AACP can hold schools accountable for admitting unprepared students and unaccredite them. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SCHOOLS TO POST NAPLEX PASS RATES IN THE 50'S TO HOLD ACCREDITATION!!!. I would argue so far as to say any school under 80% pass rate should be put on probation and shut down if their scores do not improve.
hahahaha touro

ACPE needs to start doing their job

And this is why Fairleigh Dickinson doesn't scare me as an NJ pharmacist :cool:

You have answered part of the question on how to trim back. Now just keep thinking if you were in their shoes on how to keep revenue up while admission seats go down.

I'm gonna walk in on orientation day to some school one day and just sit down and see if anyone notices......lol

I'm gonna walk in on orientation day to some school one day and just sit down and see if anyone notices......lol

They might try to convince you to enroll. LOL

1) I would like it if pharmacy schools are mandated to present their data on employment after graduation, salary, and student debt to their prospective students at multiple occasions (interview, open house, orientation, etc).
Not only present it, but analyze and explain what the data means.
This would help students make better informed decision on whether pharmacy is a career worth pursuing despite debt load, lower salary, and risk of unemployment.

2) Metrics are being discussed on other threads and some argue they should be banned.
I wouldn't necessary say metrics should be banned but shouldn't be used to punish or incentivize employees.
For example, I think pharmacists should have as much time as they need to make the Rx's ready for the sake of patient safety.
If they're under pressure to meet the ready by promised time, errors are more likely happen (wrong medication, wrong sig, not catching drug interactions, etc).

3) Also for the sake of patient safety, I think pharmacists should be mandated to take a break if they're working certain hours.
Fatigue leads to more errors.

4) I would like it if certain combination of medications are banned; for example, opioid, benzo, & soma.

Welp, I guess some of these aren't labor force related. I work in a retail.

1) I would like it if pharmacy schools are mandated to present their data on employment after graduation, salary, and student debt to their prospective students at multiple occasions (interview, open house, orientation, etc).
Not only present it, but analyze and explain what the data means.
This would help students make better informed decision on whether pharmacy is a career worth pursuing despite debt load, lower salary, and risk of unemployment.

2) Metrics are being discussed on other threads and some argue they should be banned.
I wouldn't necessary say metrics should be banned but shouldn't be used to punish or incentivize employees.
For example, I think pharmacists should have as much time as they need to make the Rx's ready for the sake of patient safety.
If they're under pressure to meet the ready by promised time, errors are more likely happen (wrong medication, wrong sig, not catching drug interactions, etc).

3) Also for the sake of patient safety, I think pharmacists should be mandated to take a break if they're working certain hours.
Fatigue leads to more errors.

4) I would like it if certain combination of medications are banned; for example, opioid, benzo, & soma.

Welp, I guess some of these aren't labor force related. I work in a retail.
Patient safety should always be a priority. Angry patients are better than dead ones.

This is happening in every industry. Everywhere. Hence why millennials are so irritated they would rather live cheaply than count on a decent paying job. Eff your houses and car Boomers.