Letter of Intent Examples?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to share letter of intent examples? Most examples I've come across on SDN are just letters of interest. I'm trying to gauge whether they should be short and sweet, or if I should elaborate about the reasons I love the school.

Members don't see this ad.

The only "letter of intent" we might remotely consider valid is from someone who is already holding an acceptance from a "better" (or cheaper) school after traffic day.
Otherwise, it's just another example of pillow talk.

Reactions: 1 user
The only "letter of intent" we might remotely consider valid is from someone who is already holding an acceptance from a "better" (or cheaper) school after traffic day.
Otherwise, it's just another example of pillow talk.
Well then it looks like your school isn't the one I'm sending a letter of intent to. The dean of admissions, a couple members of the admissions staff, and multiple current med students at this school all told me to write a letter of intent (if I intend to go there, of course).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well then it looks like your school isn't the one I'm sending a letter of intent to. The dean of admissions, a couple members of the admissions staff, and multiple current med students at this school all told me to write a letter of intent (if I intend to go there, of course).
Some folks believe pillow talk, too...
Give them what they want, then. Flattery is common, I hear.

Reactions: 1 users
Only do this if you actually intend to go to the school and aren't using it as your backup. If you actually wanted to go to the school and it is a fit, then speaking from the heart is the way to go(and should be easy to do) . Can't come on here asking us to write a letter about the school that you say you want to go to.

Only do this if you actually intend to go to the school and aren't using it as your backup. If you actually wanted to go to the school and it is a fit, then speaking from the heart is the way to go(and should be easy to do) . Can't come on here asking us to write a letter about the school that you say you want to go to.
You must have misread my OP. Not asking anyone to write my letter for me, just want the general format/length.

this thread is so condescending and unhelpful. Wish I could help walloobi

Reactions: 38 users
"I'll still respect you in the morning" usually works.
So much cynicism!

If anyone actually has a real answer to my question by the way, that would be just great.

How would YOU interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant???
1) I'm not desperate, I'm fortunate enough to have other acceptances at wonderful schools
2) It doesn't matter how I'd interpret it, it matters how the school would interpret it and I already explained that multiple people from the school (including the dean of admissions) told me to write a letter of intent if I intend to go there
3) Respectfully, stop derailing the thread. I didn't ask anyone's opinion on whether or not I should write the letter.

Reactions: 23 users
1) I'm not desperate, I'm fortunate enough to have other acceptances at wonderful schools
2) It doesn't matter how I'd interpret it, it matters how the school would interpret it and I already explained that multiple people from the school (including the dean of admissions) told me to write a letter of intent if I intend to go there
3) Respectfully, stop derailing the thread. I didn't ask anyone's opinion on whether or not I should write the letter.
Didn't mean to be rude... I was just saying, it shouldn't be hard to talk about why you fit in with the school... I mean you want to go there over other schools right? Write why... not more than a 1/2 a page to a page.. Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I'll play nice. You've been a good SDNer.

I recommend a compare and contrast letter.

I want to go to your school because...

I am gladly willing to turn down XSOM because...
(do NOT bash this school, but critically assess why you don't want to go there.)

Be humble, but don't grovel. I also like kgizzle's suggestion of short and sweet.

And good luck...and congrats on the accepts!

Reactions: 7 users
Reactions: 3 users
Gtown seems to be excessively needy for attention in this regard, like my teenage son or Der Trumppenfuhrer.

I know why most schools don't take these seriously but there are some that actually do apparently. Some even require em and sometimes I have heard that not communicating interest pre-interview is a major negative at some schools according to the school's Dean of Admissions. @Goro

I wrote letters of intent to 2 of the TX schools that I was very interested in, and received 2 IIs a few days after. They acknowledged they received them. It could def. be a coincidence, but it didn't hurt.

Reactions: 1 users
OK, I'll play nice. You've been a good SDNer.

I recommend a compare and contrast letter.

I want to go to your school because...

I am gladly willing to turn down XSOM because...
(do NOT bash this school, but critically assess why you don't want to go there.)

Be humble, but don't grovel. I also like kgizzle's suggestion of short and sweet.

And good luck...and congrats on the accepts!
Thanks for the help, Goro. This seems like a great way to go. Love the new cat picture by the way!
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=6325

She posted an example of her LOI which ultimately helped get her in!

Other tips:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-do-i-write-a-letter-of-intent.690354/#post-9060542

I know why most schools don't take these seriously but there are some that actually do apparently. Some even require em and sometimes I have heard that not communicating interest pre-interview is a negative at some schools according to the school's Dean of Admissions. @Goro
Thanks!

I wrote letters of intent to 2 of the TX schools that I was very interested in, and received 2 IIs a few days after. They acknowledged they received them. It could def. be a coincidence, but it didn't hurt.
Oh snap, I going to get right on it :D

I think you're referring to letters of interest, not letters of intent

Some things on this site have become gospel for reasons unclear to me. I think unfortunately once one adcom poster says something it gets inscribed on a tablet somewhere and repeated ad nauseum.

There are a number of medical schools that do like these letters, some of them are really good ones. The school I attended happened to be one, and I wrote a LOI and ended up talking to the dean on the phone to directly express my interest (not my fault! I called the office with a question and they said oh hang on and put me on with him). At the end of the conversation he offered me a spot and I took it and withdrew my other acceptances.

If a school has told you they value these letters and it is your top choice, by all means write one.

The other attached post, from a time on this site when you could actually get some decent answers without being shouted down, had some good advice about how to compose a letter.

Reactions: 12 users