Letter of Intent 1 page length issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrow O'Lykos

Hail Libertas! - Medical Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm composing my LOI to my top choice (the school permits for one LOI for those waitlisted post-interview) and I know these sorts of things should be kept to one page. However, with proper formatting that the school dictates takes up a good third of the page's lines already (as evidenced below). Should I split this into a cover page with a one line sentence saying "please refer to the letter on the following page" followed by a full page LOI and save it all as 1 PDF?

(imagine this in the word doc now. I've removed the affiliated school and replaced the text with what goes there):

-------------
February 6th, 2020

John Doe
Director of Admissions
Name of Medical School
Name of Campus
Physical Address
City, State, Zip

Dear John Doe,

[body begins]
--------------

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm composing my LOI to my top choice (the school permits for one LOI for those waitlisted post-interview) and I know these sorts of things should be kept to one page. However, with proper formatting that the school dictates takes up a good third of the page's lines already (as evidenced below). Should I split this into a cover page with a one line sentence saying "please refer to the letter on the following page" followed by a full page LOI and save it all as 1 PDF?
Anyone can word vomit into a document, but being able to edit and keep things succinct is an important skill. The more that's written, the more diluted everything becomes. So, keep the LOI short and sweet. Even one full page is too long for most applicants. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Should I split this into a cover page with a one line sentence saying "please refer to the letter on the following page" followed by a full page LOI and save it all as 1 PDF?

I suggest you go with a title page and table of contents before the cover page. After the main text you'll need an epilogue, glossary, index, and the requisite appendices.

And don't rule out a dust jacket.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you go with a title page and table of contents before the cover page. After the main text you'll need an epilogue, glossary, index, and the requisite appendices.

And don't rule out a dust jacket.

Please please please don't forget to list references as well. kappa

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Keep it simple, keep it short, keep it on brand with why you want to be there.

My old biochem professor used to write "brevity is the soul of wit, do not convince me that you are witless" on the top of all our exams.

Good luck!

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
Would you go with footnotes or endnotes?
Footnotes so the adcom doesn’t have to flip back and forth. If they become exasperated, they’ll just trash the LOI :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You can always quote Mark Twain:
"I apologize for such a long letter - I didn't have time to write a short one.”

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Footnotes so the adcom doesn’t have to flip back and forth. If they become exasperated, they’ll just trash the LOI :rolleyes:

(imagine this in the word doc now. I've removed the affiliated school and replaced the text with what goes there):

-------------
February 6th, 2020

John Doe
Director of Admissions
Name of Medical School
Name of Campus
Physical Address
City, State, Zip

Dear John Doe,

[body begins]
--------------

Thanks for your input!

lol! Agree: Footnotes might be more efficient and considerate.

but in all seriousness, is the address/zip, even necessary? I assume you’re emailing the letter? That’s already 6 lines that take up precious space.

They have your application, your grades, and your MCAT score. They have interviewed you. They certainly don't need a detailed recapitulation of what you've previously told them. A long letter--at this long juncture--would be folly. Succinctly tell them why you fit their mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
but in all seriousness, is the address/zip, even necessary? I assume you’re emailing the letter? That’s already 6 lines that take up precious space.

I even confirmed with the admissions office on the phone and that's how they want it. Hence why I was asking a serious question and didn't need people to troll this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.