1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Letter of Intent even more useless with new AMCAS protocol?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by butterypancakes, Dec 4, 2018.

1. butterypancakes

Have LOIs become even more useless now since schools can't see how many acceptances you hold in February?

Whats to stop someone from lying on a letter and saying they hold other acceptances? I feel like adcoms will be very wary about LOIs since they do not know whether or not they actually do hold other acceptances.

2. angrytheanimal

Pre-Medical
    There’s a new “choose your tool” I think that help medical schools with the new protocol in place. But I’m still not sure how much schools sees if anything if you don’t choose “plan/commit to enroll”

3. theKingLT

Pre-Medical
    They can't see individual choices, only aggregate numbers with no names attached. Some schools are very adamant about sending them, others couldn't care less. Op just ask about it when you interview and if they say they encourage them then send one. Couldn't hurt

4. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Half Man, Half Bear, Half Pig

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I may be wrong, but I think they'll actually be more useful now rather than less, especially during this first year where schools are still getting used to the new system. Since they can't see where you've been accepted anymore, that's one less variable they can use to determine how likely you are to attend their school. This makes it harder to predict yield. An applicant who sends a LOI would be more likely to matriculate and therefore a "safer" choice to offer an acceptance to.

DokterMom, ClimbsRox and Drakozord X like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    butterypancakes

But applicants can now lie about holding acceptances from other schools in their letter when they actually aren’t? Ethically it’s wrong, but it would still be a safer bet for the med school since that’s their only choice in reality.

6. Med Ed

Physician Faculty 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Students could always lie about this, which is one of the reasons that LOIs tend to carry no weight in the admissions process. In the vast majority of circumstances the only thing a LOI reliably tells a school is that the applicant took the time to write one.

Goro and Osteosaur like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    butterypancakes

And I guess now there’s no way for them to check if applicants are lying, which is why I think LOIs are less meaningful this cycle.

8. Laix

you mean at any cycle.

9. OP
    OP
    butterypancakes

Well by February of previous cycles schools could see how many acceptances an applicant was holding. Now they can’t.

10. Laix

What difference does that make?

Applicant: Look at me I have 4 acceptances but I still really want you
    School:*see the 4 acceptances and be like "Cool, I know you want to come here. Wait, you could be writing this to other schools as well. "

Applicant: Hello, I have 4 acceptances and I really want you
    School thinking: "Should I take your word for it? Are you lying? I know you want to come here. Wait, you could be writing this to other schools as well. "

11. Med Ed

Physician Faculty 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In prior years there was no way to check this until quite late in the cycle, and even then the applicant could be referencing an osteopathic school or foreign MD school, neither of which would turn up in the previously available reports.

Goro likes this.
  12. DokterMom

DokterMom SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    And there's also the "Glad to hear it - Congratulations! Bye!" response that I hear is pretty common.

I may not see all the angles, but the only really good reason I see to mention other acceptances is to ask about financial aid at schools that have already accepted you.

Expressing interest / intent at a school that hasn't accepted you already may be helpful with the new traffic rules, but I don't believe that lying about holding other acceptances would make you more desirable. On the contrary, it could make you seem less likely to attend, so hurt your chances of an acceptance they haven't already granted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Goro likes this.
  13. gonnif

gonnif Only 600 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Despite the speculation, in regard to LOIs , there is near zero difference this cycle compared to previous cycles in what information a school will have when making admissions decisions. Indeed, in some ways, schools will have more info.

1) in previous cycles, no acceptance report was released before February. So there is no difference until then
    2) The previous February Multiple Acceptance Report allowed only a school that accepted you to see all other schools that accepted you.
    3) this new AMCAS tool will allow the acceptee to select a school with either “plan to enroll” or “commit to enroll.” AMCAS is advising schools to individually and formally require applicants to use this system.
    4) schools will then see which of their acceptees have selected either plan or commit to enroll. They will also see in aggregate numbers acceptees have chosen a different school. Think about this. Schools will see which acceptees have selected their school and obviously know which acceptees didnt. They can decide which of these they may want to entice with $$. BTW, this report is designed for schools to plan number of acceptances and WL. The concern about which students are attending is secondary.
    5) the previous early April National Acceptance Report allowed all schools to see all acceptees and all acceptances in detail. No waitlist info was included
    6) the new AMCAS tool will have a late April 30 Report that will allow any school that has accepted or alternate to see if you committed to enroll at their school or not. So while they will not see the name of other school, they will see both acceptance and alternate status. So a school that had waitlisted you and see you havent gotten an acceptance may influence your final acceptance.
    7) so for applicants without an acceptance or on a WL, there is NO difference from previous cycles and this cycle up until April 1st.
    8) In April, schools making final acceptance and WL decisions will not know anything about an applicant’s status at other schools. This means they will make decisions in the “blind” as they should. Despite the perception, schools rarely, if ever, used previous National Acceptance Report for making acceptance decisions on individual applicants; they used it for aggregate enrollment planning.
    9) after April 30, any school that has you on a WL will know if you have been accepted somewhere else.
    10) as I have said in the past, LOIs generally have little impact (with some school specific exceptions). It is near myth that schools chase acceptees. Except for the few true superstars, schools do not compete to get your enrollment. Schools will see your plan or commit to enroll status prior to April 30 and both your enrollment and WL status after April 30.
    11) and there is still discussions among schools and AMCAS to add an option in this system that allows applicant to release of all info to all schools. And a school could require any applicant to select this option.
    12) so everyone chill out on this new report system. It has zero difference for most all situations

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...