Letter from Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc1459

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tufts requires a letter verifying the 30 hrs spent shadowing. I shadowed a relative, so I didn't have this person write any recommendation letters but I'm assuming that I can use him to write the letter to simply verify the hours right? Also, does this have to use the recommendation form through aadsas or schools? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically it should be fine, especially if you are able to talk intelligently about the dental field. I have hear that it helps if you have the dentist you shadowed point out at least one thing you need to improve...it helps it not to look too biased.

Tufts requires a letter verifying the 30 hrs spent shadowing. I shadowed a relative, so I didn't have this person write any recommendation letters but I'm assuming that I can use him to write the letter to simply verify the hours right? Also, does this have to use the recommendation form through aadsas or schools? Thanks

Im in a similar situation. I have been working for nearly 3 years (1500+ hours) with my uncle (whos a dentist obviously :p ), and he has been teaching me a ton in the past 3 years and allowing me practice on models (milling out restorations with his CEREC) and all that fun stuff. But like you said a relative isnt the best LOR choice so Id like to hear what other people have done in this situation. Im planning on shadowing an OMFS I know so maybe he will be good choice, but I hope my uncle can at least verify these hours.

*Im not applying until next cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know that there is someone else out there in the same situation. I'm not having him write any sort of recommendation because that would be really biased and unprofessional. I worked as an assistant for 3 years also and I've learned so much so I definitley would be able to speak intelligently about it.

I shadowed a dentist who is not my relative, he wrote my recommendation, but did not indicate how much time i shadowed him for. I called them and they said he should just write 1-2 sentances to confirm i shadowed him for over 30 hrs. I would just call them to make sure it's what they are looking for. They are very nice about it. I think it should be fine though.

I just had my first interview. I have over 200+ hours in the last couple years shadowing my father-in-law (DDS) and others in his practice. One interviewer suggested that this was a weakness. In his words "Shadowing with a relative is like a gift, you should try and shadow several dentists that are not in his practice."

So.....Now I have calls out to 10-12 of the dentists in my area (If they want quantity of dentist shadowing that is what I will provide!)

Good Luck!:cool:

I just had my first interview. I have over 200+ hours in the last couple years shadowing my father-in-law (DDS) and others in his practice. One interviewer suggested that this was a weakness. In his words "Shadowing with a relative is like a gift, you should try and shadow several dentists that are not in his practice."

So.....Now I have calls out to 10-12 of the dentists in my area (If they want quantity of dentist shadowing that is what I will provide!)

Good Luck!:cool:

See I believe that is complete garbage :mad: . Ive learned more from my uncle than I would from any other dentist because he is willing to take the time to teach me more and let me use his handpieces and other machines any time I want. I have complete freedom at all time to try whatever I want (legally of course). He also can put some responsibilites on me that other dentists wouldnt want to do. He even bought me a $250 model with replacable teeth that I can do preps and restorations on. What non-related dentists would do that?

I agree its good to shadow other dentists to get a good perspective of the field, but saying working with a relative is a weakness I think is bogus. Thats just my opinion.